Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why all frames were human big theory

-ViperStrike-

Spoiler

I have seen some interesting topics talking about the Umbra whole context, since he was a human before turning into a Warframe with the infestation playing a major role on that. Rising questions about if the other frames were people too and if Warframes are actually all based on other people just as well. The answer is yes of course and not too shocking since trans-humanism is everywhere on the lore.

But the coolest threads were already locked and I never managed to participate and I think it is time to create some ultimate connection with something I'll be calling Digital Extremes universe which they seem to deny themselves. Who was Excalibur anyway and why these warriors became like that are partially answered on a quest, but the real meaning must be deeper. For Dark Sector fans like me, that revelation was old news or if I'm all wrong, not surprising anyway. My friends got upset with me because I wasn't surprised after the quest. I was expecting even before The Sacrifice quest because a infected guy called Hayden was the first one, but if I'm right then Hayden never fully saved the world... if that was ever his intentions, but he did managed to save himself. Down the text you'll find a total of 7 main theories I numbered so we can address. Mind all the links if you will, I didn't want to pollute the text with running videos and screenies so I did hyperlinks instead.

As a reminder, your blue mom doesn't just call you ''Tenno'' for no reason. Tenno stands for Hayden Tenno, his surname that everyone ignores daily. Why the name persists is easy to fathom. Some ka-billion years in the past after Hayden's infiltration on the Gulag and subsequent havoc of Lasria, his name and tactics (and many other stuff) managed to survive history because they were prominent enough and got to shape the futuristic setting of Warframe. Everything after Lasria and the massive infection shaped the future, different lifeforms leaves Earth looking alien. Any event that happened theoretically after Dark Sector's ending caused reactions even if not directly related to the Orokin Empire which may be related to Alien findings or uplifting, it still is a consequence. The plot is always shadowy about it because time corrodes everything... so many millenniums have gone that even the sun looks red and smaller.

Let us not confuse The Tenno with the ''Dax'' caste of warriors which theoretically may have turned into Frames after later events, but origins in a distant future aren't solely coming from a single source. I may also remind you that The Tenno are "the saboteur of the wicked", but they were always the saboteurs. Hayden's was a CIA operative. His sneaky methods of engaging the enemy survived that long because Hayden became a exemplary warrior discipline for the Orokin to research in a far future. Hayden's buying and selling weapons underground Lasria also did so, the Tenno still relies on the same technique. Equipping, arming, combining powers, buying and selling and negotiating proved to be efficient in order progress and acting independently regardless of being a member of something. Hayden gantlet eventually congeal into The Tenno (combining with the Dax later) and so the concept was born centuries before the Orokin even existed.

Hell, Darvo might even be the reincarnation of Yargo the black market vendor from Lasria. Or at least his closest relative. Half million years old family really enjoys selling weapons.

Before anyone shouts - Dark Sector isn't canon! I just want to leave it here for the sake of future Googling that there are evidences scattered around Warframe proving that you're wrong and they're not just some cameo neither, because this is an experimental process of storytelling. ''Cameo'' is just a very silly name given to something artistically brilliant. You stablish things so systematically like that and you'd be damaging a more sophisticated fun. Star Wars used to do that in the past without any trouble. The old Republic ships naturally looked like ancient rebel wings before conception. No explanation were given, it is just up to your perception. The same happens on Warframe. When people call a living node just a cameo, as a whole, the sense of the living consequential universe weakens. Intuitive direction leads to a believable universe. Accident happens, beta versions intended to have things that are now scrapped, but unintentional plots may show up from writing too, but that's the creepiest/coolest part of all stories don't you think?

