Genuinely confused by the Pupacyst!

Dancing_Dolly

Like, yeah, beyond the description as others have most likely pointed out. It's a neat-looking weapon and I like the idea of stacking a bunch of statuses on it to whack things to death, but aspects of it just seem to be either mismatched or missing. I was hoping for another staff weapon since we've kind of been lacking on cool or interesting ones, so it looking straight-up like a lumpy stick yet being classified as another polearm just comes off as weird.

But further than that, the puffy little cloud that comes up when you slam attack has me wondering. Was there actually an intended gimmick to go along with it? Was it just accidentally left out? Purposefully left out? If the latter, why? Not that every melee weapon has to have a gimmick, but it seems like it was really geared up to do something vaguely different yet we've mainly just been left with purely another polearm where the only difference is innate viral damage. And we can already create specifically that with a zaw. It could have just been something minor, but having an actually useful spore cloud puff out when doing slam attacks would add a lot of flavor to the thing and at least differentiate it somewhat. Even if it was just 'apply toxin or viral in a cloud around you', kind of like how other melee weapons have various elemental versions of that. It'd definitely make my day if the weapon was revisited a little, although I don't expect anything to come of my thoughts on it. It's solid enough as-is and I've put a potato in it since variety is fun, but I was just mildly let down which generally isn't the case with new weapons in this game.

My hope: DE leaves that thing as a polearm but gives us a really interesting staff (not Viral+impact...yuk) to make up for it!

What I'd really like is a staff that's just elemental. 

We have whips, polearms, dual blades, scythes, and pretty much every other weapon type with at least one elemental only option.  I'd love to see that in a staff that we can use here in the US.

yes, it's strange that it's a Polearm when it seems like it would be a Staff (especailly in being Blunt focused rather than Cutting), and the Description does also suggest that it would have some sort of Effect that spreads across Enemies in some way.

it even sorta needs it too regardless whether a Staff or Polearm - because it's pretty slow and has viable but not interesting Crit Stats, and reduced Damage Types despite being Status focused.
some sort of 'bee hive' that spreads Toxin Status to nearby Enemies would help a lot in making it competitive. or you could go more unique and idk have it use Spores 2015 mechanics and create localized AoE's of high Damage.

39 minutes ago, -QUILL_PETER- said:

Nothing to be confused by. It's actually just trash.

I would definitely argue against it being trash. It works perfectly fine for most any content in the game.and I think a lot of people kind of forget how absurdly powerful melee can be in the game as it is. Just because it's not killing things exactly as fast as the top 25% of melee weapons doesn't mean it's in any way awful.

My misgivings mainly just have to do with aspects of it feeling like wasted potential, since after a point most of what I'm looking for in the game is variety since I have more than a solid stable of equipment to easily carry me through anything the game throws at me.

21 hours ago, AldousCrunksley said:

My misgivings mainly just have to do with aspects of it feeling like wasted potential, since after a point most of what I'm looking for in the game is variety since I have more than a solid stable of equipment to easily carry me through anything the game throws at me.

But this weapon does add variety, because it fills a niche: it is the only non-zaw (some players don't bother with zaws at all) polearm that is impact based. If they classed this a staff, it wouldn't really stand out from all the other impact based staffs, and that would be less variety. And I personally prefer the polearm animations over the staff ones, so it's nice to have that option.

The impact/viral base damage seems weird, but both of those are weaknesses of Corpus enemies. The next huge content expansion takes place on a Corpus world. Add some gas damage, and I could certainly see myself running around Orb Vallis with this thing.

The best aspect is that you can have upto 4 to 5 proc from a few fits all in one time. and then CO is hitting so hard.

the other thing is that The AOE slam does in fact look different from others (some gas comes out) and it looks like it should be doing something. (and again) the description is totally misleading (is a staff that rends flesh). so i was totally lost by this thing.