Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Notify us if Nightmare alert

cheliel

This happens more with new players since they are still building their mod collection

But some alerts surprise you into no shields 

That’s like entering arbitration without knowing your getting into a difficult mission

Please have mission specifics in the alert section so the players know what they’re getting into 

tyty and gg, DE

Just now, Kuestenjung said:

OP wants the alerts to be more highlighted as nightmare, how is that sucking the fun out of it?

Certainly it is more challenging, and in my opinion more fun, when I go into a mission and suddenly am not well prepared for it as I expected.

From the perspective of a veteran player, being (surprisingly) poorly prepared for a mission and legitimately having to struggle through it is one of the most fun things this game has to offer. Curveballs are nice and mix it up. If we're talking about not enough information, DE has a long list of things that could be improved before this. You call it an annoyance, I call it a feature.

That’s why I said this is meant for newer folks. I’m running an alt account and can see people getting downed constantly or leaving because surprise, it’s a nightmare mission

Vets won’t really go into energy siphon or armor agility alerts just as much anymore

But yes vets can prolly benefit too, if they go in for the “newly notified” nightmare alert for the challenge, and not for the mods. Nightmare mode made way for unique builds for my damage dealing frames..

Edited by cheliel

I agree and vouch for a little bit of a heads up if the mission is a nightmare alert or not. Yes, I understand that it's a bit of a challenge for veteran players to find out that what is assumed as a regular ole alert is not, but for the newer players, this is disastrous. The only way a player would be able to tell if an alert is a nightmare alert would be to find the node on the star chart and plan accordingly.

2 hours ago, TheStag said:

Certainly it is more challenging, and in my opinion more fun, when I go into a mission and suddenly am not well prepared for it as I expected.

From the perspective of a veteran player, being (surprisingly) poorly prepared for a mission and legitimately having to struggle through it is one of the most fun things this game has to offer. Curveballs are nice and mix it up. If we're talking about not enough information, DE has a long list of things that could be improved before this. You call it an annoyance, I call it a feature.

What "surprise challenge"? The moment a half-competent veteran player sees that it's a dual stat mod on the rewards list, they'd know for a fact it's a nightmare alert.
Instead we have what is basically a newb trap with a twist. AFAIK nothing even tells you that nightmare mode even exists or what it does. XD

And the sad/funny twist is...
Veteran player would know what mission is and what it involves from the reward. They'd have knowledge, skills and gear to do the mission... and zero interest in the rewards 99% of the time. Maybe might do it when bored.
New player would have no idea what nightmare is and how it works. They'd have no knowledge/insufficient skills/poor gear for the mission but full interest in the new shiny reward. Gets rekt by surprise (and seemingly uncalled) difficulty spike. Gets no help from random vets in public, because most of them won't bother doing it.

It's like bad UI design 101. At least mark that alert with a danger sign or something. XD

23 hours ago, TheStag said:

You call it an annoyance, I call it a feature.

Ever think that's why its still an issue? You just write if off as a feature and go about your day instead of doing what this person has done and try to make it right. It would even make it easier for people who farm nightmare missions like myself....instead of looking all over the start chart they would be in a section like alerts, fissures etc. You want to go looking for a fissure threw out your start chart, maybe that invasion that just started?

23 hours ago, TheStag said:

It is a nightmare for a reason. Don't suck the fun out of it!

The mission is still the same and if you know what a nightmare mission is and chances you will after your 1st so what fun are we talking about? The "fun' of being in this game new that has a horrible teaching system and you just randomly get into a mission that now maybe you can't do because well DE doesn't teach you anything....yeah that's fun so much fun it would probably make you quit the game if people weren't so helpful in teaching...

Yup, some tutorial popup when clicking on your first Nightmare Mission with an explanation of what they are and what you can expect would be nice for new players I'm sure.

Probably a good idea for a bunch of other mission types too, hell, maybe do it for everything except Exterminate.

Edited by marelooke

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a veteran player and I don't find this fun or anything, it's just annoying. Most of the time I'm prepared, but when I'm running a new frame I'm leveling up for mastery? It's a chore. I get in and I start getting downed by high damage enemies with no shields.

I see new players running it myself, I just recently ran one with a 1 MR and an 8 MR players and the 1 MR was constantly getting downed while the 8 MR was running and trying to survive. I couldn't even go back to help because I had to run with the only other high MR player there to actually finish the mission as it was Rescue and thus had a lot of dual-console doors.

It's not fun, it's annoying, and for new players it's an unfair power spike that they have no clue exists. They expect to enter a Level 10-15 game, and they do, but they suddenly find they have no shields and the enemies do like 100 damage a shot.

It doesn't even have to be obvious, just a simple note that says "Nightmare" in the menu. Newer players won't get it at first, but they'll figure it out. If it was more obvious it'd be easier but as it is there's nothing.