Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts About The Trinity Revamp, Now And Then

NIL0S

Let us analyze the current situation and the announced revamp, ability by ability:

WELL OF LIFE
cost: 25 energy.

Current: a low cost healing ability that is not very effective due to the low amount of health it provides, and the fact that to get healed you have to hit a specific target in the first place. As of now, Trinity can keep this up infinitely if used properly along with Energy Vampire.

Revamp: the health return will be improved so it sounds more useful. This is positive. But if you change Energy Vampire into an aura, why not change this as well? It would be pretty much like what Ancient Healers already do. Much easier to use in a squad too.

ENERGY VAMPIRE
cost: 50 energy ( returns 100 per cast ).

Current: this is the Trinity's signature ability IMO, it almost should be an ultimate as it gives a coordinated party infinite energy, as long there is mobs to cycle this through and the squad coordinates to hit and not kill those mobs outright, so the Trinity and everybode else can get the energy return (not an easy thing to do, even with voice chat).

Revamp: sounds like this will become an aura instead, worried about if the energy return will remain the same as before and therefore allow an infinite energy battery or not, on the upside could potentially also be a lot less tricky to make work (don't have to coordinate with squad on any specific target).

LINK
cost: 75 energy.

Current: Trinity's solo boss killer ability, it's pretty powerful as is and gives you a lot of breathing room when you need it (for example while hacking a terminal or ressing a downed squaddy), it makes her both invulnerable and reflects damage. As of now, Trinity can keep this ability up a very long time with almost no need for orbs if coupled with efficient use of Energy Vampire.

Revamp: It will be made even more powerful and given more reach apparently, not that this is a bad thing, but it already was a pretty powerful ability to begin with. EDIT: I made a mistake here, was unclear about the changes, apparently it is going to become a damage reduction instead of a full blown invulnerability. This changes things up a bit.

BLESSING
cost: 100 energy.

Current: renders Well of Life completely obsolete as it recharges both shields, life AND gives invulnerability to the whole squad. As things stand, in combination with Energy Vampire, Trinity can keep this up for quite some time in a battle without needing to fetch any orbs.

Revamp: will be more viable to cast in a pinch, as the casting time will diminish. This is positive. At the same time i feel like it shouldn't restore both life and shields, it makes Well of Life completely obsolete and delves into Mag's department with the complete shield regeneration (Shield Polarize), the squad wide invulnerability component on it is already very powerful on its own (it completely nullifies toxic clouds or bullet attractors on players, as an example).

Summing it up...

ATM Trinity is a bit of a blunt Warframe to play as it has a couple of redundant abilities (a lot of invulnerability and healing, healing and invulnerability). At the same time Trinity shines if used properly in combination with other classes, just as an example, you can have a perma bastille with a Vauban or a semi perma stomp build with a Rhino, because energy doesn't depend on gathering orbs. It would be a loss of a great squad dynamic if this wasn't possible anymore after the revamp. I would love to see Trinity become more of a proactive kind of support class, that has specific abilities for specific situations, requiring alertness about when to use and how to cycle them.

This post became much longer than intended so, thank you if you've bothered to read through it, feel free to add your own ideas :)

Edited by NIL0S

.... mhm ts.

well of live is useless.

after revamp: useless again, you just don't take health damage in this game when you are playing in party. you don't.

energy vampire was a very powerful ability before auras, as it now if you feel fancy to tank with trinity infested on survival this ability provides trinity and only trinity with abilty to do so. because of quick energy return with decent gun: for example you use it on toxic, you kill it real quick with acrid, you have energy to use another vampire on another toxic to tank further, for eternity.

with revamp i am not so sure that it's gonna be just as useful, because party have no need in energy, when trinity sure does. and if energy income will be less... well.(add: you still have 4 or so siphons running)

link. as it now it's best tanking ability. provides many advantages and damage reflection. and nothing can hurt you.

after revamp it's gonna be damage reduction ability. just like overheat. problem is that even if i will have, let say 20k+ effective hp under link it's hardly matters because i will still take damage. Which is bad because i am gonna die sooner or later, because those pesky mobs strike hard.

blessing. as it now it's just fine. if you have brain and sense of timing you will do fine with this ability because again it's hardly matters for party it's personal invul for the most of the time. combining with link it allows you not to die if you lost your sense of time in the heat of battle and you can't say for how long link effect will last. for total invul it's cast time was just fine.

after revamp: well.. there are noobs in the game who can die as trinity, i think it will help them.

tl;dr

overall i think it's a nerf. i think it will not make trinity useful party member for all missions possible. this revamp makes me feel that abilities are made with **** off attitude. but you know, as always, you can't  tell for sure until you see it ingame.

