Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cosmetic Armor is a lost gameplay opportunity

FrostDragoon

Just now, FrostDragoon said:

You're mistaking what is meant by "customization." I don't care about cosmetics so much. I want gameplay customziation. The initial proposal may not be the best avenue of approach, and I'm okay with alternate suggestions, but it's no contradiction. It's only you taking the way that I mean a word and applying it to a different meaning for that word. That's called an "equivocation" fallacy.

Or, you know, it means that your idea wasn't fully fleshed out in terms of communication and you're not able to pony up and admit it...

15 minutes ago, IntheCoconut said:

That is certainly a possibility. The way I see it is that by offering more options with armor, you could free up slots for different mods. As a super simple example, if your armor adds shields, you don't need to run Redirection. But I think I'd go for deeper passives with armor, such as program random occurrence, stuff that is a bit more unique than what you can get from mods. Example: every time you are hit there is a 1/2/3/4/5% (depending on how many from that armor set you are wearing) chance that you will gain X-amount-of shields.

considering i already never run survivability mods thats meh.. it just looks like elitist paywall copied from other games to me..

i'm not against it but its not really something we need and again.. DE has already tried this and they removed it. so its not likely to happen again.

when you burn your hand on the hot stove you don't go and reach for it again..

Edited by Makunogo

Some of the responders need to back off and assume the OP intends for cosmetic items to be farmable by default, or at least trust DE to make them as such.

Now, I'm not adverse to the idea of armor bits providing nifty little bonuses per se, but it rails hard against aesthetic preferences, which I have, and so a mechanic would have to be introduced that gave me the bonuses of the edo prime armor while letting me wear atavist pauldrons, targis chest, and imugi shin guards.  In other words, might as well just have more arcane slots or even introduce minor arcane slots, like +armor.  Just flatly more armor, not percentile based adjustments.

So I have to go "no" with this idea.  If someone doesn't spend plat on armor or skins because they provide no combat benefit, that's on them, most of us enjoy being able to don whatever we want and not have the nagging thought in the back of our mind we're wearing armor that totally doesn't do our frame any favors.

Also, it's a good, solid source of income for DE.  I wish more developers would realize incredibly robust character customization is a cash cow.

1 minute ago, Littleman88 said:

Some of the responders need to back off and assume the OP intends for cosmetic items to be farmable by default, or at least trust DE to make them as such.

Now, I'm not adverse to the idea of armor bits providing nifty little bonuses per se, but it rails hard against aesthetic preferences, which I have, and so a mechanic would have to be introduced that gave me the bonuses of the edo prime armor while letting me wear atavist pauldrons, targis chest, and imugi shin guards.  In other words, might as well just have more arcane slots or even introduce minor arcane slots, like +armor.  Just flatly more armor, not percentile based adjustments.

I'd be fine with this too.

1 minute ago, Littleman88 said:

So I have to go "no" with this idea.  If someone doesn't spend plat on armor or skins because they provide no combat benefit, that's on them, most of us enjoy being able to don whatever we want and not have the nagging thought in the back of our mind we're wearing armor that totally doesn't do our frame any favors.

Also, it's a good, solid source of income for DE.  I wish more developers would realize incredibly robust character customization is a cash cow.

cosmetic items are already farmable baro sells exclusive ones u cant even buy with plat.

1 minute ago, Makunogo said:

why not just ask for new mods instead then ? why does it have to be on armor ?

Because mod slots are too limited as it is. There are tons of great utility mods that never see the light of day because they have to compete with the "required" ones.

Just now, FrostDragoon said:

Because mod slots are too limited as it is. There are tons of great utility mods that never see the light of day because they have to compete with the "required" ones.

wouldn't the same thing apply to the stats theoretically put on armor ? because there isnt really any stat that is universally useful for all frames. 

What you ask is a nope, same problem as arcane helmets and won't be a thing anymore in WF

But in another perspective, they could add a "mod slot" on each part, and create a signature mod for each armor. So let's say the "Dendra Armor Mod" will give a small amount of shield, but you will be able to equip it on any other armor. (I think we don't really need that, but why not)

Just now, A-Midnight-Shanking said:

It aint bait. Least I hope it isn't. Always wanted to be able to play Pathogen Creator with the very own Helminth Strain that makes up our Warframes. (And actually use that med-bay).

Wat. It's requesting a regression in game paradigm to stats vs appearance, in a game that once had it via Arcane Helms, then got rid of it, then brought it slightly back with the old Arcanes system, and then ditched it again with the new Arcane slots on Warframes.

There's "pretending to be an idiot" and then there's this thread's OP.

I give it an 8/8 on the poster's dedication and the rate of bites he got alone, 'cause the quality in a vacuum was a 2 at best.

1 minute ago, Xgomme said:

What you ask is a nope, same problem as arcane helmets and won't be a thing anymore in WF

But in another perspective, they could add a "mod slot" on each part, and create a signature mod for each armor. So let's say the "Dendra Armor Mod" will give a small amount of shield, but you will be able to equip it on any other armor. (I think we don't really need that, but why not)

this is restictive because most people i have seen do not all equip parts from the same set. 

