Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy Scaling Conceptualization

BR34D

For a long time, I've been watching Warframe grow easier and easier with the introduction of stronger weapons, revisiting Frames to make them more useful and the general reduction in the grind to build said items (which makes little sense to me being it is a looter game). I also see this as a great way to ease in new players, but what concerns me is the lack of difficulty once players reach the 'end game'.

What I propose is an enemy scaling 2.5/3.0 of sorts. I do not see any reason to change the scaling factors of enemies before the level of 30 as this is part of what eases in new players, but beyond that, simply adding defensive strength does nothing, but encourage mass crowd control and armor removal techniques that are easily implemented and overly "cheese". Countering this super cheese is not only the best way to keep veteran players who want more of a struggle, but showing new players that there is something beyond what they are currently doing and just something new in general helps to hold interest. In order to counter this, I believe the scaling of the monsters beyond level 30 must be looked into.

First, the armor on grineer and the shields for corpus actually scale too high restricting weapon choices (infested health doesn't seem to be a big deal). These should have a non linear scale that grows much slower over time. In place of this defense loss, the mobs should be faster, in running and  weapon usage, and there should be increased chances to resist basic control techniques like blast damage. With this reduced chance of knock down they should also recover from status effects applied to them at an increased rate. After all, what is the point of wearing thick armor if you can't lift your face off the floor when you are tripped.

Second, I like the idea of eximus units very much, but they ended up underwhelming to say the least. Beyond simple de-buffs that don't really change much besides the energy leaches, it would be nice to see them having special characteristics befitting the title of 'elite'. For instance, a Shield Lancer Eximus could have immunity to knock down effects and 3 small pillar like shields that spin around the unit that are impervious to all damage that hits these shields. Something like this not only makes them stand out amongst their brethren as true elite soldiers, but makes them more identifiable and much more difficult to face. It would also be nice to see them slightly larger in stature.

Lastly, there seems to be a delay between the time the mobs see you to where they begin attacking. If this was intentional, I would like to see the delay reduced as enemies level. I don't believe it should exist beyond level 100. I laugh every time a Charger runs at me with full speed only to stop just before me and wait to attack.

As I see it a level 30 grineer should look as an ant does to a human to a Mastery Rank 30 Warframe (even though sticking your foot into a fire ants nest could mean your death). That being said, the difference in ranks and levels should still be respected. If you are facing an elite army with levels over 100, you should not so easily shrug them off.

While I agree with most words in OP, this topic is a clump of interwined threads: modding, scaling (enemy and us), damage system, energy economy. In order to solve the problem, DE would have to tackle all those mechanics at the same time. After 5 years with Warframe, I am confident to say that they have no time, creativity and more importantly desire to change anything related to this topic.

The most I expect are shallow fixes, like a new paint layer on a rusty car.