Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My opinions on K-Drive as Tony Hawk Proskater fan

Fudruker

First of all the K-Drive and system as it stands is awesome you guys have a great baseline that can be improved and made into something amazing in my opinion. Here are my humble opinions as i have been playing with the K-Drive so far.

1. The initial hop needs to pop 50% more  it may get better with mods (might be better with venerdo hoverdrive mod)

2. Hitting the trick points cap does not feel satisfying, possibly as the higher you get with rep the higher the points can get and at the end of rep grind it unlocks the points completely so you can make disgusting numbers. I see why it is capped with the thrash landing mod, with that i could do some insane damage but i would instead drop the % to possibly 5% and uncap the points. Having uncapped points would feel more satisfying after landing an insane trick combo. 

3. Hitting rep cap for vent kids is brutal. I know you want longevity in the game and grinding is a way to get there but in my opinion having a cap or rep gain for the vent kids is kinda S#&$ty, if a person want to sit around and thrash on some rails for 2-3 hours they shouldn't be punished with a stop to their rep in my opinion.

4. While in a jump the buttons (a,d) should not function as movement and should only be used as new buttons for other tricks. Usually when you are in a jump you have committed to a location you will be landing to having a,d turn your jump feels bad and messes up with synergies that could come after for instance jumps into a trick that requires the a button then you miss your rail to grind on after because it turned your K-Drive.

5. While grinding moving your mouse should not slip you off the grind, the grind should lock you or make it war more sticky and harder for movement to pull you out of the grind.

6. Wider FOV is needed on the K-Drive and yes i am at max FOV

Other then that in my opinion i am very much happy with the K-Drive it is a blast to mess around with. Some things i hope to see implemented are. 

1. More tricks once the buttons a,s,d are unbound to movement on a K-Drive jump

2. Stance mods on the K-Drive can i hear a hell yeah from my Goofy brothers

3. More flair when landing huge point combos it doesnt have to do damage or anything it just needs to be flashy so your team can see you just landed a huge point combo maybe make this a plat cost i dont care what i would pay 1k plat for that. 

Awesome job to everyone who worked on K-Drive and i hope to see more in the future my plat is waiting to buy it all up!!!

Edited by Fudruker

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Fudruker:

1. The initial hop needs to pop 50% more  it may get better with mods (might be better with venerdo hoverdrive mod)

2. Hitting the trick points cap does not feel satisfying, possibly as the higher you get with rep the higher the points can get and at the end of rep grind it unlocks the points completely so you can make disgusting numbers. I see why it is capped with the thrash landing mod, with that i could do some insane damage but i would instead drop the % to possibly 5% and uncap the points. Having uncapped points would feel more satisfying after landing an insane trick combo.

4. While in a jump the buttons (a,d) should not function as movement and should only be used as new buttons for other tricks. Usually when you are in a jump you have committed to a location you will be landing to having a,d turn your jump feels bad and messes up with synergies that could come after for instance jumps into a trick that requires the a button then you miss your rail to grind on after because it turned your K-Drive.

Those are the most important aspects to make it better imo.

1. agree, because you do not always have time to charge your jump, this would be got for just normal mobility and for doing trick stuff.

2. I understand you dont want to cheese people to daily cap in one combo probably, but i agree, capping it at 3k is counterproductive.

Just make it so that it shows a number that gets bigger with the same values like it does now, but the actual rep you get decreases drastically after the 3k points.

The rep you get might even decrease by 90% or so, if the numbers keep growing people we be motivated to actually try something.

I know this isnt and doesnt want to be THPS, but imagine THPS would have a limit for how much points you can do in one combo, and that limit would be very low on top.

THPS would have been dead the moment it has been released.

4. THIS. i thought i was the only one that has problems with this, it feels so counterintuitive.

It might be still used for movement on the ground, but not in the Air..

Re: point cap, I don't like it, but if it must be there, you should still show us the total amount. Like only up to 3k counts for rep/xp, but when we land we should see how many total points we got.

Agree that movement after jump should be greatly reduced or eliminated. Only problem with eliminating it completely is, that will make it basically impossible to hop from one rail to another unless they're perfectly aligned.

Yeah, I'm not keen on the point cap either. I love doing infinite trick combos and seeing how high I can score in other skating games. I understand not grinding all the rep in a single trick combo, but I want to see my 2.1 billion points pop up when I complete the trick string I got going.

