Warframe Concept: Reinara, The Mage Warframe

(XBOX)AD Exceed

You know what i'm gonna start doing? Including some lore along with my concepts, because I can sometimes be bursting at the seams with ideas for warframes that I would love to have implemented into the game. And while I know deep down that none of my concepts will be recognized, I just want to have them somewhere... just in case. 

Now for a design, i'm thinking tall, slender with proportionate arms (please, no more oberon) and her powers will cast and look like glowing magic circles being drawn in the air with magical energy.
Maybe violets and blues (cool colors, not warm).

Reinara can be rebuilt by finding her blueprint in the void. An interception mission in the void will reveal that there was a fourth prison in the node with the rescue mission in the void. Hidden under the floor, certain special sigils around the area must be scanned and the steps will write themselves out on the wall in a kind of warframe energy that no one has ever seen before... magic. Not energy...magic. Once all of these strange sigils are scanned, a fourth control panel will be visible and usable in operator mode. A special, differently colored hack console will come up and those sigils will need to be put in order, spelling out a word. The goal is to spell out a phrase of seven words, "Descend to dark depths and shine bright". The console will disappear and the floor below it will open.

In there will be a blueprint and a crystal. This crystal and a few other things, like, Fersteel Alloy, Star Crimzian and Argon Crystals are required to make her signature weapon, Signerix. It is a staff made from the crystal, which is a crystallized form of the pure void energy of an operator tenno held inside a mass of cryotic. The blueprint will, when the Signerix is built, spell out the next instructions for reviving the Warframe. The two of the three component parts for the warframe will be in the void and the last one will be in the Orokin Derelict...somewhere. This warframe will be built in the foundry but with the assistance of magic, its craft time will be 12 hours and the Warframe will have the signerix on her back as an auxillary. In her own animations, she will be hovering about half a foot off the ground. In her agile animation, when idle, she'll create a sphere of her energy color and crush it. In her noble animation,  when idle, she'll sit cross-legged (lotus Position) on air and meditate... just putting that out there...
Now for the abilities:

Her stats: 
Health at max rank: 750
Shields at max rank: 0
Armor at max rank:400  
Energy at max rank: 260
Sprint Speed: 1.30

Her Passive: Emblazon- Every uncharged ability used generates 1 sigil out of a possible 10 that can be used to increase the efficacy of the next used ability. Sigils are markings that hold magic. Charging an ability primes a sigil to be used while using a charged ability will consume that sigil but amplify all numerical values on that ability (be they durations or percentages or flat damage and range numbers) by 17% per sigil. Sigils are primed at a speed of 1 sigil per second ( sigil priming speed gets faster the longer you charge and is affected by mods like Natural Talent). The Signerix, when used as an auxilary, will be usable when an empty weapon slot of any kind is switched to. (be it primary, secondary or melee, if you go into the mission with nothing equipped there, the Signerix will fill that slot when you switch to it...)

Her 1st ability: Pure Force
-With an elegant swipe of her hand, a cone shaped shockwave that strongly knocks back enemies surges forward at high speed (minus bosses)
- Enemies knocked back that hit walls will be stuck there for a while. Other enemies will simply fly back and stop, held in suspended animation airborne for a few seconds (i'm thinking 8 seconds base)
-Base damage of 675 (modifiable) plus removes 23% overall enemy health 
-When used with the Signerix, has 100% status chance and a built in slash proc that does 75% overall damage as slash damage over 4 seconds

Her 2nd Ability: Midnight Barrier-  Reduces damage by 90% (unmodifiable)
- Press and hold to dissolve barrier into a fog that spreads very quickly outward from the warframe putting enemies to sleep for 14-18 seconds (modifiable)
- Enemies put to sleep that get hit by pure force will be stunned for 13% longer. If charged with sigils, the fog will spread further and the sleep spell has an added 75% lifesteal for as long as the enemy sleeps.
-If used sigil count is above 5, the fog will corrode armor and turn off infested auras
    - Armor stripping set to an additive 17% every second for as long as the enemy is asleep

Her 3rd Ability:  Anchored Storm- A large magic circle appears above the targeted area that increases the gravity of that area, making enemies slowed down to 40% their original speed. Enemies are then bombarded with a rain of magic spikes.
- up to 3 areas of rain may be created at a radius of 40 meters each that last 10 seconds 
- all 3 areas can be cast on one spot to triple the range and the strength of the spikes and increase the duration by +50% of base duration.
- does damage based on number of spikes hit. Every spike is worth 100
- when charged with sigils, the sigil buff applies and the trajectory of the spikes is changed from raining straight down, to falling outward in the shape of a cone

