Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

You Know Warframe Has Done Something Incredibly Right...

isJBsi

Il y a 15 heures, (PS4)Cargan2016 a dit :

exactly De has been a pioneer into the way they took this into gaming community.  while all other developers are sitting around going me me me how will this tricking those suckers into supporting me.  De has been out there going lets go out there give them a high-quality game they want to play and just cross our fingers and hope they like it well enough to help us out.  and made a game that makes us want to buy platinum and packs to support them not the heavy fisted your gonna give us your money or else most other games take. it will take several years yet before any one changes thier thinking enough to really approach DE's willingness to support playerbase's ideas and requests untill then they wont need to worry about any real direct competion even with immitation games like Anthem

It is true tho that this doesn't hold up forever. I mean, I'm as much of a warframe fan as the next guy, in fact it's the only game i regularly play, but now that the founding phase is done DE meeds to find a specific drive. This game is a lovely sprawling mess of concepts and modes, they really need someone competent to sit down, draft a long term plan and give them a direction. Otherwise it'll just be bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger to the point of collapse. 

This game suffers from the rule of cool syndrome where basically everything is added cause it's cool. It works because DE is actually very good at doong their job, but in the long run it can't sustain a project as massive as Warframe is now. 

You see it all the time, DE underestimates massively what their game has become, with malfunctioning twitch drops, crashing servers due to huge incoming traffic etc. 

I'll still play this lovely game to death because it's Warframe, but this is becoming more and more of a necessity the longer we go on, to give more satisfying experoences to everyone AND to assure this game a longer and healthier lifespan. 

Peace out. 

20 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

It is true tho that this doesn't hold up forever. I mean, I'm as much of a warframe fan as the next guy, in fact it's the only game i regularly play, but now that the founding phase is done DE meeds to find a specific drive. This game is a lovely sprawling mess of concepts and modes, they really need someone competent to sit down, draft a long term plan and give them a direction. Otherwise it'll just be bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger to the point of collapse. 

This game suffers from the rule of cool syndrome where basically everything is added cause it's cool. It works because DE is actually very good at doong their job, but in the long run it can't sustain a project as massive as Warframe is now. 

You see it all the time, DE underestimates massively what their game has become, with malfunctioning twitch drops, crashing servers due to huge incoming traffic etc. 

I'll still play this lovely game to death because it's Warframe, but this is becoming more and more of a necessity the longer we go on, to give more satisfying experoences to everyone AND to assure this game a longer and healthier lifespan. 

Peace out. 

I think they are aware of this.

As they said in a recent dev stream, Warframe was originally a game created quickly & cheaply to help get DE out of a financial hole. Now its become so successful, they are thinking about ways to enable it to sustain the player base it has accumulated. For example, instead of players hosting missions, they are now thinking about having a large central server that can host games, so our gaming experience is no longer dependent on other people's network connections.

I don't think they are "massively underestimating" what their game has become. I think perhaps they've been a bit overwhelmed by how much its grown, plus the way it was originally conceived has put some technological limitations on what they can do. In order to create a more capable platform that can handle the increased content, player activity etc. they'll need to make some pretty fundamental changes to how the game works...which as we know from their content creation, is likely to take a while.

That said, I won't disagree that DE need to start addressing these issues ASAP. After all, its no good having a brilliant game, if people are unable to play it.

Content-wise, Steve also admitted that they've been taking risks and doing "wacky" stuff since the beginning, basically going with their gut feeling about what would work and what wouldn't (with feedback from players). I think the game has developed enough now that they ought to be able to just build on what they've got & develop the story, missions etc. in a coherent way.

à l’instant, FlusteredFerret a dit :

1) I think they are aware of this.

2) I don't think they are "massively underestimating" what their game has become. I think perhaps they've been a bit overwhelmed by how much its grown, plus the way it was originally conceived has put some technological limitations on what they can do. In order to create a more capable platform that can handle the increased content, player activity etc. they'll need to make some pretty fundamental changes to how the game works...which as we know from their content creation, is likely to take a while.

