Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you want more of the open-world module?

Tellakey

I wanted to give Fortuna some time to ripen before making this thread, but seeing as the open-world fatigue is already creeping over me, I figured why not.

Let me open with a disclaimer: Fortuna is a great addition to Warframe. It really is PoE 2.0, which is to say a refined iteration of last year's endeavor. However, in my opinion, that is also Fortuna's biggest problem. It's more of the same without enough novelty to compensate. And for now that's fine. We're already at it and it's already out, so there's no need to be sour about it, rather make the most of it - that is, provide DE with feedback and enjoy the upcoming improvements and additions in the following weeks.

The real question I'm interested in seeing the community answer is, do you want more of this? More of the open world module every year taking the bulk of DE's workforce for a late mega expansion at the end of it? Honestly, the formula already tires me. Don't get me wrong, I would love for every planet to have its own open world, but when you consider the developmental drawbacks you gotta make some concessions. 

I hope that worst case scenario, DE puts the finishing touch on this with next year's probable Infested-themed open tileset and moves on to other creative and original features. Nonetheless, I'm gonna play Fortuna to the max, get all the items, kill me some giant spiders and praise DE for their unsurprisingly amazing work.

How do you feel about the topic?

Edited by Tellakey

I am that kind of player whom not really care which type of mission play I enjoy all for their gameplay and for some times the exploration. There is a lot of potential to make more open world maps like infested one, volcano open world, barren planet, mars open world, more open world on Earth since our planet has a lot of biomes. Sentient one also will be a nice one and the new oslar system but honestly I could just happy if they make the major moons of the current system also an unique "planet" with some points to reach. If they can make a nice Io, Titan, Ganymede Enceladus, Europa maps that would be nice and It coult satisfy me.

On the open world part they can just do the same in every open world what they did on Cetus, because their time and rescurces needs a secure investment, and they did not bankrupt after Cetus / plains, because it was mostly positive. The formula is there so they just copy most ascpects and implement it on every new open world map and closed map alike.

Also DE cannot make pure fun game mods and maps because their game built on grinding so every addition what they will add is pure grind to waste more time in game than what you willing to spend so they will try to keep you in the game with honey instead of vinegar.

Edited by Szuna

4 minutes ago, Tellakey said:

Honestly, the formula already tires me

I do not really see much point in DE doing another open world if they do not make some changes. I played around in Fortuna for a while yesterday, it got boring very quickly. Too much is time-gated, and there just needs to be more changes made from PoE. Yes, DE have done a lot of things well with Fortuna, but for me, time-gating so much content negates that.

• There is very little reason to play Fortuna when you cannot make progress for 18 hours due to time-gates.

With Railjack underway and being released next year, I am not sure if DE will get another open world area done. 

If DE decide to change how they do 'open world' areas, I would have no issue at all in them making more. But keeping it the same, not so much.

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

I do not really see much point in DE doing another open world if they do not make some changes. I played around in Fortuna for a while yesterday, it got boring very quickly. Too much is time-gated, and there just needs to be more changes made from PoE. Yes, DE have done a lot of things well with Fortuna, but for me, time-gating so much content negates that.

• There is very little reason to play Fortuna when you cannot make progress for 18 hours due to time-gates.

With Railjack underway and being released next year, I am not sure if DE will get another open world area done. 

If DE decide to change how they do 'open world' areas, I would have no issue at all in them making more. But keeping it the same, not so much.

They could just add the kingpin game mode which supposed to be fun, player controlled and scaled by the player needs in difficulity with specific rewards. At least what I heard but the project seems shelved.

Disclaimer: I haven't played much of Fortuna yet. I started with 0 level warframe and weapons, so I'm seeing it from the perspective of a new player (kind of). So I haven't played any of the more challenging content, but here is what I hope is added in (if it isn't already).

-Reasons to explore: give a reason for players to slow down and use their k-drive instead of just speeding from one objective to another using archwing. Otherwise, what is the point of all the space in between? This was my complaint with the Plains. Technically, most people still do this with star-chart missions. Once the objective is done, we all just rush to extraction, but I still find dodging enemies and bullet jump to be more enjoyable and engaging than just holding down shift to make my archwing zip through the sky.

-Interior buildings: this might be an odd request, but there are SO many points of interest on the Fortuna map. There are way more buildings and structures than Plains. I just hope we can interact with them. I want to go inside these buildings. Maybe there is a bounty, or a special timed event, that wants us to hack into one of the buildings, and then we have to navigate our way inside and defend or sabotage something. I know I can go to star-chart if I'm craving a closed-quarters type of mission, but I'd love to see the open world formula merge with some of  the deliberate, tight-nit interior map designs.

