The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Necro

Izeck

The upcoming Warframe as we all know is called Necro. I really hope that the name is not permanent. Necro as a name is such a cheesy thing. All the other Warframe have names this represent who they are, not a cheesy abbreviation of what their abilities/class is.

By this logic Rhino is an unstoppable warrior, should he have been named War?

Ember would be Flames?

Volt, Electro?

... etc.

Please DE, DON'T name this new Warframe Necro.

Edited by Izeck

The upcoming Warframe as we all know is called Necro. I really hope that the name is not permanent. Necro as a name is such a cheesy thing. All the other Warframe have names this represent who they are, not a cheesy abbreviation of what their abilities/class is.

Ember would be Flames?

Volt, Electro?

... etc.

They said during the Livestream that it is called Necro for now. It is the project name. Presumably U10 will be here somewhere between the 14th and the 28th of September. It is likely that they will select a post-release name some time between now and the launch of U10, or possibly they might do a Design Council contribution poll to decide the final name again. They didn't say that Necro is going to be the name, they just call it that because Necro is the shortened form of the Warframe's theme.

If I recall, the two most commonly liked names for Necro were Charon and Legion.

You forgot Thanatos, which I've seen more than a few suggestions for.

I don't think Legion was that popular, and having seen his abilities, we'd only be naming him after his ult.

Charon refers to the river Charon, which is a mythological locale where the souls of the dead would be ferried to the underworld.

Actually it refers to the Ferryman of the Dead in Greek mythology. The river you're thinking of is Acheron, one of the ones he operates on.

Charon is also a mission on Pluto, so I doubt they'll go that route.

Ember would be Flames?

Volt, Electro?

... etc.

Opinions. I love them. I say make it Necro because I like that name.

Lich. He needs to be called Lich. Like every name so far, with the notable and singular exception of Loki, it is not a specific character. It is a generic name. It is short and succinct, and easy to remember. And it fits him and his abilities excellently.

I've seen Charon and Thanatos tossed around quite a bit, and while those are good names, they likely won't name another warframe after a specific character. It ties the characters together too much, and robs the frame of it's own identity, to some degree. While tying this new frame to Charon's mythology appeals to me, I feel that Charon and Thanatos would be better as alternate helmet names, similarly to how Pendragon (commonly a reference to King Arthur) is already an alternate helmet.

Lich. He needs to be called Lich. 

Why? A lich drains the life from it's enemies, and the only ability Necro had that did that was removed. Yes, Lichs can raise dead, but so can NECROmancers, and it's more of a staple of the Necromancer.

'Skele'

As in the skele-mancer from Diablo 2 which everyone seems to STILL think this will be.

But Necro is hardly skeletal.

You forgot Thanatos

That sounds even more stupidly sci-fi than Necro.

If I recall, the two most commonly liked names for Necro were Charon and Legion.

Legion I don't mind, as it almost directly relates to Necro's abilities, but since that's unlikely...

And also, Charon is the boatman of the damned, what does that have to do with Necro, apart from the "dead" part.

Dan.

This.

Ember would be Flames?

Volt, Electro?

... etc.

What's cheesy about Necro, never heard it as a name for anything before, nor anything like it.

So you want to make Necro... not cheesy?

So... what. Corpse? Or not.

What do you have in mind?

Sorry to take a dump all over your ideas, but I feel I see flaws in most of these.

I feel like I'm going to be attacked.

Edited by EganMC

Call it 'Fred'

I kind of like Skele since everyone assumes it will be a necromancer like the guy from Diablo 2. Raising a horde of skeletons was fun in that game. And since people assume this one is magic, well... Who cares?

Fred makes about as much sense as a necromancer in a warframe.

I kind of like Skele since everyone assumes it will be a necromancer like the guy from Diablo 2. Raising a horde of skeletons was fun in that game.

While I have to concur that skeleton hordes were great in Diablo 2, I have to point out that since Necro's ability discussion and list is up and two of his abilities do indeed hark back to the D2 Necromancer, there would seem to be very little assumption involved.

Fred makes about as much sense as a necromancer in a warframe.

But a necromancer in warframe, at least of the style they have thus far presented, DOES make some sense. The technocyte plague, or manipulation thereof, could explain many of his death-related abilities, even the reanimation of deceased enemies.

Why? A lich drains the life from it's enemies, and the only ability Necro had that did that was removed. Yes, Lichs can raise dead, but so can NECROmancers, and it's more of a staple of the Necromancer.

I'm not sure where you're getting your lore, but that's not all a lich can do. A lich in most mythologies can do anything any other magic user can. The sole distinction being a lich brings is that of immortality and an affinity for death, due to their undead or near-undead state and the fact that in most cases, their soul is held in a phylactery. Treating a Lich and a Necromancer like two different entities, as you have, is a mistake.

Regardless, the idea of him being named Lich is not solely ability-based. His death-related abilities do indeed hark back to lichdom, but so does their likely source--manipulation of the technocyte plague. And similar to how a Lich is a pariah amongst the living, a Tenno who wandered into the realm of the TP would likely be treated quite cautiously by his fellows. You need only listen to the Lotus on an Infestation Extermation mission, or many of her other infestation-related comments, to begin to get an impression of how they see the infestation, a direct result of the aforementioned plague.

No matter the angle you approach it from--lore, mechanics, or even linguistic--Lich just fits.