Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The biggest problems affecting Warframe right now, + thoughts from a 3k hour Vet

AvgWarframeEnjoyer

I liked everything I read about the changes to the game modes. I'm in full support of it and I hope DE can improve on older game types like this instead of just driving full speed ahead. I would actually get excited and look forward to doing a mobile defense or a survival if it had some of the design choices that you mentioned. Right now, I groan having to do a defense mission for an alert.

I can't really comment on the changes to said Warrames because I don't trust myself to know anything about design or balancing. Obviously I want Warframes that are fun and interesting mechanically, but I can't offer any solutions myself.

I agree that mods could use some reworking to make others more viable. It is a pity to just copy+paste the same mods on every Warframe and every weapon. I'm just not sure that I agree with your solution. Again, I place no stock in my ability to balance something like this so I can't say if what you suggest is ideal or not. But I still fully support them being reworked.

I loved being a newb in the game and figuring things out. It can be a bit daunting at times, sure. I think that experience is subjective, but it certainly could offer a bit more guidance for people that are put off from being thrown into the universe to fend for themselves. I can however comment that there needs to be more for Vets. I'm only starting to get into PoE so I can't call myself a vet, but I'm interested and excited by the more difficult content and better rewards. I wish they could provide more end-game content in other places within the game, so I agree with everything you said about vets and the lack of content available to them. Even now, its a bit jarring to go from doing bounties and farming Teralyst to jumping back into a survival mode and getting crap for a reward. It sucks because I prefer the older mission types to the wide empty land of PoE, but I like the rewards and the challenge on PoE much more than the traditional survival mode.

Hello everyone !

I will try to be brief so as not to reproduce what is above.

I have read your book several times.

You are contradictory and irrational. You like the game so much that you want to criticize it. When we like a game we do not criticize it and if we criticize it we should not play it.

An example ? Myself. I love this game so much that I defend it, as well as its developers, and therfore the work they did to make this game what it is today.

I agree that the community is proposing changes, but here you are asking to change a very large part of the game.

We get results little by little, not by displaying all his frustration at once. 

Warframe is a very good game, and it will be even more so during the updates.

Thank you for taking the time to decipher my french-glish and wish you all good game 😉

(Sorry for any English mistakes)

3000 hours? That's all? 3000 hours to me doesn't come close to "vet"...that's just 125 days!! You need a lot more hours in game....

Like us real vets who have 10,000+ hours in game, yeah, that's a whole lotta time...

Hang in there, but something tells me you won't get to 6000 before u stop playing warframe and start playing something else.....

Appreciate the post....Hats off to the new guy.....

Game modes: Pretty much agree. More challenge and diverse gameplay is always good. Gambit I can't see working in WF unless you leave out the invasion component, because anything PvP is simply broken.

Frames: Agreed on the part of making augments the default for many abilities. It'd basically be some slight QoL for frames who badly need it. Other than that I like many of the ideas about ability changes. Many frames could do with a Pablo treatment, i. e. making abilities synergize in a way that makes sense or simply make them not bad anymore, like Mag.

Mods: Instead of removing default mods another idea would be to upgrade weapons themselves. Obviously the cost to max out weapons should be lower than maxing out Serration to make having a full arsenal feasible. Maybe even tie the cost to Riven disposition. And Riven locking should definitely be a thing. Maybe make it so that you can cycle only one slot on that Riven, similar to rerolling item stats in Diablo 3.

Player engagement: Big agree.

DE and bugs: Oh boy. DE always had bad priorities when fixing bugs. In the early days of JV you weren't able to get injectors unless you used the Atlas + Nekros exploit. So people literally had to use an exploit to work around a bug. DE then proceeded to fix the Atlas + Nekros exploit before fixing the injector drops, making the raid impossible to complete for some time. So really the only reason why people like to hoard their exploits is because of DE getting their priorities wrong as well as sometimes even punishing people reporting the bugs.

Community: The community definitely became more casual, more complacent about what DE delivers. Remember Vivergate? I doubt you'd get that much of a reaction to a similar situation nowadays.

