Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fortuna: Update 24.0

[DE]Megan

5 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

Added some polish to the Gear Wheel changes. We now have a  UI marker to indicate where the start of the Gear Spiral is so you have an orientation point AND we always start the opening of the Gear Wheel in the same rotation. This is based on your feedback about losing muscle memory and losing your orientation upon repeat gear use. 

Thank you! *applause*

So far, so good, as far as I've seen. 

There are just a couple of topics of note I hope are addressed: 

Spoiler

1. We've finally been given a bit of narrative and lore to paint the picture for the long-missing 'why' we fight, the Corpus at least. Just in that alone, I'd gauge this update as a very positively impactful one. Now here's an overarching concern I have: Fortuna periodically refers back to Cetus, from cross-cultural visitors in both towns chatting, and some Solaris in a locker room type of area talking about how rough they hear it is over at Cetus.

Compared to this, PoE and Cetus did very little on their own to actually paint any larger picture - they were kind of just there. The core of the conflict there basically amounted to, "Grineer are out there. That's bad. #*!% their S#&$ up for us." It lacked any real "why" other than, "they're the bad guys". Sure, the initiated can contextually piece together the general image that that faction acts like a very hazardous bulldozer and plow to any people happening to be in their way, but we never really got to see any of that. Everything was terribly isolated and sort of disjointed - the people, the why, the enemies, the why, the actual activity, the why, the what will it actually do, all the way to the closed economy of the place and the completely closed meta of the Eidolons.

Compared to that, Fortuna has felt like a great triumph over most of those issues. Now that you have a more winning formula, do you have any plans to spruce up its older sister content?

Spoiler

2. Closed economy. With PoE and Cetus, the closed resource economy resulted in a buildup of useless residual materials that makes for a glaring design issue - we don't even have any consumable sinks for those resources. I see Fortuna brings its own neigh-equivalent slew of new resources, so the natural concern it raises is: will this be a repeat of that? Do you have any plans to open up that resource economy at all? Any crossover of applicability of the resources? "You can use your Cetus mining tool and fishing spears here too, but those best-of ones will do meh here" is an inelegant stopgap solution. Gameplay longevity often comes down to details like this, and I'd hate to see this zone suffer this same glaring pitfall. 

Spoiler

3. Please tell me the Orb fights will be more open-ended than the Tridolons were.
Scenario:
-you're on a timer (night cycle, long wait time before it opens up again)

-there's one weapon in the arsenal that's so overwhelmingly better suited for the task than anything else in existence that any other weapon is just shooting yourself in the foot, because of the nature of resistances and damage reduction rates on the target creature

-there's one way to do the task for proper rewards

-there's one, maybe two, frames you can run for your given task - anything else is, like the weapon selection, shooting yourself in the foot

-can't enjoy the scenery or the spectacle of the fight, because it's a time attack due to the ticking clock

-encounter consists of time-attack meta that accentuates the stress and irritation of less-than-great connections between clients and hosts, smash the target(s) as fast as humanly possible, loot the things as fast as humanly possible, mad-dash to the doors to go back in to refresh the session because that's the only way to respawn the stuff for another run, before night is over

Now, does that sound like a lot of fun? One setup, one task. You guys, developing this game, know better than anyone that the replayability and enjoyment of this game comes from tackling samey tasks with different loadouts and approaches, not repeating the exact same one with the exact same setup ad naseum. Tridolons simply didn't feel good, when you got past the first few hunts, realizing how badly the activity constrains your options for it. Realizing that 99% of options in the arsenal, that the game encourages us to play and tinker with, aren't just ineffective, they're literally inapplicable. Forget what constitutes a fun-to-play frame, if it's not a heal for the lures (Trinity and Oberon) or a damage buff (Volt), it contributes nothing to the fight - and that's a real downer. I get that it would take a tremendous amount of effort to allow most abilities to affect such huge targets in a reasonable manner that's both fair to the player but doesn't trivialize the beast, but pure negation just feels terrible from a gameplay standpoint. 

Certainly we haven't actually seen what their fights are, but I do plead that lessons from the previous iteration of big baddies shape the Orbs' fight into as much of a triumph over their predecessor as Fortuna seems to be over Cetus. 

Aside from those concerns, congratulations in order: this update delighted me in a rare way. The amount of involuntary grins, smiles, and "WOAH" it got out of me may rival what Monster Hunter World did for me. Not flawless or blindly praising here, but credit where it'd due, you guys nailed a 'Wow' factor with this. Well done, and keep at it like this. 

