Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Physx On Cpu

Baionlenja

Question

Hay, I'd like to use the sweet PhysX effects while playing, but alas I have an AMD GPU and Nvidia is not willing to let me use PhysX even though I could and should.

But I've heard it's possible with some workarounds, but everyone is so vague about it, I found a thread about PhysX and was instructed to go to their site and find a software to do it, but that wasn't very helpful.

So I'm just going ask straight that does anyone have any good answers regarding this? 

I know about running hybrid system but can't afford to buy another CPU just for PhysX. I believe my CPU might be able to handle it but couldn't find any settings files in Warframe files to enable this.

Edited by aurghmeister

7 hours ago, RollaJoint89 said:

To everyone here you are all full of S#&$ I have proof mine runs both physX with AMD CPU

What is it with the DAMFs necroing ancient (7.5 years old in the case) post to add nothing useful?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, RollaJoint89 said:

To everyone here you are all full of S#&$ I have proof mine runs both physX with AMD CPU

Uhh... dude, Warframe doesn't use PhysX anymore. It uses it's own proprietary particle system that works on all platforms and graphics cards.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RollaJoint89 said:

learn to read,, and check when this was posted, the post is quite ancient and irrelevant technology of that gen vs current

Oh you do. You just posted thread that u want to use psyhx

I am using AMD hardware. I'm looking to use PhysX on AMD.

Nvidia didn't create PhysX. They merely bought PhysX for themselves and because of that, AMD is not allowed to have it. But what I've heard, that rule can be bypassed.

Short answer is that it's possible to enable it. The longer answer is too long for me to explain, but you can probably enable it with some googling. It requires grabbing some modded drivers, and the official physx driver as well. Not sure we can link to a bunch of sites with modded drivers, so I'll let you google what you need. Come back and let folks know how you did it. It definitely works in some other games, but no one has directly confirmed it working on their own AMD system. Note that it'll likely slow down your game considerably, knowing how inefficient Warframe currently is. I have only nvidia cards so I can't test it all or I would.

The wiki also mentions it, but without directions on how.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Running_Warframe#PhysX

Btw, you should get over your feelings against nvidia. Both nvidia and AMD (and ATI) have had some customer service issues in the past. Move on and you can enjoy the benefits of PhysX without having to run modded drivers and wasting time.

You need a motherboard that supports dual graphics cards, a Nvidia GPU for Physx, and modified drivers. When it comes to Hybrid solutions a 640 or 650 are ideal for PhysX due to their low heat and power consumption. A 460 is a viable option as well.

Edited by Lifeshield

From the mouth of Steve himself: "Nvidia helped us set up PhysX and we went with the hardware accelerated GPU setup. Radon cards don't have the necessary hardware to run GPU PhysX. I don't see this changing any time soon." Taken from one of the livestreams. Basically you will require Nvidia hardware to run it, and last I checked the Hybrid PhysX hack (primary AMD secondary Nvidia card for physx use with custom software) doesn't work with this game.

Edit - I haven't checked in a couple of months however so someone may have hacked it into a working state. Make sure you do some heavy research before you buy a secondary, low end nvidia card just to find out it does not work.

Edited by GottFaust

From the mouth of Steve himself: "Nvidia helped us set up PhysX and we went with the hardware accelerated GPU setup. Radon cards don't have the necessary hardware to run GPU PhysX. I don't see this changing any time soon." Taken from one of the livestreams. Basically you will require Nvidia hardware to run it, and last I checked the Hybrid PhysX hack (primary AMD secondary Nvidia card for physx use with custom software) doesn't work with this game.

Edit - I haven't checked in a couple of months however so someone may have hacked it into a working state. Make sure you do some heavy research before you buy a secondary, low end nvidia card just to find out it does not work.

... or ebay that radeon of yours and ebay new invidia;D

Just saying;D haters gonna hate,  lovers gonna love

... or ebay that radeon of yours and ebay new invidia;D

Just saying;D haters gonna hate,  lovers gonna love

To be honest: my main card is a GTX 670 4gb edition from EVGA.

I favor Nvidia due to the fact that they have regularly updated drivers that actually work and out-of-the-box Linux support. That doesn't mean I don't keep an ATI card around for testing however.

I do not wish to hear your opinions

...which happen to be legitimate advice. OP, if you want PhysX, you have to get an Nvidia card. It's no question that Nvidia is trouncing AMD in the Graphics department; Nvidia GPUs run, on average, more reliably than their AMD counterparts. Nvidia GPUs also tend to run cooler in temperature (and don't forget, a cool GPU is a happy GPU) than AMDs (really any AMD device runs stupid-hot, AMD has always had a problem with thermal management for their devices since the Athlon 64 chips).

I mean, sure, Nvidia tends to be more expensive than AMD, but if you want quality hardware, you will have to shell out a bit more money. A lot of EEs and CEs I know call AMD GPUs the 'Beta' products full of glitches and 'bleeding edge' you get at a reduced price, while Nvidia is the stable "release" that costs a bit more.

...which happen to be legitimate advice. OP

He was basically contributing nothing to the thread except for "XDDDD SELL ADM GET NVUDUA ;;D" I've heard that enough, thank you.

-edit: changed my mind about answering to the other claims, no need to make this a fanboy war again ( simply put, you won't change my mind, only annoy a little)-

Edited by aurghmeister

...which happen to be legitimate advice. OP, if you want PhysX, you have to get an Nvidia card. It's no question that Nvidia is trouncing AMD in the Graphics department; Nvidia GPUs run, on average, more reliably than their AMD counterparts. Nvidia GPUs also tend to run cooler in temperature (and don't forget, a cool GPU is a happy GPU) than AMDs (really any AMD device runs stupid-hot, AMD has always had a problem with thermal management for their devices since the Athlon 64 chips).

I mean, sure, Nvidia tends to be more expensive than AMD, but if you want quality hardware, you will have to shell out a bit more money. A lot of EEs and CEs I know call AMD GPUs the 'Beta' products full of glitches and 'bleeding edge' you get at a reduced price, while Nvidia is the stable "release" that costs a bit more.

Don't do that false fanboy Nvidia thing, they both have obvious flaws and obvious ups and both have great GPUs. What you pretty much said is that Nvidia is superior because they have PhysX... mmk. Even though I can play Borderlands 2 with maxed PhysX off of my CPU with a AMD GPU. It's more just the fact that they didn't think of adding in alternates for PhysX use during the making of this game. I've played countless games with PhysX that allow full use of it off of your CPU instead of the GPU if you don't have a Nvidia card.

Don't do that false fanboy Nvidia thing, they both have obvious flaws and obvious ups and both have great GPUs. What you pretty much said is that Nvidia is superior because they have PhysX... mmk. Even though I can play Borderlands 2 with maxed PhysX off of my CPU with a AMD GPU. It's more just the fact that they didn't think of adding in alternates for PhysX use during the making of this game. I've played countless games with PhysX that allow full use of it off of your CPU instead of the GPU if you don't have a Nvidia card.

Just so you know, the GPU implementation is far more powerful and capable of far more complex effects than the CPU implementation.

Case-in-point: they have had to get rid of almost all of the complex movement and cut out half of the particles on the PhysX for the PS3 version which is using a hybrid implementation that is already superior to the purely CPU variant.

Lol at AMD gpus running hotter. My MSI Twin Frozr III R7950 3gb would like words with you.

Lets see, the 7950 Frozr III which uses a custom cooling solution which is significantly more expensive and effective than the standard one runs at 57 degrees celcius during an average gaming session according to Tom's Hardware. A stock 7950 averages 72. A stock 680 averages 65 according to the same sight. Based on that info: he is correct.