Her 4th Ability: - Sorcerer's Wrath: Equip the Sigerix and burst forth with astounding magical power. Explode in a burst of magic before being shrouded in a magical aura that strongly repels enemies within 5m. The signerix has a regular fire that shoots Arca Plasmor-style waves of magic that are much wider and has 30 m range. Its alt-fire is a radial wave of slashing force that applies 7 slash procs that does 85% of the primary fire's damage as slash damage...per proc, but they each last only 4 seconds.

When in this state, the warframe's energy reserves are increased by +40% and warframe energy generation is set to 8 energy/sec for the duration of the ability. (This buff has a cooldown  of 15 seconds... short but very present and if used wrong, it could abandon you when you really need it).

- While in this mode, press and hold 1 to use Sphere of Destruction: a large explosion caused by tossing a medium sized sphere of magic at a target, indicated by the posiition of the camera. Causes 1350 damage without the use of sigils and at base power strength (100%). When Sphere of Destruction is used with sigils in this state, the one sphere of magic becomes three spheres fired simultaneously that spreads outward. With maximum sigil count, Reinara will fire 8 spheres very quickly and one after the other with the final one having the largest explosive radius (affected by mods like fulmination)

- Press and hold 2 to let the crystal in the signerix to float forward, after which the crystal will be blasted with magic that it will redirect to strike all enemies within the effective radius. All enemies affected in this fashion will have their life drained very quickly and channeled to Reinara. If used with 7 or more sigils, the life force drained will be multiplied by the number of teammates in the squad and distributed evenly between all team members within affinity range.

- While the Signerix is equipped in this state: Press and hold 3 to stab the Signerix into the ground and let forth a series of wide range radial pulses of pure magic that do damage (after mods, it could reach ridiculously high damage per wave dealt as slash damage and applies impact stagger status per wave with a 100% status chance that end with everyone affected being cursed with a permanent viral proc. (Because magic can take many different forms)

-All regular abilities can be used by pressing their respective ability buttons but not holding them.

- While in this state, abilities used will not consume sigils, but the passive stills works fine. 
- While in mid-air, Reinara can slam the staff to the ground like a melee weapon, but the slam with be a radial version of the Pure Force shockwave with double the range of a regular melee slam.

...and I think that's it... Let me know what you guys think, and please try to be nice. Also, I'm think about doing this daily (writing up Warframe concepts). Think I should?

Edited by (XB1)DarkRepulser205

Interesting but there are problems i'll go over:

1. there are no shields, i don't know if this was intentional but if it is you are missing a crucial piece of information; all frames with no shields have some form of life steal/regeneration in their early abilities to help with survivability.

2. I feel the Sigerix should just be an exalted weapon; cause that's pretty much what you described. It could be an exalted spear gun the alt fire would slam the staff into the ground for 

31 minutes ago, (XB1)DarkRepulser205 said:

ground and let forth a series of wide range radial pulses of pure magic that do damage (after mods, it could reach ridiculously high damage per wave dealt as slash damage and applies impact stagger status per wave with a 100% status chance that end with everyone affected being cursed with a permanent viral proc

and the normal fire could be that it shoots out crystals that seek enemies and give lifesteal on hit (similar to what you described for the press and hold). or an exalted staff.

3. Pure Force

32 minutes ago, (XB1)DarkRepulser205 said:

-Base damage of 1675 (modifiable)

For a first ability that is ridiculously over powered. Most first abilities do upwards of 300 base and even then that's considered strong. reduce it to ~200 damage maybe lower, this is simply because of the interaction with the 4th ability means you are supposed to spam this and doing that much damage PER HIT on a spammable ability is too much. you can however, make it that when charged with a sigil the base damage (before mods) goes up to ~300.

4. Midnight Barrier

Simply putting enemies too sleep is considered overpowered cause it opens them too finishers and makes them do nothing. My suggestion is to leave the mind control out but keep the damage but make the damage only effect enemies that are awake.

An idea i had would be to make this could take up space and be duration based; then whenever an enemy walks into it they fall asleep, but only once. When awake they take damage from the cloud and further an allies (yourself included) in the cloud would receive the 90% damage reduction.

