Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

update is crashing for nearly everyone

pig666eon

3 minutes ago, loricc said:

suggestion to DE: 
1) split patch into two or more parts - those that will likely not change closer to release (assets, maps etc) and those likely to change closer to release - scripts, configurations, executables; pre-release those to players before the actual release way before (take inspiration how blizzard or grinding gear games do it)
2) analyze traffic dynamic - where it comes from at what time in what amounts and then: if they want to invest some money, rent a cdn for the day of release and pre-distribute the patch on the edge servers caches so that when the client patchers start to download, they'll be hitting those caches; if they want to do it cheaper, get a 'seed base' from players with high speed machines and uploads by offering them some extra platinum based on how much bandwidth they'll supply to other players during the patch release (different form of staggering the load)
(hopefully the patch is also downloaded as a rolling checksum like bittorent protocol does it - actually speeding up as the size of the network of people downloading it grows)

This!

1 minute ago, deeveejay said:

I'm talking about pre-download on our computers. Even S#&$ty company like EA do this, to avoid situations like today.

Well I think it not really a thing in the reality of warframe and it's update schedule/pacing.

My max download speed is about 5-6 MB/s. Warframe's launcher usually hits about 3-4.

Right now it hits 1-2 and then drops to ~20-100 KB/s and then eventually crashes. The "automatic restart" of the download doesn't happen, either. Gotta restart it myself the whole time.

It's 11 p.m / 23 o'clock right here and I got like, what, 3-5 % ? I've been sitting here for over an hour. I would have downloaded the entire update by now if it wasn't for the horrible servers.

DE's Server Upgrades are a lie.

Guess I'll let it run over night and hope it actually fixes itself while I sleep.

EDIT: Well...apparently it's... done. What. The hell? Did they split it up or did I just experience magic? Someone explain this.

Spoiler

This is what happens when you post one hype-thread after another all over the internet even though you know your servers are bad.

Edited by o0Despair0o

1 minute ago, o0Despair0o said:

But steam only downloades the launcher and base game, though.

Yeah, that is the problem. Good example is PoE; if you use the standalone client it has a similar launcher as warframe has, but if you have the steam client it just opens the game, also it updates from Steam servers, while the standalone client does from GGG's own update servers.

10 minutes ago, Puzzony said:

Or just update through Steam as every other normal game? 

Does it have to be Steam? It is a problem if all games have to rely on one specific 3rd party. They are there to make as much money as possible after all.