Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

K-Drives are kind of useless right now

Kobold101

I have to agree with this, and I feel DE should've taken notes from games like World of Warcraft: WoW specifically restricts players from going on flying mounts when initially exploring new areas, for example, because whenever players can fly, they will fly, and thereby make the map much smaller. These same players also end up only going on ground mounts when they're not allowed to fly, because flying is faster in every respect, providing more raw speed and allowing for easier navigation around obstacles. This exact same problem exists with K-Drives and Archwing right now, such that traveling by Archwing will always be quicker and more convenient than traveling by K-Drive, especially since right now players can't even shoot while on the latter.

Personally, what I think might help, and more so than disabling Archwing, might be to just double the boosted speed on K-Drives, so that traveling by ground is faster than travel by air. Nerfing movement speeds on Archwing in open levels could perhaps also accommodate this. Archwing will always have the advantage over K-Drives of allowing for 3-dimensional travel, and thus the bypassing of obstacles. In this respect, K-Driving should have the advantage of being faster on foot to compensate.

On 2018-11-10 at 8:43 AM, Kobold101 said:

While I do think it's one of the best mount systems I've seen since Defiance, it's rendered completely obselete by the existence of Archwing. Not only is Archwing faster, and you can use weapons on it, but it's also a flying mount, which invalidate ground mounts even if they move at 1/2 the speed, because that extra axis of movement means just that much.

K-Drive needs buffs and to do stuff Archwing can't in order to make it worth using, because in its current state, there's 0 reason to use it outside of 'fun'.

I was talking with a buddy earlier, I told him that I wanted to be able to play music from my K-Drive like Octavia can with her Grineer boombox. I also want to be able to upgrade it to have big ol' thrusters on them for that true afterburner feel, chain guns, rocket launchers, a frontal area that can be converted into a battering ram, the ability to stencil and customize your K-Drive using a mix of decals, the works. That would make K-Drives awesome by combining a mix of 80's and 90's ideas while retaining the purpose of warframes - pure destruction.

3 hours ago, Sneaky._.Cupcake said:

In my opinion, K-Drive is a great addition just to have fun with. Not meant to be extremely useful and REPLACE archwing in any way. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I can totally see how it can be worth picking up, just to play around with doing tricks/slide with style etc. I think it was mostly made for casual/veteran players, that don't really care about grind and getting everywhere ASAP, but instead for those who are here just to enjoy the game and have some fun.

I have to wonder when fun and useful became mutually exclusive. This has irked me since the creation of Peculiar mods; like the potential for them was buried in the idea that they're just for fun and somehow are absolved from critique or usefulness.

It's possible for us to have both. I use them at most for an hour straight everyday since it's impossible for me to (literally) grind 27,000 standing through casual map traversal and AFTER that I see no point in really riding around whilst doing bounties since abilities and weapons are kind of needed.

One can enjoy something, have fun with it and still want it to be better. After turning off V-Sync I've had a blast during my hour of standing grind, now that I'm able to get upwards of 40 multipliers, for no reason other than to see how high I can get due to the per trick cap. 

OP has noted that they enjoyed the K-Drive, but there's not much practicality to them and that is valuable critique. In my opinion it's counter productive to spend so much time on a system to have "fun" be the hinging factor. 

9 hours ago, Fenrys_Delta said:

Would you like to be "forced" to do anything?

Would be nice to have more usability out of the k-drive, but not at the expense of the archwing.

When DE finally fix the races and expand on them, like making a bounty that consists of you racing  against your group, for instance.

There are a few ways of making the k-drive more interesting without crippling other aspect of the game that people already enjoy.

If we're getting dynamic clouds (weather) in the open world zones, then I'd be for it as (like in RL) there are times when the conditions are just too bad to fly.

To me, at least, having to contend with weather on planets with the archwing would actually make it a far more realistic experience - assuming the archwing controls were actually improved upon that is.  That would also open the way for another addition to the archwing (like the launcher) that would give you a radar overlay so that you could "see" the terrain through the clouds via a radar rendering.

Guys i think i found a clue on future concept of "k-drive over archwing".

have you guys notice that the border in the vallis covered in snow storm? try walk to the edge of the map and you will found ur self get slowed and the vision goes grayscale, same thing happen if you try to go to the edge with archwing. but try use your k-drive, its unaffected.

i think, its possible in the future of vallis that we will have a thicc snowstorm that, while walking and archwing got crippled k-drive will be the answer.

besides i remember the sentence that include "stay warm" before the fortuna release, but i cant seems to find any place that we could get frozen in the vallis(except those borders). 

tell me what you guys think about this

4 minutes ago, Dhan1412 said:

have you guys notice that the border in the vallis covered in snow storm? try walk to the edge of the map and you will found ur self get slowed and the vision goes grayscale, same thing happen if you try to go to the edge with archwing. but try use your k-drive, its unaffected.

i think, its possible in the future of vallis that we will have a thicc snowstorm that, while walking and archwing got crippled k-drive will be the answer

tell me what you guys think about this

Good point, I never tried it 😄 We know there is missing content though:

* huge arachnids are not yet engageable in combat and we know they will be;

* Snow storms were planned, there is none right now because I suppose they'd like to iron out the bugs of this release right now.

Fortuna is still a Work In Progress, Fortunately.