Modular melee, now secondary, any chance for modular warframe?

zteeldragon

From a gameplay perspective, there are way too many things to fiddle with and balance. The ability to attach whatever abilities you want out of a hypothetical selection, to whatever base stats you want out of another hypothetical selection, could very easily lead to problem after problem with this mechanic or that. We'd need an absolute raft of if-then clauses and other such things to properly ensure that some random unintended interaction doesn't become the next major cheese factor.

From a flavor perspective, warframes are like the TF2 classes or Overwatch characters in that each is as much their own character as a barely sentient puppet can be, with their own strongly distinct aesthetic and mannerisms as a reflection of their kit and theme. If we ever get mix-'n'-match frames, that distinction will be greatly blurred, even lost, for those frames, and they'll all start to feel more or less the same, which leads to boredom, which feeds into burnout.

I think it should be the final meta of the game

create your own warframe, something like a modular warframe, but with its own mechanics

how each warframe has its personality, and we have ours

create a warframe would be the last thing we could do

and I really want it

I would love it, to think that powers combine

and although it seems a lie, I would not do it so powerful, it would make it very fun, stuck to my style of play, and I would use the other warframes, for nostalgia or because they are already building

No. 

And lorewise, it wouldn't even make sense. The knowledge required to construct a brand new Warframe was forbidden to all but the 7, and they're dead, so the knowledge died with them. 

except for Ballas, he would know, but I doubt he'd help us even if he could/ survives long enough 

Edited by Miser_able

What would the point be of a modular frame in the first place? We already have a few frames that one can consider in the "Jack-of-all-Trades" group. And the more frames we get the harder it would be to make a modular frame that's unique.

The closest I could ever imagine to a modular frame that DE would create would be a twist on Equinox's kit. Instead of changing forms your abilities instead have varied effects based on your stats; an ability does x or y based on having more or less shields than health or an ability based on having more range/strength built.

But I can't see them ever making a "Build-a-Frame" created from modular parts.

No, it ruins the lore, makes boring gameplay, will be hard to balance. And if we continue with that train of thought, we will have someone make a warframe that is worse then pre-buff mag, or a super fast tiny thing that zips around everywhere as a meme build before the META build is achieved and you only ever see one warframe anymore. If modular warframe related stuff appears, I think we should have some sort of modular armour system that gives us armour, health, shield, movement speed, and energy that goes overtop existing warframes.

Do we even really have a modular weapon system tho? 

I mean Modular implies that we can swippity swap out modules which we can't do. The "modular" weapon system as it stands is more like ordering a computer from Dell and having the RAM soldered to the motherboard. 

In fairness Dell probably doesn't do that anymore but I haven't had to deal with a Dell system in decades so who knows.

Edited by Oreades

1 hour ago, midtarget said:

No, it ruins the lore, makes boring gameplay, will be hard to balance. And if we continue with that train of thought, we will have someone make a warframe that is worse then pre-buff mag, or a super fast tiny thing that zips around everywhere as a meme build before the META build is achieved and you only ever see one warframe anymore. If modular warframe related stuff appears, I think we should have some sort of modular armour system that gives us armour, health, shield, movement speed, and energy that goes overtop existing warframes.

Nah we just learn the origin of warframe from the sacrifice quest. It should not be that long for us to create new warframe by ourselves. But yeah I aware that balancing the modular warframe won't be possible now. I'm just feel like to make a warframe myown that would be fun. About meta build aren't we already have that for a long time? like meta build EOS saryn volt, meta tridolon chroma trin volt harrow. However, the modular armour is pretty interesting, so that we can have more way to customise the frame.

I just bring this up because I really feel like just augment mod is not enough to make my warframe distinct from other mainly because of how small we can customise how ability itself work. BTW most of augment mods are band-aid anyway.

If I could draft ability with the same rule as dota it would be: iron skin, roar, pacify, maim. 

8 hours ago, HerpDerpy said:

never going to happen. if they wont even make warframe riven mods they are never going to make a modular warframe system.

To be fair, they did mention that they wanted to do more with the Helminth Infirmary.

Something along the lines of editing some aspects of your Warframes base stats, but getting negatives elsewhere to compensate. So like extra Armor, but less Sprint Speed, that kind of thing. I think they mentioned other stuff they wanted to do but I honestly can't recall.

That's about as far as I think it would ever go though.