Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr 2.0: The Berserker Revival

Synpai

On 2019-04-15 at 12:27 AM, Andele3025 said:

Nothing in hysteria is effected by range

Pardom my mis-speaking, I intended to say "affected by REACH" 
It's not affected by range in an ability sense (Stretch), but it is in a melee sense, regardless the person seemed to understand that one could increase the range, their point from what I could gather is that they wanted the claws themselves to grow (visually) in size based off of reach, to which is a change that seems too much effort for the pay off IMO.

On 2019-04-15 at 12:27 AM, Andele3025 said:

(and that should actually stay that way to be in line with other exalted weapon skills

Also technically Exalted Blade IS affected by range, it has it's own blind radius when spin attacking for example, separate from Radial Blind.
Baelfire for Hildryn should still count as an exalted and has an explosion radius.
With Concentrated Arrow's augment, Ivara's Artemus Bow becomes affected by range.
Wukong's Primal Fury scales based on how much range you have as well in line with the combo counter too I believe.

The line is more like a bowl of spaghetti and conditionals

On 2019-04-15 at 1:01 AM, 000l000 said:

Not much fan of some ideas there. For now Hysteria is really powerful since being invulnerable is a top notch status, it's not meant to be permanent nor to have a cheap cost for obvious reasons - health cost included.

*visible confusion*

On 2018-10-28 at 9:00 PM, Synpai said:

Hysteria was always a problem which was worked around to what we have now; I understand not wanting people in Hysteria all mission, but this was due to the invulnerability, with no real benefit to players enduring the drain.

She becomes invulnerable and has a chance to fight instead of dying...basically invulnerability but with effort and diminishing returns.
Hysteria is already permanent AND cheap both in cost and gameplay especially the further endgame you go (an extreme being double arcane energize).
There's no real reason to endure the increase in drain over simply jumping to safety and recasting it other than "Stop being invincible forever" BUT in reality it's "...stop being invincible for a second, or just mod to never have to turn it off."

I wouldn't rely upon a toggle with random activation for my slow aura.

I have heavy questions where "random" fits into this ability. 

You cast ability, get charges, slow around you until your charges hit zero.

IF you take X damage then it STUNS by expending a single charge out of the total, but all charges can be expelled manually by recasting.

The way you reworked her 3rd doesn't work since you miss a point here. The way her 3rd works synergizes well with Hysteria since she can get shield back while being invulnerable. The same way your version wouldn't work since she couldn't lose her shield while being invulnerable.

TBH Operator is the new Black. There are many ways to get shield back, but I added note that stunning enemies could add to shield count; equally I don't believe Paralysis currently uses shields to cast instead it uses shields to DAMAGE, if I remember correctly.

She's only briefly invulnerable with this version of Hysteria, so not sure where the last point comes into play.

Tbh Valkyr kit synergizes quite well especially her 2nd and 3rd augment mods.

First i'd change slightly her passive making her immune to grab. Better recovery is fine but grab don't care about that and being immune to such attacks would help her way better. So 50% less recovery time and immunity to grab.

Hysteria makes you immune to all CC, as does a good chunk of melee actions.

Second i'd change her first power too for obvious reasons but wouldn't add another active buff, Chroma already works that way and that's really poor design, really boring too. I really like the idea of a traveling skill but with a way better combat usefulness. Instead of a zipline she could have quite a similar power but only making her charge/dash to an enemy or at distance to help her moving faster. I'd change its augment too, she'd execute a circular strike upon landing into an enemy dealing slash damages with status chance (more status per mod point).

Chroma....that's not correlation. Chroma has issues in design that are too far to list primarily leaning around: His gameplay is ONLY two buffs, not that he has two buffs.

Too many comments to read through, so can't blame ya for not seeing, but I've updated to reflect this discussion:

On 2019-01-27 at 2:49 AM, Synpai said:

Yeah considering many people are fond of it I changed from a full replacement a while ago; but with the pull mechanic it seemed better to send Valkyr to the target (Even if enemy) so that it wouldn't rely on nonsense ragdoll that sometimes sends enemies all over the place on top of forcing a chance to proc the group pull:

If Valkyr recasts over the duration, Provacate performs a Ripline with a chance to shock and pull nearby enemies

However, I've been giving reconsideration to change it to something like this:

If Valkyr recasts over the duration, Provacate performs a Ripline Roll that causes her to furiously impact to target location with a chance to shock and pull nearby enemies. After impact, Valkyr bounces off and rolls in the air (as if under the effects of aim glide). When "aim glide" duration end or melee occurs, Valkyr stops rolling.

