Riven mod glaive questions.

5m4llP0X

Question

I have some questions about a riven I just picked up.

CD6i5Qg.jpg

1. Does "melee damage" mean it only works when using it as a melee weapon? Because I've noticed all melee mods have the same wording.
  2. Is this a good riven?
  3. Does the attack speed matter much?

6 answers to this question

1. Melee damage affects both melee mode and quick melee.
  2. Dunno; I think it depends on how you want to build the Glaive or Glaive Prime. With that damage bonus and extra electricity I'd say it's definitely not bad.
  3. Yes and no. Attack speed is important to weapon DPS, but some people may prefer to skip it. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the bonuses from Rivens apply relative to other mods, you can cancel out that penalty by equipping Primed Fury.

13 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:
  1. Melee damage affects both melee mode and quick melee.
  2. Dunno; I think it depends on how you want to build the Glaive or Glaive Prime. With that damage bonus and extra electricity I'd say it's definitely not bad. 
  3. Yes and no. Attack speed is important to weapon DPS, but some people may prefer to skip it. Unless I'm misunderstanding how the bonuses from Rivens apply relative to other mods, you can cancel out that penalty by equipping Primed Fury.

Thank you.

What about throwing? Is it good as a thrown mod?

Melee damage is just damage. Affects every aspect of the weapon, including throwing attacks, AOE attacks, projectiles and bullets that comes from that melee weapon.

Channeling Efficiency is not really useful, maybe with Melee 3.0, they might change it to something that might be useful but that remains unclear, especially for Glaive type weapons.

Electric damage is workable. Mix with Toxin to create Corrosive or Fire to create Radiation.

Attack Speed affects the charge speed and animation for the Throw too so unless you're offsetting that penalty with Fury, it will be quite detrimental to using a Glaive in both melee and throwing.

As a mod for Throwing, it's not too terrible if you're not doing channeled throws while Dual Wielding. The attack speed reduction will slow down the charge to a crawl, increasing the time it takes till the markers turn blue for a channeled throw.

2 hours ago, Flandyrll said:

Melee damage is just damage. Affects every aspect of the weapon, including throwing attacks, AOE attacks, projectiles and bullets that comes from that melee weapon.

Channeling Efficiency is not really useful, maybe with Melee 3.0, they might change it to something that might be useful but that remains unclear, especially for Glaive type weapons.

Electric damage is workable. Mix with Toxin to create Corrosive or Fire to create Radiation.

Attack Speed affects the charge speed and animation for the Throw too so unless you're offsetting that penalty with Fury, it will be quite detrimental to using a Glaive in both melee and throwing.

As a mod for Throwing, it's not too terrible if you're not doing channeled throws while Dual Wielding. The attack speed reduction will slow down the charge to a crawl, increasing the time it takes till the markers turn blue for a channeled throw.

Thank you for your reply.

Was it the case before when AS wasn't effecting the throw? I found some old comments off reddit and videos that said AS was meaningless for Glaive.

Attack speed has always affected the the charge speed and the animation. The animation is always a really short animation so attack speed didn't really matter.

However, before they started phasing in some of the Melee 3.0 things into the game, the charge speed was relatively fast. During which, a Volt's speed would completely throw off your charge as what would normally be a perfectly timed throw would end up overcharging and releasing automatically. Without any Attack Speed mods, timing a channeled throw was a comfortable pace which is probably why people didn't really see a need for it. 

Currently, the charge speed seems to have been slowed down quite a lot and attack speed is not as significant of an effect as it used to be. Without a decent amount of Attack Speed bonus, the charge is really sluggish now so having some Attack Speed does make quite a big difference.