Suggestion: Make a separate display for points and rep, and just have the rep per trick string capped. I'm always curious what my rep is anyways, so have the points in the BIG BOLD LETTERS that are there, and the rep in tiny laser neon text below it.

On 2018-11-09 at 4:13 PM, Fudruker said:

Hitting rep cap for vent kids is brutal. I know you want longevity in the game and grinding is a way to get there but in my opinion having a cap or rep gain for the vent kids is kinda S#&$ty, if a person want to sit around and thrash on some rails for 2-3 hours they shouldn't be punished with a stop to their rep in my opinion.

I agree 100% with everything you said, but this one sticks out to me personally. I'm not trying to say grind needs to go away, what I hope to convey is that fun grind is becoming nonexistent for me in this game. It could be improved dramatically with K-Drive specifically if they implement better changes, but I wouldn't bet a whole lot on it. This is just a Warframe problem in general that I don't know is super easy to fix, but I think experimentation could bring us closer to a compromise.

What bothers me about daily caps in general is that as someone who solos most content and just pubs everything that they need to, there's not a whole lot for me to work towards in the game if I'm being locked behind an artificial wall of progression. This is a 99% PvE game so I'm not sure what the actual harm is in lifting the caps, or even implementing a proper soft-cap to where I still feel like I'm still progressing towards something. The added material types, the new fish, etc., is just yet another thing I have to work at to get to the "fun" stuff. I'm sure people find fishing and mining fun, but my mind is set on playing Warframe, a ninja space shooter. You know?

These are pretty good suggestions. The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is the suggestion about removing sideways movement while in the air. I think I find the A and S keys useful for repositioning and landing where I want to. It is a hoverboard after all. Maybe it could be an option in the settings?

30 minutes ago, SteveCutler said:

These are pretty good suggestions. The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is the suggestion about removing sideways movement while in the air. I think I find the A and S keys useful for repositioning and landing where I want to. It is a hoverboard after all. Maybe it could be an option in the settings?

You can still use the mouse as movement but yes maybe a toggle function for it for people as yourself who like using it for movement. or vice versa 

Just wanted to add that 3k trick points = 1k ventkids rep. It's not a 1:1 ratio.

I also agree, that since it isn't a 1:1 ratio, we should be seeing way higher numbers (IE higher than 3k "trick score") and giving us more trick options is imperative. Otherwise everyone is just going to do the same grind and hop in a circle for 20 minutes daily to get it over with, and use the archwing to get around.

A very long time ago I spent many quarters and hours in front of the arcade game 720: Skate or Die. It had so many ways to perform tricks it was pretty crazy, hard, but crazy and fun. Used a roller ball for control.

Edited by Argenex

I'm fine with A an D being for steering in jumps, it's how it worked in THPS: hit it when you jump to steer, hit it when you trick to trick.

What I'm not fine with is the Grind button not releasing when you jump. This might be a purely "toggle crouch" thing, but it's inconsistent with the rest of the game(jumping and sprint clear crouch), but also really garbage feeling when trying to throw a flip or grab in between grinds.

On 2018-11-09 at 7:13 PM, Fudruker said:

Removing movement for A and D keys would be nice.

Make them be used only to do side clutches but not the general direction mid-jump would be good.

Just keep the rep system and add a way for the player (and his friends/clanmates or some kind of leaderbord) to see the actual amount of points a trick would give.The satisfaction of seeing the number would encourage player to actually play for highscores. And trust me, as a tony hawk veteran i can tell you right now your map got some great potential for the good old "make the most points in 2 mins happen" gamemode that we all love and played the S#&$ out of against our friends. You want us to stay even longer in Fortuna without having to kill stuff? Get us this game mode, hell make it so this game mode does not award standing, idc

Oh and thanks for this amazing update

Edited by RaZalTheOne

On 2018-11-11 at 4:00 PM, Argenex said:

Just wanted to add that 3k trick points = 1k ventkids rep. It's not a 1:1 ratio.

I also agree, that since it isn't a 1:1 ratio, we should be seeing way higher numbers (IE higher than 3k "trick score") and giving us more trick options is imperative. Otherwise everyone is just going to do the same grind and hop in a circle for 20 minutes daily to get it over with, and use the archwing to get around.

A very long time ago I spent many quarters and hours in front of the arcade game 720: Skate or Die. It had so many ways to perform tricks it was pretty crazy, hard, but crazy and fun. Used a roller ball for control.

less even than 1 k, only 3/4 k its 25%