Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: locking riven stats

Zi-Sui

I had an idea how locking riven stats might work without making powercreep much more widespread and the grind much worse.

You would not be able to trade riven once stat had been locked. This would somewhat preserve the value of rivens. The value of rivens would be furthermore preserved by how hard it is to lock a stat. The numbers below are just suggestions and could be adjusted one way or another.

To lock a stat, you'd have to get 10 transmutation cores from eidolon hydrolyst, that's 5 hydro caps. And that's the easy part. The hard part is, you need to use one core to "build" a lock on the stat you rolled. I say build because you need to do that 10 times on different rolls which have the stat you chose. For example, you want critical chance for Rubico riven, you roll it until you get a roll which has cc and build lock on the stat once. Then you reroll it again until cc appears and you build lock on it again. For 10 times total. This could easily take hundreds of rolls so it might be sensible to reduce the requirement to 5 times instead of 10, or maybe even less.

And I don't know if you should be able to lock more than one stat, maybe one positive and one negative.

This system would let you see some light in the end of the riven tunnel and give a reason to grind it other than that overly RNG:d RNG. User @Buff00n calculated in other topic that likelihood to roll a Lanka riven with cd ms -zoom and either heat, electricity or cc is 1:50000. That's beyond all stupid we have in game. We should get something to make those odds more favorable.

If this was implemented in any form, people would buy more boosters to grind kuva and that would even out the drop in riven prices as well as make quite a bit of platinum exit the market, which would very slightly cheapen the prices across the board and platinum would become more desirable to buy, which benefits both DE and new players with jobs. It would also greatly reduce the riven whine.

You'd end up in a situation where much fewer Rivens will exchange hands.

Since rather than trade for that god roll, you just get Any riven for your desired weapon.

Then the locking (aka stat picking) feature lets you build more or less anything you want easily.

with no more reason to go buy that god roll from someone else; market value of rivens goes down.

So:

less grind

less trading

lower riven values

All of these things are bad from DE's prespective, they get paid from plat sales, and those things decrease the motivation to buy plat.

your last line about lower riven prices = more desire to buy platinum doesn't follow. I'd expect the exact opposite to occur.

1 hour ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

You'd end up in a situation where much fewer Rivens will exchange hands.

Since rather than trade for that god roll, you just get Any riven for your desired weapon.

Then the locking (aka stat picking) feature lets you build more or less anything you want easily.

I disagree, just as much rivens would still exchange owners because you want rivens for spesific weapons, not just any weapons, and even with transmuting you're very unlikely to get one without trading.

Also you don't seem to consider that I said numbers are up for adjustment. You could adjust them high enough to deter too easy stat locking. You don't instantly get a riven for your desired weapon, and you don't instantly get a god roll with this system. It would still take by average over 100 rolls to get a god roll riven even if you would lock a stat and not count the rolls it took you to lock that stat. How is that too much?

Please don't assume stat locking would be easy. If you read the numbers I provided and have a grasp of the likelihood of the stat appearing, you would realize it's far from easy with those numbers.

So I consider all my points standing.

To clarify, I'm suggesting a system where it would take people the same amount of time or even more than what they spend on rivens now to get results, but this system would have a much bigger quarantee of results. People would still get god rolls and the like without this system and sell them and there would be buyers because people don't wanna do this for hundreds of hours which is pretty much required with the numbers I provided.

Edited by GOOFBALL1

I agree with what haphazardlynamed said. Locking a riven stat, even the mere ability to do so is highly dangerous to the riven market.

No matter how hard you have to grind to lock a stat the fact that you can will drastically lower demand for god rolls. 

The riven system exists on a foundation of RNG on top of RNG and that balance should not be disturbed.