Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cosmetic Armor is a lost gameplay opportunity

FrostDragoon

2 minutes ago, FrostDragoon said:

I have to laugh at the people who are saying it's "p2w" as if that isn't already super prevalent in the game:

* Buying plat for prime sets, and special variants of things (Vandal, Prisma, Wraith, etc), Primed mods, catalysts, reactors, forma, boosters, rushing things (if people even do that?), etc

* "What" exactly are you winning?

* It doesn't hurt your frames anyway, so you can still put whatever you want on them.

* If you're worried about other people using it to min/max and you don't want to, you don't have to. This "keeping up with the Jones'" attitude is the real problem, and where pretty much all of the naysaying is coming from.

Every single thing you say is "pay 2 win" except rushing items can be done without buying plat, or even without earning plat.Primes are farmable, special weapons are buyable from Baro, same with prime mods, both flavors of potato and forma are craftable, and boosters come through the daily system and sorties.

They'd be winning better stats.

It hurts the balancing of the game.

If they can min max and someone else can't because of money, that's an issue.

1 minute ago, angias said:

It would be ok only if they could be earned via gameplay.

Other wise people would pay for bonus stats.

It would still be the same problem we had before though...

Someone would complain that an armor they thoroughly didn't like the look of had a necessary use and an armor they very much liked hindered their gameplay.

Which would, of course, lead to complaints that "premium cosmetics do nothing at all" ... opening the door to P2W complaints if bonuses got added.

Bear in mind, DE tried for a year to just not make new Arcanes and folks still complained because of Looks vs Function vs The Theme on the frame in question.

"XYZ's arcane helmet looks like trash but is so helpful"

"Rhino moves at Loki speed because of the arcane helmet and that's not fair" 

"ABC's helmets offer more function that XYZ's"

1 minute ago, NotDealwithitdog said:

Every single thing you say is "pay 2 win" except rushing items can be done without buying plat, or even without earning plat.Primes are farmable, special weapons are buyable from Baro, same with prime mods, both flavors of potato and forma are craftable, and boosters come through the daily system and sorties.

They'd be winning better stats.

It hurts the balancing of the game.

If they can min max and someone else can't because of money, that's an issue.

You're still not listening, and instead committing a "straw man" fallacy. I said armor should be in the loot pool in the very first post.

1 minute ago, Padre_Akais said:

It would still be the same problem we had before though...

Someone would complain that an armor they thoroughly didn't like the look of had a necessary use and an armor they very much liked hindered their gameplay.

Which would, of course, lead to complaints that "premium cosmetics do nothing at all" ... opening the door to P2W complaints if bonuses got added.

Bear in mind, DE tried for a year to just not make new Arcanes and folks still complained because of Looks vs Function vs The Theme on the frame in question.

"XYZ's arcane helmet looks like trash but is so helpful"

"Rhino moves at Loki speed because of the arcane helmet and that's not fair" 

"ABC's helmets offer more function that XYZ's"

This was a problem because the old arcanes carried big drawbacks. Not the same at all to what I'm suggesting.

Just now, FrostDragoon said:

You're still not listening, and instead committing a "straw man" fallacy. I said armor should be in the loot pool in the very first post.

At that point they're no longer cosmetics. And at that point Fashionframe (which is a massive part of the game and community) will die on the spot because no one will care how it looks if the stats aren't good. No one uses a weapon because they like how it looks. They use it because it has good stats.

Armor should be in the loot pool? You mean cosmetics should be farm-able? Ughhh no, you can boast about spending $500 over 3-4 years ... I've spend that alone this year in cosmetics alone ... the upset would be too great and DE would suffer from a secondary source of income.

Just now, NotDealwithitdog said:

At that point they're no longer cosmetics. And at that point Fashionframe (which is a massive part of the game and community) will die on the spot because no one will care how it looks if the stats aren't good. No one uses a weapon because they like how it looks. They use it because it has good stats.

Fashion Frame is a meme, which is why I described this as a lost opportunity. I know they aren't going to change it now, but it was a mistake to not have armor be "armor" from the beginning.

1 minute ago, Errodin said:

Armor should be in the loot pool? You mean cosmetics should be farm-able? Ughhh no, you can boast about spending $500 over 3-4 years ... I've spend that alone this year in cosmetics alone ... the upset would be too great and DE would suffer from a secondary source of income.

They should never have been cosmetics. That's the whole point.

Fashion Frame is a meme, which is why I described this as a lost opportunity. I know they aren't going to change it now, but it was a mistake to not have armor be "armor" from the beginning.

It really wasn't. They wanted players to be able to choose how they looked regardless of any sort of stats. That's literally why they tanked arcane helmets.

1 minute ago, FrostDragoon said:

Okay then ... you pay out all the money ever spent on cosmetics back to the players and get what you want ... i'll wait.

Edited by Errodin

1 minute ago, FrostDragoon said:

Ahh to be so young and naive. Don't worry, maybe one day you'll understand how things work. 

Most of the objections really read like canned responses from people who didn't even read the OP, but I think my favorite one is people saying that they wouldn't want to farm for armor, but instead be forced to pay for it.

Who exactly said they would rather pay plat for armor than farm it? Who used that as their reasoning? No one. That hasn't been the issue here.

4 minutes ago, FrostDragoon said:

Most of the objections really read like canned responses from people who didn't even read the OP, but I think my favorite one is people saying that they wouldn't want to farm for armor, but instead be forced to pay for it.

No one here has never not read the full suggestion. 

but it's similar to saying that i made a suggestion for players to be able to craft Platinum out of rare resources like Nitain and Argon ... it's about converting something worth actual money into something you can get for free ... and everyone is saying that it's never going to happen ... WITH examples from past WF experiences.

Edited by Errodin

Hahahahaha-Nope. 

I don't want a look to be more powerful than an other. If the (said set) of cosmetic armor give me better armor, but is ugly as #*!%, no thanks. I don't want to be forced to choose performance over look. Go back to mobile games with this idea xD 

4 minutes ago, NotDealwithitdog said:

Who exactly said they would rather pay plat for armor than farm it? Who used that as their reasoning? No one. That hasn't been the issue here.

Calling it pay to win and then saying that people should be refunded if it was farmable sound familiar? lul

il y a 14 minutes, FrostDragoon a dit :

what is it with backwards people like you? every current game its doing away with stats on armor for a more fashinable gameplay experience, even wow introduced a way to transumte armors to have looks independent of stats, then comes you 10 years later with an idea thats not only a bad idea, but its actually an old design problem in games that developers are now doing away with, youre not trying to inovate youre trying to go back and its amazing that you keep replying to coments to insist its a good idea when it was actually in game before and it proved to be a bad idea, also every single example you have used ie maiming strike, buying plat for primes etc. makes no sense in this context.

Calling it pay to win and then saying that people should be refunded if it was farmable sound familiar? lul

Which is far different than what you're claiming they're saying. If something that was only available through plat is now available for free, it would be unfair to those who bought it when there would be no other way. Now who's the strawman?