The Grineer sounds and looks like the Russian maulers you fight in the Dark Sector. It isn't Russian but totally sounds like them and why not even Corpus' accent and writing are related, old human religion and culture also survived meaning that these factions may have split after Hayden's story. Theory 1 Centuries after the first outbreak and after developing space-faring to scape a dead Earth, mankind survivors went away. Just to return to the Solar System thousands years later (now called The Origin System) ironically to scape another threat The Sentient from the Tau System. Orokin, the new trans-human did a research upon us, the old mankind, just to find all the old things that could be useful again to fight the new threat... or so they thought. Including old warriors denominated as ''marines'', that was a poor choice from the Orokin. The Grineer even still make use of the Shield Soldiers too. In Dark Sector the Shield Soldiers were one the hardest moments of fighting in the game. Plot wise the Grineer does what old humans did best - pollute, overpopulate, kill and get mad. My point is, whatever happened after Dark Sector the way I see it, it wasn't anything pretty for the old humanity and specially for Hayden. Not just good things came out of Orokin research of the Origin System apart from another outbreak itself. Our sworn enemy The Stalker, somehow managed to remain as bad genetics even after all these millenniums.

Theory 2 The Warframes are literally reverse engineering of the Technocyte virus (T-Cyte for lovers) and the infestation a mere evolution of it, or much closer to its unknown origins rather than just ''genetically engineered'' as stated by the Orokin description. The Warframes are a heavy modification of the metallic biomass - the T-Cyte main manifestation over the host body. As The Sacrifice suggests and even reveals, Frames are actually undead slaves remote controlled by Operators due the instability of the infestation which they originate from and contained inside power armors that empowers all the features from the host of the virus, mass cloning organics and mass building chassis because they're hybrid cyborgs and more. But no one needed to control Hayden Tenno even though he had raw biomass, but all other infected people Hayden found have gone either mad or out of control including Nadia Sudek. Yet the T-Cyte wasn't just causing some animality like you see on the infestation, they could boost the host psychic abilities too so its origins may be more complex than firstly thought. You may know the infestation on Warframe for their zombie-insect-zerg likeness but on Dark Sector they were slowly becoming that and generic infested people looked like that. Any similarity with Warframe isn't a mere coincidence. Although horrific, T-Cyte wasn't just some crazy disease, it must have an intelligent sinister design within before Soviet and American research. As you can hear Helminth, Phorid and Lephantis talking about loving their mutated brotherhood in a very creepy way just like Robert Mezner did to Hayden at the end, ''you are one of us" even the way an infested individual speaks, in creepy riddles, that still is alive on Warframe post-Orokin age.

Enigma: The T-Cyte wasn't just some sort of Chernobyl-like mutation like you were led to believe on Dark Sector or just some back-firing bio weapon from the Orokin you're led on Warframe, man-made stuff. It is later known that Robert Mezner, the main antagonist firstly found the virus on a infested USA submarine ashore Lasria the fictional country near Russia and started his apocalypse from there. How that American submarine ever got contaminated on the 80s, apart that the USA did messed with it, it remains a mystery to this very date; Theory 3 Although nothing shows up as The Sentient being alien to mankind but a product of the Orokin they may be related to real aliens over Tau's anomalies that could have been found during terra-forming. A strange pattern is in the air. The infestation might have been used/created by unknown aliens from Tau System on a very distant past to fight (also becoming their demise) just as the Orokin did in a self-destructive cycle that just sounds like the infestation goals. The Orokin never just found the infestation, they found the Hayden Tenno history somewhere. The infestation came after that, the weapon to contain was hardly containable. The Tenno transference is a replica, an emulation of what only Hayden could theoretically perform singlehandedly: total self-control while being the host of the T-Cyte virus. Isn't that something.

Mystery: Hayden was the first to control the virus he got infected with and did put all the growing biomass into some good use, unlike Mezner that became more like a Kraken or Hydra-monstrosity, he became more like a Hydrolist. Hydro what? Ocean...? what's up with Infestation, Sentient and the Orokin's thing with water? I have no answer on why water is present so frequently on Warframe's universe but I can guess. Space magic, let us not forget about the void.

The In-Game description on Warframe about the Infested follows at the last line - Its origins are uncertain but there is historical evidence of a similar outbreak before The Collapse. The T-Cyte virus over Dark Sector wiki description calls it - It is said that sometime after Hayden's adventure in Lasria, the virus killed most of Earth's life, in an incident known as "The Great Plague". It is clear to me that the ''Collapse'' refers to the fall of the Orokin. So anything "before" that I'll consider it to be before everything even before the space-faring age. Using some old virus found on Earth to fight the Sentient was probably an act out of desperation.

