Polarities

iesous27

Question

Alright, I'm a bit confused with polarities and what types of mods are uniquely tied to the polarities. Been watching iFlynn's beginners guide and just checked out his Soma build:

And I notice that the "damage" mods or mods that help boost damage have the "v" polarity. and then he uses the "elemental" mods with the "dash" polarity. Is this exclusive? Will it always be like this for mods? Warframe mods might be a bit different and would be cool to know them as well. 

Another thing that I noticed was that his infected clip was not right next to his stormbringer but he still got "corrosive" damage. Is this normal?

21 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, iesous27 said:

And I notice that the "damage" mods or mods that help boost damage have the "v" polarity. and then he uses the "elemental" mods with the "dash" polarity. Is this exclusive? Will it always be like this for mods?

Yes, most of the time it's safe to assume you need 2 to 4  V and 1 or 2 -

Damage, Crit and Multishot always have a V. Pure Elemental mods always have -

There are exceptions though. Dual stat mods (60% status/60% element) alsa have a V. And Vigilante Armament (Multishot) has a -

12 minutes ago, iesous27 said:

Another thing that I noticed was that his infected clip was not right next to his stormbringer but he still got "corrosive" damage. Is this normal?

It's not necessary to be next to each other. It's just the order. If this bothers you, however, and the polarities are in odd positions in your opinion you can use the "Swap Polarities" option to re-arrange them infinite times (but only available after at least 1 Forma was applied)

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

22 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Yes, most of the time it's safe to assume you need 2 to 4  V and 1 or 2 -

It's not necessary to be next to each other. It's just the order

huh, that's very good information to know. So technically to have a decently modded weapon, you'll need to forma at least 4 times?

38 minutes ago, iesous27 said:

and then he uses the "elemental" mods with the "dash" polarity. Is this exclusive? Will it always be like this for mods?

Dash (Naramon) elemental mods (also known as 90% element mods) are used on weapons that don't have status chance, which are generally crit weapons. Note that cold 90% is not Dash (Naramon) but is D (Varazin). These 90% mods take up 11 capacity when fully ranked.

For status chance weapons there are 60% element and 60% status chance mods and these are all V (Madurai) polarity. These 60/60 mods take up 7 capacity when fully ranked.

It's not that difficult to work out what polarity you need. You look at what the most expensive mod in your build is and you forma for that polarity, opening up the most free capacity with the forma. Typically the most expensive mods (for guns) are V (Madurai) polarity, and you'll pretty much always start with those. Eventually you'll probably come down to "should I forma V (Madurai) for a 9 cost mod (like Point Strike) to get myself 4 more capacity or should I forma Dash (Naramon) for an 11 cost mod (like Stormbringer) to get myself 5 more capacity".

I'll also add that me, personally, I'll catalyst a weapon before I start forma-ing it.

28 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Dash (Naramon) elemental mods (also known as 90% element mods) are used on weapons that don't have status chance, which are generally crit weapons. Note that cold 90% is not Dash (Naramon) but is D (Varazin). These 90% mods take up 11 capacity when fully ranked.

For status chance weapons there are 60% element and 60% status chance mods and these are all V (Madurai) polarity. These 60/60 mods take up 7 capacity when fully ranked.

It's not that difficult to work out what polarity you need. You look at what the most expensive mod in your build is and you forma for that polarity, opening up the most free capacity with the forma. Typically the most expensive mods (for guns) are V (Madurai) polarity, and you'll pretty much always start with those. Eventually you'll probably come down to "should I forma V (Madurai) for a 9 cost mod (like Point Strike) to get myself 4 more capacity or should I forma Dash (Naramon) for an 11 cost mod (like Stormbringer) to get myself 5 more capacity".

I'll also add that me, personally, I'll catalyst a weapon before I start forma-ing it.

Thanks for the info. I don't really know how using catalyst works. I've got one crafting, after watching iFlynn's video I got the idea that it basically doubles (?) your mod capacity without having to max it out again (?) ... I'm still a relative noobie when it comes to modding things lol /feelsbad/

1 hour ago, iesous27 said:

I don't really know how using catalyst works

You can apply 1 Reactor to a Frame or a Catalyst to a weapon (both are also known as potatoes).

They straight up double your capacity. So you end up having 60 when maxed out. It doesn't matter when you apply though

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

3 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

You can apply 1 Reactor to a Frame or a Catalyst to a weapon (both are also known as potatoes).

