Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Official Necro Ability Discussion

[DE]Megan

From what I can see the Necro warframe is Fine, But it could use some adjustments 

Soul punch, 

"A blow so powerful, it turns the enemies very soul into a deadly projectile, damaging all in its path"

From what I can tell this ability is "OK" at best. I would like it if Once a target was hit it would Blast out in a cone rather then a strait line and the target that was hit would do a small AOE.

Terrify

"Casts fear into the hearts of nearby enemies, causing them to run away in terror."

The only thing wrong with this ability is that it doesn't affect "EVERYONE" around you.

For example: I go and run into a crowd of enemy's use terrify only a good 6 units are affected... out of 10 (max lvl btw)  

Desecrate

"Forces fallen enemies around you to drop additional loot."

This ability is actually quite useful, Hear me out. It can not only support your team, but you as well with much needed energy for even heath orbs. which could come in handy in a high level/wave defense mission's.

The only thing that I would fix about it is that it works 100% of the time not half the time on high lvl enemy's nor well it need to be "recasted"  (max level) and it would only cost 10 energy or even 25 energy, 50 seems a bit to much. 

Shadows of the dead

"Summons shadow versions of vanquished enemies to fight alongside you for a short period of time."

This is one of those things that need an Adjustment.

For one A small number counter in or under the box showing the ability would be nice

(what I mean is that It would have a number counting the number of units in the ability's library.) 

It would be really nice to know that you have units. So you don't throw yourself into a meat grinder and find out that

"POWER NOT READY (have a nice day)"....

Also 

• Shadow Shield Ospreys will shield all of your shadows but not Nekros or teammates.

Why? ^

I mean come on they should shield you.... and Shadow Ancient Healers should heal you....

That is only logical... 

Give it these Fix's I mean I don't see me using this warframe in a PVP battle since the only ability that works is soul punch.

I HAVE THE NECRO'S FRAME I LOVE IT.

(It only needs adjustments)

Edited by Gloo

There are way too many pages to read through, so my apologies if I repeat ideas. 

Soul Punch is fine how it is. 

Terrify needs to be looked at. It is a great skill and really useful in tight situations, however there is always at least one enemy that escapes and hides somewhere, and makes it so you can't recast the skill until the effect wears off. This is very annoying in situations when you really need to use it but can't because of "power in use". Especially if you are using a continuity mod. I want to use continuity for Shadows of the Dead, but I am not equipping it because of Terrify. My suggestion, make it so that Terrify can be cast at any time, but make it so each enemy can only be terrified once. 

Desecrate can be tricky to use, especially since bodies don't stay around very long or just don't proc at all on laggy servers. I have suggestions for two possible alternatives. The first is to prime enemies before hand, so that when they die they auto desecrate. The second is to place a small icon (skull and crossbones or something) on the location where enemies have died that only Nekros can see. This icon will last for 10 seconds before disappearing. This gives Nekros enough time to cast desecrate without having to worry about bodies disappearing (especially due to disintegrate effects).

Shadows of the Dead is good how it is, except for the extremely bad AI. More often than not, my clones will stand there shooting at nothing instead of seeking out enemies. This needs to be addressed. 

I feel that with these simple changes, all the frustrations I have with Nekros will be relieved. 

Good comments. Would like to add to this rather than repeating:

Terrify: Speeding up the casting animation just a hair would also make this a bit more viable, since enemies are often shooting at you as you cast this. Shadows of The Dead overcomes this problem by dropping your summons in good locations if you're in cover, but due to the near-enemy necessity of this power? It needs to go off just a HAIR faster.

Desecrate: I'll save my opinion that Desecrates primary ability makes more sense as a sentinel mod than a warframe ability for another thread down the line, since that could be flame bait. But its limited if viable use screams: "Why don't I have a team buff?" I would use this ability more if it had a reliable use for my energy investment; casting it turned a corpse into a totem of some kind that provides a limited team buff? Maybe a defensive trait like a wall of terror/repurposed corpse bits? Since it needs both a corpse and energy to be 'successfully' cast, I don't think a buff/defensive tool of some kind would be out of the question.

Shadows of the Dead: Rename the spawned NPCs to "Shadow" or something. Makes it easier to tell which is which if the texture glitches.

