Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Now that Fortuna will attract new players, can we remove some of the "noob traps"?

Antiphoton

2 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Hmm...

While I do agree Warframe should be a game for the thinking gamer and that players should be encouraged to find stuff out for themselves, I also think the game could be a bit more helpful to newbies.

I don't see any harm in providing basic information, that simply tells players what things are for and how / where they can be obtained. Maybe with a bit of context, where necessary, to show how they can be used in the game.

Something like tool tips (with an option to switch them on / off) so that when you hover over things, you get a window with a few lines of text & maybe a link to the relevant Wiki entry.

Speaking of Wiki, World of Tanks has a proper ad free site. I agree it would be great if DE could create an official WF Wikipedia, without all the annoying ads that make it difficult to read sometimes. Compare and contrast...

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Tanks

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/WARFRAME_Wiki

GW2 does as well.

I think back to when I started playing and whenever I return after a long hiatus and the place I have to go to first is the Wiki...There is not enough information in game or the triggers used to give that information are obscure.

The codex station simply isn't enough.

21 minutes ago, Mingtzu said:

I don't mind paying for plat in this game cause it's a fair price imo but some players might be too young for a job and might want to get more slots without $$.

They aren't supposed to be playing due to age restrictions.

23 minutes ago, Mingtzu said:

I'd suggest that they make a tutorial after you finish that starting area. It would say "Here is an item. Now lets go to a kiosk located in hub and trade to so-and-so npc. Now you have plat. Lets use that plat to buy an extra frame slot and weapon slot. In the future you will either have to buy plat or farm items to trade to players for plat. With plat you can buy more frame slots, weapon slots or anything else in the market with the plat tag."

Can't trade at Rank Zero... Platinum re-selling would likely skyrocket if that changed.

Likewise, them placing a tutorial in as a blocker for legit revenue generation seems counter intuitive to me personally but I'm not a marketing or behavioral expert.

1 hour ago, Padre_Akais said:

Can't trade at Rank Zero... Platinum re-selling would likely skyrocket if that changed.

Likewise, them placing a tutorial in as a blocker for legit revenue generation seems counter intuitive to me personally but I'm not a marketing or behavioral expert.

It's not tradeable plat. You would HAVE to use it in the tutorial. And not sure how a tutorial would be a revenue blocker. It would be giving you tutorial plat that is not tradeable and it would teach you how to buy and earn plat. You couldn't keep it an trade it away later. If anything it would be helping players make plat and boost the market not destroy it.

Edited by Mingtzu
Added why it would help and not hinder

1 hour ago, Padre_Akais said:

They aren't supposed to be playing due to age restrictions.

I know quite a few under age players. It's a game and it is going to attract kids as well as adults. I have played many a game that would've had a rating above my age had they had ratings back when I started. Only really prudish parents are going to sensor their kids games.

6 minutes ago, Mingtzu said:

It's not tradeable plat. You would HAVE to use it in the tutorial. And not sure how a tutorial would be a revenue blocker. It would be giving you tutorial plat that is not tradeable and it would teach you how to buy and earn plat. You couldn't keep it an trade it away later. If anything it would be helping players make plat and boost the market not destroy it.

So what you are saying is that DE should make a tutorial teaching people...

• How to trade the free plat in our current trading system (even though it's not tradeable)
  • ...At rank 0 (Teaching players to trade before players can legitimately trade at all)
  • Teaching players how to earn plat (this setup doesn't actually teach them how to buy it)
  • ...Because that plat can't be traded anyway.
  • To help boost the market (???).

I genuinely don't see how that isn't confusing for a new player and can't begin to how that helps earn revenue for DE.

2 minutes ago, Mingtzu said:

I know quite a few under age players. It's a game and it is going to attract kids as well as adults. I have played many a game that would've had a rating above my age had they had ratings back when I started. Only really prudish parents are going to sensor their kids games.

Game is rated M (17+)

TOS : "Our content is in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and will never be directed at children under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, the Website and game are not intended for you and therefore you are not permitted to access the Website or Game unless your parent or guardian has provided express consent and accepts this Agreement along with all applicable end-user or similar license agreements on your behalf prior to your use of the Website or Game."

...That indemnifies DE and places the responsibility on the parent directly for underage players.

No disrespect to you...If you think that exposing your kids to strangers, the hundreds of types of acts of violence present in video games, graphic language, and graphic visuals on display in any format un-monitored is cool or to not do so is prudish...You may, one day, get your wish with kids of your own and you can make that decision for them then (or now ...who knows).

For my part, I've been on this earth long enough to have seen so many permutations of that scenario (good, bad, and ironic) that the best I could ever say is that there is no one right answer because results are never consistent.

...Which makes things like labels, begging the question, or making assumptions about a persons motivations or development rather foolish imo. 

Vor's prize should be redesigned entirely. After you finish a few quests you're left on the orbiter with no information on what to do next. It's even worse if someone doesn't have enough time to play it for 2 consecutive days or a few hours in a row and comes back after a week. By this time new player forget what he was and is about atm. Also! The game should be designed to treat a long time returning player as a new one, give him the tutorial on everything again.

I'd love to see a fully designed tutorial with mods explanation, warframes explanation, weapon and foundry explanation. Not just text but a fully interactive tutorial that tells you what to do in real time. And when the mission tells you "install x segment" the player should be guided through the ship to this segment and explained it upon activation. 

Oh and get rid of plat stuff from the arsenal. Or at least make the filter set to show only owned stuff by default. Please.

Edited by Sard1Lorlade