The rest: I have no expectations for Fortuna after PoE honestly. Same old same old.

Now the thing you didn't touch upon is the difficulty level of the enemies. With all the buffs you are proposing you also need to balance out the powercreep that comes with it. I don't have any ideas how to go about that even with the current version. To put it bluntly the current balancing is already #*!%ed.

EDIT: I #*!%ing knew those kind of people would show up eventually.

7 hours ago, xXGabriHellXx said:

You are contradictory and irrational. You like the game so much that you want to criticize it. When we like a game we do not criticize it and if we criticize it we should not play it. 

We criticize things because we want those things to improve. He even proposed changes that could be made instead of just ranting. If the game could become even better then why not? Sometimes improvement also means going away from doing business as usual and thinking outside the box.

Edited by uxx0

4 hours ago, uxx0 said:

[SNIP]

EDIT: I #*!%ing knew those kind of people would show up eventually.

We criticize things because we want those things to improve. He even proposed changes that could be made instead of just ranting. If the game could become even better then why not? Sometimes improvement also means going away from doing business as usual and thinking outside the box.

Honestly, what OP is suggesting isn't even thinking out of the box. Most of his post boils down to one thing and is quite simple: DE should revisit old content, and give it the same treatment they give new content. So much of the game is still dependent on doing the older mission types, like survival and defense, but they aren't anywhere near as rewarding as the newer stuff you do on PoE and likely soon to be Fortuna. Normally I'd just say whatever, move on and just stick to the new content, but the game forces the player to go back and replay these experiences incessantly. They are outdated, and need some new gameplay mechanics and rewards.

EDIT: I realize that the way I worded my response might come across as an insult to the OP by saying he isn't thinking outside the box. I'm not trying to be condescending. I agree with a lot of what OP said, I'm just trying to point out that the OP's solution isn't way out there. It isn't some huge outlandish proposal. On the contrary, it is a very reasonable suggestion that I hope DE looks into.

Edited by IntheCoconut
clarification

That was quite the read but also an excellent post. I may not agree with everything but I do agree with most of it.

If you really play this game and I mean REALLY play it then you know what this topic is saying. 

I really hope this post gets a lot of traction.

- Sincerely, another over 3k hours player.

1 minute ago, IntheCoconut said:

Honestly, what OP is suggesting isn't even thinking out of the box. Most of his post boils down to one thing and is quite simple: DE should revisit old content, and give it the same treatment they give new content. So much of the game is still dependent on doing the older mission types, like survival and defense, but they aren't anywhere near as rewarding as the newer stuff you do on PoE and likely soon to be Fortuna. Normally I'd just say whatever, move on and just stick to the new content, but the game forces the player to go back and replay these experiences incessantly. They are outdated, and need some new gameplay mechanics and rewards.

I could've left out the last sentence, true. My point was more that you shouldn't do things the same way over and over again. I call Fortuna Plains of Venus for a good reason.

42 minutes ago, (XB1)T0PP HATT said:

3000 hours? That's all? 3000 hours to me doesn't come close to "vet"...that's just 125 days!! You need a lot more hours in game....

Like us real vets who have 10,000+ hours in game, yeah, that's a whole lotta time...

Hang in there, but something tells me you won't get to 6000 before u stop playing warframe and start playing something else.....

You mistake vet for old-geezer.

Vet = Someone that has been around for a lengthy time gathering knowledge/experience about something.

Old-geezer = Someone that has been around for gods know how long, talking about "I remember the olden days when we didnt have X and we had to walk uphill both ways when going to school". These people also tend to think they have a far better knowledge, mostly false when it comes to games because their old-geezer time is mostly spent in a hub, trading or doing simply daily tasks (believe me, been there and done that in a few games). Ah the good old times farming poinless stuff in WoW while watching TV-shows or movies, gave me mad in-game knowledge and experience above what I already knew.