Renaming the clones is a great idea! It's so annoying when the textures don't load and I have no idea who's who. 

After reading this thred i can say

I am extremely glad the comunity realizes that Necros is weak both by himself and in the support context (whicjh is his purpose). I see many great ideas for amking him at least mid tier because now he is dangerously close to past-Volt.

I will not take specific ideas put them here because there are many tha Scott can choose from, BUT

bottomline a support frame that is bad at support and is capable of even lowering teams damage output (runnig away mobs because of terrify and braindead clones blocking fire) is unacceptable.

So after getting my hands on Nekros and testing 'Desecrate'... I must admit, a lot of the things people said they feared about it:

Have found their way into the game perfectly.

It just feels lackluster and I immediately ditched it so I can have more shields.

• When things get hectic there is no way in Mike-land you are going to stare at a corpse, and shout Alo&*$$ra to find some more useles junk that the dozens of angry mobs chewing at your face don't already drop.
  • I still have to see a mod come from using this ability, so even less reason to employ it. 
  • And of course the fact that bodies go away with a lot of the abilities and/or weapons used (I can't remember atm, but if Soul Punch disappears bodies that's really ironic)

So yeah, DE, it was a nice refreshing idea to give such an ability to a character, but in a game where stuff goes real fast etc. with only a limited amount of possibilities (ability slots & possibly suitable situations) and resources (energy) to do something special this kind of thing doesn't really work.

I would like to give the 'Health Leech' alternative ability a spin.

Now that I have Nekros and have played it a while now (over a week) I can express my feelings on the abilties.

Soul Punch- This is the only direct damage skill that Nekros has. It looks like it does 500 damage to the target and enemies hit by the projectile take 100 damage. Since it's the only damage ability I would say it needs a buff. The 500 damage to target is fine in my opinion its the damage of the projectile that should do more. 100 damage is absolutely irrelevant. In my opinion having enemies hit by the projectile take 1000 damage could be justified since its so situational and not that easy to hit with.

Terrify- This is a fun ability but the range is a bit low in my opinion. (Another idea for this ability in the next section)

Desecrate- I hated the very idea of this skill when I first heard of it, admittedly I don't go for support role warframes (or classes in other games) After having used it I still don't love it, HOWEVER many people (myself included) have stumbled on a build that boosts health and armor instead of shields and equips the Rage and Equilibrium mods. This is an extremely effective build, I find myself trying to get hurt so that i can get more energy (from picking up health orbs from the effects of Rage) This build would not be possible without Desecrate. 

I know a lot of people out there would disagree with this but I would go so far as to say that even if Desecrate yielded 4 health orbs, 4 energy orbs, all ammo types and a mod from EVERY enemy it was used on, I would still rather have another ability because when you have all the mods in the game this power won't be as fun to use and Nekros "replayablity" will suffer for it. As is, Desecrate mostly makes the game easier without adding any action to the game (and let's face it this is an ACTION game a REALLY awesome action game! :D ) I would like to see Nekros get another actiony ability. 

One idea (and I know I'm not the 1st to think of this) would be to combine Desecrate and Terrify so that enemies effected by Terrify yield more loot when they die. 

I'm not sure if you guys are planning on added more than 4 abilities to all the warframes eventually, but if you do then i would say you could add another and keep desecrate because it totally validates Equilibrium and Rage as awesome mods. And it offers a different kind of play style (as much as i hate to admit it)

Finally there's the whole thing about the Nekros becoming a "farming" warframe which is already a bit of a problem in my opinion.

Shadow's of the Dead - this skill is awesome, pretty much perfect in my opinion. I might be cool if it would prioritize stronger enemies but some people would prefer different enemies so I guess that might not be the best idea. I'm sure this is on your guys' radar now but its extremely important that the shadows ALWAYS appear as shadows and never as normal enemies. This seems to be a problem only when playing under a host with a bad connection.

Hope this feedback is useful, keep up the great work!! :)

I really, REALLY want to like Nekros, but after playing him for nearly two weeks I'm torn about him. Between his base stats and polarities making it hard to take advantage of all of his abilities straightaway (despite being a caster-archetype); his lack of multi-target damage combined with Soul Punch's finicky targetting and SotD requiring a high number of kills; and Desecrate being love it-or-hate it (mostly hate), I have a really hard time enjoying him in his current state.

