Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cosmetic Armor is a lost gameplay opportunity

FrostDragoon

As the title says, this could have been a great way to modify small aspects of our warframes with little stat boosts as well as having a greater loot pool to shoot for.

For example, the Dendra Leg Guard...

http://prntscr.com/lccidn

This looks like it could offer 5-10 base shields. It's not a lot by itself, but if you wore both of them with a max Redirection, that could be 88 extra shields. It would add up.

Vetala Ankle Plate, http://prntscr.com/lccj6q

This looks like a capacitor type thing the volt has. It could have added a small amount of base energy, say 10, or energy regen, like 0.1/s. Put these on both arms/legs and run Energy Siphon for 1/s total. Then buff with Zen passive.

You see where I'm going with this? It would have been a great way to customize your frame in small ways for min-maxing purposes or special uses (energy regen on a Roar Rhino, for example). It's a shame they are pointless cosmetics locked behind a paywall instead. And before people try to accuse me of just wanting to be cheap, I've probably spent well over $500 on this game over the 3-4 years I've played it. It's not about the money. I buy palettes, skins, and other cosmetic stuff too. It isn't anything against those either. It's about the fact that these could have been a great gameplay addition instead of just cosmetics.

Small Edit:

I don't mind them being purchasable with plat, but having a way to earn them would be nice. There's plenty of stuff to spend plat on in this game, so I don't buy any "this is how they earn money" nonsense. Most of my plat goes to catalysts, reactors, and forma, if I'm honest. The way to get them in game is too inconsistent and too rare for the amount of stuff I like to do.

Edited by FrostDragoon

2 minutes ago, FrostDragoon said:

As the title says, this could have been a great way to modify small aspects of our warframes with little stat boosts

No... No... and more No...

A player should not be forced to choose status over looks. For said reason [DE] removed the Helmets with Status years ago.

Just now, FrostDragoon said:

It's a shame they are pointless cosmetics locked behind a paywall instead.

And I would much rather have "pointless" cosmetics that I can mix and match to make my frames look good as opposed to your idea, which is pure 100% P2W BS while at the same time ruining fashion.  After all, there will be one best armorset with bonuses, everything else would be pointless to use.
This would utterly kill diversity with everyone always using the same armor because its the best meaning no more just standing out to look different or neat.

I like having the flexibility of being able to choose what I like to use without going "Well this looks cool....but is utterly useless compared to this butt ugly armor set that provides good boosts...."

Its the same reason that DE got rid of arcane helmets.  They ruined the choice of cosmetics by making one that was objectively better meaning that literally everyone used it, which is quite the opposite of the idea of cosmetics.

3 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

That's the exact opposite of cosmetic items. Those are pay-to-win items you're asking for. So, no, thank you!

3 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

No... No... and more No...

A player should not be forced to choose status over looks. For said reason [DE] removed the Helmets with Status years ago.

1 minute ago, Oreades said:

Yeah except then people wouldn't be wearing the armor they liked they would be wearing the armor with the best stats. 

The bonuses he's suggesting are very small so anyone can still use whatever they want while getting a tiny stat boost as a bonus, I don't see a problem here

DE stopped putting Arcane Helmet Blueprints on alerts because they realized how big & important cosmetics became in the game. They never expected it to be as much of a success as it was - so having cosmetics provide stats was out of the question since that extremely limits peoples creativity. You should be able to minmax AND be able to accessorize not one or the other.
Making all armour pieces provide stats would remove something most players enjoy & partake in, cosmetics.

Mods are to modify. Cosmetics are for looks. Combining them is something DE regrets having done in the past and was a massive problem they then solved - going back to the bad system we had in the past is not good.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

The bonuses he's suggesting are very small so anyone can still use whatever they want while getting a tiny stat boost as a bonus, I don't see a problem here

Regardless of how small the stats, adding them to cosmetics that are purely behind a paywall would not go over well.

il y a 1 minute, Rayden_Tenno a dit :

If we’re talking of something like all armor have same stats then yes ofc. If different armor have different stats then no. In that case you’d be forced to play with the most optimized armor for your build.

It's kind of a stretch....but yes, the meta lvl would be behind a paywall.

Edited by angias

I have to laugh at the people who are saying it's "p2w" as if that isn't already super prevalent in the game:

* Buying plat for prime sets, and special variants of things (Vandal, Prisma, Wraith, etc), Primed mods, catalysts, reactors, forma, boosters, rushing things (if people even do that?), etc

* "What" exactly are you winning?

* It doesn't hurt your frames anyway, so you can still put whatever you want on them.

* If you're worried about other people using it to min/max and you don't want to, you don't have to. This "keeping up with the Jones'" attitude is the real problem, and where pretty much all of the naysaying is coming from.

I feel we have a lot of ways to tweak our stats already and DE keeps on adding more over time.

Cosmetics are a way for us to customize our looks and have nothing to do with stats for a reason. None should feel like they have to gimp their character because optimized gear doesn't appeal to them, or to deface their character in order to get the best stats.

2 minutes ago, angias said:

It's kind of a stretch....but yes, the meta lvl would be behind a paywall.

Already is with things like Maiming Strike and Primed Mods with only come out every so many months, so people have to pay hundreds of plat for those mods. It's every bit as p2w (if not more) than what I'm suggesting.

While i like the idea of further adding depth to cosmetics ... as everyone who's referenced Arcane Helmets has pointed out, it's against what DE intends despite how minor the changes can be. Most Cosmetic accessories ARE locked behind a pay wall ... and offering ANY advantage over players who decide not to or cannot pay for said items is against what the players and even what DE wants.

Edited by Errodin

OP clearly doesn't understand why Warframe performs so well as a free to play game in comparison to others. This suggestion, though logical, is a horrible direction that Warframe Devs thankfully were smart enough to stomp out years ago instead of feeding into it. 

Stats on cosmetics is a horrible option. It will never see the light of day again here if DE knows what's good for them. As others have said, it could literally be 10 bonus HP. Armor, Shields, doesn't matter. People will feel forced to use those armor sets to minmax their build. And that never feels good, from an artistic/expressive/creative perspective when it comes to customization.

2 minutes ago, FrostDragoon said:

Buying plat for prime sets, and special variants of things (Vandal, Prisma, Wraith, etc), Primed mods, catalysts, reactors, forma, boosters

1 minute ago, FrostDragoon said:

Already is with things like Maiming Strike

All of those can be farmed, almost all armor sets cannot. That's the difference.

Just now, Errodin said:

While i like the idea of further adding depth to cosmetics ... as everyone who's referenced Arcane Helmets has pointed out, it's against what DE intends despite how minor the changes can be. Most Cosmetic accessories ARE locked behind a pay wall ... and offering ANY advantage over players who decide not to or cannot pay for said item is against what the players and even DE wants.

I said in the OP that it was something which should be chase loot in the pool, but having the option to buy with plat is okay too.