6 minutes ago, FrostDragoon said:

Lots of p2w already exists in the game

Like you tried using the fact people buy Primed mods and Maiming strike for plat in your earlier argument? Thats not Pay2Win, that is trade and Micro-transaction, not all Primed mods are tradeable, all Primed mods can be obtained for free so there is no Pay Wall to obtain them, the fact some of them are in a rotation to show up does not turn them into Pay2Win, same goes for Maiming Strike which is not mandatory and is actually part of a stupid playstyle.

Warframe Slots dont turn the game into Pay2Win either, a player can easily explore the whole starchart with just 2 Frames of their choice, same goes for weapons. If you are that desperate, it wont hurt asking a friend you know has Plat to spare and that likes to help to get you some slots.

Reactors/Catalysts may be a bit rare to come by but they are still obtainable for free, its a matter of waiting for the opportunity. If you are buying them of the Market, you are paying to Rush and not to win.

Anyways, doesnt matter, what you proposed is not in the best interest of the community or the devs.

Just now, Littleman88 said:

Not exactly the entire selection of cosmetics available.

And don't be antagonistic for the sake of it.  It's petty.

baro sells exsclusive armor, what is petty about that statement. i am proving that there is in fact farmable armor available. 

Edited by Makunogo

il y a 2 minutes, Makunogo a dit :

this is restictive because most people i have seen do not all equip parts from the same set. 

How ? You would have a slot on any armor, and a related mod on you can equip anywhere. I guess you misunderstood

Edited by Xgomme

2 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

How ? You have a slot on any armor, and a related mod on you can equip anywhere. I guess you misunderstood

i read it as  " wear this armor set and you get an extra mod slot" i

EDIT: n that case it is a bit restrictive cus i know most people generally put on 2 shoulder pieces and 2 different leg pieces. and maybe they dont even bother with the chest piece.

Edited by Makunogo

4 minutes ago, Littleman88 said:

Again, he doesn't sell all armor available.  On top of that what he sells isn't consistent.

So if the statement isn't petty, then it must be short-sighted.

so your being technical ? lol if ALL the sets were farmable there would be no reason for DE to put them in the market. they are also exclusive variants that tend to look better then the originals. 

he also sells armors for other things like capes. pet parts. ect which is a nice alternative to spending plat.

my point is still valid weather or not its "petty" to you because there is some farmable armor out there. i simply am pointing it out.

Edited by Makunogo

51 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

Like you tried using the fact people buy Primed mods and Maiming strike for plat in your earlier argument? Thats not Pay2Win, that is trade and Micro-transaction, not all Primed mods are tradeable, all Primed mods can be obtained for free so there is no Pay Wall to obtain them, the fact some of them are in a rotation to show up does not turn them into Pay2Win, same goes for Maiming Strike which is not mandatory and is actually part of a stupid playstyle.

Warframe Slots dont turn the game into Pay2Win either, a player can easily explore the whole starchart with just 2 Frames of their choice, same goes for weapons. If you are that desperate, it wont hurt asking a friend you know has Plat to spare and that likes to help to get you some slots.

Reactors/Catalysts may be a bit rare to come by but they are still obtainable for free, its a matter of waiting for the opportunity. If you are buying them of the Market, you are paying to Rush and not to win.

Anyways, doesnt matter, what you proposed is not in the best interest of the community or the devs.

Ah, I see. You have an unviably skewed definition of "p2w." No wonder you think that's an argument. If you can use real money to buy gameplay advantages, that's p2w. Anything else is simple apologetics (like most of the excuses here). The difference is that I don't consider p2w to be a "bad word" in the context of Warframe because there are so many ways around or through it, and it's not manipulative, predatory, or particularly egregious. so I don't see it as the huge negative that it often is in other games. Nevertheless, I'm not suggesting that it has to be implemented in a way that is, nor saying that it's now allowed to be an option, so even if you want to cry "p2w" about it, you still don't have an argument to stand on. If you read the rest of the thread, you would have known this already.

Cosmetics should remain cosmetics.

For more stat bonuses, I rather we get more mod slots instead. You already mentioned that certain mods can't compete the mandatory ones - having more space to fit in those extra mods pretty much would solve that and provide the opportunity for those stat bonuses you want to have. More mod slots is pretty much a win-win for everybody.

Edited by R.O.G.U.E.

12 minutes ago, R.O.G.U.E. said:

Cosmetics should remain cosmetics.

For more stat bonuses, I rather we get more mod slots instead. You already mentioned that certain mods can't compete the mandatory ones - having more space to fit in those extra mods pretty much would solve that and provide the opportunity for those stat bonuses you want to have. More mod slots is pretty much a win-win for everybody.

I really thought the Exilus mods were a great approach to this problem. Something similar but different could be a good way to go for mods. However, what I want is not something mods already do. They could make mods that do it, but we'd be back to the mod space issue. That's why I want it as a separate feature.