Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

K-Drives are kind of useless right now

Kobold101

What if we could cast one handed action abilities on the K-Drive and also make it so that the Weather can affect the performance of Archwings, making the K-Drive a more consistent and useful means of travel? Also why not make it so that tricks fill up a bar which speeds up boosts even further?

K-Drive dismount attack should be able to kill small clusters of trash, right from the start. Upgrading parts and adding mods should increase the radius to clear large waves, and add status effects to cripple stronger enemies.

I think it would be really cool if a high level mod could give the board AI, so that after dismounting it flies around slicing up enemies for a few seconds.

This is probably way too much work for the devs, but it would be amazing if each frame also added their own unique effects to the dismount attack.

K drive has a very real purpose, hunting is far more convenient because of your speed, while arch wing is faster for long range movement, its really not that big an advantage if you are not going a fairly long distance, past that, most the times you use the arch wing for combat purposes its because you are to lazy to land, not because the height bonus is even that useful, because as is, normally being on the same plane is better for shooting as the target profile is a lot larger, and misses will often hit enemies behind the target, not the ground beside them, while kdrives do need some for of utility, the ability to melee like cavalry, or using your side arm would would be great for allowing hover boards to be used tactically while also rail grinding, as for standing, the standing in the faction is slow, mostly because the races don't give any standing, because they are free to start right now, later they should give points, and will cost loan bonds to try, I saw that in the patch notes somewhere 

1 hour ago, DeathsDayOff said:

K drive has a very real purpose, hunting is far more convenient because of your speed, while arch wing is faster for long range movement, its really not that big an advantage if you are not going a fairly long distance, past that, most the times you use the arch wing for combat purposes its because you are to lazy to land, not because the height bonus is even that useful, because as is, normally being on the same plane is better for shooting as the target profile is a lot larger, and misses will often hit enemies behind the target, not the ground beside them, while kdrives do need some for of utility, the ability to melee like cavalry, or using your side arm would would be great for allowing hover boards to be used tactically while also rail grinding, as for standing, the standing in the faction is slow, mostly because the races don't give any standing, because they are free to start right now, later they should give points, and will cost loan bonds to try, I saw that in the patch notes somewhere 

"hunting is more convenient because of your speed" not sure what you mean. If you mean covering small distances to reach nearby enemies, ok.

But the archwing can do the same thing, only faster.

If by "hunting" you mean tracking animals for preservation, that´s just nuts.

So yea, the K-drive is only for the "cool factor" and nothing more.

If you want performance, you´re better off with the archwing.

3 minutes ago, Fenrys_Delta said:

"hunting is more convenient because of your speed" not sure what you mean. If you mean covering small distances to reach nearby enemies, ok.

But the archwing can do the same thing, only faster.

If by "hunting" you mean tracking animals for preservation, that´s just nuts.

So yea, the K-drive is only for the "cool factor" and nothing more.

If you want performance, you´re better off with the archwing.

I mean that you can follow the tracks far faster then you can on foot because the board is stable and goes a reasonable pace when you are not boosting, it doesn't sound right, but if you use the board for hunting, it is actually very convenient and, the arch wing really isn't better at covering short distances, its good for medium and long range targets, shorter rides are generally better for the K drive simply because the arching has to take time to change elevation, while the k drive can just jump a wall with no time or effort taken to get the height needed to gain that, while an arching has to use some of its speed. so no, the k drive has uses, they are just not as useful as they are fun, but they are most defiantly better when it comes to tracking, and going short distances, particularly if you are looking for something that has more skill involved in it then fly up a little bit, then face your destination, and wait some, in the end when it comes down to it, the goal of the game is to have fun, archwing are not fun, k drives are fun, which makes them have infinitely more use then archwings because archwings fail the main goal of games in general, enjoy yourself, not be bored to get to something fun, a kboard will get you to your location slower then the archwing, but each part of the trip is enjoyable, from skating past random corpus patrols, to seeing how far you can push it untill you eat it. and that is often far more fun then combat that you have done many times, but with a few more units and slightly changed objective, same for mining and fishing, animal conservation is a relaxing task, but it is made better by the k drive, making the kdrive not a part of fortuna makes the update far less fun. The kboard has problems, but as is its still a hell of a lot better then the archwing.

2 hours ago, DeathsDayOff said:

I mean that you can follow the tracks far faster then you can on foot because the board is stable and goes a reasonable pace when you are not boosting, it doesn't sound right, but if you use the board for hunting, it is actually very convenient and, the arch wing really isn't better at covering short distances, its good for medium and long range targets, shorter rides are generally better for the K drive simply because the arching has to take time to change elevation, while the k drive can just jump a wall with no time or effort taken to get the height needed to gain that, while an arching has to use some of its speed. so no, the k drive has uses, they are just not as useful as they are fun, but they are most defiantly better when it comes to tracking, and going short distances, particularly if you are looking for something that has more skill involved in it then fly up a little bit, then face your destination, and wait some, in the end when it comes down to it, the goal of the game is to have fun, archwing are not fun, k drives are fun, which makes them have infinitely more use then archwings because archwings fail the main goal of games in general, enjoy yourself, not be bored to get to something fun, a kboard will get you to your location slower then the archwing, but each part of the trip is enjoyable, from skating past random corpus patrols, to seeing how far you can push it untill you eat it. and that is often far more fun then combat that you have done many times, but with a few more units and slightly changed objective, same for mining and fishing, animal conservation is a relaxing task, but it is made better by the k drive, making the kdrive not a part of fortuna makes the update far less fun. The kboard has problems, but as is its still a hell of a lot better then the archwing.

lol some tracks are hard to follow even by foot. I wouldn´t recommend doing it with the k-drive.

