Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Open World

_Nobody_

7 hours ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I honestly want ForTuna to be the last. DE needs to get back to regularly released content. 

They are going to continue doing open worlds because it brings in more players thus more income. I agree, I miss regular released content as well but I also am in favor of the polished and QOL updates. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)RhinoCharging00 said:

I've been out of the loop for a while, haven't logged in either, so can someone just let me know if Fortuna is immediately accessible, regardless of MR or your star chart completion, and if it not what is required to access it?

Thanks, guys.

Pretty sure its as long as you've unlocked Venus. But its not on ps4 yet

On 2018-11-11 at 1:40 PM, _Nobody_ said:

They are going to continue doing open worlds because it brings in more players thus more income. I agree, I miss regular released content as well but I also am in favor of the polished and QOL updates. 

Until people understand what a real "OPEN WORLD" map is and how Fortuna and POE are unfortunately basically wastelands.

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎11 at 4:32 AM, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

I honestly want ForTuna to be the last. DE needs to get back to regularly released content. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the release situation was more to do with them actually going back and trying to rebalance weapons and rework melee, two big projects which took a great deal of time out of their release cycle.

Thus, content drought.

33 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

The drought happened after that.

Exactly.

That took the place of a big release, and the Sacrifice was another since Cinematic quests take a lot of attention (partly due to requiring several of the big decision makers like Steve) regardless of how much content they bring. Thus, that was two of the 'big' projects bringing relatively little content, leaving only the updates that would usually tide us over between them. Therefore, there was a content drought.

On 2018-11-11 at 9:35 AM, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

I'd prefer to see DE do Mars next.

4 hours ago, Zari2015 said:

Until people understand what a real "OPEN WORLD" map is and how Fortuna and POE are unfortunately basically wastelands.

I agree.  Fortuna is a clear step above POE (especially in the map design), but it still feels quite empty because it’s underutilized.  Some things that are missing:

1) mission types that naturally take you around the landscape (e.g., Hijack),

2) genuinely interactive bases (e.g., spaceport/depot should be an active space port/depot) and should be actual digging at a dig site),

3) Solaris resistance should do some actual resisting independent of the player (one thing missing is the random bounties, haven’t seen one yet).  

A few other things that could also help:

A)  regular large convoys that can be ambushed at will;

B) labor camps throughout the Vallis where Solaris are doing actual work;

C) a gulag with actual prisoners;

D) the ability to drive all sorts of those Corpus vehicles; and 

E) A clearer notoriety system, with longer delay before lowering the alert level and the introduction of mini-boss bounty hunters who must be killed when players reach an additional 5th tier.

I think Mars would be a better choice for the next one because it could actually be an improvement over Fortuna.  First, Mars has so much existing lore that touches on multiple factions, including Grineer, Orokin, and Infested, and the Corpus used to be there and still have a presence there.  Second, Mars could be an improvement over Orb Vallis by making it a crossfire landscape with Grineer and Corpus regularly competing for different regions, while any assortment of Corrupted, Infested, Sentient or even allied friendly factions could also interrupt the two.  Third, Mars could take it a step further by having a more involved campaign that helps provide context and meaning to the landscape beyond a mere introductory quest.  Fourth, Mars could be quite a bit more diverse than PoE or Fortuna by including a greater variety of arid geological features (e.g., oases, canyons, mesas, dunes, etc.).  Fifth, Mars could have all of the elements of Fortuna with the additional features above.

3 hours ago, Arktourus said:

I agree.  Fortuna is a clear step above POE (especially in the map design), but it still feels quite empty because it’s underutilized.  Some things that are missing:

1) mission types that naturally take you around the landscape (e.g., Hijack),

2) genuinely interactive bases (e.g., spaceport/depot should be an active space port/depot) and should be actual digging at a dig site),

3) Solaris resistance should do some actual resisting independent of the player (one thing missing is the random bounties, haven’t seen one yet).  

A few other things that could also help:

A)  regular large convoys that can be ambushed at will;

B) labor camps throughout the Vallis where Solaris are doing actual work;

C) a gulag with actual prisoners;

D) the ability to drive all sorts of those Corpus vehicles; and 

E) A clearer notoriety system, with longer delay before lowering the alert level and the introduction of mini-boss bounty hunters who must be killed when players reach an additional 5th tier.