I have seen people asking why Frames feels no pain (you don't hear your frame screaming when bullets are hitting like the usual games does) Let us not forget that Mezner was already trying to reverse engineering after finding it, but not even Mezner managed to get rid of the collateral effect. It means the T-Cyte deludes the host into believing he is on control but fatally leads to insanity. Are you connecting the dots? Well, firstly, it wouldn't be very smart to create weapons that can feel pain so that's good. But the biomass back on Dark Sector wasn't just giving people super-powers but also pain inhibition. That sounds awesome but not having any pain totally came at the cost of Hayden's humanity, (Warframe's point about it like Lotus betrayal and Ballas situation) and Hayden can be seen as a heckles guilty individual through Dark's plot. Whatever it was, the virus never really got destroyed, but neither the warrior(s) fighting them with it. Theory 4 Hayden made use of environmental energies all done with his glaive by impacting electrical fences and fire and sometimes combining them... a very primitive form of abilities now mastered by the Tenno it all started with Hayden's ingenuity. I think Hayden might have created some sort of mutant-league-academy-something in the past for other people hosting the virus like him (lol) to assure people would survive during The Great Plague outbreak since the ending isn't happy, it isn't really hard to imagine that. The cooperative and teaming nature of The Tenno aren't just from Orokin ways of life. Hayden must have trained others to control it - but I think he may have failed at that to some extent. The effects of The Void over most individuals are similar to the anyone hosting T-Cyte, madness is guarantee to happen eventually so something relates.

So why the virus survived just to become the infestation? The Orokin lost the control after awakening the T-Cyte again. Theory 5 The virus is probably the old ''Alien eggs not meant to be disturbed but you will ignore the warning anyway'' kinda case. Dark Sector's ending isn't really about the noble hero walking on the sunshine, it is actually threatening to see him walking so instinctively waiting for his glaive to return like he doesn't give two nanospores about it, but even if ''The great plague'' destroyed most of the world later Hayden never really became evil.

The question is, why Excalibur Umbra became untamed by both exterior forces, transference and virus? The virus is an intelligence and must be part of a design. Why it was found on water may or may not be a mere accident, it could be that ''intelligence'' preferred habitat and if not, extra-dimensional relation with water. Hayden's will to resist the madness was a talent that just survived generations. Ever noticed how Warframe storytelling seems to have some melancholia revolving around operators and frames? Well it is actually really sad. What the Orokin research did to these fighters  whoever they were was just bad, probably without the host's consent, just like slavery. Just look at Umbra's fate. He managed to rebel but not the others. This lends us to my Sixth Theory If the Excalibur are Hayden's clones, and if you assume Excalibur's Proto Skin mysterious plot then Umbra must be a distant descendant. I'm glad to think that Dark Sector's hero self-awareness and determination kept on going on Umbra. The good genes or maybe his soul kept on going many generations before him. The other frames/warriors shows potential, like fighting Hunhow without transference, but still isn't the right Hayden will. The man was born to be a T-Cyte warrior and don't need no Operator.

Most interestingly though are the power-armors done by the enemies that you can see in the ending levels of Dark Sector. If the Hayden's Proto-Excalibur was the first conceptual frame then The Nemesis was the second one, because both frames Excalibur and Nyx shares the same design. Nadia Sudek was the only female character back then and she became the T-Cyte variation known as Nemesis - note the curious design on its helmet, Theory 7 Nemesis is a primitive Nyx just as Hayden is a primitive Excalibur which it turns out to be a toned down Umbra. When I first played Dark Sector many years ago, my first thoughts were confusing and Warframe wasn't released yet. Dark Sector players will remember and agree with me, your first thoughts were like ''they're doing armors with the biomass now? Why they don't move by themselves?" It was never stated in-game but they weren't just background decor, Mezner's research has gotten much more far than it was firstly anticipated. DE is really good at relative plot revealing, they always were, because the player can assume interpretation - if they ever find it that is and it is just damn fun. Sorry, no links to prove that you're going to have to play Dark Sector to see these armors.