3) That said, I won't disagree that DE need to start addressing these issues ASAP. After all, its no good having a brilliant game, if people are unable to play it.

4) Content-wise, Steve also admitted that they've been taking risks and doing "wacky" stuff since the beginning, basically going with their gut feeling about what would work and what wouldn't (with feedback from players). I think the game has developed enough now that they ought to be able to just build on what they've got & develop the story, missions etc. in a coherent way.

1) I sure hope they do. Looks like they do, even. I just hope they start working on it sooner rather than later. 

2) That's not what i meant tho. I think i explained it very poorly because the examples i gave where the wrong ones. It's not about infrastructure, it's about design principles. You need your cards played right to hook and keep such a large base of customers. It's about giving users a satisfying experience whenever they choose to spend time and/or money on your product. So polishing systems that are unpolished or underused, working with proper enemy desing etc. 

3) QFT

4) Again, QFT. We got enough subsystems now to sustain a whole franchise, now it's time to build vertically instead of spreading horizontally, both by fixkng the foundations and by improving upon existing models. 

7 hours ago, Zeclem said:

you define how big a studio is from their budget. de has a quite massive budget for the single game they got. 

and 300 isnt tiny at all for a single game. 

exactly even for major AAA games your lucky to have 150 people on a single project.  So considering DE has more than that and only thing they are working on is Warframe and features they got most AAA developers beat in terms of size because they are not broken up working on 100 different projects that have no tie to eachother

23 hours ago, Corvid said:

Since when? Last I checked, finances weren't the deciding factor for how large a studio is.

it is.

Citation Needed.

Yes, it is, for a game of this scope. Most of the studios producing games like Destiny and Anthem are closer to 1000 employees.

i'll need citation on yours too. most triple a titles dont have 300 working just on one game. again. ONE game. not a whole franchise, which destiny is. 

DE are small, but they've managed to figure out a way to punch above their metaphorical weight.

they arent small at all tho. 

Edited by Zeclem

4 hours ago, Zeclem said:

it is.

i'll need citation on yours too. most triple a titles dont have 300 working just on one game. again. ONE game. not a whole franchise, which destiny is. 

they arent small at all tho. 

In terms of staff they are tiny, compared to major developers.

According to Wikipedia (yeah, not always the most reliable source, I know) they only have 170 employees. DE's own site puts the figure at "just over 200". Now if you figure maybe just over half are actual development staff...even call it a round 100, with the rest being admin, management, finance or other roles...that isn't a hell of a lot by any stretch of the imagination.

Also DE aren't "just working on one game" either.

They recently helped n-Space with the Sword Coast Legends game and are currently developing Survived By. Those are just the ones we know about. However you cut it, their staff can get stretched pretty thin at times, depending on their other commitments at any given time.

Also remember they are not just developing for 1 platform but 3 (4 if you count Nintendo Switch).

Having large financial resources (if indeed they do) only helps if you recruit more staff, to help increase your productivity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Extremes

https://www.digitalextremes.com/about

On 2018-10-30 at 1:08 PM, FlusteredFerret said:

For example, instead of players hosting missions, they are now thinking about having a large central server that can host games, so our gaming experience is no longer dependent on other people's network connections.

My god, PLEASE DE, do it.

On 2018-10-30 at 6:08 PM, FlusteredFerret said:

That said, I won't disagree that DE need to start addressing these issues ASAP. After all, its no good having a brilliant game, if people are unable to play it.

Nice joke.

This game feels good killing and trashing enemies and the "cool effect" explained above; the rest of the game is... really bad.

I think many people should stop be a "i am the best WF fan" and experiment deeply other games.

Deeply means game mechanics, balance, game scaling etc.

^

After this you will realize how many "-" minuses WF has. A lot of them and DE are not fixing them, they work around them changing the feeling of them.

26 minutes ago, Zari2015 said:

Nice joke.

This game feels good killing and trashing enemies and the "cool effect" explained above; the rest of the game is... really bad.

I think many people should stop be a "i am the best WF fan" and experiment deeply other games.

