Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's Your keyboard?

Baterial

16 hours ago, (XB1)falconpwnch0234 said:

Right now i have a basic keyboard, but i plan on getting the Corsair K55 RGB at some point.

I had that previously. Decent keyboard, but the keys were a bit too loud & clicky for my liking. Felt a bit too wobbly as well...particularly the space bar.

Currently using the Logitech G810. Uses Romer G keyswitches instead of Cherry. Bit quieter and feel more solid / responsive IMO.

A pair of Microsoft Naturals. Both are quite old, but I vastly prefer a split keyboard and the original Natural was by far the best of the lot. 

I still curse the day MS discontinued these. I had a stock of them, but...should have bought more and they don't last forever. 

When these two buy a farm, I'm not sure what I'll replace them with. 

1 hour ago, Legion-Shields said:

What are the benefits of having a mechanical keyboard? Beyond cool factor of course.

The keys are nice and clicky. You get both sound and tactile feedback when you press a key--you KNOW your input just happened. 

They are very pleasant to use. Of course, I'm saying this from the perspective of using membrane keyboards for my gaming--and I'm typing this on a tiny chiclet keyboard attached to my Surface. I wish this thing was mechanical with real key movement and feedback.

A Razer Blackwidow. Don't know remember the specific name of it though. I am looking to get a new one later on though. While I love the feel of typing/playing on it, the sound gets a bit annoying. Just want the feel without the sound on my next keyboard.

23 minutes ago, Sloan441 said:

The keys are nice and clicky. You get both sound and tactile feedback when you press a key--you KNOW your input just happened. 

They are very pleasant to use. Of course, I'm saying this from the perspective of using membrane keyboards for my gaming--and I'm typing this on a tiny chiclet keyboard attached to my Surface. I wish this thing was mechanical with real key movement and feedback.

Alright thanks. I read somewhere that they were supposed to last longer but I’ve got a laptop from 2012 with a membrane keyboard that still works flawlessly, so I wasn’t sure if there was anything else. 

I'm using the Roccat Ryos MK Pro, it's awful, each key is individually backlit and I'm left with around 10 random backlit keys, the rest have gone out, it's barely a year old, the macro programming was iffy too, plus no new updates for years, I'd avoid it like a propane gas bottle on a bonfire if you're in the market for a new keyboard.

Before that I had a cheap £5 logitech basic thing, lasted me 4 years or so until the W button broke, would be still using it now if it weren't for that. 😃

4 hours ago, Legion-Shields said:

What are the benefits of having a mechanical keyboard? Beyond cool factor of course.

Weirdly I prefer chiclet keyboards for typing. I just find I can type faster with them - less key travel - quicker response.

However, for gaming, there is just something about mechanical keyboards. Its actually nicer to have clicky keys with a bit more travel. Just more reassuring and you can feel you made a positive key press a lot better IMO. Less prone to accidentally pressing keys you don't intend to.

20 hours ago, Legion-Shields said:

I read somewhere that they were supposed to last longer but I’ve got a laptop from 2012 with a membrane keyboard that still works flawlessly, so I wasn’t sure if there was anything else. 

They might. They are generally user maintainable, at least to some degree, and membrane keyboards are not.

The main thing is to avoid abusing them unnecessarily. Don't eat and drink around them (this weighs heavily on me--a spill killed one, old Coke was the vector), don't store things over them that can fall on them (this killed two of mine), and don't let anyone else use or borrow them. 

My last two Naturals are going on 9 and 11 years of use. They're still going strong. This one that I'm typing on now (the white one), has better key feel than its black compatriot. Some are simply better than others. The black one looks better, but the white one has better keys. Go figure. 

When one or both finally bite the dust, I will probably get a mechanical keyboard. Actually, it'll most likely be more than one. I've seen a few models that look pretty good, but you really don't know what they're going to be like until you're using them. I've been a long time Razer mouse user, so I'd lean towards Razer, but there are a few others I've seen that are tempting. The CTRL keyboard is one that looks interesting, but it lacks a number pad which might be problematic for me. 

Like I said, you have to decide what you want and commit. You might not get it right the first time...or two. That could get expensive. 

20 hours ago, Zyneris said:

Razer BlackWidow, I've tried using an MSI keyboard (<-- work pc) but could absolutely not get in to it. I've also used a Logitech Gsomething which was really nice as well.

But yeah, have to say my Razer is absolute love. 

I like Razer...but there are too many games I play that seem to screw up the lighting, or turn it off altogether. Hence my switch to Logitech.