New player asking about weapons

(XBOX)LostSpark13

Question

Hello,

I am a new player and I need help to choose a new melee weapon.

I am still on my original load out and wish to have something with more reach and degats when going against infested. I like my Skana but when mobbed it's get overwhelmed. Preferably I would like a weapon I can keep a long while, it's not a problem is I have to progress a bit further in the game or have to work for it. I am still discovering stuff.

Does anyone have recommendations?

I'd appreciate explanations about them too.

Current equipment:

Volt 30, Mk1 Paris 23, Mk1 Kunai 26, Skana 30, Taxon 17, Artax 24, Odonata 2, Imperator 4. Mastery rank of 3.

I have access to all of Mercury and Venus, most of Earth and the start of Mars.

Thank you for helping a poor newbie that don't know where to start with all the choices on the market!

12 answers to this question

@Urlan

For now I am not sure since I have only played with my beginner equipment. So I do not know what I like best gameplay wise.

I am happy with my sneaky equipment and like being an assassin more than a stormtrooper. I will probably have to upgrade my Kunai degats once I get the right mod but I like them.

Stealth is fun but ultimately sound doesn't matter since I am looking for a melee weapon to deal with big aggressive groups the more rapidly possible with basic mods.

Edited by (XB1)LostSpark13
Autocorrect fail

12 minutes ago, (XB1)LostSpark13 said:

@Urlan

For now I am not sure since I have only played with my beginner equipment. So I do not know what I like best gameplay wise.

I am happy with my sneaky equipment and like being an assassin more than a stormtrooper. I will probably have to upgrade my Kunai degats once I get the right mod but I like them.

Stealth is fun but ultimately sound doesn't matter since I am looking for a melee weapon to deal with big aggressive groups the more rapidly possible with basic mods.

I would focus on trying out low mastery bows and working through them and trying kunai weapons like the Kunai, Spira, Despair, Hikou, and perhaps the Ballistica (Prime and Rakta) on charge attack. These feature innate silenced shots or you can use other high power secondaries with the Suppress mod later.  For primaries, consider the Rakta Cernos, Dread, and Paris Prime as long term goals for most stealth bow gameplay; the Attica and Zhuge might be useful considerations if you find you need a quick but still silent option.

A bow themed but ultimately launcher option that might still be fun is the Lenz; a very boomy so not so much stealth; but great for staying in theme of the Tech Ninja! As for melee; I would concur with the Galatine being a solid option before getting primes or syndicate weapons. Once you get a bit more Mastery, Zaw options might be worth researching as well; as while they will require a bit of investment and research using the wiki or asking players; you can make very strong but slow weapons or fast but not as strong weapons weighted towards critical or status and being able to have a few powerful enhancements called Exodia.

Do you have a particular enemy faction you want to prepare for specifically?

6 minutes ago, (XB1)LostSpark13 said:

I am looking for a melee weapon to deal with big aggressive groups the more rapidly possible with basic mods.

Pole-arms are really good for AoE quick-melee builds, and whips are really good for AoE slide-attack builds. These are generally made better by high end mods like Condition Overload or the Acolyte mods, but they function quite well without them as well. There's a bit more RNG involved in getting the absolute best out of these builds, since Primed Reach is too good to not use on them and is only available when Baro brings it, but a newer player shouldn't concern themselves with Primed anything until they get a good feel for what they want to invest their time into.

8 minutes ago, (XB1)LostSpark13 said:

like being an assassin more than a stormtrooper.

Hammers have the highest Finisher damage multiplier in the game, only beat out by a Dagger with the Covert Lethality mod since Finishing Touch is a waste of a slot, and they also have really good AoE combos for... Crushing Ruin stance if I remember correctly, so they would cater to both your asks. The catch is that combo builds do require Acolyte mods to really shine, on top of Stance mods which are often aggravatingly tedious to farm. It's definitely something to shoot for when you're a bit further along, though.

As I've said on other melee question threads as of late, my advice comes with the caveat that the upcoming Melee 3.0 patch might render it completely obsolete, so this isn't necessarily the best time to get deeply invested in Warframe's melee system. Take everyone's advice with a grain of salt, and don't make high risk decisions like buying expensive Prime weapons or especially Riven mods in Trade.

16 minutes ago, Urlan said:

Do you have a particular enemy faction you want to prepare for specifically?

Thank you for all the informations!

Like I said I my initial post I am mostly looking for something good against big aggressive groups of infested. I like my skana but it's overwhelmed against 10+ infested groups. Right now I have to electrocute them then hack a lot, while trying to manoeuvrer them in pile so I can hack them to dead faster. It's quite fastidious, especially with their energy vampires and poison clouds that requires moving so having to redo the piles of enemies.

6 minutes ago, Dreddeth said:

Pole-arms are really good for AoE quick-melee builds.

Hammers have the highest Finisher damage multiplier in the game, only beat out by a Dagger.

As I've said on other melee question threads as of late, my advice comes with the caveat that the upcoming Melee 3.0 patch might render it completely obsolete.

Wow I am definitely taking notes for later.

Right know I want a low level, easish to get, good at killing massive group melee weapon.

I won't commit to prime anything until I have tested every type of weapon at least.

Still taking note for later thought. I like the community on this game.

Spears: Tonbo, Lesion, Orthos Prime, Vaykor Sydon.

Two-handed swords: Galatine/Galatine Prime

Staffs: Tipedo, Bo Prime

Hammers: Jatt Kittag, Fragor Prime

Other weaponry: Atterax (whip), Cetus spears and staffs (lots of parts to make, but useful for a long time).

But aside from weapons, mods are the key to shredding almost everything at your path.

Edited by BlastedWay