My stats tells me Saryn is my main, very useful when I just want to hit and run and farm quickly. By now I have developed a sense of caring for her like I do with real pets out here. Now that you did laughed at me, let me tell you. You've seen the other quests, your other frame managed to walk alone and carry its own operator on its arms too. Freedom is awakening on them once again. Don't worry my poisonous queen I will free you too... some day. It could be part of some sort of evolution due the operator's awakening from the capsules - they were not meant to be free neither. Or maybe this is just a inspirited influence of the Japanese art where the user of the armor always has some sort of space-magic bound with his gear, so that cool too. But Warframe is more to Kamen Rider than Saint Seiya I guess.

End of my bible. Thank you guys I see you on Fortuna soon. For some reason Venus still looks red-hot outside but it is freezing cold inside.

Edited by CyberGothic
Hidden box fix, Spoiler tag fix, Title fix

Preeettty sure the devs deconfirmed Dark Sector's canonicity. I can't find the source right now, but you can't get any more deconfirmed then that.

If you want to dredge up this: 

Or other times they confirmed it, they changed their minds later. Again, I can't find the exact source but I'm pretty sure they did. I'm sure someone can find the exact place.

Best-case-scenario: events similar to Dark Sector may have taken place, but the exact events of that game did not. So, for example there may have been A Hayden Tenno, who used a Glaive and a suit similar to Excalibur in appearance who inspired Excalibur's design in Warframes time, but he did not go through the events of Dark Sector.

2 minutes ago, Tsoe said:

ALso , the dark sector you played isnt the real dark sector project

this is the one

this is the canon , listen well

No, this inspired the Canon. It's clearly a different game though. Grineer on a Corpus Ship, Warframes having humans in them etc...

Though, in a fun twist, the giant ship seen in the start does go on to be the canon design of the Zariman. So, that's neat.

il y a 1 minute, Loza03 a dit :

No, this inspired the Canon. It's clearly a different game though. Grineer on a Corpus Ship, Warframes having humans in them etc...

Though, in a fun twist, the giant ship seen in the start does go on to be the canon design of the Zariman. So, that's neat.

dual lato , radial disarm , braton... Proto excalibur

well Warframe is a mix of Dark sector and Dark sector

Both are cannon and neither are

Just now, Tsoe said:

dual lato , radial disarm , braton... Proto excalibur

well Warframe is a mix of Dark sector and Dark sector

Both are cannon and neither are

Aklato yes. But also...

Radial Disarm used by Hayden, the Braton used by a Grineer that's significantly more technologically advanced than our Grineer, aboard a Corpus Ship, a Smoother version of the Proto-Excalibur seen in Dark Sector, the Void being referred to as the 'Dark Sector' when those two terms mean different things in Warframe, the 'Warframe' being a suit, the Liset being piloted by another human, and the 'Tenno' being an Adult, not a child.

This is demonstrably a completely different canon to either game. This concept inspired Warframe's canon, but nothing more.

SPOILERS:

Well Ballas did say he was going to go down Umbra's family line more or less...I wouldn't be surprised if the Stalker was Umbra's Son that we saw him supposedly murder...My guess is each of the original line up is based on someone who ran afoul or stood against Ballas and his rage and need for revenge...most likely making a mockery of them by focusing on their personalities and enshrining them in Infested flesh and Warframe armor...

Some of the more bizarre looking frames like Nekros might be based on later foes in the timeline perhaps from the earlier Grineer bosses...then you have Inaros so perhaps by then the technology and knowledge of how to construct a Warframe was more common place and you saw heroes being enshrined, but for different reasons...

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

28 minutes ago, Raqiya said:

Gonna add a spoiler tag?

I did a few seconds after posting, I didn't know I had to add the whole text in the tag box.