Doing something for even just several hundred hours is alot when it comes to gathering knowledge and experience. 3000h is over one year of experience with something if you look at it from a work perspective. From an avarage gamer perspective you are looking at over 2 years of experience.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

You mistake vet for old-geezer.

Vet = Someone that has been around for a lengthy time gathering knowledge/experience about something.

Old-geezer = Someone that has been around for gods know how long, talking about "I remember the olden days when we didnt have X and we had to walk uphill both ways when going to school". These people also tend to think they have a far better knowledge, mostly false when it comes to games because their old-geezer time is mostly spent in a hub, trading or doing simply daily tasks (believe me, been there and done that in a few games). Ah the good old times farming poinless stuff in WoW while watching TV-shows or movies, gave me mad in-game knowledge and experience above what I already knew.

Doing something for even just several hundred hours is alot when it comes to gathering knowledge and experience. 3000h is over one year of experience with something if you look at it from a work perspective. From an avarage gamer perspective you are looking at over 2 years of experience.

So you are telling me that Draco isn't the place to level the best weapon in the game the tonkor?

What a game.  Next you will tell me I can't just stay in a Capture mission to farm resources from enemies.

Edited by Saturmorn_Carvilli

Here's my unofficial take on all this.

To the OP, you mention how many hours you have played in the title and several more times during the post. People always like to mention this as it allows them to 'argue from authority', ie. their opinion matters because they are more of an expert on a subject.

However they way I see it is just from someone who has spent enough time on an activity and who will now naturally be becoming bored and doesn't want to feel like the previous time invested hasn't been squandered, hence the need to post and vent some stress with suggestions for more new experiences. Humans are loss adverse, we feel loss far greater than any gains and not accepting that games like all forms of entertainment have a best before date ties into those feelings.

To put it in perspective think how much money you've spent in the time you've played to get an entertainment value of cents per hour. At 3000+ hours you'll probably find it has been far more economical than any book, movie, tv series etc. You haven't lost out because you have already banked your entertainment value.

Warframe will be what it is and will continue to develop the way it will. It's like a relationship, the best and strongest ones are where the people don't try to change each other to fit their goals but accept each other for who they are.

That said it's always good sometimes to vent and relieve stress, provide feedback/suggestions, but you also have to be reasonable and understand that sometimes it's best to find those new challenges elsewhere or to take a break.

1 hour ago, German said:

There are more than 200 people working on Warframe. There are definitely at least some that browse through general discussions, the community team def does.

this thread would have been better off in the feedback section (where DE actually goes for feedback) from the beginning

2 hours ago, Peter said:

1.5k hour* this isn't a vet, you still have so much to play.

2 hours ago, (XB1)T0PP HATT said:

Is this an attempt to discredit this player's opinion on the basis of determining whether or not they are a "vet"?

Allow me to illustrate this scenario by saying I buy a new car. Let us also say that I have driven a grand total of 3000 hours, while you have driven yours for a grand total of 10,000. When I express my misgivings on this particular model of car can you (credibly) say that you've driven the car longer and hence my findings are inaccurate? The answer is no, because that is simply not how the world works. I don't have to drive a new car for 10,000 hours to be capable of recognizing several flaws in its design. You having driven the same model for longer doesn't somehow discredit my findings.

If you disagree, why not actually cite a passage and type out some solid reasoning? Perhaps you could provide an example as well? I dare suggest you put some thought into something you post on the internet? You might have 10,000 hours in game, but what is it worth if you aren't going to do anything with it aside from bragging? While I may not agree with everything he wrote I can refrain from questioning how much time is a lot of time. Sure you've got 7,000 more hours, but he's got just over 9000 more words which form full sentences, and then paragraphs which utilize conventions of logic and reasoning.

While it may be true that this player has spent "just" 34.2% of of an entire year playing a particular video game, it shouldn't drastically change their credibility compared to someone with double, or even triple that amount of playtime so long as they provide sufficient evidence and reasoning to back their claims. This holds especially true in a game which has much repetition as Warframe does. As he pointed out, there comes a point in Warframe where all content is essentially the same stuff on repeat. Anyone who has played through all of this stuff even a single time should be more than capable of reflecting their opinion on it and providing constructive feedback.