Would still keep the reduced costs and increased damage on recasts, but I feel.....this could be crazy fun and powerful as well as give a reason to keep her original Swing Line augment. Full on Sonic build lol would allow for some hilarious maneuverability.

Finally i'd change her 4th augment, since she could definitely use her new 1st to charge anything, something that should have been part of her own kit from the start and not through any augment. Instead of that i'd make her cast Hysteria immediatly upon using her 1st skill, thus bypassing any casting animation and being invulnerable just when the fight begins. It could make a short use of Hysteria more viable. Casting her 4th again will still bring her back from Hysteria though.

The animation isn't that bad. I wouldn't use your suggested augment personally because I could just as easily hit 4, because I don't want to have 1 and 4 be mixed so that I have to turn it off everytime I want to use 1 that is a big ol annoyance. Bias and all, but I still feel my suggestion for Hysteria augment is closer to what I'd like to see, more risk for more reward.

I'd like to propose a new augment for her 1 that's more offensive and synergies better with melee, where when she pulls an enemy in, and does a melee move based on the melee weapon that does finisher damage, (like cleaving them in 2 with a heavy sword as she yanks them towards her)...

...i enjoy simple things

On the first ability replacement: dispatch overdrive is already a thing, and it works almost too well tbh. I want more ways to move that don't involve some sort of arbitrary combo counter or specific circumstantial kill (example: dispatch over drive granting speed via channeling kills, the arcane that gives bonus speed via headshots, the one that gives a bonus to speed when you ARE shot) - those things are all fine but we have plenty of them. Where are the abilities that just let me add speed in movement-related ways? Ripline is one of them, what else you got? If yall get them to take ripline out with the reason: "bullet jump exists", then I demand that you remove the artificial skill-ceiling that is velocity resetting on forward facing bullet jumps. For ones that are meant to turn you around that's fine, but if bullet jump is to exist as our only method of directionalizing and elongating our jump arcs, then I'd like for the system to allow for more creativity. I'm a movement guy, I want movement things. 

Personally the abilities I'd like to see changed are Ripline and paralysis, having them consolidated into a movement + knockdown would work wonders since you retain the good parts about both abilities. The situational mobility from ripline and opening up enemies to finishers from paralysis (though its something I extremely rarely use). Having them consolidated into one ability would free up the 3rd for something interesting to enhance her kit in general. Changing warcry to work of total armor and not base armor would be a nice boost to survivability I would highly welcome, feels very odd it doesn't already do it imo.

As for your suggestions, I love the warcry changes but I'm not that sold on hysteria changes. As for ripline + paralysis it seems nice but I'd rather keep the mobility form ripline even though as much of a gimmick it is currently, though for me its certainly a big breath of fresh air regardless and would welcome any real changes to her 1 and 3.

On 2018-10-31 at 2:07 PM, Synpai said:

I think we need to define high level.

If we're talking flat 90% DR as DR works now (doesn't take into account armor reduction) You'd still be put down by the scaling of enemies considering some valk builds get over 2000 armor (before warcry and arcane guardian) which is ~75+% DR, at what level....I haven't a clue.

-snip-

I mean Flat DR or bonus health and armor either way it's increasing her EHP. It's all the same to me.

Armor damage reduction is static and enemy level don't matter for it, only thing changing with higher levels are enemies getting higher armor. As for flat armor, as long as the damage reduction is percentage based it doesn't matter in what order its applied in (see commutative property) only thing that would matter is if the damage reduction would be a flat amount e.g. -500 damage per hit (only thing I've seen referred to as flat DR in a game context before) in which case you want it as late as possible in the chain for maximum value.

To clear up some armor numbers, for example a Valkyr prime without any mods have 700 armor or 700/(700+300)=0.7 or 70% damage reduction from armor.

Taking a Valkyr prime with all 3 umbral mods maxed bring you to 2047 armor or ~87.2% damage reduction.