They straight up double your capacity. So you end up having 60 when maxed out. It doesn't matter when you apply though

So for example, if a max capacity is 60 for a weapon, I can apply the "potato" at unranked level and I will get 6 (3 before the potato for example), and by the time I get to max rank I will have 60 instead of 30?. 

Just now, GnarlsDarkley said:

exactly

So then, the only difference between a forma and "potato" is that a forma can change the polarity to your liking, but still give you extra mod capacity? Is that right? 😕 god damn there's too much to this game sometimes lol

3 minutes ago, iesous27 said:

So then, the only difference between a forma and "potato" is that a forma can change the polarity to your liking, but still give you extra mod capacity? Is that right? 😕 god damn there's too much to this game sometimes lol

No. (or I am misunderstanding your sentence)

A potato doubles the capacity.

A forma let you choose a polarity. If you use a mod with the same polarity only this mods costs are cut in half (and rounded up to the next integer. 9 becomes 5). But if you use a mod with a different polarity its costs are higher (11 instead of 9)

this is a guide I made. Maybe it explains things better than iflynns video to you

http://gnarlsdarkley.forumprofi.de/mod-explanation-f77/all-about-mods-t52.html

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

Just now, iesous27 said:

To clarify, only potatoes increase your mod point capacity, forming polarities only halves the cost of mods with matching polarities (or doubles them if they don't match), you're still working with 60 mod points.

The one exception being a weapon that you probably won't have to deal with for a while (The Paracesis) which actually maxes out at rank 40 (80 with a potato) and does require forma (5 to be exact) to gain the last 10 mod points.

28 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

No. (or I am misunderstanding your sentence)

A potato doubles the capacity.

A forma let you choose a polarity. If you use a mod with the same polarity only this mods costs are cut in half (and rounded up to the next integer. 9 becomes 5). But if you use a mod with a different polarity its costs are higher (11 instead of 9)

this is a guide I made. Maybe it explains things better than iflynns video to you

http://gnarlsdarkley.forumprofi.de/mod-explanation-f77/all-about-mods-t52.html

super helpful! Thanks a lot for this.

If I have a good understanding then, the reason why forma's are sought after for altering a weapon is to maximize it's potential with the correct mods you want to add to it (half the cost of the mod). I think I got it now!

1 minute ago, iesous27 said:

If I have a good understanding then, the reason why forma's are sought after for altering a weapon is to maximize it's potential with the correct mods you want to add to it (half the cost of the mod). I think I got it now!

Yup. That's the reason. 

First you use a weapon/frame. If you like it --> potato. If you can't fit in all the mods you want --> forma until all slots are filled.

But don't rush your decisions.

Check this site http://warframe-builder.com/ to theorycraft if your build really would work or if there is a better solution maybe

Most crit (non-status) weapons need 5-6 polarities (6-7 with a riven).  Primed weapons and dojo weapons that require forma typically come with 1 or 2 for free.   If you are on status build where you get to use the 7 point 60/60 you can sometimes get away with 1 or 2 less.

Regardless of what you do, there (for primaries) are three mods which pretty much always go in which sum up to 38 mod capacity.   If you do a standard crit build you are looking at another 40 points of mods (2 90% ele and the crit mods) and one other option slot which is another 7-11 points.   This is a total of 85-89 mod points need out of 60 max.  Or, if you look at it another way, you need ~11 points per slot when the game only allows 7.5.   So the amount of forma you need on average is 11/2*(n)+11*(8-n) = 60 or n = 4.3 or rounded up.

If you want to be lazy or a status build, just using 60/60 mods saves at least one forma since it brings the average down to ~10 points which makes N  slightly less than 4.   Regardless, nearly all weapons require 4 forma at a min to bring them to "sortie use".   There are "some" exceptions, but they are not the typical.  

7 hours ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

It's not that difficult to work out what polarity you need. You look at what the most expensive mod in your build is and you forma for that polarity, opening up the most free capacity with the forma.

^^^This is the general rule/method I use myself.  By doing this and using 60/60 mods, you usually don't have to more than 3 times depending on the weapon.  My AkBolto Prime came with so many polarities at default that I only needed to forma it twice to fit in everything including 2 primed mods.  

