Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Could the Tenno Forget?

(XBOX)oOJeshuanOo

They had normal lives going, probably enjoying their teen-hood. Suddenly, they're sent away on a ship. This sounds like a great trip, especially with Mum and Pap with you. But wait, they're acting funny. Before you can understand what's going on, they perish from Void's energy. pretty soon the Tenno become warriors and get involved in the largest war the universe has ever seen. After the war, the system is somewhat dormant (balance of powers I mean), with the Tenno keeping that in check. Things are pretty laid back (keeping in mind that the Tenno don't know that there will be a "New War", the player does). And you tell me that they don't even think about their parents?

How about a mini-quest, that's about the Tenno going through memories of their parents? You would be able to play the quest after the Second Dream, because you just woke up, and there's not much to worry about (Lotus hasn't left us yet). 

TO START THE QUEST: The next Void mission you play after completing the Second Dream will seem like any other, however you realize that there aren't any enemies, or an objective.

There's no music, and the lighting begins to darken. After roaming around, you come up to a mirror. (CINEMATIC SCENE) You walk up to the mirror, and just like in Harry Potter, you see to shadowed figures in the mirror, a Man, and a Woman. Suddenly you wake up, you're on Lua. You notice a Man and a Woman, holding hands, walking away at a distance. You chase after them. 

The rest of the story I haven't come up with, I was going to leave that to DE.

AFTER QUEST: You get a statue ("noggle"), with your parents, plated in gold, standing on a marble base holding hands. Lotus gives you comforting words, like how much they loved you. But not in an inbox message, that's just stupid. An actual dialogue of Lotus comforting you.

This is obviously unfinished, so feel free to add anything!

Given the current abysmal state of player avatar customisation and how I wouldn't want my in game (orokin) parents to look like Ballas II and Lady Ballas the Genderbent, I would have to say no to this. If they are just gonna be shadowy shapes then honestly what's the point. It would also be lame if everyone saw the same thing, which kind of leaves a lot of kinks to be ironed out.

I mean, it is a nice concept to have but don't you think putting a Reverse Fallout 4 thing isn't quite the right way to go about this kind of thing given that DE has a lot on their plate lately with their overburgeoning ambition and orokin like vainglory in their own game? There are a lot more features to be worked on and I rather get the next quest which drops rewards than this really.

It appears that I am just a naysayer.

33 minutes ago, Datam4ss said:

Given the current abysmal state of player avatar customisation and how I wouldn't want my in game (orokin) parents to look like Ballas II and Lady Ballas the Genderbent, I would have to say no to this. If they are just gonna be shadowy shapes then honestly what's the point. It would also be lame if everyone saw the same thing, which kind of leaves a lot of kinks to be ironed out.

I mean, it is a nice concept to have but don't you think putting a Reverse Fallout 4 thing isn't quite the right way to go about this kind of thing given that DE has a lot on their plate lately with their overburgeoning ambition and orokin like vainglory in their own game? There are a lot more features to be worked on and I rather get the next quest which drops rewards than this really.

It appears that I am just a naysayer.

That's fine, there's no way to make everyone happy. I was just thinking, if it were me, I would be crying, especially at this age. 

Also the quest would be after second dream, before Ballas or Lotus leaving. And the quest starts on your first void mission, so it would have to be before COH (must complete MOT to start).

14 hours ago, (XB1)oOJeshuanOo said:

The rest of the story I haven't come up with, I was going to leave that to DE.

Wait. Wut. You posted all this just to avoid discussing the interesting part? What.

Seeing the first paragraph, I thought I was at least going to get a heartwarming read. Players aren't exactly forbidden from sharing their own fictional Tenno backstories in the forums, it's just that getting stuff into the game is another matter.

Personally, I think the Tenno backstory is inevitably going to be told if DE keeps fleshing out the story. Though I'd like it if they switch story around for every player based on things like what are statistically your most used schools, alignment, etc.