Edited by Tauni

5 hours ago, Julian_Skies said:

Actually, you don't need to click at all. When you hover over the bounty a window with the rewards shows up, that is HONESTLY better than the old system because the old system required you to move the mouse to the side and scroll down a list to see all rewards, the new system is just a small text list.

But if you right click you can get a full list with icons which you can hover over for descriptions of what each item does.

This is strictly superior since it takes even LESS space and shows the exact same information

I can't recall needing to scroll with the old system tho I never really cared what was at the bottom of the list so maybe that was a thing. Most of the time all I cared about was "what is the current set mod rotation" tho IMHO the set mod rotations where also one of my least favorite things in PoE. What with the ~6hr down time between them if you didn't happen to land the rotation with the mod you wanted. 

While I don't recall seeing it in their initial gif video whoozle the truncated list is actually kinda nice. It would be slightly nicer with mini visuals but those seem a small price to pay for access to relevant information. 

Disappointed that the bloodshed sigil is only available in a bundle. I told myself I wouldn't buy Garuda and would earn her. Only to see the bloodshed sigil and change my mind purely for that. I do not like spending platinum on warframes and weapons knowing that once a prime/vandal/wraith/prisma variant is available I will be scrapping it entirely, along with it's reactor/catalyst and forma if any. I am spending close to 600 platinum on a sigil alone and it is incredibly hard for me to justify, but I want  need it. It genuinely pains me to have to spend so much purely for a sigil. I would have much more fun earning both the weapon and warframe so now I have a choice to make: Spend platinum on things I do not want to buy just for one small thing that I want or don't spend plat, have fun earning the items that I want and miss out on the sigil. 

Edit: As this post was absolutely massive I missed this in regards to the bloodshed sigil: You will be able to earn it free in a future Fortuna release - event style

Edited by NecroPed

Ok the footsteps thing when you track animals gotta change, staring at the same spot around the floor for 5 minutes is not fun, sometimes depending on the texture of the floor you cant see them at all, and then when you actually find the thing sometimes the animals just flee while im standing still doing nothing, is the most frustrating thing i ever did in this game.

I see de learned nothing from poe, I got a headache just by reading all the name of all the new resources and things to grind. Instead of looking forward to it im already tired and bored to death. 

Edited by -Temp0-

Thank you all for the incredible dedication and time put into this awesome game and huge update.  You are slowly changing the free to play model and your humility and love towards your baby and the gamers around the world is noticible all throughout your hard work. 

Never ever stop making things! 🙂

8 hours ago, [DE]Megan said:

Increased the Archwing max height in the Plains of Eidolon to 300 meters.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I know I may have been annoying in regards to this topic, but having had the chance to test the new 300m ceiling, this makes a big experience difference for Archwing in Plains not constantly bumping into the ceiling.

Thank you.

hace 9 horas, [DE]Megan dijo:

“Please return - covered in blood - safe and sound.” This Bloodshed Sigil can be equipped on any Warframe, but only visible when in the Arsenal, Captura, or when accumulating Health damage numerous times in a mission. 

Find the Bloodshed Sigil in the Market as part of the Garuda Bundle. You will be able to earn it free in a future Fortuna release - event style.

Why do you do this stuff? Please explain it to me. Do you really think you don't have enough time-sinks? 

I've now completed so many tier 1 bounties trying to get "10 training time sinks" (I've received none...) and because you'll never understand something as simple as "do not waste people's time" I got so frustrated that I turned the game off. 

I don't understand why it is so difficult to understand that stuff like this makes people not want to play. Rewarding people for the time they put in makes them want to play. It's so simple. Going here and doing this will yield this reward (not might yield). Time spent = reward. Thanks, you've completely ruined anything good I had to say because of this. And that sucks because all the people that did the hard work making everything look and run great don't get the praise they deserve because someone else gets to decide how much wasted time is enough wasted time. Spoiler alert... it's any wasted time that's too much. 

• Like 1

Removing Sentinel rivens from the drop tables was a really bad idea, can you guys either put them back or just introduce a new way to get them? Cause holy S#&$ you guys really destroyed the market with this...I don't mean to be rude, I love the game and the updates, esp fortuna, it's fun, but you guys have seriously made 10p items worth 600-1000p, how is that EVER a good idea?

Please stop changing the UI so we see less information. This happened with the inventory (though to a lesser degree), and now with the bounty screen. Reward info is now buried an extra layer, and you have to mouse over each item to see what it is. You're also only using half the screen, which could be used to expand the UI and give us this info on the top layer.

• Like 1