Future Warframes Being Associated With Schools/Clans

RuFi0

I've noticed that there will eventually be a plateau when it comes to the amount of powers and abilities that would have synergy in this game. After every new frame that comes out, other players will make commentary about how certain powers seem 'borrowed' from other frames. "That's just like __________'s 1, but with knives instead" -- you hear stuff like that a lot.

What do you think about future Warframes being a part of certain "schools" or "clans" that are formed from the original? Each original Warframe will have its own school, and future Warframes that are released will have powers based on this school. Any Warframe from the same school that ISN'T an original will have the ability to mix and match abilities with others. So Rhino's school will be all about buffing damage output and tanking damage input. Excalibur's school will be all about being well-rounded and useful. Vauban's school will be all about crowd control, etc.

With this system, future Warframes will still have their own unique style and abilities, but their skillset will be determined upon their founding school. This will explain having warframes with similar abilities, but not only that, perhaps - in the event that some abilities are too similar or to allow for more freedom with frames that seem similar to others - they would be able to have swappable powers.

Swappable abilities

Any Warframes under the same school that aren't an original will be able to have swappable abilities. I feel like, starting off, swappable powers should only be applicable for powers related to utility or movement. That way a swap system doesn't completely break the game.

Basically, each OG forms their own school, and subsequent warframes will have powers and abilities based on those.

Edited by RuFi0

If you want you can even make these schools the already established focus schools; Unairu for tanks as they are the defensive school, Madurai for damage dealers as they are the damage school, Naramon for exalted weapon users as they are the melee/weapon school, Zenurik for casters as they are the energy (which casters need) school, and Vazarin for healers/buffers as it's the healing school.

Call of duty 10 is just like call of duty 8 but with some different mechanics.

Friday the 13th part 27 is just like Friday the 13th part 18 but he just kills different people.

Madden 2018 is just like Madden 94 but with better graphics (actually I might not be making that up).

As long as it's not the same 4 abilities on another warframe no one is going to care tbh. 

Plus they can introduce a new "prime-type" upgrade, call it something else and we'd get gen 2 primed warframes

I felt like I replied on this thread twice but for some reason it never shows up...hmm...trying again. 

On 2018-10-28 at 8:51 AM, Dabnician said:

Call of duty 10 is just like call of duty 8 but with some different mechanics.

Friday the 13th part 27 is just like Friday the 13th part 18 but he just kills different people.

Madden 2018 is just like Madden 94 but with better graphics (actually I might not be making that up).

As long as it's not the same 4 abilities on another warframe no one is going to care tbh. 

Plus they can introduce a new "prime-type" upgrade, call it something else and we'd get gen 2 primed warframes

Not sure what the point of this post was - are you for or against the idea; why?

On 2018-10-27 at 7:12 PM, AndouRaiton said:

If you want you can even make these schools the already established focus schools; Unairu for tanks as they are the defensive school, Madurai for damage dealers as they are the damage school, Naramon for exalted weapon users as they are the melee/weapon school, Zenurik for casters as they are the energy (which casters need) school, and Vazarin for healers/buffers as it's the healing school.

I thought about this too, and the way you laid it out is a great idea. I do feel like Warframes should have their own 'family', and Operators can have their own school. Look at it from a Naruto kind of way: Clans are all family and have their own abilities and culture, but any ninja from any clan can attend the academy under certain studies. So warframes would be a part of different clans or families, and the abilities of the new warframes will be based upon the family tree. 

On 2018-10-27 at 5:19 PM, Teksorbkyva said:

This sounds like a cool idea, but only when they really run out of unique warframes and want to do an overhaul. I'd like to see the ability to augment powers singularly, so you can build each power as you want it. Maybe that could fit into that same rework.

I agree, it's not something warframe needs, we haven't hit the ceiling yet when it comes to new frames. I'd love the idea of swapping powers individually, but again,  mostly keep that for utility and movement. For instance, I have a "Batman Ash" theme that I love to play as, and if I could swap Shuriken for Valkyr's Ripline, I would be silly excited. Being able to grapple around just like the Bats -- that would be so awesome.

56 minutes ago, RuFi0 said:

I'd love the idea of swapping powers individually, but again,  mostly keep that for utility and movement. For instance, I have a "Batman Ash" theme that I love to play as, and if I could swap Shuriken for Valkyr's Ripline, I would be silly excited. Being able to grapple around just like the Bats -- that would be so awesome.