With how warcry works currently of base armor, the same Valkyr prime with 330% power strength and all 3 umbral mods would have 3202.5 armor or ~91.4% damage reduction. If warcry worked of total armor and not base armor that would move up to 5425.875 armor or a damage reduction of ~94.76% which is a massive increase in survivability.

On 2018-10-31 at 6:43 PM, GPrime96 said:

I wish Chroma had his old DR because he's the only Frame where you have to take damage to become Tanky (which got worse after his Calculation change). He can still build up a lot of Armor but with the Calculations he got now, he's not in a good place. Valkyr Prime's EHP can be at 10K, 17K with Adaption, or 15K With Quick Thinking and normal Flow so it's not like Valkyr is super Tanky from just Warcry. But the increased Drain, not that big of a deal for me.

Valkyr can reach much much higher EHP values, for example my Valkyr build (330% strength, all 3 umbrals and adaptation) has a EHP of ~125k with fully stacked adaptation. A valkyr prime with only 3 umbral mods has a EHP of ~8370 before warcry, obviously gets higher with warcry and adaptation.

could make her ripline be a passive trait she can use in hysteria at no energy cost and make the pull animation alot faster. 

her 1 could then be turned into a trap or magnet based ability. Could even set it to be a marking ability on all enemies hit by her claws or another form of melee will be homed in on via the ripline while she's in hysteria. If she uses it in hysteria she could snap them all onto her for a group finisher. Marking fits the cat theme just fine since they do that by rubbing their cheeks on you.

her 3 could stay the same but give it armor stripping and if used on enemies marked by her 1 could set them up to take slash procs next time she hits them. If you've ever seen a felyne sunder metal it's terrifying but so damn cool. 

Il y a 14 heures, Synpai a dit :

I have heavy questions where "random" fits into this ability.

IF you take X damage then it STUNS by expending a single charge out of the total, but all charges can be expelled manually by recasting.

TBH Operator is the new Black. There are many ways to get shield back, but I added note that stunning enemies could add to shield count; equally I don't believe Paralysis currently uses shields to cast instead it uses shields to DAMAGE, if I remember correctly.

She's only briefly invulnerable with this version of Hysteria, so not sure where the last point comes into play.

Hysteria makes you immune to all CC, as does a good chunk of melee actions.

Chroma....that's not correlation. Chroma has issues in design that are too far to list primarily leaning around: His gameplay is ONLY two buffs, not that he has two buffs.

I mentioned health cost because someone talked about that.

Random because one wouldn't be able to choose when charges are spent since all depends upon enemies ability to deplete it AND it wouldn't deplete while being under hysteria invul effect. So that's just some terrible idea. Plus charges is a pain to handle especially for console players since playing from your sofa won't help with that.

Operator isn't the new black, nothing has to rely upon external abilities to make terrible ideas viable. That's what DE did with Hyldrin and it's too much of a waste. If a whole kit isn't viable alone, it's not viable at all.

Benig invulnerable is part of Valkyr gameplay design wise, not much permanent but still relevant so i wouldn't change that. Being immune top grab isn't useless for the reason mentioned, it's not meant to be permanent and since she's agile it fits the character. Your version tbh is highly complicated for really poor results and doesn't synergize well with her whole kit as opposed to Valkyr current kit. You're also making her worthless against boss since she wouldn't kill a thing and are relying upon combos that are soon removed from the game...

She's now complicated and i don't see much a funnier gameplay than currently epecially if you bring some Chroma's extreme boredom to your formula - i don't think your Valkyr would be funnier than him sadly.

I don't mind tweaks or anything but you try to change a whole frame that aren't that bad and synergize quite well. Sure she has some issues but i don't think your version is better at all. But that's only my opinion, and i wouldn't try to rework DE's job entirely especially design wise cause most players don't have a clue about things are designed.

Edited by 000l000

2 hours ago, NoLazyShadow said:

Now that's a good idea. Hysterya drain health, but you'll get health back for kiling

Well i meant get health back by the lifesteal it already has, thus why i said Offense Heal while the video has the Deadly Heal chip (and the base drain being minimal, instead scaling up as you store damage punishing you for facetanking damage without fighting things to lifesteal the stored damage away).