^

After this you will realize how many "-" minuses WF has. A lot of them and DE are not fixing them, they work around them changing the feeling of them.

It wasn't a joke...and FYI I was generalising...not speaking about Warframe specifically.

Personally I haven't encountered many issues while playing. Also, I'm not at the veteran stage where I can complain that it isn't challenging enough...maybe I'll get there one day.

I also think many people need to realise Warframe is pretty unique, as far as F2P MMO games go and that it isn't going to be like other games, so they need to alter their expectations.

And yes I do play other MMO games that have both PvP and PvE modes, so I do have some previous experience to make a comparison.

No-one's trying to suck up to DE or be the #1 Warframe fan. Some of us are just smart enough to realise WF is a different game and that DE work a different way to most other developers. Not saying its perfect or that DE can do no wrong...just that the situation is what it is and whining about it isn't going to change things.

Il y a 2 heures, Zari2015 a dit :

Nice joke.

^

im with you but on the "nice joke" comment, i think the dude meant that this game has a lot of promise, and it does, if all ths systems in this game were to actually work together, and an endgame existed this would be a brilliant game, however DE just keep piling up pieces for the puzzle, without any intent to actually build the puzzle, and now they add open world, its like they started a fresh new puzzle, without ever finishing the first one, this feels like dealing with one of those short attention span kids, DE its a short attention span studio you could say.

il y a une heure, FlusteredFerret a dit :

It wasn't a joke...and FYI I was generalising...not speaking about Warframe specifically.

Personally I haven't encountered many issues while playing. Also, I'm not at the veteran stage where I can complain that it isn't challenging enough...maybe I'll get there one day.

I also think many people need to realise Warframe is pretty unique, as far as F2P MMO games go and that it isn't going to be like other games, so they need to alter their expectations.

And yes I do play other MMO games that have both PvP and PvE modes, so I do have some previous experience to make a comparison.

No-one's trying to suck up to DE or be the #1 Warframe fan. Some of us are just smart enough to realise WF is a different game and that DE work a different way to most other developers. Not saying its perfect or that DE can do no wrong...just that the situation is what it is and whining about it isn't going to change things.

just wanted to point out warframe its not an MMO, your point stands, just clarifying lol.

i have to correct you there, "whining about it isnt going to change things" its dumb logic and actually wrong, if anything forces the developers to change things its the people "whining".

Edited by Lisztomaniac

3 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

"major developers" like blizzard who has about the same if not less on overwatch? 

According to Wikipedia (yeah, not always the most reliable source, I know) they only have 170 employees. DE's own site puts the figure at "just over 200". Now if you figure maybe just over half are actual development staff...even call it a round 100, with the rest being admin, management, finance or other roles...that isn't a hell of a lot by any stretch of the imagination.

de's own site puts it around 300, not 200.

They recently helped n-Space with the Sword Coast Legends game and are currently developing Survived By. Those are just the ones we know about. However you cut it, their staff can get stretched pretty thin at times, depending on their other commitments at any given time.

survived by is a game that can be made by 2 people at worst. and how much they "helped"? so yes, they are working on only one real game. and idc about games that they did not announce to public, for that goes for other studios too.

Also remember they are not just developing for 1 platform but 3 (4 if you count Nintendo Switch).

making ports arent "developing".

Having large financial resources (if indeed they do) only helps if you recruit more staff, to help increase your productivity.

actually no. having a larger budget means your employees got better resources to work with as well. 

On 2018-10-29 at 9:09 AM, Toppien said:

idk, for what ive seen, Anthem is doing a better job with verticality (mostly cuz they have integrated archwing/sharkwing) in maps,they are doing like the orokin treasure obstacle rooms, but everywhere, while warframe's maps are starting to feel really outdated, tiny and empty and you cant explore underwater as much, also Anthem seems to be doing better boss fights, cuz lets face it, boss fights in warframe feels like killing an elite grunt, instead of having an epic battle with an all powerfull boss

they just made their own version of valkyr, excal, volt and rhino, all with titania's 4 mobility

also this

Hide contents

https://i.imgur.com/9gXh6cJ.png

its basicaly the blizzard formula; take a hidden jewel ideas, refine them, make it all AAA = profit

step up your game DE, the time has come where you guys are starting to face real direct competition

So the end IS near.

