Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Character Concept: Sentients) Junpow

Crimsonblack

I work only towards the goals of Hunhow, and all my studying serves to better the sentients. Your death will fulfill that goal in the end.

-Junpow to an unknown Orokin noble during the Orokin war

Story: The sentients are quite befitting of their name. They are 'sentient', but they are not 'sapient'. They follow the greater sentient. The first meant to lead them to new worlds for colonization and terraforming: Hunhow. However, because they were given the ability to adapt, many underwent physical changes brought by their environment or forced by Hunhow. But Junpow was not one of these. It started off as a conculyst performing the tasks set to it by Hunhow and his seeds. Perhaps from poor management or cheer coincidence, Junpow was never able to get to the forefront of combat. Sure, it got in a few strikes, but nothing significant. By most of the battles it joined in, all the fighting was completed or the goal reached and retreat was necessary.

Over time, Junpow began thinking for itself, loosening the grip Hunhow had on its hand. It never truly let go as it feared what might happen if it lost its connection, but Junpow never stopped evolving. Because it was constantly set aside in battles, it had time to observe. To study. To learn. It viewed the Orokin at their peak. It saw how far they were willing to go for victory. They used the infestation: An enemy that existed longer than the Orokin themselves. They believed they could control them, but they failed, and so they immediately went further. They made weaponry out of the deformed flesh, and for a time, it worked.

Junpow watched as the weapons consumed their users. Time and time again it learned what was happening around it, and time and time again it could not approach the battle with its fellows. It figured out a key element: It had no goals other than fighting and dying. It needed to make one for itself, as Hunhow would not, and so it delved into its memories to try and find a purpose for itself. It came to another realization: In every single battle against the Orokin, there were always leaders hiding behind their troops. The more distinctive ones hid away in tents, likely training with weapons or actively redefining their strategies as the troops fought. It was the most logical conclusion.

Junpow was no longer sentient. It had attained sapience. It could work on what it had, and while it still worked to the goals of Hunhow and his seeds, it could take a different approach to the problems it was confronted with.

Unfortunately, Junpow's conculyst body was not good enough for assassination, and it did not want to only serve that purpose. It could use the bodies of its fellow sentients fallen in battle to improve itself. During this time, its programming evolved further and further, becoming similar to Hunhow's and that of his seeds. The only similarities it developed was the ability to switch from body-to-body, but it preferred the one it designed after many years of scavenging. After much trial and error, it was complete. It used the traits scavenged by mimics to return to the conculyst body it once had and repeated its fortunate circumstances on the field of battle, sneaking around the battle lines and appearing near the Orokin generals. Junpow's image of his enemies being dangerous, highly competent foes was shattered. Most of the generals he found were naught but mewling 'children' in the bodies of adults. They were spoiled and dining on treats and drink while their soldiers died for them. Disillusioned, Junpow decided to torture its targets psychologically before killing them, teaching them that even the most unassuming of stones can be the most dangerous of items if used well.

This discovery is what ultimately led to Junpow's defeat near the end of the war. It assumed the latest general was another child, but he was wrong. This one was competent. This one was smart. This one had learned about the sentient's existence and prepared accordingly. The tenno; A new breed of sentient-orokin technology, swiftly dispatched the unassuming Junpow used to only fighting the most mundane of retainers and guards. Unable to destroy its body, the Orokin sealed it away in an undisclosed location now forgotten by all, but Junpow does not mind. With its ability to change bodies at will, it has all the time it needs and the patience to act upon it. It will find its body it worked hard to create. It has others ways of acting in the mean time.

Appearance:

Even when large in size, keep your form unassuming. Walk, like a lumbering beast. Move, like an imbalanced platform. Strike, like a rusted sword. You will not be considered a true threat, and that is the mistake they must make of their own volition. To force is to be impatient and too obvious, and I have learned of patience. I have learned it well.

Junpow's new body was thrice the size of a regular sentient, easily towering over the humans that once were. Its shoulders were large, protruding, hollow lozenges and contained a swirling vortex of humming sentient energy. Its long arms, thin as blades, were now capable of splitting at the ends into separate shards connected to the main body by the same energy in Junpow's shoulders. These 'fingers' could shoot out as silent darts darts, leaving the rest of the arm to strike out at any that got too close. Because they dragged along the floor due to their length, Junpow would need to fold its arms, giving them the length of a conculyst's blades. Its legs ended in sharp points that used the sentient energy to remain silent as it slid across the floor to the generals and in the shadows, but they could very well leave a trace of burning energy that consumed all non-sentients and replenish Junpow's kin.

