Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Macros

Flazh

Question

Good day, 
I've read that macros are allowed as long as they don't "play the game for you" but it's kinda hard to find an official statement as well as boundaries. 
I wanted to make a macro that puts me into operator mode, uses void dash and goes into warframe again to quickly attain the Energizing Dash buff. Would that be allowed? That would be 4 actions on 1 key, non-repeating of course. 

4 answers to this question

Afaik there are no black-and-white rules on macro use. DE stated (some years back) that macros are not forbidden per se, but using macros to do things that you normally cannot do might very well lead to banning. DE also (importantly) stated that they do not want to inhibit disabled gamers from playing the game, so while automating play is forbidden, automating normal keypress sequences (under one keypress) should be ok.

We discussed this in-clan on and off, since it is in the nature of gamers to try to get an edge, even if it means crossing the invisible line between what is ok and not ok. I have no idea where DE draws the line (or rather, where the automated anti-exploit/cheat system draws the line), but a few examples:

1. We got a new player som time back that got somewhat "creative" using macros for melee (key press => "super-speed melee on" => key press => "super-speed melee off"). He wanted to hang with higher MRs on high-end missions to level up fast, and this was his way of achieving very high dps with "lower dps"-gear (which is what you have during the first third of the game). When this got noticed (by us) he was immediately told to stop (basically: stop or go and play with some other Tennos). The reasoning: he was using a macro to do something that was impossible to do manually (melee speed) and he automated melee fighting (with an "on/off"-function). He only used this macro for a few days, and was probably lucky not have been banned.

2. We had another case, this guy who just couldn't hit the kuva cloud (it was like one miss out of three void dashes). He made a macro ("go into operator mode, do the void dash, get out of operator mode") and mapped it to a key. With this "less stressful" approach, he quickly learned how to "aim" his dash and not let everyone down by missing (more than normal). We all thought this was ok (for DE), and he has never been banned (though he only does Taveuni, now that it is available as an alternative). The reasoning: this was exactly the same sequence he would have pressed manually, totally without any super-human speed increase, and it was just one normal sequence of keypress commands.

3. When the Plains arrived, we had this player who made a macro automating a sequence of Nova's third ability, in order to get around the plains quickly. He basically chained a series of "3"s with some forward motion and a suitable pause in between. At the time no-one thought this could be wrong, but some random player warned him that this could be bannable so he changed the macro to do just a one jump sequence per keypress. He could still cover the whole map in a series of jumps, but he had to press his "worm hole"-key multiple times.

I know of a few cases where players have been banned. Some seem a little harsh at first glance, but when you look closer it is apparent that in every single instance the player has tried to achieve "more" with automation than what he/she was manually able to do. Two (that I know of) have gotten the ban lifted by discussing the incident with DE support, but this takes time (several weeks). You might miss out on boosters and events, like the guy who was logically and mathematically correct in that if you program a "spin-to-win"-increasing spiral movement with just the right overlap between "rounds", you can clean a large patch of infested with maximum efficiency (and a whip modded just right for the occasion, gas procs galore). Press a key and behold, a Tenno-Roomba in action... It was surely both empowering and great fun to get the sequence programming just right, and perfect for the upcoming event. When applied, however, DE's watchbot also took note...