Hm

DE has got something very special going on here - lets hope they will keep it and stay independent. 👍 👍

EA is a greedy anti-consumer game development eating studio with no heart and soul - DE is a pro-consumer game development studio with lots of heart and soul. 😀😁

I would choose DE over EA forever and ever! 

16 hours ago, Zeclem said:

"major developers" like blizzard who has about the same if not less on overwatch? 

de's own site puts it around 300, not 200.

With over 200 of the industry’s most talented artists, designers and programmers, Digital Extremes works hard to make its employees the best they can be by providing a positive, purpose-filled work atmosphere that, in turn, drives creativity, innovation, and passion into our games.

Learn to read. :facepalm: The above is taken directly from DE's website.

survived by is a game that can be made by 2 people at worst. and how much they "helped"? so yes, they are working on only one real game. and idc about games that they did not announce to public, for that goes for other studios too.

making ports arent "developing".

Any game can be made by a single person, if need be. However, its going to take a lot longer than if you had, say, 10 people working on it. Most players' issues with DE are to do with development times. Also porting games to other platforms still takes time...especially when you consider they have to work with those platform's developers / owners, to get the ports approved. Again :facepalm:

actually no. having a larger budget means your employees got better resources to work with as well. 

Thats about the only thing you've got right. Yes, having more money means you can buy better hardware that will help reduce development time. However better hardware isn't the only factor...not by a long shot.

Also, there is still this assumption in the community that DE have "a massive budget" for this game. I've yet to see any evidence of this.

Edited by FlusteredFerret

40 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

With over 200 of the industry’s most talented artists, designers and programmers, Digital Extremes works hard to make its employees the best they can be by providing a positive, purpose-filled work atmosphere that, in turn, drives creativity, innovation, and passion into our games.

Learn to read. :facepalm: The above is taken directly from DE's website.

it was 300 a while ago. guess they changed it. and im pretty sure you wont believe it so whatever.

Any game can be made by a single person, if need be.

this adds nothing to this conversation, cus its simply wrong. you cant make a game like warframe with a single person.

However, its going to take a lot longer than if you had, say, 10 people working on it. Most players' issues with DE are to do with development times.

cus they are doing major updates all the time instead of making bitesized content constantly. yes its an issue. so whats the point here again?

Also porting games to other platforms still takes time...especially when you consider they have to work with those platform's developers / owners, to get the ports approved. Again :facepalm:

and this does nothing to disprove anything that i've said again so learn how to use that emoji. porting takes far less time than making a whole new game. 

Thats about the only thing you've got right.

you mean the only thing you cant blatantly disagree with? thats your problem, not mine. 

Yes, having more money means you can buy better hardware that will help reduce development time. However better hardware isn't the only factor...not by a long shot.

its one of the major ones. 

Also, there is still this assumption in the community that DE have "a massive budget" for this game. I've yet to see any evidence of this.

they do. go check how much money leyou(de's owners) make. and warframe is their flagship product so its foolish to not understand the majority of that is from warframe. and any logical company would use a good portion of how much they made as budget for their product.

21 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Extremes

https://www.digitalextremes.com/about

DE is not developing Survived By, they are publishing it.

And regarding Sword Coast Legends it wasnt very recent, it was several years ago they helped with the development. The game has also been shut down since n-Space also got shut down.

So DE are working on only one game.

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

DE is not developing Survived By, they are publishing it.

And regarding Sword Coast Legends it wasnt very recent, it was several years ago they helped with the development. The game has also been shut down since n-Space also got shut down.

So DE are working on only one game.

So you assume.

Could have sworn some people previously said something along the lines of, "publishers don't necessarily just publish"...

Unless you're privy to inside information, we don't know the full extent of DE's involvement.