3 hours ago, uxx0 said:

I could've left out the last sentence, true. My point was more that you shouldn't do things the same way over and over again. I call Fortuna Plains of Venus for a good reason.

Oh and I fully agree! I'm all for innovation! I mean, I'll wait before passing judgement on Venus, especially because I am very uninformed about it. It looks exactly like you say, a Plains of Venus, but I'm hoping that I'm just out of the loop. I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing - if they choose to just take PoE and build on it by offering new mechanics and gameplay, I think that's fine. But that brings us to our current dilemma, which is that DE continues to add new content that introduce new gameplay and mechanics, but it is always contained to that new content, and isn't added into older content.

A lot of other games (WoW for instance) will release new content, making the older content obsolete and irrelevant. That has happened from time to time in Warframe, but that isn't normally what happens here. Usually, new content comes out, but the old content remains relevant only because it is required for a lot of the content.

There are three solutions:

Method one is to simply plow ahead, releasing new content but never going back to update older game modes. As mentioned, that older content doesn't just fade away to be forgotten and unplayed. The game structures it so that a lot of old content (all the survival, defense, sabotage, etc.) still requires the playerbase to play it. With this method, we can look forward to new content and then begrudgingly return to older, outdated content whenever the game requires it of us. This is DE's current method.

Option two is to start deleting old content from the game. This is my least preferred option, and unfortunately its been done a few times already, with raids in particular. I am fine with trimming the fat, but Warframe has a lot of good and decent old content, it just needs to be reworked and restructured so that it remains relevant in a positive way.

Number three is OP's suggestion, which is to revisit aaaaallll the old content and systems that have been in the game mostly since launch and give them the same treatment that the new content has been given. Rework the reward pools and introduce more dynamic gameplay. As far as we know, DE has no intention of benching defense, survival, etc. because if they did we'd be left with nothing but PoE and the upcoming Venus. These old game modes make up a staggering amount of the content in Warframe, and yet it is lagging behind. 

I might not agree with everything that was suggested in the OP, but I still hope that someone from DE reads this and takes it into consideration. Warframe has a good structure in place, but I think instead of expanding, they need to build upon what is already in the game.

It is true, the game has many problems and is extremely boring.

But if you write here and you already accumulate 1500+ hours of play, the DE response is usually:

"... thank you for believing that Warframe deserved 1500+ hours of your time!"

What translated means: "... if you have invested 1500+ hours and spent thousands of dollars, we already got what you were looking for from you".

Way too long of a post, I gave it a try but every section I landed on within the body of it trying to skim off the top of it wasn't getting to a point. I mean scrolling through the responses there's a separate offshoot of emphasis in practically every comment that leave the subject so broad in scope I feel like I'm right back at the general forum tab looking for a topic...Why do people keep trying to "solve" the game— leave that to the devs, write way shorter stuff as the end user with one subject in mind! I doubt anyone who is taking forum comments seriously from DE appreciates having to read between the lines on these posts.

Edited by ikkabotz

Hey, OP here. Just wanted to take some time to further elaborate on some things I said really quick and also respond to some posts.

When I mentioned that I wanted 'frames to be more fun, I meant that. I also meant that we really should be talking about power creep, because it's entirely possible that making old frames 'fun' again means buffing them. Which leads to a problem. Should we A) try to make them fun without buffing them too much or B) make them fun and to hell with power creep? That's an important point I think really needs to be decided on going further, because it influences the majority of design decisions regarding balance.

I also forgot to mention that Mirage needs some love too, like making her 3's effect based on the lighting when she casts it, not while she keeps moving around. So that you can decide what you want, more damage or more survivability. Also that Hall of Mirrors should absorb damage that directly hits the holograms so that you don't get hit by sheer dumb luck from an enemy shooting you at an angle. Prism could probably afford faster casting speed and to be less energy intensive, but eh.