5. Anchored Storm

42 minutes ago, (XB1)DarkRepulser205 said:

increases the gravity of that area, making enemies caught unable to move.

42 minutes ago, (XB1)DarkRepulser205 said:

does damage based on seconds spent in the storm, rather than how many spikes hit

This means that enemies can get caught for the entire duration of the storm. My suggestion is to instead change it to a speed debuff on enemies that walk into it (affected by power strength), this is because; 1. the second ability already stops enemies and 2. going negative strength will result in "speed storms", helping the enemies get places faster; say your Midnight Barrier. Also, make the damage based on the number of spikes hit; visuals are supposed to show WHY the enemy is taking damage, else it would be better to not have spikes and just have a visual "pulsing" magic field.

6. 4th ability

I've already mentioned the changes about making it an exalted spear gun/staff.

48 minutes ago, (XB1)DarkRepulser205 said:

Causes 4000 damage without the use of sigils and at base power strength (100%)

As i mentioned with Pure Force; REDUCE THE DAMAGE, probably 250 base cause you are spamming even more of them.

TL;DR you made a very overpowered frame and it needs work on balancing it. However, it is a very interesting concept and you definitely should make more concepts and i'll review them like this one, however, i wouldn't make 1 everyday, maybe once or twice a week so you can put serious thought into the lore (which is interesting keep it up) as well as properly balancing it.

8 hours ago, AndouRaiton said:

Interesting but there are problems i'll go over:

1. there are no shields, i don't know if this was intentional but if it is you are missing a crucial piece of information; all frames with no shields have some form of life steal/regeneration in their early abilities to help with survivability.

2. I feel the Sigerix should just be an exalted weapon; cause that's pretty much what you described. It could be an exalted spear gun the alt fire would slam the staff into the ground for 

and the normal fire could be that it shoots out crystals that seek enemies and give lifesteal on hit (similar to what you described for the press and hold). or an exalted staff.

3. Pure Force

For a first ability that is ridiculously over powered. Most first abilities do upwards of 300 base and even then that's considered strong. reduce it to ~200 damage maybe lower, this is simply because of the interaction with the 4th ability means you are supposed to spam this and doing that much damage PER HIT on a spammable ability is too much. you can however, make it that when charged with a sigil the base damage (before mods) goes up to ~300.

4. Midnight Barrier

Simply putting enemies too sleep is considered overpowered cause it opens them too finishers and makes them do nothing. My suggestion is to leave the mind control out but keep the damage but make the damage only effect enemies that are awake.

An idea i had would be to make this could take up space and be duration based; then whenever an enemy walks into it they fall asleep, but only once. When awake they take damage from the cloud and further an allies (yourself included) in the cloud would receive the 90% damage reduction.

5. Anchored Storm

This means that enemies can get caught for the entire duration of the storm. My suggestion is to instead change it to a speed debuff on enemies that walk into it (affected by power strength), this is because; 1. the second ability already stops enemies and 2. going negative strength will result in "speed storms", helping the enemies get places faster; say your Midnight Barrier. Also, make the damage based on the number of spikes hit; visuals are supposed to show WHY the enemy is taking damage, else it would be better to not have spikes and just have a visual "pulsing" magic field.

6. 4th ability

I've already mentioned the changes about making it an exalted spear gun/staff.

As i mentioned with Pure Force; REDUCE THE DAMAGE, probably 250 base cause you are spamming even more of them.

TL;DR you made a very overpowered frame and it needs work on balancing it. However, it is a very interesting concept and you definitely should make more concepts and i'll review them like this one, however, i wouldn't make 1 everyday, maybe once or twice a week so you can put serious thought into the lore (which is interesting keep it up) as well as properly balancing it.

Thanks so much for leaving actually actionable feedback on this idea. Now i will say, every time i thought about balancing Pure Force, this little thought in my head would pop up "B-But look at Octavia". I was also making this frame, thinking more about the mid-endgame. Because at level 50+ 250 damage means nothing, especially to Grineer. I usually play content between level 60 and level 150 (long-ish survival runs and defense missions) so i felt like it was important to make her... not disappointingly mediocre (exhibit A: Revenant) (Exhibit B: Khora). So my thought process was that i would rather make an overpowered warframe that fully realizes a concept instead of a concept that falls flat on its face trying to live up to its own hype.

