Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General_Durandal

Shtonsh is profanity?

I'm making a new Zaw with the Shtung and Kronsh parts,
so I combined the names, Sht from Shtung grip, and onsh from Kronsh, to make Shtonsh.
It sounds like Staunch which means loyal and committed in attitude.

But the games says it's profanity, so it won't let me name it that.

I also tried Shtaunch, but also profanity.

Naming it Shtung, after the in-game grip's name, also counts as profanity.

I think it's from s h and t being right next to each other, meaning it thinks there is an i in there, which there is not.

So i'm going to have to go with Staunch,

I remember some time ago someone wanted to name their Balla zaw "Balla" but got rejected coz "Ball" is profanity. "Ball" is profanity I tell you!

look-at-my-balls-bear.jpg

You may laugh now, but this is simply indisputable evidence of how the profanity filter causes more problems then it fixes.

HANS! Bring me the flammenwerfer, we must BURN THE WITCH!

5 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Shtonsh? Sounds Russian. Maybe it means "go and have sex with your grandmother" or something like that? :tongue:

I thought it sounded like a Cetus take on Staunch.

1 hour ago, Raskolnikow said:

Japan is also in profanity filter XD

because it contains "jap" which is kinda like the N-word but aimed at japanese people.

If I remember correctly it becaume "popular" during WW2

2 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Shtonsh? Sounds Russian. Maybe it means "go and have sex with your grandmother" or something like that? :tongue:

Funny I used ab actual Russian profanity to name my saw it didn' catch it.

6 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

I remember some time ago someone wanted to name their Balla zaw "Balla" but got rejected coz "Ball" is profanity. "Ball" is profanity I tell you!

look-at-my-balls-bear.jpg

Yep that was me. It looks like their stupid filter is still stupid 

I will give their profanity filter some credit. It's in-line, and outside of weapon/config/loadout names, you can turn it off.

I also haven't run into anything like I did on Vindictus, where I couldn't say lunt, but could say lunts (plural). They had  a number of strange bans. You couldn't talk about "position"ing, you had to use "wdf" instead of "wtf", etc. And the really annoying thing is it'd nix your whole message if you included any word it didn't like.

I kinda wonder how much of a boon to your game's "rating" having a profanity filter provides.

1 hour ago, Eirshy said:

And the really annoying thing is it'd nix your whole message if you included any word it didn't like.

Try linking something in-game that "doesn't exist". [Umbra Hooded Scarf] for example. It nixes the whole message. 

How about "Cassowary"... a lovely creature native to north-eastern Australia (among other places). It also happens to be one letter more for the weapon Cassowar... but is somehow profanity which means you can't Entitle the aforementioned weapon to add that "y" on the end.

2 hours ago, KelsierSurvivor said:

Try linking something in-game that "doesn't exist". [Umbra Hooded Scarf] for example. It nixes the whole message. 

Requires you to link something though. I can say "Umbra Hooded Scarf" freely and it won't. That's also not the profanity filter, that's the item linking routine. Does need to be updated to just leave it plain text if it can't link it, but still.

Maybe it looks like it could, if misread in some way,  sound like something someone somewhere might find offensive someday.

One can never be too careful.

So turning of Region chat is not enouth, now i shouldnt even name weapons, maybe getting a ban from that as well...

Anyone remembers the "brain mouse" ? Imagine this thing still is there and its advanced and can read your swearing words, man i bet about more then 50 % of players are banned for lifetime for this.

@Walkampf: Man im slow! Just after longer thinking about what you written there i started laughing very hard! (Mostly for me beeing so slow)

Pretty sure its the sht part, which is a fairly common way of trying to write excrement while getting around censorship-filters. That's my guess, at least.

14 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Now that you mention it, it indeed does sound like Russian. For "Oh well" :clem: