Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ember 9.8: Feedback Thread

[DE]Megan

An obviously bad change. Who gives a damn what her original concept was? Same as with Mag, her tool set doesn't really match her intended role at all. Now she's pretty much a squishy caster type frame with a bunch of powers that are only really good up close against enemies (infested) you don't want to be near (especially not if you're playing a squishy type caster frame that's reliant on energy!). As it is now, her strengths play right into her weaknesses, which is just absurd. 

Plus, what with energy being what it is, “caster type frame” might as well be synonymous with “bad”, but that's another complaint entirely. 

Edited by WarTuba

hokay, having played her new state, I have to say this - 

Scott. I understand that sometimes things go not the way you expected them to be, and the temporal solution may be coming out into a different direction, but I hope you too know that, when changing things, especially things people care about, not only the original idea should be taken into consideration, but also what you have on your hands, what hope people have invested in what you have created.

And what you have created is a tanky frame, that was fun to play with. Not an all-dps frame. Not a glass cannon. You fixed Overheat once, and you made it *perfect*. Sometimes, there's nothing more permanent than a temporal solution, and you should not have tried to fix what was not broken.

Changing the ability that has had became her major point does not strike me as a smart decision. Neither it sounds like something a man who cares about people playing this frame and about this frame  would do, but I understand that neither of those is true, and, as with many changes warframe has gone through, this is just an attempt to see what you can do before making it right.

And to make it right, you just have to make one simple thing - revert Overheat back, and accept it how it is, not wasting time on what is already good, when there are more glaring issues at hand.

Issues like, say, Fireball. Or Fireblast. 

You claimed to have fixed both, and I applaud the attention you have given, but there is a simple detail that ruins it a bit - both abilities are as flawed as they were.

Don't get me wrong, the new damage of the fireblast is quite delicious, but it only works if you can trap the enemies in that circle of fire it produces, and, aside from the infested, crossing the border does little to the enemies. This still still begs for a rework into a proper cc ability, that would make it shine. 

Same goes for Fireball. I have no other way of describing it's damage than "completely insignificant". Weak damage skills have no use in this game, and fireball was, and is a proof of that. There is much you could do with it, and will do as my hope suggests. Change it into a fiery explosion that throws the foes around, make it a contagious DoT, that can burn entire crowd if given enough time, make it burn down enemies armour with time, but don't leave it like this. 

I trust you understand how to make it better, Scott, but I beg you to listen to what others have to say, too.

If you feel that a change will be hated by the frames' users - you probably should rethink that change and prepare to revert it.

This, I can't agree anymore. You have to realize, even WITH overheat before as it was, Ember is still squishy enough that if you activate it at the wrong time, or don't take your surroundings into consideration (especially with armor piercing enemies like the evicerators) that overheat can still be a liability. I'm entirely aware Ember shouldn't be a tanking warframe, even with overheat before, she still wasn't. It was something to use in conjunction with her World on Fire to minimize the damage she takes from needing to be farily close to the enemy to use it. But to say she's a heavy damage warframe when 2/3rds of the enemies in the game resist fire is also misleading. So to differentiate her from her superior damaging counterparts like Nova, you gotta have some utility to offset that. As mentioned before, as is, fireball is nearly useless (I've never come across a situation where it was ever beneficial to use one over another ability), and fireblast has issues with HOW it deals damage, moreover, how little damage it already deals in comparison to WoF.

Consider another point if you will. Weapons have mods that can overcome heavy armor types and resistances basically like armor piercing, or elemental mods. Warfames do not. There is no way outside of focus to actually offset the inherent fire resistance for most enemies outside of infested.

This seems like a poor decision in both the short run & the long run of the game.  Ember's only non-damage ability was Overheat.  With 4 damage abilities she is officially a 1-trick pony with little-to-no usage outside of that role.

The fire damage is semi-useful in the lower levels of the game, but as enemy levels increases, the utility of these powers rapidly approaches zero.  That's the short-term problem.  But even if there is an armor overhaul / elemental damage buff, this change removes all incoming damage mitigation & crowd control.  That's a long-term problem that won't go away.

I'd suggest returning Overheat to it's previous form, but also altering Fireblast to be less of a damage ability & more of a crowd control ability that pushes enemies out of the circle, causes them to experience the "on fire" animation which effectively temporarily stuns them, etc.  This would make it more along the lines of snow globe, except that it mitigates incoming melee instead of incoming gunfire.

As he said, if you do consider leaving overheat as is, at least consider the current changes for ember's existing abilities.

This is not meant to be a criticism of game design, or a complaint because I've come to use Ember in such away since she was added (I've been using her since around the time Banshee was added I believe), its just usually these balance modifications are a give/take type of thing, with more taking happening than giving this time around. Just realize when you make these changes, especially to a Warframe with a vague goal of "heavy damage" that they're going to be measure up to 'other' heavy damage warframes. And so far, it looks like Nova comes out ahead this time, that's all.

I'm probably going to take a break from warframe until they fix her, it should take awhile until update 10 and im still waiting on an Ignis fix anyways. This is by no means an empty threat, it makes very little difference if one player of millions stops playing for awhile. However what made playing Ember fun and synergetic has been removed, so there's no reason to keep making myself angry about it by logging in everytime just to remember how unusable my gold potato'd 3 forma'd (one of which was the aura slot) Ember has become. It was a a stretch even before with all the ability mods, like flow, focus, stretch, etc, and my banhsee un-potato'd was outperforming it damage wise, and had some CC/utility abilities to boot. I'll just repeat what I said before and then leave the thread as is:

I understand you WANT Ember to be a damage intensive warframe, however you realize there's an entire faction of enemies that have resistance to her damage type; a problem that neither banshee or nova encounter, or even to some degree Saryn/Mag. So you either have to remove the fire resistance to enemies, or realize that to make her a damage warframe is an oxymoron given the meta you had created. Overheat, has and always will be an ability to be used in synnergy with her playstyle, which STILL has a casting time and energy cost/time limit, so it is not something you can spam and hope for the best, you still need to play around that with a higher degree of risk, than you would as a Frost or Rhino, simply because her defenses are still low no matter how you look at it, and you'd be surprised how much damage can happen in the few frames it takes to cast Overheat, moreover, its not like she isn't taking damage at all, she IS. And its just enough to get in and get out quickly for whatever purpose it is. I understand the first nerf, that was to reduce it to 90 % with focus, that was fine, it was too powerful before, but I ask of you to PLEASE bring it BACK to that original state, this is a change that won't work, I have tested it for myself.

Edited by ScoobleDaNooble

I think part of her inherent problem is that she has the stats of a mage: fairly low defences with a high max energy,

but has the skill set of a warrior: a low damage ranged ability and many local AoE's with a small defense boost.

Either she needs her stats adjusted to better synergize with the melee-sentric skill set or her skills reworked to transform her into a true mage archetype.

A fusion could work, but her marginal defenses would need to be compensated by either increasing her passive defenses (low skill) or forcing the player to manage overheat (high skill). and possibly altering her abilities to give Ember a truly notable ranged ability.

I love Ember, but having 3 abilities that are effectively the same (2,3,4) and another ability whose utility is dubious does not feel great.

Hopefully the impending damage rework will resolve this sooner than another touch up pass or full on rework might take.

tl;dr for the thread so far:

Having exclusively damage abilities is one-dimensional, ie it's boring.

All of Ember's abilities require that she get up close and personal with enemies, even though she's a squishy character.

Reworks need to focus on changing these two problems.

I'm sorry, but. What you guys did with Overheat was just make it useless.

Yes, useless.

You guys ever REALIZED how LOW Ember's Armor is? 10 Armor. Yes. THAT LOW.

I'm sorry, but, sums it up with Ember's below average Shield and Health, she's next to worthless in melee fight. And what Fire Skin encourage is a melee, or close range fight.

Well, guess what.

NO ONE WANTS TO FISTICUFF WITH EMBER. IT'S SUICIDE.

Have you ever get cornered by level 60 Chargers before? Have you ever tried to melee your way out without Overheat's help? NO. I bet you've never been in THAT deadly situation.

Overheat is the only way out from such situation, and it's ESSENTIALLY NEEDED FOR EMBER'S SURVIVAL IN GENERAL.

Anything, from Grakata to Seer, able to kill her in 9 SECONDS after her shield depletes, and she already have max leveled Vitality on her.

9 SECONDS! Max Leveled Vitality! That's how weak she is!

I know what you thinking, "Ember is DPS frame, therefore fragile." I can respect that, but..

No.. Just, that's not enough. That doesn't justify how bad this decision is. That's the WORST reasoning you could've ever made.

Extreme fragility is NOT balanced when the enemies can mob you without limits. When they have unlimited fire-power to throw at you.

Extreme fragility is NOT fun, because dying is inevitable.

Extreme fragility is NOT fun, because Ember can NEVER RETALIATE, because of how specific her skills are.

DYING because WE can't DEFEND OURSELVES IS NOT FUN. IT NEVER WAS.

What you just create is NOT a glass cannon, it's a GLASS. Period.

You want to know what the majority see in Ember?

A frame that IS FRAGILE, but able to keep her footing BY HERSELF, EVEN in the WORST SITUATION possible for a fragile frame.

THAT is Ember. THAT is what we see in Ember, before this flipping update.

With this change, this is not Ember.

What you just made is a dead flop of meat that spit fires, that does no damage at all to Grineer and Corpus, the major factions on your own game.

Yeah, remember them? Grineer with 20% resistance to fire, and Corpus who has 50% resistance? Remember about them? Remember that we're forced to use our guns, sometimes under heavy fire, to efficiently kill them?

Think about this. Okay? Think about NOT on SPECIFYING HER, BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T NEED IT.

She NEVER WAS a DPS frame. She's a multi-role, Jack-of-MOST-trade.

DON'T force her as a DPS because you think she is.

What possibly the best option is? Well.

REVERT OVERHEAT TO WHAT IT WAS, AND LEAVE IT BE.

..I guess that's all. I've made my point.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone.

I just hope you great peeps never made this same mistake you've made with Volt.

DEMegan, And Scott,

I know you probably have many players who have come to this thread in rallied support or hatred for the changes intended to help bring Ember back to her proper state, but I have but one question to ask of Scott in particular: Was the change to overheat really necessary?

I'm not saying this as a gripe, but to give some insight to what have been an over-estimation on the part of the dev team. There are many players of Warframe that have played many other games. For those of us that remember the glory days of Final Fantasy XI, I can honestly compare Ember to the Ninja class. Ninja was originally designed to be a damage dealer, using powerful ninja magic to enfeeble their foes before blowing them up with elemental magic, all while cutting them to shreads with strong physical attacks and elementally aligned weapon skills. Somewhere along the lines, someone discovered that one of the skills, known as Utsusemi, allows a Ninja to tank. In fact, with the right player, they tanked so expertly that they shamed every other tank in the game by a vast margin. Even though I refused to accept Ninja as a tank class, I could not deny that masterful players of the class were some of the best tanks I've ever played with.

What does this have to do with Overheat? You may not like it, and it may leave you with a sour taste in your mouth, but Overheat is not what made Ember tankworthy. Mitigating damage is a potent means of survival, which is something admirable given her vulnerable nature. It is never enough to have the enemy shoot you in the face. Being a tank means making enemies -want- to shoot you in the face over and over until their guns explode from overheating. If a player has discovered the art of turning this skill into a potent tanking asset by becoming a reckless Enmity/Aggro machine, they should be applauded, not punished.

While I understand that the dev team wants each frame to fit a role that is complete unique, even you must accept that players will become masters at doing what hadn't been considered. Not every wants to play a frame as designed. Regardless of what you do, they will try to take things to the next level by pursuing goals outside the norm.

I hope that I enjoy the vision you all had intended for Ember, as I have not yet had an opportunity to see how things are since the update, but I also hope that you are listening. Don't punish players because they seek to accomplish goals you hadn't expected. You all created this awesome game by thinking outside the box. Maybe its time you returned to that which is making this game incredible and try to chase the impossible goals as well.

Ember needs a UTILITY power.

All she has is Damage, Damage, Damage, Damage.

OK, so maybe she's not meant to tank, but can she get SOMETHING that does something other than straight-up Damage?

What's the point of having 4 keys that do basically the same thing (damage). You're just going to pick one, and roll with it, whichever does the most damage.

Every other 'frame in the game has at least 1 utility, defensive or otherwise non-damage skill. Why should Ember be any different?

IMO: Get rid of Fireskin/Overheat altogether and replace it with, I don't know...

1). Gunblaze: Adds +Fire Damage onto your ranged weapons' attacks. Yes, I know, damage, but this is at least more different than her other 3 abilities.

2). Smolder: Causes a large amount of smoke around her, making it impossible for enemies to target her specifically for ranged attacks, and blinds enemies within melee range (Note: Blind, not Stun like Radial Blind does). She can still get hit by gunfire because enemies would fire blindly into the smoke, and melee units would swing in random directions and she can still get hit this way.

3). Molten Armor: Covers her in molten rock, greatly increasing her armor stat and temporarily allowing armor to reduce damage done to her shields, and sets enemies who strike her with melee attacks ablaze (DoT). The armor could be +75/100/125/150. Steel Fiber would be applied _before_ this buff, to keep it from being overpowered. If this is a bit too powerful, she could maybe take 5 health damage per second during the duration to keep her from spamming it.

4). Blazing Fury: Ignites a Fury within Ember and her allies, increasing Critical Hit chance for a short period of time.

Just some suggestions thrown out there.

Edited by Xylia

As a long time Ember player (she was the first frame I farmed), I had a blast playing her up in the front lines, as I primary melee. This new change to overheat is appropriate for her concept, but not proper for her skill set. All of her abilities, bar her first, require you to be very close to her enemies. Trouble is that she isn't tough enough to survive that close up. I feel like something should be added to overheat to add just a little more survivability, something simple like increased range and giving a very high chance to force enemies into the burning animation. That way you aren't any harder to kill, but you'll take less of a beating from things close to you, as you'll have a few seconds of them burning to get away. I don't terribly mind the debuff, but it warrants some kind of replacement to actually help her survive in the only place she can function: close range.

DEMegan, And Scott,

I know you probably have many players who have come to this thread in rallied support or hatred for the changes intended to help bring Ember back to her proper state, but I have but one question to ask of Scott in particular: Was the change to overheat really necessary?

I'm not saying this as a gripe, but to give some insight to what have been an over-estimation on the part of the dev team. There are many players of Warframe that have played many other games. For those of us that remember the glory days of Final Fantasy XI, I can honestly compare Ember to the Ninja class. Ninja was originally designed to be a damage dealer, using powerful ninja magic to enfeeble their foes before blowing them up with elemental magic, all while cutting them to shreads with strong physical attacks and elementally aligned weapon skills. Somewhere along the lines, someone discovered that one of the skills, known as Utsusemi, allows a Ninja to tank. In fact, with the right player, they tanked so expertly that they shamed every other tank in the game by a vast margin. Even though I refused to accept Ninja as a tank class, I could not deny that masterful players of the class were some of the best tanks I've ever played with.

What does this have to do with Overheat? You may not like it, and it may leave you with a sour taste in your mouth, but Overheat is not what made Ember tankworthy. Mitigating damage is a potent means of survival, which is something admirable given her vulnerable nature. It is never enough to have the enemy shoot you in the face. Being a tank means making enemies -want- to shoot you in the face over and over until their guns explode from overheating. If a player has discovered the art of turning this skill into a potent tanking asset by becoming a reckless Enmity/Aggro machine, they should be applauded, not punished.

While I understand that the dev team wants each frame to fit a role that is complete unique, even you must accept that players will become masters at doing what hadn't been considered. Not every wants to play a frame as designed. Regardless of what you do, they will try to take things to the next level by pursuing goals outside the norm.

I hope that I enjoy the vision you all had intended for Ember, as I have not yet had an opportunity to see how things are since the update, but I also hope that you are listening. Don't punish players because they seek to accomplish goals you hadn't expected. You all created this awesome game by thinking outside the box. Maybe its time you returned to that which is making this game incredible and try to chase the impossible goals as well.

This, I can't agree anymore. You have to realize, even WITH overheat before as it was, Ember is still squishy enough that if you activate it at the wrong time, or don't take your surroundings into consideration (especially with armor piercing enemies like the evicerators) that overheat can still be a liability. I'm entirely aware Ember shouldn't be a tanking warframe, even with overheat before, she still wasn't. It was something to use in conjunction with her World on Fire to minimize the damage she takes from needing to be farily close to the enemy to use it. But to say she's a heavy damage warframe when 2/3rds of the enemies in the game resist fire is also misleading. So to differentiate her from her superior damaging counterparts like Nova, you gotta have some utility to offset that. As mentioned before, as is, fireball is nearly useless (I've never come across a situation where it was ever beneficial to use one over another ability), and fireblast has issues with HOW it deals damage, moreover, how little damage it already deals in comparison to WoF.

Consider another point if you will. Weapons have mods that can overcome heavy armor types and resistances basically like armor piercing, or elemental mods. Warfames do not. There is no way outside of focus to actually offset the inherent fire resistance for most enemies outside of infested.

As he said, if you do consider leaving overheat as is, at least consider the current changes for ember's existing abilities.

This is not meant to be a criticism of game design, or a complaint because I've come to use Ember in such away since she was added (I've been using her since around the time Banshee was added I believe), its just usually these balance modifications are a give/take type of thing, with more taking happening than giving this time around. Just realize when you make these changes, especially to a Warframe with a vague goal of "heavy damage" that they're going to be measure up to 'other' heavy damage warframes. And so far, it looks like Nova comes out ahead this time, that's all.

Well said. Having mained Ember myself since the day I got her(19 million xp and counting), I have to say this change is devastating, DE. I understand she's supposed to be a battle caster, but this change to Overheat could easily take her off the list of viable frames for solo play. This would make me sad because I'm in a small clan, and I don't always want to be forced to PUG missions if none of my clanmates are on just so I can run Ember. Especially with her total lack of armor and speed, she is pretty much now going to become a sitting duck even while in Overheat. Why couldn't you have maybe buffed her speed a bit to compensate for this, giving her some kind of an escape mechanism from eventual Ancient/Heavy Gunner beatdowns? I mean, she is supposed to be a flame elemental for crying out loud, and to have a character with such low armor be so slow hasn't ever made much sense to me, but I dealt with it because she had a decent rate of survivablility with Overheat in its previous state. However, at this point, I feel this is a necessary change that should be made if you're not going to return Overheat to the wonderful state it was in before. I'm hoping other Ember players will agree with me here, because my clanmates all agree it makes perfect sense. Also, on a related side note, I'm tired of having to bother with using valuable mod points on rush just to boost her speed a bit, especially now that she'll need more powerful health and shield mods to even survive most places.

Fireball: Much better, but still hard to target. Could it home slightly? That would make it absolutely worth the cost.

Overheat: Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. It's not stopping enough damage to be defensive and it's just not worth it damage wise. You've put it in a bad place with this change, either put it back or start over entirely.

Fireblast: It's actually ok now. Not great, but ok. I feel like it needs something. Someone earlier suggested a propagating dot. That sounds awesome.

3). Molten Armor: Covers her in molten rock, greatly increasing her armor stat and temporarily allowing armor to reduce damage done to her shields, and sets enemies who strike her with melee attacks ablaze (DoT). The armor could be +75/100/125/150. Steel Fiber would be applied _before_ this buff, to keep it from being overpowered. If this is a bit too powerful, she could maybe take 5 health damage per second during the duration to keep her from spamming it.

This is basically what overheat is now, but slightly more tanky. Overheat still adds damage reduction at max level equivalent to about +70 to +110 armour, depending on whether focus is equipped. Your +150 armour proposal would be equivilant to ~60% damage reduction, instead of the maximum ~53% It has now. I don't think that would be a significant change, and it's certainly not worth taking damage for.

Utility is good, but please keep suggestions either well-researched, or focus on flavour. Suggestions which don't make sense can hurt your entire premise.

Well said. Having mained Ember myself since the day I got her(19 million xp and counting), I have to say this change is devastating, DE. I understand she's supposed to be a battle caster, but this change to Overheat could easily take her off the list of viable frames for solo play.