With a larger body came a larger torso molded and struck with scavenged orokin decorations. Upon its chest are two golden bars place diagonally inwards, leaving the top pointing to Junpow's shoulders. Its stomach is a random assortment of poorly placed rings each jutting out different distances from its white-orange metal. The sentient found great joy in gathering golden rings and half-rings from the Orokin, becoming its treasure. If it lost any, he had plenty more to spare. Junpow collected several hundreds of thousands of them during the war and would use them to replenish any lost on its body.

His head possesses a large, rotating orb above the optics that is covered by a retractable protective armor. With this, the sentient can fire beams in all directions or focus all the orb's power onto a single target, wiping them out of existence entirely.

Abilities:

If you have overwhelming power, you can seem invincible, but you will be taken down by even the smallest thorn if placed in the right spot. Power and defense must be melded with a tactical mind to be efficient.

Already a violent arsenal, Junpow's body can also spread sentient energy outwards and bring its enemies inwards. It often used this in the shadows to drag the Orokin soldiers into a pile of sentients or to disrupt their formation while on its way to a general. Much like the other sentients, it still adapts to its environment and the effects thrust upon it, but Junpow learns from its mistakes and has kept a small, secondary database within its body to remember the different environmental effects, allowing it to adapt twice as fast as any of the regular sentients.

Current Day Junpow:

I learned many things, Tenno. I learned how to observe. How to study. How to learn. I shared my discoveries with my targets before killing them, and in perhaps the cruelest of irony, I did not learn to learn from myself. I committed the same mistakes I taught the generals to not repeat.

Never think a sentient makes the same mistake twice, tenno. I underestimated you since I saw you as little more than new, untested tools of the Orokin. I bided my time since our return to the Tau system, thinking of my mistakes over and over, and I've been watching you since we've returned through my kin that you've killed. You have taught me much already.

Since the sentients came back with the return of Lua from the Void, Junpow has been lingering within the conculysts, learning of the Tenno, the Grineer, the Corpus, and the Infested. He has been amusing himself with impeding tenno progress and studying how they overcome obstacles. He watches the other races in hopes that they might find his imprisoned body, but also to see how to best dispose of them. After all, they're no better than the Orokin.

He takes a particular interest in the robotics of the other races and the different warframes that have appeared since the exile of his kind, finding amusement in mocking what he's already understood or praising it for its ingenuity.

Loki:

A cloaking module? Only the incompetent require a machine to turn invisible. True stealth can be done under the eyes of those you wish to avoid without resorting to such cheap tricks.

Limbo:

A space between the spaces between? Fascinating. To discover such a thing and to use it in such a manner. Unheard of! I must see more!

Rhino

A hulking brute over-relying on strength and nothing else. A simple stick will destroy your balance and leave you vulnerable. No posture. No position. No form. A terrible warframe.

Vauban

A tactical mind combining offense, defense, and support. A laudable cause with deserving results. How can this warframe's abilities be combined? How does each one work with what they have? So many questions, so much time to mull them over.

Revenant:

You...this...What is this? The energy of the mighty Eidolon? But a warframe? You are young...too young. How did this come to be? Wielding the power of the Eidolon without the coming storm. Without the screaming song. To infatuate your enemies and turn them against each other. To adapt and drain like my kin. I must peel you apart. Learn from within. A new body, perhaps?

Excalibur Umbra:

A wild beast untamed since the Orokin war, and yet there is a leash around your neck. I don't know what binds you, but I will not have you remain. You are an impedance more than an intrigue, and your abilities damage Hunhow. Unfathomable.

Nidus:

A warframe almost entirely made from the infested plague. How is such a thing possible? Even we cannot control the infestation. Show me your insides. Show me how you were created. Maybe a cure can be made.

Titania:

Work by a diseased mind and sculpted from guilt and sorrow. Your powers are derived from ancient folklore, and are thus as imaginary as the greens of the Earth. I have no time for you...

Harrow:

How...disconcerting. I don't like the hushed whispers the void emits around your essence, but your death could unlock its secrets. You are not truly of the Orokin, after all.