Essentially, he has no clearly defined role. In theory he's a support class, but in reality he's currently just a squishier, ranged, more expensive (both to play and to obtain) Excalibur.

There's a handful of changes I think he could really use to help differentiate him going forward.

Defensive polarity changed to a Tactical polarity: He's a support frame, the Tactical slot would have more effect on his performance than a slot designed for frames who will be in the thick of the fray.

Energy Pool increased to 150 (225 at 30): Currently he's Excalibur with reduced shields. As stated above, he's a support frame, so the best way to differentiate the two would be to use the shield reduction as a justification for an energy boost. If it's not enough to justify change (though it should be), cut his armor as well.

Soul Punch redesigned: No longer fires a secondary projectile. Instead, the target's dislodged soul instantly forms into a Shadow of the target with the same abilities, for 5/6/7/8 sec affected by Power Duration. The clone will be summoned with high threat toward its other half, fixating on becoming the only one until one of the two dies (unless the original half is killed by the Punch). Limit one clone summoned by Soul Punch at a time; recasting Soul Punch will instantly replace the active clone, rather than waiting out the duration.

-          The projectile is a pain to try to use, and incredibly lackluster in terms of multi-target damage. So, it'd be better to just focus on the single-target. And honestly, it'd be cool to be able to call up minions at will; it'd give Nekros more of a niche as the Petmaster.

-          Shadows, while similar to Mind Control targets, have the advantage of not being targetable by allies. This is counterbalanced by the fixation mechanic, serving more as a single-target crowd control with damage until the target is killed.

-          Mind Control would have a much longer duration, while Soul Punch would have initial damage. Still more different than Rhino and Excalibur's firsts.

Desecrate replaced and merged into Terrify: Terrified targets will drop additional loot based on Desecrate's loot table. Terrify's cooldown is removed, allowing it to be recast on new groups of enemies. Retains Terrify's original cost. 

-          Essentially, it preserves the positive aspects of both abilities while cutting down on the parts that make them lackluster.

-          The cooldown thing also has the benefit of making it different from Chaos.

-          Don't really see the armor-reduction as relevant; Soul Punch ignores it anyway, and it's 20% reduction; for a target with more than 50 armor it's a difference of less than 5%, and with Focus that's 7% at maximum. Useless against those that have armor, pointless against those without.

I have an idea for a new skill that could take Desecrate's place- 

-          Nekros hunches forward and fires a cloud of nano-machines from his helmet that travels to the target location, using similar targeting mechanics to Fireball (minus the enemy-binding) to stay at the target location. Visually it looks like he's exhaling a cloud of locusts.

-          Enemies who enter the cloud are dealt periodic damage as long as they remain inside the cloud, affected by rank. Nekros and his allies (including Shadow minions) are simultaneously healed for 100% of the damage dealt to enemies inside the cloud.

-          50 Energy. Cloud radius and uptime affected by Power Range and Duration. Damage affected by Power Strength.

-          Serves to give Nekros a shred of AoE damage while not making him a nuke frame, and while maintaining his support role. Also keeps Soul Punch as the main source of single-target damage. Well of Life remains a strong source of burst healing.

-          Pairs well with frames that can boost allied damage (Rhino, Nova), or frames with strong crowd control or Decoys. Also provides Nekros some synergy with his own abilities, ie his clones.

-          Gives Nekros a much-needed boost in survival while giving an alternative to Trinity in terms of healing.

Fundamentally, these changes would simply make Nekros better at the niches he already dips into. The most drastic change of the bunch, really, is Soul Punch; the others just need to happen.

Also, Shadows of the Dead UI needs to be improved. Infested are fine, but Grineer and Corpus units will just shoot at walls if an enemy target is obstructed or in another room. They don't even try to find cover, it's just attack-attack-attack on the wall. Plus, Shockwave MOAs knockdown player allies and Shield Ospreys will ignore players (even though Ancient Healers heal players). Grineer Hellions still shoot their jetpacks at players when they fade.