13 minutes ago, Tsoe said:

neat was fun to read

i am an oldfan as well and well , why not make sense kind of

We do have PRoto  (hayden) and Nemesis skin

Thanks friend I'm glad it was fun, I had tons of fun it writing too. I forgot about the Nemesis Skin but I'm always focusing so much on Hayden I forgot to relate it. It is cool to read these skin texts inside Warframe arsenal so some sense is pairing.

14 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Preeettty sure the devs deconfirmed Dark Sector's canonicity. I can't find the source right now, but you can't get any more deconfirmed then that.

There is a mystery when writing stories, coincidences starts to show up wether or not they're intentional. My brain can't unsee Dark Sector past in Warframe so my theory is just a very big ventilation of that so I can put it to rest.

10 minutes ago, mikakor said:

Have you made the sacrifice quest...? Just asking, you might get your answer to your theory.

Wait, much bigger wall of text than expected...hmmm...

It is too complex I believe, especially regarding the T-Cyte issue. Warframe is already 5 years old so it deserves an big wall of crazy ideas. I hope this inspire better writers and better theories than mine lol

2 minutes ago, CyberGothic said:

There is a mystery when writing stories, coincidences starts to show up wether or not they're intentional. My brain can't unsee Dark Sector past in Warframe so my theory is just a very big ventilation of that so I can put it to rest.

Fair enough.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

SPOILERS:

Well Ballas did say he was going to go down Umbra's family line more or less...I wouldn't be surprised if the Stalker wasn't Umbra's Son that we saw him supposedly murder...My guess is each of the original line up is based on someone who ran afoul or stood against Ballas and his rage and need for revenge...most likely making a mockery of them by focusing on their personalities and enshrining them in Infested flesh and Warframe armor...

Some of the more bizarre looking frames like Nekros might be based on later foes in the timeline perhaps from the earlier Grineer bosses...then you have Inaros so perhaps by then the technology and knowledge of how to construct a Warframe was more common place and you saw heroes being enshrined, but for different reasons...

I liked your ideas and I totally forgot to mention about Umbra's lineage except for going for guessing his first lines, it was getting to big anyway but the idea to explore that is good. Nekros and Harrow can also hold almost all answers about the real thing because both deals directly with life and death and the direct manipulation of void energies.

The Primes were people turned Warframe, the ones we build are made from infested mass, that we use blue prints from those original prime frames to make. Which is why we are able to rebuild Umbra, memories and all, after he was destroyed at the start of Sacrifice. 

14 minutes ago, Senketsu_ said:

The Primes were people turned Warframe, the ones we build are made from infested mass, that we use blue prints from those original prime frames to make. Which is why we are able to rebuild Umbra, memories and all, after he was destroyed at the start of Sacrifice. 

Wasn't the Primes already mass cloned and built for war? Both primes of nowadays are just the same process and the common version of frames a tuned down version without the Orokin craftsmanship. Only a single human warrior spawned a series of its own model afterwards which they're based though either way.

Just now, CyberGothic said:

Wasn't the Primes already mass cloned and built for war? Both primes of nowadays are just the same process and the common version of frames a tuned down version without the Orokin craftsmanship. Only a single human warrior spawned a series of its own model afterwards which they're based though either way.

nope, with the Sacrifice, it has been made clear that ALL warframe ( at least primed ) were humans first. they were turned into warframe. Willingly ( volonter ) or not.

4 minutes ago, CyberGothic said:

They were mass produced using the Helminth infestation strain and blueprints. But the Original Frame(primes) were made from a unique person per warframe, to which the blueprints were made from. A good example is from Mirage Primes trailer. 

50 minutes ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

SPOILERS:

...then you have Inaros so perhaps by then the technology and knowledge of how to construct a Warframe was more common place and you saw heroes being enshrined, but for different reasons...