And as I said, cool factor, yes, the k-drive is nice.

But the archwing still outperform it by far.

Maybe if they buff the k-drive speed mods.

uhm so kdrive need something to be better than archwing? well lets use k drive on normal mission not just the open world. i mean those damage dealing k-drive mods mostly deal damage in 4 meter radius, not very effective if your enemies can shoot you from more than 20m away, atleast in my opinion.

K-Drive with ability also doesnt sound so bad.

If you're going focused for bounties then AW is better, you fly in a straight line and just "go there". To explore and move around looking forgems, fishing and troubles K-Drive is much more precise and the occasional trick here and there makes it also very funny. I don't have any K-Drive mod but I suppose they could make it much much faster?

2 hours ago, den2k said:

If you're going focused for bounties then AW is better, you fly in a straight line and just "go there". To explore and move around looking forgems, fishing and troubles K-Drive is much more precise and the occasional trick here and there makes it also very funny. I don't have any K-Drive mod but I suppose they could make it much much faster?

I'm pretty sure you can only increase its speed by 30% which wont make it all that much faster. 
Can you even see gems on the map while using the K-Drive?

9 minutes ago, Raqiya said:

I'm pretty sure you can only increase its speed by 30% which wont make it all that much faster. 
Can you even see gems on the map while using the K-Drive?

Hardly but when I get into a nice rocky area or if I descend to kick some Corpus backplates I give a check with the scanner. Just mucking around in the plains... K-Drive is perfect for that.

Going downhill should build momentum. Yall ever ridden on a skateboard before? One time I tried to go straight down a hill on a longboard - I almost died. I was going way faster than any K-Drive in Warframe. Apparently you're supposed to zig-zag so you DONT die.

Edited by Gnohme

2 hours ago, Fenrys_Delta said:

So NOT this.

Bringing back the major pita of consumable archwings just because a few people wanted to play space Tony Hawk?

HELL, no.

idk whats so hard about just buffing K-drives or giving them something Archwing doesn't have.

On 2018-11-10 at 2:01 PM, AetherBreaker said:

You do realize that playing games is something you do for fun, (atleast in the case of warframe) so if your not playing for fun then why are you here?

We're all here for the grind to min max everything and be the most efficient.  K-Drives are fine to mess around with occassionally, but other than Tenno Hawks Pro Skater, they really have no use over the archwing.  Hmm, I gotta get over to this point for this mission with lots of bad guys to fight.  Which would be best to use, the slower hoverboard used by kids that has no guns, no special attacks or abilities, and just hovers off the ground, or the flying space jet pack that lets me use my guns, flies, and has several special abilities and even one or two useful ones?  Hhhhmmmmm think think.

3 hours ago, Kobold101 said:

idk whats so hard about just buffing K-drives or giving them something Archwing doesn't have.

I´m all out for a k-drive buff, but that´s not what he called for.

He was not asking for a k-drive buff, he was asking for an archwing NERF.

Consumable archwings again? Nope, not gonna fly. (pun intended)

If the archwings ever get the precise movement they should have (it's a fly by wire jetpack so the movement should be identical to the ground game), then K-Drives are gonna be something I'll pull out while grinding the rep faction.

That said, I think having an occasional cloud that kills visibility on Venus would be a good compromise and force players to the ground.the ground - so long as it's not out all the time.

The real problem is that we have flight long before we had the ground mounts...

Maybe have the KDrive's usable on missions?

1 minute ago, Almagnus1 said:

If the archwings ever get the precise movement they should have (it's a fly by wire jetpack so the movement should be identical to the ground game), then K-Drives are gonna be something I'll pull out while grinding the rep faction.

That said, I think having an occasional cloud that kills visibility on Venus would be a good compromise and force players to the ground.the ground - so long as it's not out all the time.

The real problem is that we have flight long before we had the ground mounts...

Maybe have the KDrive's usable on missions?

Would you like to be "forced" to do anything?

Would be nice to have more usability out of the k-drive, but not at the expense of the archwing.

When DE finally fix the races and expand on them, like making a bounty that consists of you racing  against your group, for instance.

There are a few ways of making the k-drive more interesting without crippling other aspect of the game that people already enjoy.

11 minutes ago, Sneaky._.Cupcake said:

In my opinion, K-Drive is a great addition just to have fun with. Not meant to be extremely useful and REPLACE archwing in any way. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I can totally see how it can be worth picking up, just to play around with doing tricks/slide with style etc. I think it was mostly made for casual/veteran players, that don't really care about grind and getting everywhere ASAP, but instead for those who are here just to enjoy the game and have some fun.

Yup. It's quite funny and the dynamic dismount animations are as cool as they can be - jumping out of a speeding hoverboard with a double somersault blasting the hapless corpus below with automatic fire from Pyranha Prima (or a gout of Ignis Wraith love)? Yes please 😄

True. I was thinking about this the other day. Unfortunately Itzal makes pretty much any other form of travel obsolete. I mean, come on, it's a teleporting jetpack!

K-Drive -- boost the maneuverability. Definitely allow us to use our weapons and abilities on the k-drive. Let us use them in regular missions too. Then it will be a real alternative to on foot combat.

If you get on a K-drive while holding a Tranq Gun, you'll still see all the starter poo waypoints.
All I'm asking for right now, is that mining lasers do the same (show me nodes while I'm hoverboarding).
Right now I just walk between bounty waypoints because of ores & gems.