Some thoughts and concerns

FATEdPondera

So, I just finished catching up with the chains of Harrow and the Sacrifice quests, and have some thoughts on the game I'd like to convey. 

The quests themselves were.... just kind of odd. Am I the only one who feels like these little segments are growing increasingly out of place? In past years, the game was all about gutting bus loads of Corpus, Grineer and infested, and the only real change up in that routine was the induction of better and fancier tools to do so, but now it feels like more emphasis is being placed on the operator, who, correct me if I am wrong, but... if the operator is killed, then all is lost, no? Game over, delete account cuz we died? There doesn't seem to be any penalty associated with dying that I saw, and isn't this what Warframes are for in the first place? I mean, we can't even augment our powers through mods like we can with frames and guns, which just adds to that dreadfully out of place feeling. Like there's a base game here, and someone has come along and tacked all this extra stuff on that just doesn't fit.

Especially since our operators themselves are ENTIRELY too chill and meek with everything going on. We've personally slaughtered thousands of living beings. Extinction level events are our way of waking up in the morning, and up until a couple years ago, we weren't even aware that Warframes weren't our real bodies. So instead of centered, mindful and wise for their age children, should we not be Katsuki Bakugo esque warmongers whose solution to problems is "go get a bigger gun and more ammo?" 

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Warframe is a bad game. It's just confusing me greatly over what the heck the devs are trying to create here. It feels like it wants to be dynasty warriors mixed with doom, but the addition of nullifiers, sentinel adaption and operators feels like they're desperately trying to slow us down and take focus away from that into a more old school bioware emotional experience...which, as previously mentioned, doesn't feel like its gonna work. 

Am I the only one who feels this way, or did I just spend 20 minutes coming up with 3 paragraphs and change of crazy talk?

2 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

Am I the only one who feels this way, or did I just spend 20 minutes coming up with 3 paragraphs and change of crazy talk?

You answered yourself. Operators are incredibly optional gameplay wise for 90% of the game, but important storywise to explain the universe. If you haven't played the sacrifice yet, I suggest you get on that right away to learn a few more things about the universe as well. 

Just now, FATEdPondera said:

yeah, I just finished it maybe an hour ago. Honestly, didn't really help. In fact, it made me feeling of internal "WTF are they trying to do anymore???" a little worse.

Show snippets of the universe and tell a story that doesn't really impact gameplay other than give you an optional tool to add to your arsenal? Because if you think too hard on it, you'll eventually overthink it and jump to strange conclusions  (seen it happen a lot). I play the game, see some story elements and get a new shiny to destroy ants until another thing distracts me. If the story quests had no rewards, I don't think I would even touch them. It is a game after all. 

Are operators a perfect story plot or mechanic. Nah. Is it different and has far more potential than the current incarnation currently portrays. I think so. 

I don't think WF would have done nearly so we'll just building Tenno reinforcement updates these past 6 years. Just focusing on Doom repetition. I come back for these weird layer additions.

12 минут назад, FATEdPondera сказал:

yeah, I just finished it maybe an hour ago. Honestly, didn't really help. In fact, it made me feeling of internal "WTF are they trying to do anymore???" a little worse.

I don't know hiw it's not obvious to you or anyone, they just water down the gameply because they can literally do nothing about warframe powers because it's "too much work" and "too complicated" to even begin to balance it out so they nerfed most cc abilities to sht and most dps abilities to sht and introduced content that only can be played if you invest in operators.  

But story wise there's 0 issues with that because from the very start it was established that warframes are just tools because from the very start players were called tenno ALONG with npcs using the word "warframe" as in acknowledging that those things are not the same, and from the very start you had codex entries that explained step by step what the heck are you, what are warframes and what is going on. Just now it's more blant and in your face, is all.

Edited by -Temp0-

16 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

isn't this what Warframes are for in the first place?

Yes and no. They're for channelling the powers the Tenno have, which IIRC were uncontrollable early-on. Before that, though, they were used as organic combat proxies with Tenno pilots added later.

20 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

So instead of centered, mindful and wise for their age children, should we not be Katsuki Bakugo esque warmongers whose solution to problems is "go get a bigger gun and more ammo?" 