15 hours ago, Chappie1975 said:

Most crit (non-status) weapons need 5-6 polarities (6-7 with a riven).  Primed weapons and dojo weapons that require forma typically come with 1 or 2 for free.   If you are on status build where you get to use the 7 point 60/60 you can sometimes get away with 1 or 2 less.

Regardless of what you do, there (for primaries) are three mods which pretty much always go in which sum up to 38 mod capacity.   If you do a standard crit build you are looking at another 40 points of mods (2 90% ele and the crit mods) and one other option slot which is another 7-11 points.   This is a total of 85-89 mod points need out of 60 max.  Or, if you look at it another way, you need ~11 points per slot when the game only allows 7.5.   So the amount of forma you need on average is 11/2*(n)+11*(8-n) = 60 or n = 4.3 or rounded up.

If you want to be lazy or a status build, just using 60/60 mods saves at least one forma since it brings the average down to ~10 points which makes N  slightly less than 4.   Regardless, nearly all weapons require 4 forma at a min to bring them to "sortie use".   There are "some" exceptions, but they are not the typical 

Thanks for the info, even though my math is extremely bad, or maybe I don't know what "n" is supposed to be within that formula 🤣.  I got the gist of it though, I think I'm looking more towards a status and critical mix build. 

18 hours ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

Yup. That's the reason. 

First you use a weapon/frame. If you like it --> potato. If you can't fit in all the mods you want --> forma until all slots are filled.

But don't rush your decisions.

Check this site http://warframe-builder.com/ to theorycraft if your build really would work or if there is a better solution maybe

I used that warframe builder, but I think there's some limitations because the default builder doesn't take into account how many forma's you may or may not use. 

Right now, I'm enjoying using volt so this is the build that I made for him:

Corrosive projection (aura and "v" polarity but the mod is "dash" polarity)

speed drift (aura)

Primed continuity

coaction drift ("dash" polarity)

stretch

vigor

streamline

intensify ("v" polarity)

vitality

fortitude

As you can see, there is only 3 polarities that I can match up with, but I think if I use forma's to match all of the polarities of these mods, I could make it work, because the builder says I'm below 19 points.

29 minutes ago, iesous27 said:

Thanks for the info, even though my math is extremely bad, or maybe I don't know what "n" is supposed to be within that formula 🤣.  I got the gist of it though, I think I'm looking more towards a status and critical mix build. 

N is the amount of forma you will need typically to optimize a primary 

weapon.    

Status 4

Crit 5-6

With a riven, +1 polarity

hopefully this helps...GL out there tenno.

11 minutes ago, iesous27 said:

I used that warframe builder, but I think there's some limitations because the default builder doesn't take into account how many forma's you may or may not use. 

Right now, I'm enjoying using volt so this is the build that I made for him:

Corrosive projection (aura and "v" polarity but the mod is "dash" polarity)

speed drift (aura)

Primed continuity

coaction drift ("dash" polarity)

stretch

vigor

streamline

intensify ("v" polarity)

vitality

fortitude

You need to click on the Forma symbol in the right upper corner

As for your build: What is your goal with it? It does have a little bit of everything but doesn't excel in sth specific.

Fortitude is useless, better use Power Drift for 10% more KD res (you dont ever use shield recharge)

https://goo.gl/hy5sb8

This would be a cheap 2 Forma build

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

38 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

You need to click on the Forma symbol in the right upper corner

As for your build: What is your goal with it? It does have a little bit of everything but doesn't excel in sth specific.

Fortitude is useless, better use Power Drift for 10% more KD res (you dont ever use shield recharge)

https://goo.gl/hy5sb8

This would be a cheap 2 Forma build

I just chose fortitude because it recharges shield. I'm a bit of a reckless player.. I like to use shock and discharge and then melee everyone most of the time and then when I start losing my shield doubling back and blasting people with the hek lol. But the build you did was pretty solid too! I just need to find all of these mods now!!

1 minute ago, iesous27 said:

I like to use shock and discharge and then melee everyone most of the time and then when I start losing my shield doubling back 

No. Just don't do this. That's the beginning of the downfall. You will be used to such gameplay.

Dmg on Shields doesn't take armor into account (I know Volt doesn't have much armor but you may end up using Frost in the same gamestyle). If you want reckless gameplay pick another Frame. If you like Volt for its Shock attacks and damage there are way better and faster ways to kill enemies.

If you want you can send me a dm and we can maybe find a more suitable frame and gamestyle for you including builds