Garuda:

A mere beast hungering for blood and gore. I could lead you about with only a stick and a piece of meat attached to it. Such is your thirst that you rip apart pieces of your body to use as weapon. While you provide nothing useful, you do provide me with amusement I have lacked for so long. Let us see what can be done with you.

Trinity:

Mending the wounds of your kin...by draining the life-force of your enemies? How characteristically Orokin. I must study the transferal process and apply it to the sentients.

Saryn:

Every step you make poisons the ground and sickens the air. You are the reason with opposed our own creators. Pure destruction that can kill even planets. I will retrieve samples from your corpse and adapt it to serve the sentients. Perhaps Hunhow could clean the infestation with it, and in the process, cure all of you.

Nova:

Fascinating. With every disgust and disappointment I find scientific intrigue and curiosity. How do you wield antimatter when you, yourself, are made of matter? You should disintegrate! And yet even though you are filled with it, you can manipulate it freely. What is the trick? Fields working on the principles of repulsion? A stabilizing field of Orokin-based energy? What is the energy? Show me, warframe.

Gara:

Aaaah. You are the fabled 'Gara' of glass. The one who defeated the least mighty of our mightiest. I thought you destroyed. You have the persistence to come back from the dead. If you have such determination, show me the power and strategy employed to defeat Eidolon. There are more interesting things than simple power. Do not disappoint me.

Khora:

...A warframe fighting alongside a beast. Surely a cruel jest by the Orokin who seek only to consume. Still, the sentients could benefit for the cooperation demonstrated between a kavat and warframe displaying similar genetic construct.

Hydroid:

You use water to fight, and create simulacrums of deep sea beasts on the surface? While amusing, it serves me not. We already have one who can manipulate water.

Ember:

A vicious torrent of fire can serve at nothing more than consuming. No matter how much you flail, warframe, you will only end up consuming yourself and your fellow frames in the process. All I need to do is choke the air from you.

Atlas:

A rough, physical tactic reminiscent of the forgotten cultures of Earth. Your stance and ability to manipulate the land...I must see how they function in tandem with each other. Go forth and fight. Offer all you have to your enemies. Show me the power you squander.

Zephyr:

Mmmmm. To control the land is to control the food, but to control the air is to control the seeds. With such power, the sentients need not waste their time fighting. We would only need to wave an arm to send storms across the planet, cleaning it of the Orokin infestation.

Nekros:

Fear is a mighty weapon. It can stop wars before they happen. It can prevent deaths from occurring. Using the dead is a more terrifying weapon than I could have imagined possible. I am infatuated by this process of raising the dead. It can serve the sentients...in some manner.

Oberon:

You are unfocused and derivative. Much like Titania, you have no true power and only meander about like so many of the unwieldy beasts the Orokin threw at us.

Valkyr:

A cornered beast is often the most ferocious. A caged beast becomes passive after a while. You were both, so show me what you did with your time, warframe.

Mirage:

Tricks? Disguising lethal traps as toys and a lightshow. It is not unheard of, but I still find it...unfitting of warframes.

• 1st trap: I fell for one the traps. A minor inconvenience. It won't happen again.
  • 2nd trap: I'm beginning to suspect that my analytical routines are faulty or that your traps are far more clever in their benign appearance than I thought.

Chroma:

The skin of a beast working in tandem with its hunter, and both have different powers adapting to their color. Fascinating.

Frost:

Functioning on the concept of ice. An intriguing development, but we already have kin capable of such drastic manipulations.

Volt:

Lightning storms on the tip of one's fingers can power anything. You're usage intrigues me, warframe. What else can you do with such power?

Octavia:

Musicians have ever been an inspiration to marching troops, but the Orokin have made such a concept even greater! How can mere sounds empower warframes?

Inaros:

You are immune to death, like the sentients. I...do not understand. Are you powered by the sands and the insects that surround you? I must destroy you to prevent your secret from reaching others.

Equinox

A chimeric warframe? The Orokin pulled all of your powers out to their fullest, allowing you to adapt to almost any situation. We shape the celestial bodies. I never thought the sentients would fight them.

Mag:

You use one of the four elemental forces that comprises the universe...but so does a small magnet. With the proper polarity charge, your powers are useless.

Banshee:

Mmm. Using an ability to muffle your sounds. Very efficient for assassination and theft, but I will not acknowledge something that cannot perform such a task with their own physical ability.