Edited by Althix

Didn't they say Link would have damage reduction instead of true vulnerability?

If this is the case that was a very stealthy nerf, as they put things into words it sounded like an overall improvement. Could be i was distracted and heard wrong :) PS: Edited OP.

Edited by NIL0S

If this is the case that was a very stealthy nerf, as they put things into words it sounded like an overall improvement. Could be i was distracted and heard wrong :) PS: Edited OP.

Yeah, Link is getting nerfed hard.  I will need to see the actual damage reduction percentage before passing final judgement, but Ember's Overheat nerf does not bode well.  I'm betting the damage reduction will be around 50% (pure speculation). 

also this nerf of energy vampire will affect some frames. like nyx.

A Nyx (at least, one which is being played properly) doesn't need energy vampire whatsoever.  None of Nyx's abilities are meant to be spammed, and they last a long time.  

If Energy Vampire does end up being nerfed, the frames hit hardest will be Rhino, Saryn, Vauban, and any other energy hungry warframes.   

The new Link could be okay if the damage you get is offset by the new Well of Life, but i rather think it won't.

For me it kind of boils down to how the new Energy Vampire will come out.

I hadn't even factored in Energy Siphon aura, at the same time i haven't really relied on it heavily in the past.

A Nyx (at least, one which is being played properly) doesn't need energy vampire whatsoever.  None of Nyx's abilities are meant to be spammed, and they last a long time.  

you use vampire for absorb. so when nyx is done she is in full energy with blessing on top of her.

as for spamm. you spamm absorb.

p.s. and even with both mods for power duration and mod for power cost you can't regen absorb use. so yes vampire for nyx.

Edited by Althix

you use vampire for absorb. so when nyx is done she is in full energy with blessing on top of her.

as for spamm. you spamm absorb.

Absorb is too risky, and it is less effective than Chaos.  If enemies decide (for whatever reason) to attack the cryopod or other teammates instead of Nyx, then you've just lost 1/4th (or more) of your effective strength for upwards of 10 seconds.  If enemies take cover before firing at Nyx, then you've just wasted everybody's time (because those enemies won't take any damage whatsoever).  Absorb also has a smaller area of effect than Chaos does (with max Stretch, Chaos can effect every enemy in a defense map). 

I have enough space to put Absorb onto my Nyx, but I refuse to do so because if I accidentally activate it instead of Chaos, then I can very easily cause the entire mission to fail.  It has happened to me before. 

teammates attacked? cryopod attacked? wth are talking about there is no such thing because of you know.... snowglobe or bastille... or both.

besides nyx i am playing with are not stupid and know how position herself. and damage from absorb is decent, when you fire from  ogris on it.

teammates attacked? cryopod attacked? wth are talking about there is no such thing because of you know.... snowglobe or bastille... or both.

besides nyx i am playing with are not stupid and know how position herself. and damage from absorb is decent, when you fire from  ogris on it.

If Bastille or Snowglobe are active, then enemies aren't going to be able to increase the damage of Absorb, which again means you are wasting your time by using it. 

The Ogris also isn't a good choice for adding damage onto Absorb, because the Ogris' main advantage is its area of effect, which Absorb does not make use of (since Nyx will only take damage equivalent to one mob).  If you really want a lot of damage, then you should be using high single-target DPS weapons such as Spectra or Kunai/Despair. 

None of that even addresses the fact that any Absorb damage is completely unreliable, regardless of how much damage is pumped into it.  Absorb's damage is blocked by terrain, enemy corpses, and possibly even other players.  It is fully possible to have all 4 players waste 15 seconds pumping ammo into Absorb, only for the ability to finally go off and hit absolutely nothing.  When Chaos can protect the pod virtually forever (with repeated applications), Absorb simply isn't worth using. 

I feel like Well of Life should be either a ground-targeted area of effect or an aura centered on Trinity. The first effect would allow her to drop it somewhere that allies would walk on to heal. The second would allow her to walk around and heal targets on the go. Given Warframe's general playstyle, I think the second would work better.

Energy Vampire was okay, I'll have to see how the changes affect its usage. Doesn't seem too different, though, aside from having to stand closer to the target.

I don't have much to say about Link and Blessing really.