Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What if reviving had a cost associated to it?

PookieNumnums

The revives are fine as they are. They revised it because it was to punishing for new players and mostly meaningless for old ones. That hasn't changed, and no reason to rejigger half the game to make it fit when they can be patching old bugs and adding new ones via new content. 

Convoluted nonsense like this would turn off new and old players a like.  Warframe has always been a fairly casual game and attempts to punish player decisions have consistently blown up in DE's face.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

21 hours ago, PookieNumnums said:

What if it the game consumed a frame every time we revive ourselves? I agree. That seems unreasonable, inhumane, and cruel.

it costs affinity to revive, also before that each frame had a limited number of revives then you couldnt use them for the rest of the day and had to switch to another frame, seeing as we changed from that, it was probably disliked.

On 2018-11-03 at 2:19 AM, AndouRaiton said:

Reviving yourself costs affinity.

oh yeah hahaha,

tbh id rather spend specters than 10% of my xp 

On 2018-11-03 at 3:07 AM, Ornothopter said:

The problem with revive costs is they are largely inconsequential (as far as the impact of the resource drain is concerned) to established players but highly punishing to newer players. Worse yet, veteran players have the tools and the know-how to help with staying alive and new players likely don't.

well, it would add another sense of progression to the game. specter bp come from rescue and that is accessible early on and as you progress you gain access to better specter bp

as for the other accusations and comments about my motives,

yeah swapping frames during a mission would be great but that wasnt the reason for it

really the logic was adding in transferrence to the game a bit more than with our one warframe and giving specters more reason to even exist. the resource costs arent that high for them, and could make specter regiment useful again and a bonus to being in a clan (a la the large restore bp 10 packs)

Ending up in a mission with a non-ideal layout at least adds some challenge, being able to "switch" loadouts by purposefully dying sounds like something that's all too up for abuse.

That said, I do believe (endless) missions need a window in which one can change loadouts, especially in ESO it's just frustrating to end up with eg. 3 Trinitys without anyone being able to swap to something else, meaning you either end up with half the team leaving after the first portal or half the team bored to death most of the mission. Maybe the same window in which new players can join? Though that would suck for late joiners, so maybe just the first 60 seconds after joining? Probably want to add some form of invulnerability while messing around with loadouts too (or just have enemies ignore said player as if he was not there so it's not prone to abuse)

Having to earn the abilities, a-la old Dark Sectors otoh sounds like something that could be fun, maybe as a new type of Nightmare Mission? Especially on the higher tier endless missions (not even sure this "mode" would even make sense in non-endless) having to make do with only limited abilities could be interesting.

I'm not opposed to there being a cost for revives - but I think it would be simpler, and cooler if maybe it was based on resources and the type of damage that took you down.

Like, for instance - if you went down because of IPS damage and were proc'ed at time of death w/ Puncture and Slash, then say, it costs 500 Alloy & 500 Neurodes (alloy for the armor, and neurodes to heal the flesh of the frame)  And the affinity cost remains as the 'glue' that holds the 'repairs' together.  

Think of it this way - affinity is you adapting to the frame - learning how to use it better - it takes enough damage to disrupt transference and take the frame down - you have to spend affinity (say in this instance as void energy or something) to drive some auto-repair/healing mechanism thats just abstracted out - just a concept.  The affinity cost could also be because the damage and subsequent repair to the frame has changed it - maybe minutely - but you have to regain that adaptation response to it - thus - it eats up some affinity in addition to some resources. 

I am sure it would be a trivial matter to tie specific resources to specific types of status.  And you could have the cost go up every time the person goes down in a match - 500 X resources and affinity the first time - 1000x the next, etc...   eventually it would get to the point where even old timers with millions of resources would say its not worth it.  Probably should scale that with mastery rank too - since n00bs on mercury aren't going to have the resources to self revive.

Another though - what if a self revive took a whole level off your frame.  So you go from a 30 to a 29... 28.. etc..  

There are mechanics you could implement that simply wouldn't be as complicated as the idea of specters - and still impart a cost that wouldn't be to incredibly painful, or add needless complexity.  

I shudder to think what the retention rate on new players - for an already complicated game - would be if players found out they had to craft specters to revive. I could also see this as being seen as 'punishing' the solo guys - since they never have anyone around to revive them.   And it might introduce balance issues (though probably not) with frames like Inaros and Nidus that have a sort of 'cheat death' mechanic.