Edited by Archwizard

First off,nice to see you having interest in what community has to say!

Second,keep Search The Dead.I think Trinity can fullfill the "healing" role well without Nekros,he should be more concetrated on all-around support.

not really, he is good on farming on survival for small air tanks or either models.  I don't think his role sux, ppl don't know how use him when first used.  check with the guide or other for help how to use him right.

Soul Punch: Pretty cool, but it'd be neat to have an AoE ragdoll effect around the initial target. That's just me, though.

Terrify: Chasing after the enemies affected becomes really annoying, and by the time you get to them, the effect wears off. Please just stun them in place.

Desecrate: A pretty fun ability on Defense and Mobile Defense when there's lots of stuff to kill, but I really don't need the excess drops. I spam it often just for fun (with the excess Energy Orbs) but I can't find real good uses for this. I suggest this be buffed to not only do what it currently does, but to also deal 500 damage to any living enemies around Nekros and sap % of their health for himself.

Shadows of the Dead: Pretty mediocre. Fun to use, but I really think the clones should be more powerful than their living counterparts. Buff their speed and power, or health. Make them usable in the event there's not many Heavies to add to the roster.

Edit:

Alternatively, Desecrate could instead mark living targets within its radius so that upon death, they'd drop the extra loot, as suggested here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/114127-what-are-some-ways-you-think-can-make-desecrate-a-better-skill/#entry1325192

Edited by Psychosist

Now that I've managed to make Nekros my main... More feedback and suggestions:

Soul Punch: Extremely useful for stopping heavy units. I just wish there was more area of effect to it.

Terrify: I'm over conservative in using this ability, especially in situations that may have called for it; because it doesn't scare everything within range and especially since it can't be spammed. I still want this ability to be an aura. Change it to:

Terrifying Presence: Casts an aura that lasts for X seconds. All enemies within range of Nekros are feared and will take extra damage. Enemies that are too close to Nekros will be stunned instead. Enemies that leave the area of effect will no longer be feared and will return to normal behavior.

Desecrate: Works wonderfully in survival and useful in other missions. You don't need to see corpses, just know that they're dead. But it doesn't work on killed enemies in death animations, which is very infuriating, especially when you have a bunch in the middle of death animations.

• Also affect enemies on very low health, have them immediately turn them into drops
  • Random chance of damaging and pulling health orbs or energy orbs from living enemies
  • Work on all enemies with 0 HP, not 'dead' state
  • Needs a passive feature to keep corpses within range of Nekros from despawning, until they are out of range or Desecrate has been used

Shadows of the Dead: It's good, it's basically an advanced attack version of decoy in my eyes. I kinda wish when the summons die, they explode in a small radius; especially since the summons don't appear to be direct replicas of their originals, but are nanobot clones.

Edited by DSMK2

I am not reading all these posts to see if this was said, so plz don't troll me.

My feedback on this warframe is as follows:

Soul punch- Annoying that the target reticle has to be on a target. I suggest it be like a reverse Mag pull.

Terrify- fine as is.

Desecrate- corpses don't remain long enough to make this skill useful. Making corpses remain longer would be nice, if not change the skill as it's useless right now.

SotD- awesome skill. Fine as is.

Soul Punch: Extremely useful for stopping heavy units. I just wish there was more area of effect to it.

Terrify: I'm over conservative in using this ability, especially in situations that may have called for it; because it doesn't scare everything within range and especially since it can't be spammed. I still want this ability to be an aura. Change it to:

Terrifying Presence: Casts an aura that lasts for X seconds. All enemies within range of Nekros are feared and will take extra damage. Enemies that are too close to Nekros will be stunned instead. Enemies that leave the area of effect will no longer be feared and will return to normal behavior.

Desecrate: Works wonderfully in survival and useful in other missions. You don't need to see corpses, just know that they're dead. But it doesn't work on killed enemies in death animations, which is very infuriating, especially when you have a bunch in the middle of death animations.

• Also affect enemies on very low health, have them immediately turn them into drops
  • Random chance of damaging and pulling health orbs or energy orbs from living enemies
  • Needs a passive feature to keep corpses within range of Nekros from despawning, until they are out of range or Desecrate has been used
Shadows of the Dead: It's good, it's basically an advanced attack version of decoy in my eyes. I kinda wish when the summons die, they explode in a small radius; especially since the summons don't appear to be direct replicas of their originals, but are nanobot clones.
EVERYTHING THIS MAN SAID.

Search the dead should be changed to something more useful for example an ability for self-protection or a massive straight damage dealer since Necros only has 1 power which can deliver damage at the enemies but it usually affects only one enemy.

Soul Punch should affect more enemies not just one or the soul should do heavier damages and it should hit more.

Also Shadow of the dead should be a bit more improved aka it would be mor useful if the clones wouldnt just run around and shoot at everything (literally) they rather should follow their "creator" and protect it.

Edited by Ax0r

Ok, I think we have all gathered by now, that Desecrate is kinda useless. So I have brainstormed up 2 replacement abilities for this, one offensive, and one supportive.

1.Offensive.

Take the souls.

You suck out the souls of enemies around you, killing them and restoring a small portion of health to yourself, and any nearby allies.

2. Supportive.

Gift of souls

You conjure up a vast amount of souls from enemies you have killed ,that fly to your allies and restore there health. The more people you kill before you use this move, the more health it restores.

What do you guys think?

A little late to the party, but since I finally managed to get Nekros to R30, I might as well give my thoughts.

Soul Punch

I love this skill for its ability to remove heavies from play whilst potentially doing a bit of collateral damage to whatever is clustered around it. Aiming to hit multiple targets in a line can be a problem though. From what I understand, the ability is supposed to spawn a projectile from the first target hit, which then continues on and damages everything in its path. But from what I see, this works as intended only some of the time, as the projectile seems to fly off in some random direction and the only damage I cause is from the initial impact and the first target ragdolling into nearby enemies. Everything considered, a solid first skill, but would love to see some predictability/aiming improvements.

Terrify

A very useful skill on paper, but I don't find myself using it too often for two reasons. One, the animation is fairly lengthy for a defensive skill, leaving me vulnerable in virtually any situation where I'd feel compelled to use it, and two, while the armor reduction is very nice, the fact that enemies go running off makes it very hard to take advantage of. I feel this skill would work better if it were either a targeted AoE to create an area of denial for a length of time, or if it were applied to your person for a length of time in the manner of World On Fire, albeit with a smaller, defensive AoE range.

Desecrate

I know there are a lot of posts that say Desecrate is useless and should be reworked/replaced, but I'd ask that you don't listen to them. This ability is the reason I started to enjoy Nekros. Being able to spawn health/energy orbs all over the map and double-dip the RNG for much-needed resources and mods is a very wonderful thing, not just for Nekros himself, but for everyone he groups with as well. It's nice to see an ability that doesn't have a direct combat use, and is purely for indirect support and/or profit. The only thing I'd change about it is allow it to affect enemies still in their death throe animations. That aside, good work, DE.

Shadows Of The Dead

Cool concept, but somewhat poor execution. I use it regardless, but as is, it's not worth the energy cost when used on anything but Infested. I can fully appreciate the idea of nanobot clones not retaining the intellect of their originals, but that's still not much of an excuse for humanoid clones to be shooting at walls :P. For practical purposes I think this ability needs to be tweaked to make Grineer and Corpus clones only fire when the target is in direct line of sight. Not seeking cover is good though--I rather like the idea of this skill being an offense summon as opposed to a more defensive one. Looking forward to the kinks getting worked out of this skill so I feel good about using it.

Right now I have three major issues with Nekros:

1. No aura polarity, defensive slot, low energy. He wasn't built as a support.

2. Desecrate just slows me down, costs way too much for what it does, and runs the risk of corpses expiring before loot can be obtained.

3. At times, the mechanics of Shadows of the Dead make it feel like I shouldn't be killing anything. "I'm loaded up on heavies, if I try to take out that little guy coming at me I'll lose one." It kinda makes Terrify his most useful ability... assuming it's not on cooldown because one guy from your last cast managed to outrun the Nova's ultimate.

Edited by Archwizard

Ok, I think we have all gathered by now, that Desecrate is kinda useless. So I have brainstormed up 2 replacement abilities for this, one offensive, and one supportive.