The thing is, you have to consider they're literal child soldiers and not every soldier is a warmongering lunatic.

34 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

I think this is because it's not all there yet. The story we're getting is in patchwork form. We get one detail of Warframes, one detail of the Void, one detail of Lotus...not necessarily in any sort of chronological order, either. And this creates a lot of gaps that later story instalments have to fill in.

I think the overall direction of the story is to answer specific questions (which kind of necessarily detracts from the "ask no questions, fire more guns" gameplay). What are Warframes, why are we using them, what are Tenno, why are we killing a bunch of things, et cetera. That you still have questions, to me, just says that the story isn't done. There's a whole Void / Tenno relationship that's yet to be fleshed out, after all, and who knows what kind of light that'll shed on what we're doing.

13 hours ago, Tyreaus said:

The thing is, you have to consider they're literal child soldiers and not every soldier is a warmongering lunatic.

Honestly, that is exactly why I would suspect that virtually ALL Tenno are on the verge of a psychotic breakdown, that is if they haven't crossed that point already. Despite the cryostasis, they are still ranging from child-teenage age, meaning an immature mind that is more vulnerable to trauma and will have longer lasting consequences. You can see this in PTSD manifesting in child abuse victims that causes problems that last the rest of their lives. 

Also, Soldiers are often given training, clear direction, and proper support. Tenno are plunged into "kill or be killed" moments from the moment they wake up and are thrust into the game world without a moment to even shake their morning sleepiness off. Combine that with the fact that they are constantly finding and crafting new weapons, and encouraged by Ordis and the Lotus to do their job, it's entirely possible that Tenno could regard the lives of Grineer and Corpus as little more than a toy while considering their own existence and lack of pain as paramount, which is another means of flinging the door open to psychotic behavior. 

I might be sinking to the level of unimportant blathering here, but this is just another example of a trend that's been kind of bothering me lately. We all like strong and wise protagonists, but modern video games are increasingly throwing characters and especially player characters into situations where it's impossible to come away without some measure of psychological damage. I say again, our operators should not be this chill. Not by a long shot. 

Edited by FATEdPondera

It's not like the Tenno just get thrown into battle. I mean, maybe originally, but not at the start of the game.

By the time we start playing them, they're already warriors. An Operator quote when you drop into infested missions is something like "We need to purge this place, as we did in the old days." We're already used to murdering people like us that are beyond salvation, it's not like we can cure the infested once they're trying to kill us. It's probably not hard to apply the same mentality to corrupt or downright warmongering people, "We can't change them for the better so we need to put them down."

The day to day events of the game are probably pretty normal to them. The biggest shocks are probably anything quest related.

2 hours ago, FATEdPondera said:

Honestly, that is exactly why I would suspect that virtually ALL Tenno are on the verge of a psychotic breakdown, that is if they haven't crossed that point already. Despite the cryostasis, they are still ranging from child-teenage age, meaning an immature mind that is more vulnerable to trauma and will have longer lasting consequences. You can see this in PTSD manifesting in child abuse victims that causes problems that last the rest of their lives. 

Also, Soldiers are often given training, clear direction, and proper support. Tenno are plunged into "kill or be killed" moments from the moment they wake up and are thrust into the game world without a moment to even shake their morning sleepiness off. Combine that with the fact that they are constantly finding and crafting new weapons, and encouraged by Ordis and the Lotus to do their job, it's entirely possible that Tenno could regard the lives of Grineer and Corpus as little more than a toy while considering their own existence and lack of pain as paramount, which is another means of flinging the door open to psychotic behavior. 

I might be sinking to the level of unimportant blathering here, but this is just another example of a trend that's been kind of bothering me lately. We all like strong and wise protagonists, but modern video games are increasingly throwing characters and especially player characters into situations where it's impossible to come away without some measure of psychological damage. I say again, our operators should not be this chill. Not by a long shot. 

Besides what CoolDude above said about them getting training and support before the game's start, you seem to be basing everything on the idea they have immature minds, when it's clear the Void has changed them psychologically. See the Rell webcomic. At minimum, they have a view of the world vastly different to what any child would, and that's talking right from the get-go, before any training or conditioning. That pretty much throws any psychoanalytical expectations out the window right from Zariman Ten-Zero expedition day one.