-Challenging group content. This might be Railjack, it might be the Momma Spider that no one knows how to kill yet. I feel like Eidolons started to touch on this with Teralyst, I just want to see DE push it even further.

i was really on the fence about fortuna because i didnt really enjoy poe, alot of it wasnt implemented right and took a year to make it good but fortuna is on another level

ive done all my standing for today and moved onto vox collecting thoroids, played solo in spaceport and it was epic, if warframe was like that all the time then i would gladly give up the rest of the missions to be doing that, it went from 0 to 100 really quickly and most fun ive had trying to hang on in a good while, it actually has me excited to play tbh

its not the fact that its a tileset or openworld that makes it good its the missions and DE done a very good job here, if they rewards can catch up i think it will be the only thing to play, right now there is nothing really rewarded only progression within fortuna, id love to see fissues/ cryonic/ relic rewards ect ect on here and tbh i dont think i would bother going back over to to the rest of the game there really wouldnt be a need to run hydron over and over would there? the same goes for the rest of the missions to get rewards like that

i really didnt think this was before i played fortuna but i feel that open world is defo the future and im glad now thats what it was rather than updated old content because now i feel it would be wasted time when you can do something like this instead. if they could pump out this every 6 months then this game would be no.1 hands down, im not sure if the funds would be there to hire more staff to make that happen but there would be no competition out there that could compete. lol dont forget this is only half of fortuna imagine whats coming in the next few months with all the stuff they held back.... cant wait 🙂

so open world from now on hands down, poe wasnt great but if this is the standard from now on then bring it ill consume it

More open world maps with innovative gameplay?  Good idea.

More open world maps with largely the same mechanics/gameplay?  Bad idea.

I've yet to see whether Fortuna is more the former than the latter.  I give DE the benefit of the doubt that they are aware their huge investment in these types of expansions requires qualitative gameplay changes, not just quantitative.

Edited by FatherGrimm

I hope DE takes a break from doing open worlds next year and concentrate on doing more cinematic quests and more engaging endgame content.

Fortuna looks great, don't get me wrong. But for someone who may be starting the game and trying to reach max standing with multiple factions, syndicates and focus schools, it can be overwhelming, especially with lower daily caps. In PoE, the grind to be prepared enough to do Eidolon fights and grind for arcanes is daunting. A third open world would just divide the playerbase, in my opinion. Maybe a break from another open world might give players more time to level up without having to rush to extraction or to a gate every time...

Maybe skip a year and release an open world map every 2 years or so in between quests and other activities?

I don't want another one, I rather have a new planet, a new faction, a new gameplay mechanic than another open world content. Fortuna look beautiful and it shows the amount of work they put on it, but since Warframe isn't a "campaign" type of game all that espace feels wasted with only bounties to do. I don't know, it's not my kinda of gameplay. Grinding there is fun for a while, but since there isn't really good fights/battles it becomes boring. I can always have fun on Mot for example, but shooting randomly while I'm trying to get to a far away point (and that is boring) isn't fun to me. 

Edited by JCistheway

I think you're maybe missing the bigger picture: the Warframe experience. It is only fitting that each faction gets a "world." I'd also argue that there should be an open world for the "water" planets, an open extension to the Derelict and the Void. These will all create more variety overall for Warframe. They should have been part of the foundation (like a plain cake) and content (frostings, icings, toppings, etc.) can be endlessly derived from them.

1 hour ago, (PS4)supernova_girlie said:

I think you're maybe missing the bigger picture: the Warframe experience. It is only fitting that each faction gets a "world." I'd also argue that there should be an open world for the "water" planets, an open extension to the Derelict and the Void. These will all create more variety overall for Warframe. They should have been part of the foundation (like a plain cake) and content (frostings, icings, toppings, etc.) can be endlessly derived from them.

I absolutely agree!

Even though fortuna looks a bit “Poe in the snow” Hopefully an infested world next year, with randomly generated caves/dungeons, which would make sense as the infestations is a living environment. By then the sentients should be a legit faction and we could have a tau open world the following year. Although DE will probably be bored of open worlds by then and railjack will be the next big thing.

I still want them to revisit poe though, that tower is begging to be explored for instance.

3 hours ago, Tellakey said:

I wanted to give Fortuna some time to ripen before making this thread, but seeing as the open-world fatigue is already creeping over me, I figured why not.

Let me open with a disclaimer: Fortuna is a great addition to Warframe. It really is PoE 2.0, which is to say a refined iteration of last year's endeavor. However, in my opinion, that is also Fortuna's biggest problem. It's more of the same without enough novelty to compensate. And for now that's fine. We're already at it and it's already out, so there's no need to be sour about it, rather make the most of it - that is, provide DE with feedback and enjoy the upcoming improvements and additions in the following weeks.

The real question I'm interested in seeing the community answer is, do you want more of this? More of the open world module every year taking the bulk of DE's workforce for a late mega expansion at the end of it? Honestly, the formula already tires me. Don't get me wrong, I would love for every planet to have its own open world, but when you consider the developmental drawbacks you gotta make some concessions. 

I hope that worst case scenario, DE puts the finishing touch on this with next year's probable Infested-themed open tileset and moves on to other creative and original features. Nonetheless, I'm gonna play Fortuna to the max, get all the items, kill me some giant spiders and praise DE for their unsurprisingly amazing work.

How do you feel about the topic?

Yes, I love Fortuna even more. Give me another

I like the open worlds and I would not mind more of them in the future BUT I think I would rather have them expand Fortuna/Cetus first. I liked that Fortuna had a bit of a story/quest and would really have loved if it had more of it. So some storylines and NPCs with quests in the world would go a long way for me. Fortuna is gorgeous to me but still feels very empty. If they can improve the open world first and make them more enjoyable/ full, I think it would make future ones better. 

3 hours ago, krc473 said:

There is very little reason to play Fortuna when you cannot make progress for 18 hours due to time-gates.

Standing hard caps are bullS#&$, and DE should just make soft caps, just like how WoW does it with XP.

Edited by Yanzoo
Rated M for mature.