23 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

So you assume.

Could have sworn some people previously said something along the lines of, "publishers don't necessarily just publish"...

Unless you're privy to inside information, we don't know the full extent of DE's involvement.

A very simple look on Steam confirms it. And what people ment with "publishers don't necessarily just publish" is that they like to stick their nose in the development in order for it to be SJW etc. or pressure the devs when it comes to time needed compared to actual release dates, or forcing them to include things like lootboxes etc. Like the latest Battlefield that got postponed due to low pre-sales that were a result of EA people forcing SJW S#&$ on the whole thing. Or Battlefront 2 where they forced a lootbox progression system into the game that DICE never wanted. And now the EA crap regarding clinging onto rng boxes in FIFA etc aswell.

And there arent many cases where the publisher is a royal A-hole and forces their ideas on the development. That is mostly a thing reserved for large companies with little to do, thinking they know better because they are big. And we can see how well that went with EA and the Battlefield 5 ruckus. An idiot high up shoving idiotic ideas onto the dev team (likely with threats behind them) which in the end ended up with that idiot leaving EA.

I doubt we will see such a thing with DE.

EA and a few others are the IOI's of the real world where the $ign rules and the passion for games is left in the trash. EA is a special kind of lowlife company few can compare with, DE is on the opposite side of that spectrum. There are people I've seen quit or get layed off from good companies and my thought has been "bet they end up at EA" due to their personal behavior. Shortly after you see their tweets all happy and giddy like a little schoolgirl over their new job at EA.

28 minutes ago, rune_me said:

I'll play Anthem. Looks good so far. That's all.

I wish I could say the same. I just have a very hard time picking up anything that has to do with EA after the stunts they've pulled over the last few years. Not only do they interfear too much with development, the things they do force into the games is just straight up disgusting.

I simply dont want forced politics and diversity shoved in my face when I try to relax and excape the real world. EA has simply gone overboard with these things and try to squeeze it in wherever the hell they can. I'm 99% sure that Anthem will also have pointless diversity shoved into the game just for the sake of diversity and "awareness". It is sickening that it is everywhere these days within entertainment. I think the only situations where I havent felt that it is forced is in situations involving movies like Wonder Woman, Black Panther and the upcoming Captain Marvel. Mostly because these were originally created with passion and not to fill some imaginary diversity holes like you can see in Fant4stic, Spider-Man Homecoming or the new Star Wars trilogy.

I'd be as pissed off to end up with a white Blade or Warmachine as I am seeing a black Johnny Storm or hispanic Flash Thompson and Mary Jane Watson.

23 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

I wish I could say the same. I just have a very hard time picking up anything that has to do with EA after the stunts they've pulled over the last few years. Not only do they interfear too much with development, the things they do force into the games is just straight up disgusting.

I simply dont want forced politics and diversity shoved in my face when I try to relax and excape the real world. EA has simply gone overboard with these things and try to squeeze it in wherever the hell they can. I'm 99% sure that Anthem will also have pointless diversity shoved into the game just for the sake of diversity and "awareness". It is sickening that it is everywhere these days within entertainment. I think the only situations where I havent felt that it is forced is in situations involving movies like Wonder Woman, Black Panther and the upcoming Captain Marvel. Mostly because these were originally created with passion and not to fill some imaginary diversity holes like you can see in Fant4stic, Spider-Man Homecoming or the new Star Wars trilogy.

I'd be as pissed off to end up with a white Blade or Warmachine as I am seeing a black Johnny Storm or hispanic Flash Thompson and Mary Jane Watson.

I couldn't care less what some people pretend is "forced diversity". I just care that the game or movie is good. The Last Jedi wasn't horrible bacsuse of some make-believe "diversity". It was horrible because it was a horrible movie.

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

I couldn't care less what some people pretend is "forced diversity". I just care that the game or movie is good. The Last Jedi wasn't horrible bacsuse of some make-believe "diversity". It was horrible because it was a horrible movie.

