Twin Peaks references in WF - any at all?

evilChair

Twin Peaks is so ubiquitous that by this point I'm expecting nods to it to pop up sooner or later in anything I'm involved with, but so far I've found nothing of the sort in Warframe - not even a throwaway line or even a "wrapped in plastids" kind of quote-gag. Is there any such content at all, or am I waiting on nothing?

Twin Peaks isn't exactly "pop culture" like most things that get references, "nods" or Easter eggs in gaming. The rather recent 3rd season is so, so weird and obscure that I doubt anyone would be willing to make references based on it. The older seasons are decades old, so there isn't any recent material that people would remember about them.

11 minutes ago, Sageis said:

So its less "ubiquitous" and more "OP likes this thing and so assumes everyone does"?

i mean, i don't live in the us and over here twin peaks has had a mainstream following ever since it was first shown, so i assumed that was true for its home audience too.

I do not even know if Twin Peaks has been shown where I live (excluding Netflix and similar). Never heard of it at all. It seems like adding nods to this would be fairly pointless for DE. Most people do not seem to know what it is/have enough interest to justify it.

To say that Twin Peaks isn't ubiquitous would be wrong. Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean you haven't felt its impact. Without Twin Peaks, you'd have no X-files, no Desperate Housewives, no Bates Hotel, no Lost, no Veronica Mars, etc. It's influences really do run deep.

It's like Dough Stanhope in comedy. Lots of people has never heard of him, but he's probably your favorite comedian's favorite comedian, so you catch his influence through others even if you never saw one of his shows yourself. Twin Peaks is like that. Even if you never saw it or heard of it, you have absolutely been exposed to its influences.

Edited by rune_me

2 hours ago, rune_me said:

To say that Twin Peaks isn't ubiquitous would be wrong.

ubiquitous adjective
ubiq· ui· tous | \yü-ˈbi-kwə-təs  \
Definition of ubiquitous 
: existing or being everywhere at the same time : constantly encountered : 

No, judging by Merriam-Webster, as I am not constantly encountering Twin Peaks references (and since until this thread I only knew of it as a sports bar...) I would say, it is NOT ubiquitous. While other things may be based on, or referential to the show they are not the show. 

It's like your grandfather. You are not him, but you exist. You may exist through him, as that his actions set in motion a series of events that lead to your existence, but you are not your own grandfather (I hope). By the same reasoning, even if I watched X-Files, that does not mean by the fact of that experience I have also encountered/watched Twin Peaks. After all, having met one person you have not by default also met that person parents and grandparents. 

So to hammer home the point, so I do not have to come back and explain English. By definition, something is ubiquitous if it exists everywhere at the same time, or is constantly encountered. Testing this against Twin Peaks, I have opened a can of Dr Pepper, as Twin Peaks is not in my Dr Pepper it fails the first definition of ubiquitous. Testing the second definition, that something ubiquitous is constantly encountered. While I have experienced things that have apparently been influenced or inspired by Twin Peaks prior to this thread I was unaware of its existence, and in the days since this thread had started I have not encountered anything Twin Peaks related except for this thread I would say that it fails the second definition as well. 

Therefore:
Twin Peaks ≠ Existing or being everywhere at the same time
or
Twin Peaks  Constantly encountered
It is thus that
Twin Peaks ≠ Ubiquitous

Having put THAT part of this to bed hopefully...to answer the initial question posed by the OP, I have not seen any Twin Peaks references added to the game but I am not experienced enough with the subject to recognize or identify them if they do exist. Beyond that, I do not expect them to add a direct reference, most of the references that are added are directly created by the community such as Clem, or memes of such virulent repetition that they infiltrate and infect across all mediums though subconscious transmission. That being said I am indifferent to the idea of such a reference being added to the game as I would experience no pleasure or other emotional rewards from its existence, and at the same time am unlikely to experience any detrimental effects from the existence of such a reference. 

3 minutes ago, Sageis said:

No, judging by Merriam-Webster, as I am not constantly encountering Twin Peaks references (and since until this thread I only knew of it as a sports bar...) I would say, it is NOT ubiquitous. While other things may be based on, or referential to the show they are not the show. 

You missed the last and most description from Merriam-Webster:

existing or being everywhere at the same time : constantly encountered : WIDESPREAD

Widespread. Doesn't mean it has to be in your Dr. Pepper. Just means it has to be in lots of places.

Other words that are synonymous with ubiquitous (still from Merriam-Webster): common, commonplace, everyday, familiar, frequent, garden-variety, household, ordinary, quotidian, routine, usual

Il y a 3 heures, rune_me a dit :

To say that Twin Peaks isn't ubiquitous would be wrong. Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean you haven't felt its impact. Without Twin Peaks, you'd have no X-files, no Desperate Housewives, no Bates Hotel, no Lost, no Veronica Mars, etc. It's influences really do run deep.

I haven't watched any of these, ever. I don't even remember what they're about and I'm pretty sure I've ever met anybody who knows anything else than the X-files theme song. 

I don't see any reason to have references to those things in the game. Actualy, I don't see any reason to have references of TV shows in a video game, even if they were a trend at some point. We don't have How I met your mother / Vikings / Star Strek / Game of Thrones / Stargate / etc. references in any game afaik, even if those were very popular. 

We don't need it and a lot of people wouldn't even know what it's about, so that's a no from me Captain.