As for the posts -

I agree that I could've been more concise. But to be frank, I don't care. I've wanted to get this off my chest for months. Now, it's gone, out there in the wilderness like a squirrel once held in captivity. Time will tell if it gets ignored, violently mauled, or integrates successfully. Trimming the 'fluff' and humor isn't necessarily a bad suggestion, however I felt that it was the only way I could keep most enthralled long enough for them to read my whole post, since I sure as S#&$ can't write well enough to keep most entertained with normal words.

Criticizing this game comes out of a place of love and passion. I mean that. Otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time making this topic. It doesn't mean I secretly hate the game or aren't a 'real player/vet' or whatever, it just means I can look past my love and adoration and see the trees amidst the forest. I don't disagree that my criticisms are unlikely to come to pass, or even be seen, I just cared more about doing it than being rewarded for it. It's kind of symptomatic of who I am, and why I play Warframe despite the lack of purpose. 

I say 3k hours because that's where I'm at on Steam. It's a mixture of this current account and my older account, one I made 5 odd years ago. I don't think this makes my opinion more or less valid, I'm saying that to pre-phrase any retort "well what would YOU know?" with a "my playtime." I accept the L that is the credible accusations of a logical fallacy to avoid other people avoiding what I have to say and merely insulting me.

I'm glad that if nothing else there are some people willing to respond to what I said in its entirety. That's hella nice.

Also...

9 hours ago, VaricBreem said:

Sorry but you lost all credibility once you said  Oberon  cant heal or tank.... legit stopped reading at that point , Learn to build

The joke ----------------->
                 Your head

Even thou it was quite lengthy i found it an interesting read and the jokes/exaggerations were refreshing.

There are a lot of points i can agree with and a some i don't,  or i simply cant comment on since i didn't play for 5 years, but since its a feedback thread i wont comment on anything since its pretty subjective.

vor 6 Stunden schrieb NerdwiseGamgee:

Is this an attempt to discredit this player's opinion on the basis of determining whether or not they are a "vet"?

Allow me to illustrate this scenario by saying I buy a new car. Let us also say that I have driven a grand total of 3000 hours, while you have driven yours for a grand total of 10,000. When I express my misgivings on this particular model of car can you (credibly) say that you've driven the car longer and hence my findings are inaccurate? The answer is no, because that is simply not how the world works. I don't have to drive a new car for 10,000 hours to be capable of recognizing several flaws in its design. You having driven the same model for longer doesn't somehow discredit my findings.

If you disagree, why not actually cite a passage and type out some solid reasoning? Perhaps you could provide an example as well? I dare suggest you put some thought into something you post on the internet? You might have 10,000 hours in game, but what is it worth if you aren't going to do anything with it aside from bragging? While I may not agree with everything he wrote I can refrain from questioning how much time is a lot of time. Sure you've got 7,000 more hours, but he's got just over 9000 more words which form full sentences, and then paragraphs which utilize conventions of logic and reasoning.

While it may be true that this player has spent "just" 34.2% of of an entire year playing a particular video game, it shouldn't drastically change their credibility compared to someone with double, or even triple that amount of playtime so long as they provide sufficient evidence and reasoning to back their claims. This holds especially true in a game which has much repetition as Warframe does. As he pointed out, there comes a point in Warframe where all content is essentially the same stuff on repeat. Anyone who has played through all of this stuff even a single time should be more than capable of reflecting their opinion on it and providing constructive feedback.

❤️

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PS: can some tell me what the  consensus of the community is regarding what makes one to be a "veteran" of this game? ... if there is any... 🙄

Edited by imbressive

27 minutes ago, imbressive said:

can some tell me what the  consensus of the community is regarding what makes one to be a "veteran" of this game? ... if there is any... 🙄

Spoiler: there isn't.

Half of the fanbase think it means how many hours you sunk into the game.  Another third thinks its if you can go 4+ hours survival. Another fraction or so think it means something else entirely. Another small percent think its when you've gotten good enough at the game to help the newbies out.