The problem these days is that the things often turn out like crap when diversity or SJW elements are the main focus. Out of the movies I mentioned where it is very present only one of them was good, which was Spider-Man. The rest have just been bad due to poor scripts and too much focus on the diversity part. And in Spider-Man it is just thrown in for the sake of flashing it (no pun intended) infront of the audiance. It is just a "hey look at us, we added a hispanic person to the movie!" without it doing anything whatsoever for the story and making fans go *facepalm* "why?".

I'm all for making strong female leads etc. if it actually works and leads to something. Salt is a prime example of that, it is one hell of an agent/spy movie, then you have agents of shield where Robbie gets the focus as Ghost Rider instead of Blaze. Works perfectly well in both cases. Star Wars just feels like the role was written for the sake of having a female lead, just as possibly the new Terminator, a frenchise that already has one of the strongest female leads ever to be seen aside from Ripley and possibly Alice.

For me the big problem is often that when I see a movie where it is just thrown in for the sake of it without adding anything interesting in particular it just nags my mind and ruins the movie/comicbook/tv-show/game. I think it is one of those things the writers and producers should think about. If it adds nothing to the story, dont put it in there just for the sake of it. The Solo movie was brilliant when it came to this. It touched the whole concept of different sexuality and it was implemented in a funny way with Lando and his droid, it actually added something to the Lando character we've known since Empire. It is also a thing brought to light in a good way in the Star Trek movies without taking any focus or flashing it in your face. It is just something that is there if you think about it.

edit: This is also one of those things that makes me cringe whenever someone comes with a suggestion that WF should have an ethnical or LGBT theme to a frame. I just ask myself everytime "do they even know squat about the game and the setting?".

Edited by SneakyErvin

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

The problem these days is that the things often turn out like crap when diversity or SJW elements are the main focus. Out of the movies I mentioned where it is very present only one of them was good, which was Spider-Man. The rest have just been bad due to poor scripts and too much focus on the diversity part. And in Spider-Man it is just thrown in for the sake of flashing it (no pun intended) infront of the audiance. It is just a "hey look at us, we added a hispanic person to the movie!" without it doing anything whatsoever for the story and making fans go *facepalm* "why?".

I'm all for making strong female leads etc. if it actually works and leads to something. Salt is a prime example of that, it is one hell of an agent/spy movie, then you have agents of shield where Robbie gets the focus as Ghost Rider instead of Blaze. Works perfectly well in both cases. Star Wars just feels like the role was written for the sake of having a female lead, just as possibly the new Terminator, a frenchise that already has one of the strongest female leads ever to be seen aside from Ripley and possibly Alice.

For me the big problem is often that when I see a movie where it is just thrown in for the sake of it without adding anything interesting in particular it just nags my mind and ruins the movie/comicbook/tv-show/game. I think it is one of those things the writers and producers should think about. If it adds nothing to the story, dont put it in there just for the sake of it. The Solo movie was brilliant when it came to this. It touched the whole concept of different sexuality and it was implemented in a funny way with Lando and his droid, it actually added something to the Lando character we've known since Empire. It is also a thing brought to light in a good way in the Star Trek movies without taking any focus or flashing it in your face. It is just something that is there if you think about it.

edit: This is also one of those things that makes me cringe whenever someone comes with a suggestion that WF should have an ethnical or LGBT theme to a frame. I just ask myself everytime "do they even know squat about the game and the setting?".

OKay we are going way off topic here. But for me it's not really a problem most of the times. I never had a problem with Rey in Star Wars, because she was a new character so hell, make her be whatever you want.

I don't like it when you suddenly replace an already established character and suddenly makes a man a woman for no apparent reason (Ghostbusters being a fine example of that). Miles Morales was done right, because they didn't ditch regular Spidy, they just made an alternate universe for Miles. But introducing Ironheart and then immediately putting Tony Stark in a coma so she can take over just feels like they're replacing Iron Man. I would much rather have a new original character then, that could be black and female or anything else Marvel wanted her to be. But as long as it's an original IP, it doesn't really bother me, just let the writers/developers come up with whatever they want.