Why doesn't Warframe use HRTF?

auxy

TL;DR Warframe could have vastly improved positional audio with only a very modest CPU requirement increase as a trade-off.

For those unfamiliar, HRTF stands for "head-related transfer function." In the context of computer game audio, it refers to specialized audio processing that can make sounds feel much more "positional." This is what older, hardware-accelerated methods such as Aureal A3D and Creative Labs' EAX Advanced HD were doing to create such amazing and immersive audio effects.

Windows' sound API changed in Windows Vista and hardware-accelerated audio is no longer supported. However, computers are so fast now that software HRTF processing is very easy to do. This does not have any additional labor budget for the audio staff and is (once again, like my flashlight button request) really more of an engine feature than an audio team thing, because it doesn't require any modification of existing assets.

For proper, 100% correct HRTF you would have to use a transfer function that matches the shape of your head, but a general one like the CIAIR profile will work well enough for most people and is a gigantic improvement over the simple stereo panning that Warframe uses.

Mostly I'd like to see if there's any interest in the idea from DE, but DE never replies to my posts so this whole thing was probably a waste of time, heh.

See the reply from FRAMEWAR down the page a bit. Thanks George!

Edited by auxy

• 2 weeks later...

Warframe doesn't even support proper surround sound to this day. Audio channels are either missing completely (7.1) or grossly misbalanced (5.1).

We're far from getting real 3D HRTF support at this rate and I'm surprised we don't have more people bugging DE about the audio issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-11-10 at 7:55 PM, auxy said:

TL;DR Warframe could have vastly improved positional audio with only a very modest CPU requirement increase as a trade-off.

For those unfamiliar, HRTF stands for "head-related transfer function." In the context of computer game audio, it refers to specialized audio processing that can make sounds feel much more "positional." This is what older, hardware-accelerated methods such as Aureal A3D and Creative Labs' EAX Advanced HD were doing to create such amazing and immersive audio effects.

Windows' sound API changed in Windows Vista and hardware-accelerated audio is no longer supported. However, computers are so fast now that software HRTF processing is very easy to do. This does not have any additional labor budget for the audio staff and is (once again, like my flashlight button request) really more of an engine feature than an audio team thing, because it doesn't require any modification of existing assets.

For proper, 100% correct HRTF you would have to use a transfer function that matches the shape of your head, but a general one like the CIAIR profile will work well enough for most people and is a gigantic improvement over the simple stereo panning that Warframe uses.

Mostly I'd like to see if there's any interest in the idea from DE, but DE never replies to my posts so this whole thing was probably a waste of time, heh.

is it posible that you can provide some, am curious to see some cool examples or games that use it in action, like what will warframe feel like with hrtf? can you at least grab some games examples?

Sure! Proper HRTF is barely used anymore -- possibly because it's too CPU-heavy for the game consoles, or possibly because developers don't feel it's worth it. As a result, the only examples I have of newer games that you can load up right now to hear the effect are Overwatch with its Dolby Atmos support, or CS:GO with its default HRTF setting. Lots of older PC games supported the aforementioned Aureal and Creative technologies, but you'll need to use a DirectSound3D wrapper to make those work on modern Windows. I recommend DSOAL. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...