This is the exact reason they shouldnt do this, the minmax crowd will come in and pick the 4  best synergy abilities and start a whole new "nerf world on fire" trend. That's too much freedom of choice. 

40 minutes ago, Dabnician said:

This is the exact reason they shouldnt do this, the minmax crowd will come in and pick the 4  best synergy abilities and start a whole new "nerf world on fire" trend. That's too much freedom of choice.  

That's why I made the point of restricting the powers to movement and utility; you're not going to be able to pick all damage and buff skills to nuke the map. Also, having 4 swappable powers is too much. Think of it as a special slot. You get 4 powers, 1 is swappable, but dmg and buffs are not. You still have to give up a power to get another one.

Dabnician, I feel like you're being very dismissive, and your reasons for disagreeing are based on your opinion ie "too much freedom of choice" - elaborate on that  and provide a convincing argument instead of disagreeing without making a counter-point. Try to be more constructive my friend, that's how ideas improve.

1st issue: I dont know your understanding in coding or software development but i would assume the amount of work to allow warframes to swap abilities even if it was just 1 would be a nightmare to refactor into the existing game. This is really the sort of change that should have been made by some one during Early Access... when warframe was a paid to play game, in 2013.

2nd issue: warframes and the abilities are balanced with respect to the individual warframes' stats and other abilities. You now introduce the issue with an ability having to be balanced across all the warframes that can use it.
I use limbo for spy missions if i get any Ash/Loki/Ivarna invisibility abilities you can throw those in the trash too if i can swap out banishment because now Ash/Loki/Ivarna are worthless to me at that point.

3rd issue: Lore as revealed during the sacrifice:

Spoiler

Warframes aren't made, they are grown, from flesh, they are infested-human hydrids infected with the helminth strain. If you look at the design of the warframes the physical model is themed with the abilities looks in mind. Frost for example has those little jets on his arms that spray energy out that look ... frosty i guess you could say. Ember.... do i even really have to explain how the abilities and looks are tied together?
You dont breed goats and wait for them to grow up to decide what type of milk produce because they are from the same school of animal.

4 hours ago, RuFi0 said:

Batman Ash

Valkyrie's rip line just as you stated would get cherry picked, i have an all black Rhino Prime with a Targis prime armor set, if you color it to all black except for tertiary it has a bat logo on it. Sure id agree that changing out rhino charge for rip line would give me my legit batman rhino just as you want a batman ash but then that means i have no reason to even level a Valkyrie which i have yet to build either a stock or prime warframe of. Valkyrie would be worthless to me at that point.

I feel that the over all suggestion as it stands makes existing warframes less special because it allows you to take unique things away from them.

The feedback, with some spoilers because of the story quests:

Spoiler

DE seems to be going the "create your own" route, we saw this with Zaws on the plains of eidolon, they are doing it again with Fortuna... the next step(albeit with some skipped ones im not mentioning) will be the "Furture warframes" are ones that the community will have to create with some system that doesn't even exist.  If they are going to make it so that abilities can be swapped out on warframes development would be better spent here making a new system that allows new warframes to have different abilities along with different parts for models.

You could have can your schools tied to what the abilities are, along with components that makes those abilities possible, you could install somethign in yoru warframe that increases the ability to use mandrui abilities versus zenruik, etc, etc, etc, you could have parts that enable specific abilities so you needed enough clocking parts to make your warframe go invisible or enough liquid armor sacs that spray ferrite to increase your armor(ie loki's invisibility or rhino's iron skin). for abilitites that can't/shouldnt be shared they simply dont add the parts to make them or put something in place that makes using of them together not conducive, done.

They also wont have Issues with creating "New" Art since: They already have tenno gen in place to create an unlimited number Art Assets that the community will gladly hand over for dream of being a "digital artist" along with a 30% commission and they(DE) dont have to ask if they copy of 3d Studio max that user has installed is legal.  "Heres a warframe skeleton, edit the mesh keep it under 5k tris and your done)"

Edited by Dabnician

2 hours ago, Dabnician said:

1st issue: I dont know your understanding in coding or software development but i would assume the amount of work to allow warframes to swap abilities even if it was just 1 would be a nightmare to refactor into the existing game. This is really the sort of change that should have been made by some one during Early Access... when warframe was a paid to play game, in 2013.