22 hours ago, 000l000 said:

Random because one wouldn't be able to choose when charges are spent since all depends upon enemies ability to deplete it AND it wouldn't deplete while being under hysteria invul effect.

No where was it stated that invulnerability means that the charges can't still be depleated. There are many examples of this ability mechanic: Warding Halo or Iron Skin.

Design takes a lot of input, to say "Don't try, you can't know better than X" is not constructive. If we dont try or talk about our ideas then things won't grow. My ideas aren't for everyone, nor are they perfect. They're an ever growing and evolving thing, that's why the forums are here. The rest I will leave up to your opinion and you are welcomed to it.

il y a 1 minute, Synpai a dit :

No where was it stated that invulnerability means that the charges can't still be depleated. There are many examples of this ability mechanic: Warding Halo or Iron Skin.

Design takes a lot of input, to say "Don't try, you can't know better than X" is not constructive. If we dont try or talk about our ideas then things won't grow. My ideas aren't for everyone, nor are they perfect. They're an ever growing and evolving thing, that's why the forums are here. The rest I will leave up to your opinion and you are welcomed to it.

Invulnerability has nothing to do with Warding halo nor Iron skin. Good luck depleting anything while being immune to anything in the entire game.

Now if you don't want to hear other opinions THAT is not constructive cause as far as i'm concerned i tried to bring some arguments.

2 minutes ago, 000l000 said:

Invulnerability has nothing to do with Warding halo nor Iron skin. Good luck depleting anything while being immune to anything in the entire game.

Now if you don't want to hear other opinions THAT is not constructive cause as far as i'm concerned i tried to bring some arguments.

They are technically invulnerable while those skills are active. It's clear that code wise, gameplay wise, one can be invulnerable and have damage be counted....Hysteria does that currently...it keeps track of the damage you're negating.

You're misunderstanding, I am fine with others opinions and critique but some of those comments are not that and are a tad aggressive, I've already stated how I've felt about what you've replied and we've disagreed. That is fine. I've heard you and you me. The point isnt to convince one another so much as to discuss.

22 hours ago, 000l000 said:

Operator isn't the new black, nothing has to rely upon external abilities to make terrible ideas viable. That's what DE did with Hyldrin and it's too much of a waste. If a whole kit isn't viable alone, it's not viable at all.

Benig invulnerable is part of Valkyr gameplay design wise, not much permanent but still relevant so i wouldn't change that. Being immune top grab isn't useless for the reason mentioned, it's not meant to be permanent and since she's agile it fits the character. Your version tbh is highly complicated for really poor results and doesn't synergize well with her whole kit as opposed to Valkyr current kit. You're also making her worthless against boss since she wouldn't kill a thing and are relying upon combos that are soon removed from the game...

I will reiterate that her invulnerability, which you state to be core to her gameplay, isnt gone, it just has risk and diminishing returns. A grab for Valkyr is frustrating, so IMO handspring/recovery time should affect things like that if they don't already, but hardly a death sentence with current umbral adaptation builds unless against irrelevantly leveled enemies. It's fine that you feel as you do, my ideas are far from perfect and not for everyone, but I put them out there and am growing them.

23 hours ago, Kylskapskast said:

Personally the abilities I'd like to see changed are Ripline and paralysis, having them consolidated into a movement + knockdown would work wonders since you retain the good parts about both abilities. The situational mobility from ripline and opening up enemies to finishers from paralysis (though its something I extremely rarely use). Having them consolidated into one ability would free up the 3rd for something interesting to enhance her kit in general. Changing warcry to work of total armor and not base armor would be a nice boost to survivability I would highly welcome, feels very odd it doesn't already do it imo.

As for your suggestions, I love the warcry changes but I'm not that sold on hysteria changes. As for ripline + paralysis it seems nice but I'd rather keep the mobility form ripline even though as much of a gimmick it is currently, though for me its certainly a big breath of fresh air regardless and would welcome any real changes to her 1 and 3.

Just personally not a fan of finishers currently, that could change with melee 3.0, but a finisher means that I'm not clearing everything in my wake for a good 2 seconds XD. Instead of that one enemy I could have killed all within ~15m. Just a personal preference, if you like the feel of finishers, I understand. This design was about enhancing melee play with an emphasis on claws, I feel there are other frames like Atlas, Garuda who are closer to full on melee caster style.