OP, your point was made and I agree with most of (but not all) of your points here. Sadly, the forums is awash with a vocal minority who love nothing more but to thrash on people's ideas, thoughts, and feedback under the guise of "Oh, well I DIDNT have a problem so your opinion as a fellow consumer is simply IRRELEVANT, you gotta be doing it horribly WRONG, go play a different game". As much work as you put into this, and as right as you may be on MANY of these points, most people here will not read this or offer constructive replies. 

1 hour ago, imbressive said:

can some tell me what the  consensus of the community is regarding what makes one to be a "veteran" of this game? ... if there is any... 🙄

There is no consensus. I'd personally define a player as veteran when they have a well-rounded knowledge and gear for all aspects of the game. Knowledge about frame/weapon builds and how to combine them, about tactics in all the normal mission types as well as """endgame""" missions such as Eidolons and the gear to execute those tactics. Even then there is room for improvement by simply being good at the game, i. e. having the mechanical skills to pull off things like 6x3 Tridolons or maybe even speedruns if you can be bothered to do those nowadays.

The reason why I'm putting endgame in quotations is because in my eyes there is no proper endgame in Warframe as of now. The difficulty of Eidolon hunts compared to the normal content simply is too small to properly call them endgame. So the fact that there is not too much to be really good at that would make you stand out in WF also makes it difficult to clearly define veterans.

In the end you should ask yourself if you think if you reached and completed the endgame to call yourself a veteran. Endgame is pretty subjective at the moment, so take your time figuring that out.

Edited by uxx0

Two thoughts that are, perhaps ironically, focusing on Chess's most recent post:

7 hours ago, Chess4Years said:

When I mentioned that I wanted 'frames to be more fun, I meant that. I also meant that we really should be talking about power creep, because it's entirely possible that making old frames 'fun' again means buffing them. Which leads to a problem. Should we A) try to make them fun without buffing them too much or B) make them fun and to hell with power creep? That's an important point I think really needs to be decided on going further, because it influences the majority of design decisions regarding balance.

I think it's more useful to think of it as area creep, not power creep. The issue of fun is tied to the issue of interactivity. That I might be able to swing around a Galatine and one-shot things doesn't change the fact that it's inherently far more fun than standing there as a Saryn and watching numbers pop up, usually out of view. Hell, some could argue that being able to one-shot things with a giant sword is more fun than if they took a handful of hits each time. And it's a completely different kind of catharsis sleeping a stupidly high-level Bombard and CL knifing it.

Which ties to enemy spawns, because the fastest way to deal with a hoard of enemies is to have an ability affecting the greatest number of them. Greatest number means greatest area. Greater area means less interactivity: you can't interact with something you never even see.

8 hours ago, Chess4Years said:

I agree that I could've been more concise. But to be frank, I don't care. I've wanted to get this off my chest for months. Now, it's gone, out there in the wilderness like a squirrel once held in captivity. Time will tell if it gets ignored, violently mauled, or integrates successfully. Trimming the 'fluff' and humor isn't necessarily a bad suggestion, however I felt that it was the only way I could keep most enthralled long enough for them to read my whole post, since I sure as S#&$ can't write well enough to keep most entertained with normal words.

The humour isn't a problem; the problem is who your target audience is. Players like us can read long posts. We get what we want out of it, be it validation of our opinions or some place to disagree and combat ideas. The people at DE's side who can enact actual change, though, need a quick TL;DR or some key points they can scribble on a notepad to bring up to a team. They don't have the time to read the whole thing, or if they do, it isn't for the purpose of getting ideas for future change: it's for the same "entertainment" purpose as us players. Probably not the mindset you want to target for genuine change.

Naturally, whatever your audience, it's a double-edged sword: be long-winded and "entertaining", yet end up critiquing only for its own sake; or get the point to the people who should read it most, yet end up curt and boring.

Speaking as a writer, that's just stuff I think everyone should understand. On a personal level, though, I don't care: if you're happy, that's what I care about. But the question becomes: are you happy just venting and not making change?

Stuff to consider.

Best wishes,

~T