Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to Provide Good Constructive Feedback: A Dev’s Story

Marcooose

6 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

The best feedback occurs when two people discuss opposing viewpoints to find a constructive middle ground.

I would be careful about the Middle Ground Fallacy, though. There are many cases just in this game where fixes have lead to Warframes and weapons becoming useless or killing machines for unforeseen reasons, so I would take gameplay changes slowly but certainly only if people are able to reproduce consistent statistics in why said Warframe or weapon should be altered.

1 hour ago, Jax_Cavalera said:

I wonder if the development team could benefit from feedback posts being framed as a user story with potential acceptance criteria they feel are not yet met, structured as Gherkin or a similar BDD type Given -> When -> Then phrasing?

Be quite interesting and helpful to learn a little more about the flow of steps a bug / feature goes through starting at a feedback post here to something implemented into the game.

I would agree. It is beneficial to the actual members who have to correct issues in the coding or in the art assets on what is wrong and what exactly did it take to receive the issues- (what platform or PC hardware specs do you play on, what is your progression in the story, etc.)

5 hours ago, D20 said:

More details on how to write and handle your feedback thread :

Title :

First of all, the title of your thread should be relevant of its content. You're not going to call a thread about armor scaling "I love Kubrows", and uninformative or demending titles should be avoided. Naming your thread something along the lines of "DE pls" is a terrible idea since it won't give to the reader any idea of the subject of your thread in addition to make you look quite entitled. Putting insults in your thread title out of spite is an even worse idea.

Content :

Like any other section of the forums, respect and constructivity are the masterwords. Better avoid any kind of profanity and personal attacks in your thread. It's quite simple : if you make yourself sound entitled, agressive, jaded or snarky, you won't be taken seriously. You definitely don't want this to happen. This is why it can be a good idea to wait a bit before starting to write your feedback after an unpleasent moment in game. You absolutely DON'T want to sound angry on your keyboard, trust me.

Feedback is not just about saying what you dislike : it's also about suggesting improvements. A very efficient way to provide feedback is to first mention something you find wrong, then suggesting a way to fix it. Rince and repeat until you listed everything you thought could use improvement. You are also welcome to talk breifly about the stuff you liked : that kind of information may also be interesting to know.

Basic formatting, good spelling and correct grammar are no-brainers when it comes about making a decent thread. Don't expect people to read your post if you don't make paragraphs, don't use punctuation or make way too much spelling mistakes. Other users will be very quick to criticize you for your writing and outright ignore your thread. You don't want this to happen too. If you're afraid of your english not being good enough, don't hesitate to ask a friend to review your feedback thread before posting. Making a draft is always a good idea.

After writing :

Once your feedback thread is posted, you will have to sustain it by defending your ideas, keeping it up to date and replying to other users. Remain as respectful as possible and try to answer people as much as you can in the most constructive way possible. The more your post will keep going peacefully, the better it is. Don't try to absolutely convince everyone at all cost, it usually won't work and it's the best way to get someone angry. If you ever come across some people who sound a bit too agressive and you're afraid about them derailing the thread, avoid to answer them and report them if necessary.

Thank you, I think this is what should have been stated in the first post. With that said, you do have a few spelling and grammatical errors in this post, but fortunately I can forgive such errors.

Likewise I'm hoping that you will pick topics with well-written constructive feedback as a priority read before those who just rant and insult. It's easy to be overwhelm by such waves of negativity, and I understand it, which is why it's even more important the good topics aren't accidentally ignored just from being drown by those that aren't.

Good luck DE! And remember we all lift together.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jax_Cavalera said:

I wonder if the development team could benefit from feedback posts being framed as a user story with potential acceptance criteria they feel are not yet met, structured as Gherkin or a similar BDD type Given -> When -> Then phrasing?

Be quite interesting and helpful to learn a little more about the flow of steps a bug / feature goes through starting at a feedback post here to something implemented into the game.

Perhaps ETA's in a constructive article or short story without vague and unclear with limited information on bug resolution or contrary wordings and misspellings since we are making guidelines?

vor 14 Stunden schrieb -QUILL_PETER-:

Typing this out in it's entirety should be mandatory for creating a Forum account, presumably with some sort of anti-copypasta measure.

I would go as far as restricting the Ability to create new Topics for Players hat haven't reached MR 3.

With each Big Update there are so many new players spamming the same questions/ideas to rework frames that are fully functional that the feedback sections turn into a new player Wishlist without context rather than constructive Feedback on game mechanics/weapons/frames. And Actual Feedback Threads are getting pushed back to page 3-5 in like 30min - 2h so even if you are interested it is quite difficult to find those threads.

Also if it is possible, DE could add an Autosearch for existing (Mega)threads when someone is giving his/her Thread a Header, with a notification that they can contribute to one of those Threads/the Megathread or their topic might be merged with one of those.

This would prevent alot of those "my thread was deleted .... Oh... It was merged with the Megathread...why?"-Threads.