Ash:

Using the cover of smoke to distract your enemies and kill them or to vanish from sight. Something so simple is tactically sound...why didn't I think of that during the war?

Excalibur (Original):

The first of the warframes. I have seen your kind many many times, and each time I have been disappointed. I doubt that you will be much different from them.

Ivara

Capable of wielding a bow and shooting multiple enemies with pinpoint accuracy. I must learn if it is innate or trained. Such skills would be beneficial to the sentients.

Nyx

A terrifying ability; mind manipulation. You need only bend a finger to destroy your enemies. It can prevent entire wars on its own...but we are not so easily controlled. Sentients have no fear. We have only a goal to work towards.

Wukong:

Your abilities are strange, to be sure. I have never seen the Orokin design anything quite like you. What can something with the mannerisms of Earth's instinct primates do on the battlefield? Nothing remarkable, I would imagine.

Nezha:

Your usage of flames is creative, but aggravating. I will not have one who uses fire so freely to persist.

Mesa:

A war can be halted with but a single bullet. Your accuracy is to be hailed as something unique, but a gun can only hold so many bullets.

Baruuk:

100% Restraint: A coward who is given the greatest of weapons will drop it and flee when it yells too loudly upon the field of battle.

0% Restraint: A coward pushed into the corner will flail their arms like a child, and while some strikes may hit, only the weakest of combatants are stopped by such a display.

Hildryn:

Your impressive physique seems only for display. The energy surrounding you serves as both a weapon and a protective cover for you and your allies. This can serve the sentients well. Show me how you would combat me with these abilities, that I might learn from them.

Other concepts:

Kankritos the Insect Plague

Acquisition Quest

Obion Three

Cohedron the Wireframe

Galloglaich the Highborn

Kasaya of the Calming Incense

Meeyas of Mists

Cantus of Hands

O'Dokurai: The drum of war

Macadam: Ensnaring Tar

Noropax: Dancing Ribbon of Nerves

Sectolyst: Failed sentient anticounter

New sentient enemies

Edited by Crimsonblack

On 2018-10-28 at 6:57 PM, Almighty_Jado said:

Yo wassap CB

Of course you grabbed my attention by mentioning Sentients, so here I am!

Before I begin, quick question- what exactly does Junpow fill in terms of gameplay? Is he a boss? Some kinda playable non-Tenno character? I must know more!

Yay! Someone who wants to know more!

Junpow is a non-playable character that pops up randomly in missions to mess with your frames temporarily just to see what will happen. It goes from simple things like wiping your shields to manipulating machinery around to become much more powerful. It wants to gather as much information as it can until the day its body is rediscovered.

It becomes a sort of miniboss when the sentients are involved, taking over the bodies of conculysts and empowering them with greater power, survivability, speed, and new abilities like teleportation (shown as him blasting off into the sky and landing behind a frame and knocking them down) and charging into you. If it hits, it grapples the warframe, squeezing it with its blade arms until the frame breaks free of the grip and kicks Junpow in the face.

Of course, when its body is found, it could be a good way to get Sectolyst's parts, or at least the BP at the end of a quest line.

On 2018-10-28 at 7:10 PM, Sc10n0fD4rksp0r3 said:

I would say that he?/she?/it? Is one of the feudal Sentient Lords I mentioned earlier.

Watchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Edited by Crimsonblack

Just now, Almighty_Jado said:

Ah, so almost like a Sentient Assassin (like the G3/Zanuka Harvester/Stalker/DeathSquads)! Very interesting!

You can see it that way, but Junpow doesn't think of himself as one, hence the massive, multipurpose body he built for himself.

Gotta say, I really like the idea of a boss character directly addressing the Warframe the player is using, besides the miscellaneous facts about them wearing a scarf or being slippery. 

I honestly would be interested in how Junpow would react to Revenant, considering his Sentient background. 

1 minute ago, Scruffel said:

Gotta say, I really like the idea of a boss character directly addressing the Warframe the player is using, besides the miscellaneous facts about them wearing a scarf or being slippery. 

I honestly would be interested in how Junpow would react to Revenant, considering his Sentient background. 

Well. Give me a second. I've only now started building revenant so let me build up some research. I'll tell you when it's done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Scruffel said:

Iz done.