1.Offensive.

Take the souls.

You suck out the souls of enemies around you, killing them and restoring a small portion of health to yourself, and any nearby allies.

2. Supportive.

Gift of souls

You conjure up a vast amount of souls from enemies you have killed ,that fly to your allies and restore there health. The more people you kill before you use this move, the more health it restores.

What do you guys think?

that little op, it still leech.  in fact, ppl ask bring back leech ability, but pretty for sure it is not going be simple as that.  As time being, we had many discussion either that we have change it or tweak soul punch ability.  Pretty much developer know so many players still whining about it, for the truth I hardly use it until I am facing that I can't defeat, so its like a sucker punch in other word but more like sucker punch and runs away...remind me that one show....about the boy with guns who talk smack.  Then there is that one guy who wear mask and keep on run away from battle...who do sucker punch every moment.

Anyway, its either I get my Fus Ro Dah or either we renewing our soul punch.  cuz soul punch doesn't hit the punch at all...when it comes whole bunch of heaviest grineer can offer in survival 30-60 lvls with no tanks at all.  kind of sux when you still can't do mid air attack ability with soul punch.

This sounds great!

I like your ideas, especially the passive feature to keep corpses from despawning around Nekros. Only thing I don't agree with is the shadows exploding on death. They just need to have an A.I. tweak so that they seek out enemies instead of shooting at walls. 

I really like your idea for terrify but it sounds a bit op. To balance it out, enemies should only be able to be feared once, so that when they leave the aura they can enter it again without being feared a second time. That would balance it out. 

I like all of Necros abilities but some of them need to be tweaked a bit:

Here are some ideas i cooked up for Shadows of the Dead:

I like the idea of this ability and it is basically the signature spell of Necros. The concept of building your own "army of the dead" is a very cool but it has some flaws in its mechanics and is not as Badass and Unique as it could be. 

Problem:

1) It takes too long to really get 7 to 9 (with Focus) “worthy” enemies together especially if you're going for Heavy units, and for such a fast paced game like Warframe i think it just  takes too long. Also in some cases I stopped killing enemies because i had my kill count together but had to wait for the prior cast to run out before reusing it (usually in  Def missions).

2) The behavior of "your army" is similar to chaos from Nyx. Your army just randomly runs around. This makes the ability only viable in defense missions since its full potential is only realized when you stay in the same area for a longer period of time. In Capture, Spy, Sabotage missions its practically useless. What’s missing here is something so you get the feeling that you really have some control over your "minions"

Solution:

These are just some of my ideas what i think would be cool for this ability,  to solve the problems above:

1) You mark a ONE single live enemy for an energy cost of 15 (7 enemies max). As soon as the marked enemy dies (no matter who kills him) a shadow rises from its corps and is added to the Necros army. Each shadow has its own duration (30sec) your first summoned shadow gets replaced if you summon an 8th one....

>> This would solve the problem of the ramp up time and also you can build your selective army without having to stop shooting just because you don’t want to mess up your army composition. Also you don’t need to get the killing blow on an enemy (if someone steals your kill due to Stomp, Javelin... you still get the shadow for your army)

2) The summoned shadows always follow you around like bodyguards or dogs on a leash and stay in a certain radius [Xm] around you. If they can’t keep up with your movement due to wallruns, sprints.... they just die off if they're out of range for more than [Xsec]

>>You may not have direct control over the shadows but it would allow you to use this ability more often in Capture, Spy maps and it would be a large difference in playstyle when compared to the abilities of other warframes espesially to Chaos (Nyx).

When you combine both point 1) and 2) Shadows of the Dead would be better fit for the fast pace of the game and would provide that unique and badass feeling i would like from an ultimate ability, just because you have so much more controll over the shadows like this.

What do you guys think?

I’m open for feedback and criteria

Cheers

Fix the AI for the clones.

Improve desocrates interaction with dead bodys.

Fear should be a much smaller cast time or able to be used while moving. Many things could be done, just make it friendlier to use.

The way soul punch travels to hit further enemies should be more forgiving/improved. Should compound in damage as it hits more enemys to reward the player also.