I mean we already know the TenZero incident, Marghulis, why we're on the moon, etc. We'll eventually get the full picture, parent story included.

Edited by MandzPH

Just a reminder that during the Old War, the Zariman children fought with the Warframes in the Old War. In the time after the old war, I don't find it plausible that these teens who had seen the horrors of battle would be struck with reminiscence about their lost parents. I could see maybe that taking place before the Old War, when they were essentially hidden away by the Orokin Empire in shame of the evidence of their failed experiment.

Also, I'd want to buy or have available more diverse noggles than the typical man/woman straight relationship stuff. If we had the option to diversify it, that would make it really nice.

I'm surprised none considered the possibility of we, tenno, actually chose to forget everything after a lot of traumas. The Zariman incident, the time we were lab rats of the orokin bastards, our time as child soldiers during the Old War and finally the day of betrayal at victory celebration and the Collapse. Lots of heavy stuff.

The tabula rasa of cryo-induced amnesia is a plot tool, no doubt, but makes sense when we supposedly wanted to get rid of so much trauma as quickly as possible.

Edited by renleech

il y a 10 minutes, renleech a dit :

I'm surprised none considered the possibility of we, tenno, actually chose to forget everything after a lot of traumas. The Zariman incident, the time we were lab rats of the orokin bastards, our time as child soldiers during the Old War and finally the day of betrayal at victory celebration and the Collapse. Lots of heavy stuff.

The tabula rasa of cryo-induced amnesia is a plot tool, no doubt, but makes sense when we supposedly wanted to get rid of so much trauma as quickly as possible.

I'm sort of of the opposite mind. Just as a personal preference, I want to remember/never forget those facts. I'm not the forgiving type, and definitely not the forgetting type. So to make that the story, that we voluntarily chose to forget, feels cowardly in that we'd be running away from those memories and those issues rather than facing them.

il y a 15 minutes, renleech a dit :

I never said it was my personal choice, but said choice might have been taken from us anyway.

Yeah, I got ya on that. I just hope it isn't the case is all. Purposefully forgetting one's problems/painful memories just makes for a cowardly hero/heroine to me. Maybe if we were given the option to write that part of the story, with it ultimately leading to the same conclusion that we're either reminded of what we chose to forget, or reminded of what was forgotten as a result of so many years of cryo sleep.

Edited by xZeromusx

On 2018-11-08 at 10:11 PM, xZeromusx said:

Yeah, I got ya on that. I just hope it isn't the case is all. Purposefully forgetting one's problems/painful memories just makes for a cowardly hero/heroine to me. Maybe if we were given the option to write that part of the story, with it ultimately leading to the same conclusion that we're either reminded of what we chose to forget, or reminded of what was forgotten as a result of so many years of cryo sleep.

Remember Douglas Adams and his prayer of the irresponsible man:

"Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.
Lord, lord, lord. Protect me from the consequences of the above prayer."

Il y a 9 heures, renleech a dit :

Remember Douglas Adams and his prayer of the irresponsible man:

"Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.
Lord, lord, lord. Protect me from the consequences of the above prayer."

As an Atheist, I don't really understand prayers anyways, so reading that just kind of made my eyes cross. I prefer Einstein: “The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.”

So, to me, to forget voluntarily forget is to substitute the burden of knowledge that brings curiosity for the bliss of ignorance that brings complacency, but it's still ignorance.

Edited by xZeromusx

14 hours ago, xZeromusx said:

As an Atheist, I don't really understand prayers anyways, so reading that just kind of made my eyes cross. I prefer Einstein: “The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.”

So, to me, to forget voluntarily forget is to substitute the burden of knowledge that brings curiosity for the bliss of ignorance that brings complacency, but it's still ignorance.

Amen.

Said prayer was in the "Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxies" series. 2nd or 3rd, i don't remember exactly. As an irony, it was never meant to be taken seriously, at least on the surface. But you got the real message, then it's fine. Always choose truth, no matter how painful.