I was thinking, wasn't Inaros a Martian? Not a human colonist but actual Martian? Not that the frame design needs to reveal anything but Inaros really looks different not to mention his lack of usual things like shield. Previous civilization existed before humans went to there as seen on the landscape. I would love to explore that XD

5 minutes ago, Senketsu_ said:

They were mass produced using the Helminth infestation strain and blueprints. But the Original Frame(primes) were made from a unique person per warframe, to which the blueprints were made from. A good example is from Mirage Primes trailer. 

10 minutes ago, mikakor said:

nope, with the Sacrifice, it has been made clear that ALL warframe ( at least primed ) were humans first. they were turned into warframe. Willingly ( volonter ) or not.

You both are saying the same as I'm only with different takes. Mikakor literally did the resume of it too. I'll try to put it more clear, when I'm on a mission I can see you using Mirage Prime and another Tenno is also using her. They're mass cloned and produced - today. If they weren't like that in the prime age, then it is interesting to explore and even more revealing. My theory is more worried to show that this human to frame thing is way more ancient.

Edited by CyberGothic

Um...

I read a small portion of the OP, whom went into TONS of lore detail I never knew.

But... I already knew Warframes were once "humans" (or, more accurately, people in general)... Is this not basically already explained when we play through the main storyline and hear Ballas's notes, or whatever??? Did some people NOT pick up on this???

3 minutes ago, 4thBro said:

Um...

I read a small portion of the OP, whom went into TONS of lore detail I never knew.

But... I already knew Warframes were once "humans" (or, more accurately, people in general)... Is this not basically already explained when we play through the main storyline and hear Ballas's notes, or whatever??? Did some people NOT pick up on this???

Hey, yep I did and almost everyone who played the quests

What bugs me is that the Orokin probably found out somehow what The Great Plague did to some capable individuals lets put it like that. It looks like to me that they didn't had the original people-to-frame idea, but they couldn't replicate Hayden's until they could develop the transference. It must be something revolving around that.

The game pretty clearly confirms in the quest that Warframes were created from human subjects infected with the Helminth,

so i would not call it a theory anymore.

Dark Sector if connected to Warframe, makes it look liken the world should have already been overrun with technocyte beings, but this was not the case in Warframe, where people are already space travelers and the Infested is only produced to fight against their technology hijacking drones who turned on the Orokin.

Proto skin has no real relevance in the the actual game at the moment, no one references it. Its a simple nod to Dark Sectors fans at this point, with a description just vague enough so as not to have to actually validate Hayden Tenno or that game as it happened.

If anything, Warframe is based more on the original space centric Dark Sector prototype, as opposed to that more modern, terrestrial world version that came out and revolved around a CIA agent, so if it would be any Hayden Tenno they make canon then it is likely that conceptual one from the prototype demo.

Otherwise Tenno's naming convention has been retconned to have nothing to do with him.

They are called Tenno as a reference to the Zariman 10-0 they were found on.

22 hours ago, CyberGothic said:

You both are saying the same as I'm only with different takes. Mikakor literally did the resume of it too. I'll try to put it more clear, when I'm on a mission I can see you using Mirage Prime and another Tenno is also using her. They're mass cloned and produced - today. If they weren't like that in the prime age, then it is interesting to explore and even more revealing. My theory is more worried to show that this human to frame thing is way more ancient.

There is nothing to say that only one type of frame can manifest from only one person though. If Ballas wanted to have more than one Saryn power frame to manifest through mutiple people, he likely well could, regardless of the origin of the prime. Warframes actually being people who could act independently is why Tenno were used to calm them. It seems to hold truth even now as the Warframe acted on its own in The Second Dream. I blame being cryfrozen for so long, for some of the frames' catatonic state at present(Remember, most were Cryofrozen and from the Orokin era.) sans the likes of Limbo or Inaros in the specific quests, until further quest developments that is.

Edited by UrielColtan

Even if we put aside everything we know from quests, why would a machine of war resemble a human, if it wasn't made in human image (so to be used by or from a human) or was planned to be integrated into human society?

Look at Corpus proxies, they are machines first, meaning they were designed for specific purposes, and when you do that, you don't have to nor do you need to repeat the human frame, because it's not the most efficient form for war, arguably. Sentients are not human-like as well.