Total armor could work, but with the DR on Hysteria...she's kinda unkillable as is with the Umbral adaptation builds, but not against it.

Hmmm what about Hysteria?

Also in terms of ripline..... read the quote below not sure if you missed it or you're saying you prefer original ripline over, which is fine.

On 2019-04-16 at 11:46 PM, Gnohme said:

On the first ability replacement: dispatch overdrive is already a thing, and it works almost too well tbh. I want more ways to move that don't involve some sort of arbitrary combo counter or specific circumstantial kill (example: dispatch over drive granting speed via channeling kills, the arcane that gives bonus speed via headshots, the one that gives a bonus to speed when you ARE shot) - those things are all fine but we have plenty of them. Where are the abilities that just let me add speed in movement-related ways? Ripline is one of them, what else you got? If yall get them to take ripline out with the reason: "bullet jump exists", then I demand that you remove the artificial skill-ceiling that is velocity resetting on forward facing bullet jumps. For ones that are meant to turn you around that's fine, but if bullet jump is to exist as our only method of directionalizing and elongating our jump arcs, then I'd like for the system to allow for more creativity. I'm a movement guy, I want movement things

If Valkyr recasts over the duration, Provacate performs a Ripline Roll that causes her to furiously impact to target location with a chance to shock and pull nearby enemies. After impact, Valkyr bounces off and rolls in the air (as if under the effects of aim glide allowing her to recast at a lower cost). When "aim glide" duration end or melee occurs, Valkyr stops rolling.

@Gnohme Can I just make sure that you've seen this before I comment? >___>
IMO this is better and more impactful, pun intended, than Ripline. Not fond of how ripline pulls enemies and Sonic memes aside, I think it could be fun to be a rolling cratering pinball of death.

Though I feel just slash damage may be better than the shock

7 hours ago, (PS4)chibitonka said:

valkyr is supposed to be a berserker like frame so maybe give her the option to do group finishers?

There are a few interesting ways to do this, like electrical explosion from the target, but not gonna lie gave Ash AoE finishers in a rework concept I did for him.

Spoiler

I just imagine Valkyr being the "Enhance any melee dps, but especially claws" frame to focus on the combos more so than the finishers. Maybe there's room for some sort of charge attack enhancement (pending melee 3.0 changes).

Edited by Synpai

44 minutes ago, Synpai said:

I just imagine Valkyr being the "Enhance any melee dps, but especially claws" frame to focus on the combos more so than the finishers. Maybe there's room for some sort of charge attack enhancement (pending melee 3.0 changes).

Warcry already is that for her (as attack speed is the best ramp/damage buff overall assuming the stats of the weapon are balanced out/average). As for combos, they need to be keybindable by players first before anything (tho her charge attack really should be the rushdown multihit that instantly goes into a finisher from her charge combo instead of the leg stomp from grim fury).

6 hours ago, Andele3025 said:

Warcry already is that for her (as attack speed is the best ramp/damage buff overall assuming the stats of the weapon are balanced out/average). As for combos, they need to be keybindable by players first before anything (tho her charge attack really should be the rushdown multihit that instantly goes into a finisher from her charge combo instead of the leg stomp from grim fury).

I know Warcry does, but I mean buffing in multiple avenues much like the added speed and pull, I find it hard to hit wth a lot of lower ranged weapons like sparring with so much attack speed.

tbh aoe finishers doesn't really sit well with a frame based on pretty much everything ninja. If anything his bladestorm needs to be tweaked so he could hold place as multiple target finishers. 

Aoe finisher with her riplines as a passive skill and paralysis becoming a magnet like ability with the finisher setup still present. Railing the enemy with her claws as it digs deeper into other enemies via a bloodlust debuff or something to compliment her warcry. Locking them in place on the floor as she pierces the floor erupting it with riplines and explosive brute force as it does finisher damage onto all enemies caught in her paralysis. Just jabbing them in the neck or something. 

or something like that idk xD

1 hour ago, Synpai said:

I know Warcry does, but I mean buffing in multiple avenues much like the added speed and pull, I find it hard to hit wth a lot of lower ranged weapons like sparring with so much attack speed.

