Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur umbra: AI issues

(XBOX)EternalDrk Mako

greetings tenno i have been an active xb1 and pc player and forum member

I have since been testing and working with both of mine and trying to further rectify some issues of note i find as problematic as his ai is an issue

the special passive of his ai is rather ineffective in combat 

as a note ive tested with many weapons and types and found some interesting things of note

the umbra ai has these in place

• slight damage buff to weapons
  • ai fires typically in a burst sets or full auto [weapon dependent]
  • fire rate of certain weapons is faster for him then standard use

these traits seem nice on paper but then compounded with 

• inability to correctly aim with all weapons
  • stray shots firing in random directions while aiming at target
  • inability to hit target even in a clear view and stationary
  • incapable of using alt fire?

shooting things like tenora, zenith, umbra excal burst fires and does terrible shot accuracy , many bullets will not hit target and are poorly shot 

boltor or supra can be burst fired to seem like full auto but chunks of bullets go astray every shot

snipers he can be fairly decent with 

but ive noticed two weapons he favors are arca plasmor and scourge , both of these weapons  can he not only shoot very accurately but also at a high rate with devastating results 

it is interesting that he can do so well to use them like a normal combatant can but not many of the others

another thing of note is the ai has delays were it dosnt recact to any nearby enemy in range 

one thing i find sad is after he becomes our partner, umbra is neutered to never be able to use his exalted blade {4 power) himself

now hold for a second as i dont think he should have the (spamalot) attack speed but its rather distasteful to have an Excalibur who literally cant use his own sword 

this could be addressed by having him only activate it for close combat or a limited duration timer on its usage but the complete removal of him from using it as our partner excal seems pointless and counter productive to his kit 

now I am a big fan of umbra in fact he i my favorite frame (has been these last three+ years) , and im not saying he should be overpowered or aimbot in ai , but he should be capable of combat and able to use his own kit in a decent fashion to aide us while we are in operator mode , i feel that would be a fair and potentially even balanced if these issues were addressed

some may not agree with em on some of these points but i feel there could be a compromised made to make sure the ai functioned better and could be agreeable to all

:Mako:

best regards

~mako

When I first acquired Umbra, I thought his passive was amazing, until I realized the AI that you fought when you were trying to acquire him, is much different than the AI you get once you acquire him. When you were fighting against homie, he'd stun lock the bejesus outta you with EB then end you with a radial javelin IF the damned blade beams didn't kill you. Yes, I know that he seemed so savage against you because you were in Operator form, but still, his AI when he was on his own made him seem just awesome compared to when he's finally on your side. It's like all that anger, rage, and sorrow that fueled him just went bye-bye once he allowed you to transfer into him. I really wish that ruthless, savage AI stayed with him once you acquired him, because it would make him MUCH more useful when you transfer outta him and he acts on his own. It confuses and annoys me as to why he doesn't use his abilities that much and has terrible accuracy with a lot of weapons.

1 hour ago, (XB1)GameNerd300 said:

When I first acquired Umbra, I thought his passive was amazing, until I realized the AI that you fought when you were trying to acquire him, is much different than the AI you get once you acquire him. When you were fighting against homie, he'd stun lock the bejesus outta you with EB then end you with a radial javelin IF the damned blade beams didn't kill you. Yes, I know that he seemed so savage against you because you were in Operator form, but still, his AI when he was on his own made him seem just awesome compared to when he's finally on your side. It's like all that anger, rage, and sorrow that fueled him just went bye-bye once he allowed you to transfer into him. I really wish that ruthless, savage AI stayed with him once you acquired him, because it would make him MUCH more useful when you transfer outta him and he acts on his own. It confuses and annoys me as to why he doesn't use his abilities that much and has terrible accuracy with a lot of weapons.

he was a bit over powered but i agree if they just mellowed that ai variation down it would be a better version

He's really just a specter, so not saying his AI doesn't need to be better, it does particularly on how aggressive he has to be, but specters have certain advantages players don't:

They can fire at absolute maximum speed for semi autos, that is particularly useful if you put something like the staticor on him, it has the AoE to not care about the reduced accuracy (which is the same accuracy enemies have, so you know) and fires faster than a human could.

I believe specters have also limited usage on powers, exalted weapons are straight forbidden (imagine a Mesa specter), but they also don't have energy, for them it's limitless.

5 minutes ago, Julian_Skies said:

actually each warframe  spectar has a different ai capability, but they are normally limited to not being able to spam powers but usually can cast all powers available even normal excal spectar can cast exalted blade weirdly enough

oddly enough the most accurate weapon shooter and best ai for powers use is harrows ai spectar

23 hours ago, (XB1)EternalDrk Mako said:

actually each warframe  spectar has a different ai capability, but they are normally limited to not being able to spam powers but usually can cast all powers available

Ever make a Nidus or Nekros specter? Any warframes that have an ability with counters is basically useless as a specter.

The only specter i honestly keep going back to is my Harrow, with a Rubico Prime and Pyrana Prime. He can be a BEAST, I dont think he uses his 1 but he might be killing enemies he uses them on since its the ai works that way, but honestly with him dropping his other abilities i get some pretty good buffs when playing with him.

21 hours ago, Dabnician said:

Ever make a Nidus or Nekros specter? Any warframes that have an ability with counters is basically useless as a specter.

The only specter i honestly keep going back to is my Harrow, with a Rubico Prime and Pyrana Prime. He can be a BEAST, I dont think he uses his 1 but he might be killing enemies he uses them on since its the ai works that way, but honestly with him dropping his other abilities i get some pretty good buffs when playing with him.

yea harrow spectar is the best because of that 

thus i wish umbra whos passive it is was closer to that in usefulness