This is actually a big concern for me which I somewhat overlooked. Given my experiences with ember herself and other, tougher frames, this damage reduction won't be sufficient for soloing high level stages, especially against bosses. Even frost prime needs to snow globe often to live on tougher solo stages, and he is almost as durable naturally as the new ember would be if she could somehow maintain overheat permanently. Either I'd need to stick to low level stages, or I'd need to just use long range weapons and never bother with powers or energy, which frankly defeats the point of playing warframe instead of a miscellaneous shooter.

EDIT: Fixed typos.

Edited by Kinethia

Now, I see some of people actually suggest to change the idea of Overheat and Fire Skin into totally something else.

I say I agree. However, I'm sorry, but, Ember doesn't need damage buff, or other buff like Rhino's Roar. Because, clearly, the buff is worthless to risk your life into.

What she need is a way to run away from dangerous situation, because of her other skill FORCES her into such situations. (World on Fire, hello? Anyone remember how short its range IS!?)

Maybe she can use a Smokebomb-esque skill, where she got covered in Smog and rendered invisible or decreasing enemies' long range accuracy dramatically, and halts melee enemies from advancing. Still can be damaged, if you guys in the crew REALLY want her to die that easily.

Or maybe a Speed-esque skill that gives her temporary increase in Speed, and nothing else. Faster than Volt's Speed, but it doesn't do anything to Fire Speed and skill casting speed, unlike Volt's.

Or, a better option.

Revert Overheat.

Just... Revert it to what it was.

It's simple.

Maybe she can use a Smokebomb-esque skill, where she got covered in Smog and rendered invisible or decreasing enemies' long range accuracy dramatically, and halts melee enemies from advancing. Still can be damaged, if you guys in the crew REALLY want her to die that easily.

Or maybe a Speed-esque skill that gives her temporary increase in Speed, and nothing else. Faster than Volt's Speed, but it doesn't do anything to Fire Speed and skill casting speed, unlike Volt's.

(ash and volt give each other a blank stare before walking away, shaking their heads in disappointment before a lowly tumble weed is blown across the way from the empty wind)

Edited by FoxyKabam

If you're attempting to make balance changes to a class/warframe the first thing you have to look at is how it will function. Not what you imagine or dream it'll do.

Functionally, without looking at numbers or any form of measurement, Ember would be best described as a "Close-Quarters-Battle or Assault based Warframe". Every single one of her abilities support this, and it makes sense:

Fireball is most effective when used in a clump of enemies, to maximise the lingering DoT.

Overheat was a close range DoT, with some survivability.

World on fire required you to be in melee range, or close to.

Fire blast requires you to be in melee range, or close to.

The whole point of the frame is that you get into melee and start dishing out damage. Remember the old adage: A dead dps does no dps? Well guess what. You're Ember. And guess what. You're dead.

If you're going to stick it out in melee range with a bunch of enemies you need tools to survive. Damage reduction, damage avoidance, heals or crowd control. You need enough of these four things. Previously Ember managed to get by with just the damage reduction, because it was potent enough to not warrant anything else. Now that her only defensive ability has been nerfed, she needs something else to pick up the slack.

I understand that you wanted a caster frame, I do. But that's not how Ember plays. You can watch any player with Ember. They're not sitting back, hiding behind the Rhino throwing abilities out then retreating. They're running ahead causing mayhem. That's just how the frame plays, pure and simple.

The first problem wasn't her abilities. Omitting the bugs, they were fully functional and with U10 would have probably functioned a lot better in terms of the damage they needed. The problem is her frame. She has the stats of a caster but doesn't play like one.

She didn't need damage, she needed survivability. Add a fear to the fireball's impact target. Make fireblast pull enemies hit into the centre and put the constant damage inside the ring. The mark of a balanced frame is control, not damage.

TLDR: EMBER ISN'T A CASTER, STOP PRETENDING SHE IS ONE!

Edited by Holynight6

I'm guessing DE didn't learn from the Rhino Nerf did they, It looks like they need to really re-think the idea of changing a frame first then asking about it second, they would save themselves a lot of backlash by going hey we plan on doing x to x what do you think, then listening to the feedback and going from there.

I'm guessing DE didn't learn from the Rhino Nerf did they, It looks like they need to really re-think the idea of changing a frame first then asking about it second, they would save themselves a lot of backlash by going hey we plan on doing x to x what do you think, then listening to the feedback and going from there.

Or you know, actually playing the frame...