Numbers can be adjusted (for Pure Force, maybe not 250, i mean look at Ash, his first does 500, and can also completely strip armor.) but I Invite you to take a look at warframes with 1st abilities like Oberon, which does percent based damage. That in itself is very strong because in doing so, it keeps up well with level scaling. Or look at a smaller scale of damage, Ember's Fireball, which does 400 base then 150 as explosive damage. And people want that thing buffed.

So my point here is I want to convince you that 250 damage for a first is too low. But i do agree that, upon inspection after i've gotten some sleep, Reinara's damage numbers are too high. And they can go even higher with sigils, as using abilities with all 10 sigils will increase all of that ability's numbers by 300%. (...yeah... maybe a little too powerful. And while i'm still thinking "but Octavia can kill large groups of enemies with her first up to level 500, by itself with no amps at all, no problem... WITH MUSIC, meanwhile this warframe with MAGIC only goes up to level 60?"

There is one thing you said that i want to defend. You seem to misunderstand the nature of the sigil system. When i said "1 out a possible 10" i meant that every cast will create and store one sigil capping at 10, so if you liked, you could use all 10 at once and amp an ability's numbers by 300%, which might only ever be a problem for the range numbers, so those are preemptively set low-ish so this sigil system doesn't turn every ability into a goddamn nuke.

For the Signerix, i wanted something more that just a speargun because i would have just had the magic staff fire "special projectiles" like dark magic, or cosmic, or celestial magic etc. But i wanted the abilites to convey the power of a pissed off sorcerer. In this same vein, i thought " what if an ability was completely replaced by something more power since this is a kind of rage mode, or overdrive mode, you know? Now, yes, (and i will amend this so please look out for the change) the numbers on the magical explosion balls are WAY too high. i didn't give enough thought to the usage of this ability, just how ridiculously cool it would look. 

Also, when it comes to the sleep aspect of Midnight Barrier, i don't feel like its overpowered because quite a few can do it and spam it too. like Equinox and Ivara. Not to mention that blind does the same thing as sleep, in that, it immobilizes and neutralizes enemies caught by it for a set duration and can be repeated. Quite another few Warframes can do this. (That's like...Excalibur's ONLY defensive ability) So i feel like the sleepy fog shouldn't change in that regard. I AM, however, going to take out the mind control and replace with lifesteal while in the fog. Makes a bit more sense. 

Also, the absence of a shield number is intentional. I didn't want her to have any shields because i had other things planned for her health. She is supposed to have Inaros-level hp and enough armor to keep it from emptying in 3 seconds at the hands of a couple of enemies.

Again, thanks for the productive and constructive feedback! Look out for my changes to this concept which will happen within 4 hours from when I post this.

Edited by (XB1)DarkRepulser205
Responding to Feedback on my Concept

6 hours ago, (XB1)DarkRepulser205 said:

You seem to misunderstand the nature of the sigil system.

I will agree to that; my thought was that there were 10 DIFFERENT sigils you could choose from that give DIFFERENT effects and then charge an ability with ONE of them. But now i understand what you are getting at.

for Pure Force, maybe not 250

After reviewing what you said i may be wrong, the whole reason i wanted to lower the damage that much was because of spamming it. However it could be raised to maybe 500, like with Ash's shurikens. However, i would like to point out that the shurikens only strip armor with an augment not as a base ability and the base ability simply deals damage and leaves a slash proc whilst Pure force knocks enemies away AND suspends them. However, as you mentioned Obreon does do percentage based and maybe we could make Pure force do 250 base damage + some% of enemy base health. Especially seeing the +300% to every stat with 10 sigils would make this quite overpowered.

not disappointingly mediocre (exhibit A: Revenant) (Exhibit B: Khora)

I can't and won't defend Revenant but Khora, with her whipclaw augment, can easily kill Sortie 3 enemies in a single swing, that's not mediocre, however the rest of her kit is pretty mediocre in comparison.

"B-But look at Octavia"

Yeah, Octavia is busted BUT it requires physical effort OUTSIDE of the abilities to; 1. make a good and powerful song (although that's easy now cause of Google) and 2. you need to maintain buffs through actions in game to get that type of power for and decently long time. So although she is overpowered, she requires effort and some skill to do it. I've seen plenty of noob Octavias get their butts handed to them at Hydron.

