update is crashing for nearly everyone

pig666eon

This is what happens when thousands of people download a major update at the same time. It's been the norm with every big update. Posting about it on General Discussion won't really change anything. Either weather the storm or wait and download later.

Edited by Lance_Lionroar

5 minutes ago, mihoiru said:

Update failed! 

Some content updates could not be downloaded from our servers.

The update will be restarted shortly..

And it doesn't seem to restart, I had to restart it manually.

Okay, it got better now, speed is rising 🤗

5 minutes ago, Lance_Lionroar said:

This is what happens when thousands of people download a major update at the same time. It's been the norm with every big update. Posting about it on General Discussion won't really change anything. Either weather the storm or wait and download later.

Honestly this isn't "normal". We should be able to pre-download most files, without any critical files and store them on harddrive, then just download last missing patch elements. That isn't something new or never used in online games 🙂

4 minutes ago, deeveejay said:

Honestly this isn't "normal". We should be able to pre-download most files, without any critical files and store them on harddrive, then just download last missing patch elements. That isn't something new or never used in online games 🙂

Yeah, from 5 years of playing this is my first time experiencing such update crashes... And believe me I was present at the time of all big releases as they went live. But I guess there's quite a lot more people than "usual" this time, so much newcomers also.

Well, it crashed again while I was writing this -__-

Edited by mihoiru

vor 4 Minuten schrieb deeveejay:

If you watched the stream a few minutes ago, you would know that the updates are packed (i guess to compress them) before release. How should you be able to pre load something if it was created a few minutes before?

Also pre loading makes only sense if the updateis already finished and waiting to be released. Then you would be able to send out only the missing files.

Just now, deeveejay said:

I didn't watched the stream. But if u try to convince me, that they were unable to prepera some textures, sounds etc. pack for pre-download, then... try to convince me harder 😉

Well DE_Steve said that they do have main part of the update pre-loaded on server points around the world.

suggestion to DE: 
1) split patch into two or more parts - those that will likely not change closer to release (assets, maps etc) and those likely to change closer to release - scripts, configurations, executables; pre-release those to players before the actual release way before (take inspiration how blizzard or grinding gear games do it)
2) analyze traffic dynamic - where it comes from at what time in what amounts and then: if they want to invest some money, rent a cdn for the day of release and pre-distribute the patch on the edge servers caches so that when the client patchers start to download, they'll be hitting those caches; if they want to do it cheaper, get a 'seed base' from players with high speed machines and uploads by offering them some extra platinum based on how much bandwidth they'll supply to other players during the patch release (different form of staggering the load)
(hopefully the patch is also downloaded as a rolling checksum like bittorent protocol does it - actually speeding up as the size of the network of people downloading it grows)

vor 3 Minuten schrieb deeveejay:

I didn't watched the stream. But if u try to convince me, that they were unable to prepera some textures, sounds etc. pack for pre-download, then... try to convince me harder 😉

Why should i convince you? Its not my problem if you think its that easy. They probably would have already done it if it was so simple.

2 minutes ago, mihoiru said:

Well DE_Steve said that they do have main part of the update pre-loaded on server points around the world.

I'm talking about pre-download on our computers. Even S#&$ty company like EA do this, to avoid situations like today.