2nd issue: warframes and the abilities are balanced with respect to the individual warframes' stats and other abilities. You now introduce the issue with an ability having to be balanced across all the warframes that can use it.
I use limbo for spy missions if i get any Ash/Loki/Ivarna invisibility abilities you can throw those in the trash too if i can swap out banishment because now Ash/Loki/Ivarna are worthless to me at that point.

3rd issue: Lore as revealed during the sacrifice:

Reveal hidden contents

Warframes aren't made, they are grown, from flesh, they are infested-human hydrids infected with the helminth strain. If you look at the design of the warframes the physical model is themed with the abilities looks in mind. Frost for example has those little jets on his arms that spray energy out that look ... frosty i guess you could say. Ember.... do i even really have to explain how the abilities and looks are tied together?
You dont breed goats and wait for them to grow up to decide what type of milk produce because they are from the same school of animal.

Valkyrie's rip line just as you stated would get cherry picked, i have an all black Rhino Prime with a Targis prime armor set, if you color it to all black except for tertiary it has a bat logo on it. Sure id agree that changing out rhino charge for rip line would give me my legit batman rhino just as you want a batman ash but then that means i have no reason to even level a Valkyrie which i have yet to build either a stock or prime warframe of. Valkyrie would be worthless to me at that point.

I feel that the over all suggestion as it stands makes existing warframes less special because it allows you to take unique things away from them.

The feedback, with some spoilers because of the story quests:

Reveal hidden contents

DE seems to be going the "create your own" route, we saw this with Zaws on the plains of eidolon, they are doing it again with Fortuna... the next step(albeit with some skipped ones im not mentioning) will be the "Furture warframes" are ones that the community will have to create with some system that doesn't even exist.  If they are going to make it so that abilities can be swapped out on warframes development would be better spent here making a new system that allows new warframes to have different abilities along with different parts for models.

You could have can your schools tied to what the abilities are, along with components that makes those abilities possible, you could install somethign in yoru warframe that increases the ability to use mandrui abilities versus zenruik, etc, etc, etc, you could have parts that enable specific abilities so you needed enough clocking parts to make your warframe go invisible or enough liquid armor sacs that spray ferrite to increase your armor(ie loki's invisibility or rhino's iron skin). for abilitites that can't/shouldnt be shared they simply dont add the parts to make them or put something in place that makes using of them together not conducive, done.

They also wont have Issues with creating "New" Art since: They already have tenno gen in place to create an unlimited number Art Assets that the community will gladly hand over for dream of being a "digital artist" along with a 30% commission and they(DE) dont have to ask if they copy of 3d Studio max that user has installed is legal.  "Heres a warframe skeleton, edit the mesh keep it under 5k tris and your done)"

As far as coding: I will never doubt DE's ability to surpass themselves. I never would have imagined they would have a quarter of what's in the game back in 2014. But the coding argument isn't relevant at this stage: the issue on whether or not it would be difficult to code would be something that should be discussed after an idea is actually hashed out. I merely want feedback on my fan concept, not whether or not it would be realistic or difficult to code in game. It's okay to talk about things you want to see, even if you know they won't be put into the game. You never know who might run with the idea. With that being said, coding difficulty has nothing to do with this, as we're all here to share ideas and concepts. You're acting like that guy telling the Wright brothers about all the impossibilities of flying before they've even drawn up a blueprint of a plane.

Also, you're forgetting that Original warframes will NOT be able to have swapable powers for the very reason you stated above. It would break the game. That is why - after all the warframe ideas have been miked dry - you can start to make a new system with new Warframes that have swappable abilities. Again, NONE OF THIS will be possible with ORIGINAL WARFRAMES.

Also, limbo's rift walk is not a power, it's an innate ability of his. You wouldn't be able to switch Limbo's powers because of that, because if you're not able to swap between void modes, his entire skillset would be useless for other warframes. So again, that specific example doesn't hold up very well.

As far as your Ripline comment, see my earlier point again about originals. You're assuming that powers would be switchable from the get-go, which would never fly with DE. There would be specific requirements for being able to access this, and I can see them not letting you choose a power for a frame you haven't mastered yet. But....I can't even wrap my head around you saying Valkyr would be worthless to you just because you've already swapped her 1 with another frame......because Valky'rs 2-4 are her entire kit. You're not gonna build or level a frame just because her rip-line could be swapped? But again, this wouldn't be a problem because originals can't swap, remember?