Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There are no wheels in the Warframe universe

BEAS-2142

If you go to Cetus, you might imagine wheels being quite necessary for carrying around those large slabs of flesh, or wagons to carry home their fish or whatever. But no, there is not one single wheel in Cetus. Has anyone else noticed this? Does Warframe take place in an alternate universe, where the wheel was never invented?
Edit: There are lots and lots of wheels in Fortuna apparently lol. In fact theres even roads!

Edited by BEAS-2142
Fortuna

12 minutes ago, lukinu_u said:

1541357797-20181104195627-1.jpg

That's not a wheel but actually do the same job.

Tracks are used by the grineer quite a bit in places like Ceres and all that, but I'm talking about the simple wheel. An ancient culture, free of most technology like the Ostrons would presumably use the wheel though, right? Even with all that technology, like spaceships, you'd imagine the wheel wouldn't be obselete with a culture like the Ostrons.

Edited by BEAS-2142

Just now, CoolDudeMcCool said:

What about Corpus hijack missions? On that open defense/interception Corpus mission, there's another one of those vehicles in the snow but I don't know the tileset.

Those are tracks though, not really wheels. jennica-derksen-warframe-crpapc-a.jpg?1437456937

2 hours ago, Navarchus said:

Don't the Ceres wagons have wheels? 
unknown.png

It is true that the Grineer, the more industrious faction in warframe, is known for its adept use in machinery and need for the wheel, but considering that the Ostrons use balloons instead of simply using a wheel is...quite something. I'm thinking that the wheel wasn't invented in the Warframe universe till much later in humanity, when the Grineer came around (who needed the wheel to function).

2 hours ago, NinthAria said:

I was under the impression that most of the load-carrying work in Cetus was done via balloons. Past that...it's a small town so they probably just carry stuff.

Very true. But even despite the balloons, you would assume they would use a wheel somehow, right? Why would they use balloons over wheels anyway?

25 minutes ago, BEAS-2142 said:

Very true. But even despite the balloons, you would assume they would use a wheel somehow, right? Why would they use balloons over wheels anyway?

The balloons are likely necessary to harvest wall meat from the Tower, and local terrain makes wheels less appealing (unpaved paths, uneven stone steps, muddy terrain, etc.).

2 hours ago, BEAS-2142 said:

It is true that the Grineer, the more industrious faction in warframe, is known for its adept use in machinery and need for the wheel, but considering that the Ostrons use balloons instead of simply using a wheel is...quite something. I'm thinking that the wheel wasn't invented in the Warframe universe till much later in humanity, when the Grineer came around (who needed the wheel to function).

There was little need for wheels in the Orokin empire when you could just hover anywhere. K-boards where probably old people mobility scooters.

Cetus has little to no eletrical grid like corpus. Likely helped staying "dark" to avoid detection back when we where asleep.

10 hours ago, BEAS-2142 said:

If you go to Cetus, you might imagine wheels being quite necessary for carrying around those large slabs of flesh, or wagons to carry home their fish or whatever. But no, there is not one single wheel in Cetus. Has anyone else noticed this? Does Warframe take place in an alternate universe, where the wheel was never invented?

I find this funny and fascinating, but some people just want to feel right and smort

The gates of Cetus, judging by their sound, use wheels to release the lock before opening.

Though it seems to me that the Orokin have for some reason abandoned the wheel as a means of movement (they probably considered it ineffective). But the principle of the wheel was used in ayatans for example which are key objects in Orokin civilization.

As for Ostrons, they have degraded from a much more developed state, they knew space travel and where able to build massive spacecrafts, so they probably forgot wheels during their decadence period.

Well the Ostrons live a pretty simple existence. The plains aren't really that conducive to wheeled vehicles, (tracked yes, but regular wheels, no).

They farm, fish and make stuff to sell to visitors, as well as trade whatever we bring in from the plains.

They would only conceivably need wheeled transport for the huge whales / sharks they hunt, but those are processed quite close to Cetus, so maybe they just cut them into small enough chunks to carry?

What most surprises me is that we never see any fishing boats. Sure you can fish for small stuff on foot with a spear...but surely you'd need big whaling boats to catch the monsters you see hanging up in the docks?