Im not sure why unless you mean the inherent issue of short range weapons (them being short range and needing to use the auto lockon instead of free melee). Hell Brutal Tide becomes actually usable/doesnt feel bad anymore once you breach around 3.2 attack speed.

On ‎2019‎-‎04‎-‎18 at 6:42 AM, Synpai said:

Also in terms of ripline..... read the quote below not sure if you missed it or you're saying you prefer original ripline over, which is fine.

I must confess, I missed that part about provocate. As for finishers I do hate then myself, getting stuck in the finisher animation with exodia hunt always annoys me, only suggested it because I know some people do like the aspect of opening up enemies for finishers and keeping that part would at least keep them happy.

I do like the changes you propose outside of some hysteria changes and the passive immunity change and paralysis. Not getting the heal off hysteria without killing would force me into operator to heal for stuff like wolf of Saturn six and similar, otherwise I do like the changes you propose to it. Then the claw changes I'm personally not a huge fan of but maybe with the bonuses frames are getting with signature weapons maybe the venka could get a bonus with valk to satisfy that part a bit. The full melee 3.0 might make claws bearable to use as well.

For paralysis, even with the changes you suggested I feel like having a ability based on shields for a frame like Valkyr that's armor/hp based doesn't make much sense to me, with armor not even working for shield damage I feel that aspect needs to change. For most higher level missions I find myself rarely having any shields at all unless there's a lull in the fight where they have time to recharge, even then the extra survivability they provide is minimal. Keeping the extra melee damage and slow but rethinking the shield aspect sounds a lot more appealing to me.

Edited by Kylskapskast
Fleshed out my reasoning a bit

On 2019-04-19 at 6:00 AM, Kylskapskast said:

I must confess, I missed that part about provocate. As for finishers I do hate then myself, getting stuck in the finisher animation with exodia hunt always annoys me, only suggested it because I know some people do like the aspect of opening up enemies for finishers and keeping that part would at least keep them happy.

No worries, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page; I concur, exodia hunt + finishers = not a good look.

I do like the changes you propose outside of some hysteria changes and the passive immunity change and paralysis. Not getting the heal off hysteria without killing would force me into operator to heal for stuff like wolf of Saturn six and similar, otherwise I do like the changes you propose to it. Then the claw changes I'm personally not a huge fan of but maybe with the bonuses frames are getting with signature weapons maybe the venka could get a bonus with valk to satisfy that part a bit. The full melee 3.0 might make claws bearable to use as well.

Hmmm, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Again it'll have to wait for melee 3.0, but we have Life Strike, Healing Return, Arcane Grace, and Hunter Recovery already, but I may be bias because I already use my operator (and basically anything else) to heal when I need to and swing my heavy blade like a blender otherwise. 

To clarify, I'm not really disagreeing, I think it's something worth looking into though, I just felt heal on damage as per usual might have been a bit too strong against everything that's not the Wolf or the Juggernaut with the flat DR on top of her armor and even less death with her passive; likely something that would be solidified through tests.

The claw changes were more to add bonuses while Hysteria is active, but it doesn't rely ONLY on Hysteria, should people choose to build around another claw weapon they still satisfy the bonus. Basically giving her bonuses intrinsic to the kit, by hitting 4 and feeling a bit stronger all around beyond just exalted or sacrificing the range of other weapons for more consistent strength before using Hysteria.

It may even be worth slightly increasing Hysteria's base range while other claws are equipped too. Tough, wanting her to be enticed into using "Signature class" and get bonuses with Hysteria, but don't want Exalted 1.0 dependencies by only allowing the bonus with one weapon or too impactful buffs that people feel they NEEED claws.

For paralysis, even with the changes you suggested I feel like having a ability based on shields for a frame like Valkyr that's armor/hp based doesn't make much sense to me, with armor not even working for shield damage I feel that aspect needs to change. For most higher level missions I find myself rarely having any shields at all unless there's a lull in the fight where they have time to recharge, even then the extra survivability they provide is minimal. Keeping the extra melee damage and slow but rethinking the shield aspect sounds a lot more appealing to me.

It may just be better to have her sacrifice total shields rather than current.
But if shield gating eventually gets rolled out to all frames (which seems to be the intent) that could change.