Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Helmet Issue

TerraNovaX

During the livestream, it sounded like there was a lot of controversy about helmets having their own stat fixes. And I haven't noticed a thread about it so i'm making one because I want to hear some discussion on it, and share my own. Having helmets with stats and/or without stats has it's perks and disadvantages. But I will list some basic things;

Helmets with stats

Some of the stat changes are great, power duration of the Trinity, speed for the Rhino, power range for Mag. These buffs are very helpful and useful to have on a frame. The really big problem I see is, the helmets aren't really the ones 'I' want to use on my frame. I think Rhino with a Thrak helmet looks awesome, but since it only makes him slower, I don't really like using it unless i'm on a defense based mission. On the flip side, Ash's Scorpion helmet. I really like the design of this helmet, but it bothers me because the decreased power efficiency is something I really don't like seeing on a frame. The biggest problem with this set-up is the tradeoff. Do I use a helmet I want to? Or do I use a helmet for the buffs? If a helmet has both? Great! But far too many times I encounter the trade-off issue.

Helmets without stats

Take the tradeoff issue, and completely throw it out the window. Pick the helmet you want to use, make the warframe special and customized on how the player wants it, and that's final. The only problem with this is, many many players are going to miss those stat buffs. Having that speed buff on Rhino is very nice, because it dosen't mean we need to use a Rush mod just to make him quicker. But we can also avoid people using a 'ugly helmet just for it's buff. This way we will see warframes set up to be the way the players wants it.

Why settle for one? Why not have both?

I suggest allowing the players to choose whatever helmet they wish, but then also choose one of the two buffs for it, or none at all. For example, the Trinity. I like how the Meridian Helmet, but I want the Aura's buff instead of the one it offers. Would it be possible to let the player pick?

Questions, Comments, Ideas? Tell me what you think

im acually reminded of Terraria's armor menu. theres two collums, your social collum, and your armor collum, the armor is the one that give you the status effect. and the social is the one that's displayed. so i could dress up as a total noobie, but have meteorite or hallowed armor. This would work perfectly for warframe. i like how menticide for nyx looks. but dislike the buffs/debuffs.  i like how..er.. the other one with the powerbuff's buff's. but i hate how it looks. if we can wear one helm for cosmetics and one for buff's it would entirely make this whole thing a non issue. and also let the next generation helmets have buffs because if you like the look but not the buff it doesnt matter. but if you like the buff but not the look, it STILL doesnt matter!

The issue I have with separating the helmets and the stats is that teammates may not know what buffs you're using. I definitely think that the tradeoff stat boosts are a cool idea, and for some frames the helmets have excellent boosts (vanguard rhino, aura trinity). I just want to see more different combinations of stats on newer helmets, not see them removed altogether. as for the aesthetics, I think it is part of the cost of the helmet (also I prefer aura over all of trinity's other helmets, so its a win-win). or, vice-versa, the stats are a cost for wearing a cool helmet. either way, your team knows what buffs/debuffs you have

I have yet to actly watch the live stream recently first off, but in this case of argument, I would like to see both happen. this way, it wont turn into TF2 hats, but we still get the ability to customize, so in other words all helmets have two different types, one with stats, one without, and possibly two very slimier but slightly different models to differ them.

this is also a good chance for the game to get some cash, but statless helms could be what you buy, and the ones you get from missions could be the state ones. 

The issue I have with separating the helmets and the stats is that teammates may not know what buffs you're using. I definitely think that the tradeoff stat boosts are a cool idea, and for some frames the helmets have excellent boosts (vanguard rhino, aura trinity). I just want to see more different combinations of stats on newer helmets, not see them removed altogether. as for the aesthetics, I think it is part of the cost of the helmet (also I prefer aura over all of trinity's other helmets, so its a win-win). or, vice-versa, the stats are a cost for wearing a cool helmet. either way, your team knows what buffs/debuffs you have

I don't see how that information affects any teammates outside of rhino:

Thrak: Fatass.

Vanguard: leave some for us you dirty kill hog.

Maybe acquiring a helmet could unlock a buff that could be later chosen from drop-down menu in customization screen while helmet (as cosmetics should remain buffless)? This should do the trick.

Or totally separate buffs and helmets and make them into, let's say technology blueprints rewarded by nightmare runs (just not to clutter alerts and void any more).

Edited by xGryphus

While you make a good point, the buffs mostly affect the player. However, knowing that a mag has extended range on her helmet isn't going to be the most helpful thing ever. Most of the buffs aren't exactly noticable unless they are buffing somethin like, power efficiency or speed. Either way, knowing your teamates buffs wont help much. That would be more arguable for Aura's.

Was actually hopping on the forums to suggest this myself!

So yes, I definitely agree.

Although, you should still 'unlock' the stat bonuses by unlocking it's respective helm. That way you can easily mesh the old, with anything new :D

It'd require a new interface though, but I can't imagine they weren't already working on something to begin with. It's kinda cluttered with all of the helms, shoulder icons, and new stances as it is.

Edited by Stinker

I'm torn as to whether the stats should be separated from the cosmetics or not. On the one hand, Ash's statless head crab helm looks about a million times cooler than the Locust helm which gives you more energy, but makes you look like a #$$ elf. On the other hand, if you see a Volt sporting a Pulse helm, you know he's built for Speed and not Overload.

I'm torn as to whether the stats should be separated from the cosmetics or not. On the one hand, Ash's statless head crab helm looks about a million times cooler than the Locust helm which gives you more energy, but makes you look like a #$$ elf. On the other hand, if you see a Volt sporting a Pulse helm, you know he's built for Speed and not Overload.

I feel that you should not sacrifice cosmetics or whatnot jusst because you want a cool stat. That is why TF2 players always look wierd and covered in random stuff. They want the good stats and don't care about looks, while others want that look and will sacrifice stats for it. Such a trade-off isn't necisarry