An idea for further weapon progression : New Era Prototype Forma and Prototype Exilus

PunJ0hn

So, I was watching Life of Rio's recent video and he was talking about the Paracesis and how it breaks the level cap of 30, and what other ways that ideas like this could be implemented.

It got me thinking.

Weapons are a bit... lacking some times. Like I REALLY love using some quality of life mods on them that detract from damage. Mods such as Combustion Beam, or Sinister Reach on beam weapons. What if there was a way to further customize a weapon if you really REALLY love it? Let me know what you think about the following :

• Orokin-era or Prototype Forma - After bringing a weapon to level 30 and using forma to modify the polarity of every slot on the weapon as is, you could use a new resource to further enhance that weapon. Crafting this new... for lack of a better name, Super Forma or prototype forma, would require the sacrifice of a mod, fully ranked. You could apply this forma to imbue that weapon with a portion of the sacrificed mod's effect. For example, sacrificing a fully ranked Serration would provide a permanent 50% weapon damage bonus. After applying this prototype forma, the weapon would lose all forma-applied polarities, and brought down to rank 0, just as if it was taken right out of the foundry to start fresh again. This could be done a limited amount of times, to avoid infinitely stacking brokenness.

The effect of this idea, would be that a new progression loop could be introduced to players. At the same time, this would allow a player who likes an unpopular weapon, to make it viable with time invested, rather than relying on the RNG platinum factory that is the Riven system. Its not a replacement for rivens, but something to accompany them. This could also be a great use to dump endo into, since it would require sacrificing a fully ranked mod.

• Prototype Exilus Adapter - Similar to the forma idea above, this would require a player to bring a weapon to the max rank, and yadda yadda yadda, to use another new resource to customize the weapon. Certain mods, if sacrificed to make this new Exilus adapter, would apply a new slot onto a weapon. Depending on the type of mod used to create this, a quality of life slot could be added to the weapon. Sinister Reach, while not adding any damage, makes a weapon feel better to use. Reload speed could be quickened, magazine capacity could be expanded, or recoil could be reduced, all while not sacrificing one of the few eight slots we have for most weapons. Maybe sacrificing a riven for that specific weapon could add a dedicated riven slot onto the weapon (maybe too strong, but its just an idea).

I think that once you finish making a build for a weapon, it is.. more or less done, and just becomes another tool in a growing tool box. But I really REALLY like this one tool. When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail, and I want everything to be hammered with this one thing I love.

Side note : not sure if this was the right spot in the forums to post this, but if not, I guess move the thread?

The idea of "Prototype Forma" doesn't really increase the customisation, it's just additionnal power creep because it will always be better to add more damage/multishot, elemetal damages to have them innate or anything but QoL.

It's similar for the "Prototype Exilus" because if it depend on the "type of mod used", it means using a damage mod will always be better if you're looking for more damages, it doesnt make you think like "oh, a new slot, let's put QoL mods in it".

The best solution would be just a QoL slot that allow reload speed, magazine size, range, etc... on it but anyways, I'm not sure it's a good idea because this is what the mod system is about.
Casual players see "I can put more damages mods in so let's put damages on my 8 slots", while more advanced players know how to use those QoL stats efficently in a way they indirectly increase your damage output more than a damage mod. For example, range on melee ,flight speed on slow projectiles weapons, negative accuracy on flamethrower/rocket launcher, etc...

If you really want a QoL mod, you can replace a less useful mod on your build and if you can't without loosing efficiency, it means you don't really need that QoL mod.

48 minutes ago, PunJ0hn said:

Sinister Reach, while not adding any damage, makes a weapon feel better to use.

Sinister Reach, Punchthrough mods as well, allow you to project your damage further and onto more enemies at once.

49 minutes ago, PunJ0hn said:

Reload speed could be quickened, magazine capacity could be expanded

Both of these minimize downtime between emptying your magazines into enemies.

This is all unjustified power creep. You give an example of someone making an underused weapon more viable... but the same mechanism allows the most meta weapon to also gain an absurd amount of power to vaporize any enemy in normal play 78 times over.

There are remarkably few actual quality of life mods for weapons, as most directly contribute to one's killing ability, either by allowing one to fire more (Ammo, Reload) or fire better (Recoil, Damage). 

There's pretty much Zoom mods, Flight Speed mods, and Agile Aim and its variants.

Edited by Vox_Preliator

Or a player can choose the highest of the tier and spend the effort upgrading 
all the forma and proto-forma.

As opposed to upgrading the Lato and Braton, 
I am certainly going to upgrade the Lex Prime and Tiberon Prime

And I am certain a lot of players here are going to do the same.

Then again, what you suggested are already present in the game as different tier of weapons within the same class.
with similar/ identical functional performance, which are direct upgrades.

On 2018-11-02 at 8:21 PM, PunJ0hn said:

You could apply this forma to imbue that weapon with a portion of the sacrificed mod's effect. For example, sacrificing a fully ranked Serration would provide a permanent 50% weapon damage bonus. After applying this prototype forma, the weapon would lose all forma-applied polarities, and brought down to rank 0, just as if it was taken right out of the foundry to start fresh again

This is an absolutely horrible idea. Why would anyone sacrifice a fully ranked mod just to imbue that weapon with 50% of the stats? Moreover, resetting al polarities? Yeah, no. Worst idea so far today.