Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Linux Launcher Build

Flan-Flan

While I'm sure some method of playing Warframe via Lutris, Wine or Playonlinux exists, I was wondering if it would be possible to build the launcher natively for Linux? Valve recently released Proton, a version of Wine for running games via Steam, but the issue is the launcher itself doesn't even run. If it did, Linux users might be able to simply run the game through Steam via Proton instead of having to deal with other alternatives. Therefore, would it be possible to get a build of the launcher that runs on Linux?

If you do a search, someone around here has posted a launcher that fixes a problem with getting it to properly launch.  I can't remember who or where, but you should be able to find it with some looking.

Also, in case you haven't seen it, you can check status of games for Proton here: https://www.protondb.com/

There are also Firefox and Chrome plugins that will work with Steam to show you compatibility.  Hopefully someone could get it working.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just wondering about this, actually. I have Linux on one of my PCs and was trying to get it started with Warframe but was not having any luck until I searched the forums here. I hope that they actually consider making it playable on the system, without necessarily needing to play via Wine, Lutris, or Playonlinux. This is helpful, thank you everyone.

Lutris is nice, but I'd rather an official release of... something. I know the typical outside scope, too complex, too much effort, not enough players argument, but even something as basic as porting the launcher. That's the problem component after all. DXVK, esync, Proton, whatever, they can take care of the rest if Digital Extremes isn't interested in working on OpenGL or Vulkan ports of Warframe.

Maybe I don't really get it, but that's how it looks to me.

10 hours ago, Flan-Flan said:

Lutris is nice, but I'd rather an official release of... something. I know the typical outside scope, too complex, too much effort, not enough players argument, but even something as basic as porting the launcher. That's the problem component after all. DXVK, esync, Proton, whatever, they can take care of the rest if Digital Extremes isn't interested in working on OpenGL or Vulkan ports of Warframe.

Maybe I don't really get it, but that's how it looks to me.

It's highly probable someone who eighter directly or indirectly works for DE has to take care of DXVK. Switch does not have directX support.

But fixing the Launcher shouldn't be rocket surgery, and that's all thats needed.

It would be awesome to have a Linux port for Warframe! Just this Friday I decided to switch away from Windows 10, and I'm very happy with how Linux is behaving. I can't say Warframe runs as smoothly there... for the first few minutes playing the framerate would drop to the 30 fps zone for up to 40 mins before stabilizing in the 150-300 fps range. Public matches make the framerate cap at around 150-200 fps, but soloplay goes 300 fps consistently. In this regard, it's even a better behavior than in Windows, actually. There, the public matches would go usually below 100fps, and only some soloplay missions would go consistently above 300 fps, and still with bigger fluctuations. Anyway, another compromise is that alt+tab only works if I'm in 'windowed' mode. Any other kind of screen display and it won't switch between open windows. Lastly, after a while sound just stopped working completely. I'm playing without any sounds whatsoever, but I'm ok with that since I'm used to listening to other things on the background. So, Wine and Lutris do run Warframe, but unfortunately this is a workaround, not actually a fully developed and polished Linux port for the game. I really hope DE will develop a real Linux port sometime in the near future. I actually hope Linux will grow bigger among all kinds of gamers, so games being ported to Linux will become commonplace. Windows and iOS should just die, those damn corporate leeches.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all!

I'm a fan of both Warframe and Linux OS. I wanted to ask any of youwho might want to help, if you would please sign and share this petition I started, kindly requesting DE to port Warframe into Linux OS. Here is the link, you can take a look, and who knows, maybe even share it with someone else, that would be greatly appreciated =)

Digital Extremes (DE) for porting Warframe into Linux OS:
https://www.change.org/p/digital-extremes-de-digital-extremes-de-for-porting-warframe-into-linux-os?recruiter=246191616&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink&utm_campaign=share_petition

Thank you so much.

• 1 month later...

Hello every one ir hoy use Linux hoy have 2 ways to run warframe on it one download lutris and install it from There then download wine staging then wine  dependencies help from glorious egg  download dxvk  then run the game here is the link and we thanks to my friend laegnur form jugando en linux  he make a scrip to put the games in Spanish so I think you can make the same to put the game in another languages both  links are here

https://jugandoenlinux.com/index.php/foro/juegos-en-wine/142-warframe-en-espanol

Enjoy

Edited by xatusbetazx17

On 2018-12-20 at 1:16 PM, Valetdepik said:

First of all, is Digital Extreme okay with people playing Warframe on Linux ?

Cause I heard some companies disagree with that and consider those Linux players cheaters in order to ban them. Which seems kind of over reacting to me.

Seriously? That does seem pretty extreme. Do you know why that is?

Because they can't monitor for cheating. Their anti-cheat software simply doesn't work on linux. Even more to the point, the process control a knowledgeable user has over their operating system is unparalleled so even IF someone made an anti-cheat program that would run on a linux machine, disabling it is laughably easy on linux.

40 minutes ago, M3tallius said:

Because they can't monitor for cheating. Their anti-cheat software simply doesn't work on linux. Even more to the point, the process control a knowledgeable user has over their operating system is unparalleled so even IF someone made an anti-cheat program that would run on a linux machine, disabling it is laughably easy on linux.

Good point. It is still funny that they just assume that everyone using a Linux system is cheating though.