For the Signerix, i wanted something more that just a speargun

The main reason i said the Signerix should be an exalted weapon is because that is what you described it as; a weapon you can pull out using the 4th ability that has tremendous power and unique mechanics and replaces your currently equipped weapon. However, an improvement can be that; whilst the ability is active, the other three abilities are overridden for the abilities you originally had; Pure Force with Sphere of Destruction (what i'm calling it), Midnight barrier with Life Stealing  Crytstal(s), and Anchored storm with Ground Slam. Then you can have the exalted speargun/staff shoot out projectiles that do something (Although you might not like the idea, i love the idea of having a magically staff and blowing stuff up with magical bolts; the true magical experience). This way you get your Rage mode pissed off mage whilst i can still have a very unique exalted weapon to shoot things with (cause i am invested on this idea).

when it comes to the sleep aspect of Midnight Barrier

I think you misunderstood my point; i wasn't saying get rid of the sleep, it's just that when enemies take too much damage when they are asleep they wake up which ruins the point of them sleeping and in that case it would be better to just make it a blind ability instead of sleep. I was just trying to make it so you can still put large groups of enemies too sleep for long periods of time WHILST still allowing the damage to enemies you want to damage with the ability.

I'm just glad you took my feedback into consideration.

1 hour ago, AndouRaiton said:

I will agree to that; my thought was that there were 10 DIFFERENT sigils you could choose from that give DIFFERENT effects and then charge an ability with ONE of them. But now i understand what you are getting at.

After reviewing what you said i may be wrong, the whole reason i wanted to lower the damage that much was because of spamming it. However it could be raised to maybe 500, like with Ash's shurikens. However, i would like to point out that the shurikens only strip armor with an augment not as a base ability and the base ability simply deals damage and leaves a slash proc whilst Pure force knocks enemies away AND suspends them. However, as you mentioned Obreon does do percentage based and maybe we could make Pure force do 250 base damage + some% of enemy base health. Especially seeing the +300% to every stat with 10 sigils would make this quite overpowered.

I can't and won't defend Revenant but Khora, with her whipclaw augment, can easily kill Sortie 3 enemies in a single swing, that's not mediocre, however the rest of her kit is pretty mediocre in comparison.

Yeah, Octavia is busted BUT it requires physical effort OUTSIDE of the abilities to; 1. make a good and powerful song (although that's easy now cause of Google) and 2. you need to maintain buffs through actions in game to get that type of power for and decently long time. So although she is overpowered, she requires effort and some skill to do it. I've seen plenty of noob Octavias get their butts handed to them at Hydron.

The main reason i said the Signerix should be an exalted weapon is because that is what you described it as; a weapon you can pull out using the 4th ability that has tremendous power and unique mechanics and replaces your currently equipped weapon. However, an improvement can be that; whilst the ability is active, the other three abilities are overridden for the abilities you originally had; Pure Force with Sphere of Destruction (what i'm calling it), Midnight barrier with Life Stealing Crytstal(s), and Anchored storm with Ground Slam. Then you can have the exalted speargun/staff shoot out projectiles that do something (Although you might not like the idea, i love the idea of having a magically staff and blowing stuff up with magical bolts; the true magical experience). This way you get your Rage mode pissed off mage whilst i can still have a very unique exalted weapon to shoot things with (cause i am invested on this idea).

I think you misunderstood my point; i wasn't saying get rid of the sleep, it's just that when enemies take too much damage when they are asleep they wake up which ruins the point of them sleeping and in that case it would be better to just make it a blind ability instead of sleep. I was just trying to make it so you can still put large groups of enemies too sleep for long periods of time WHILST still allowing the damage to enemies you want to damage with the ability.

I'm just glad you took my feedback into consideration.

No problem, i feel like its important to listen to and consider feedback (especially when you specifically ask for it... hint hint DE :))

I get the Sphere of Destruction thing... and it gave me quite the delight. I might actually change the name of the ability to that, except i don't want Dimps and Bandai Calling copyright or trademark, because then i would have to call BS.

I like the idea of replacing all the abilities, but i figured people might be all "but i want to use the awesome rage mode AND the regular abilities at the same time". I personally love that idea though because its like the rage mode takes all the abilities to the next level.

As for the magical speargun idea, you thought i might not like the idea but i actually really do... although for survivability purposes the 90% damage reduction might have to stick around when using the fourth ability cause...you know... we don't want the pissed off sorcerer to evaporate the moment she gets serious... 🙂

18 minutes ago, (XB1)DarkRepulser205 said:

"but i want to use the awesome rage mode AND the regular abilities at the same time"

Simple solution; you need to hold the ability button down to use the Rage Mode abilities (only in rage mode) and leave tapping to place the old abilities.