I think Mars would be a better choice for the next one because it could actually be an improvement over Fortuna.  First, Mars has so much existing lore that touches on multiple factions, including Grineer, Orokin, and Infested, and the Corpus used to be there and still have a presence there.  Second, Mars could be an improvement over Orb Vallis by making it a crossfire landscape with Grineer and Corpus regularly competing for different regions, while any assortment of Corrupted, Infested, Sentient or even allied friendly factions could also interrupt the two.  Third, Mars could take it a step further by having a more involved campaign that helps provide context and meaning to the landscape beyond a mere introductory quest.  Fourth, Mars could be quite a bit more diverse than PoE or Fortuna by including a greater variety of arid geological features (e.g., oases, canyons, mesas, dunes, etc.).  Fifth, Mars could have all of the elements of Fortuna with the additional features above.

Very well said! Mars is the perfect place for DE to perfect their open world system. It's a natural place to have some true diversity of factions, gameplay, and biomes (good open world is in part about diversity of gameplay experiences). It already features the presence of Grineer, Corpus, and Infested (per lore), was home to Ballas and an Orokin society (per lore), and is where Steel Meridian defends the Martian colony from the Grineer. it is a place that can feature arid, semi-arid, and frozen biomes. It can feature some presence from all major factions in the game (Grineer, Corpus, Infested, Orokin, and Sentient), can feature diverse gameplay modes/systems due to its combat-themed focus (armed resistance against the Grineer, conflict between Grineer and Corpus, Infested wild faction, etc.), and can offer much more variety in terms of vehicles that are accessible to players. It's the perfect place for the next open world, much better and more diverse than doing Eris. And it can tie into the New War, with the Grineer and Corpus renewing conflict with each other as they also try to fight off the Sentients. And with an Orokin presence on Mars (possible through old Orokin ruins and buried tech), you could have the Corpus bringing to bare hybrid Sentient tech while the Grineer are using hybrid Orokin tech. You could also expand Railjack into a full on crossfire mode between Grineer and Corpus above Mars, with the Tenno in the middle of it all. In all, it would be a beautiful update that could really expand Warframe.

I hope DE strongly considers doing Mars as their next open world.

22 hours ago, (PS4)EpICFreeDoMZz said:

Pretty sure its as long as you've unlocked Venus. But its not on ps4 yet

Yeah, I saw it was p.c only...it usually is that way with any patch, update etc...isn't it?

Something to do with the time it takes the console manufactures to pass the patch/update fit for release, I think?

I have Venus unlocked, so hopefully I can visit Fortuna as soon as it arrives on ps4.

22 hours ago, Zari2015 said:

Well technically speaking calling free roams "open world" is one of biggest mislabels in the genre I have seen in while.

It's 4man instance. The only difference between these and literaly every other mission node in the game is that A) it is big chunk of premade map instead of randomised from a tileset B) it has no constant objective. if you someone wanted to be extremely picky, also smartly hidden loading screen.

23 hours ago, Zari2015 said:

Open world, or open-world, is a term for a video game in which a player can roam a virtual world and approach objectives freely, as opposed to a game with more linear gameplay.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

By the standard definition, Landscapes are open world. Just because they don't have all of the features you expect doesn't mean they're disqualified from using the label.
Edited by Corvid

1 hour ago, (PS4)RhinoCharging00 said:

Yeah, I saw it was p.c only...it usually is that way with any patch, update etc...isn't it?

Something to do with the time it takes the console manufactures to pass the patch/update fit for release, I think?

I have Venus unlocked, so hopefully I can visit Fortuna as soon as it arrives on ps4.

Its the same way with every update. Consoles will usually get it anywhere between a few weeks to a few months. Its this way because they want PC to essentially beta test the update. Any bugs they'll patch out and fix. That's why we'll tend to get 2 or 3 updates as one. Then we'll go into cert which is just ms and Sony checking its up to standards which takes a few days. We'll likely get it around December.

Have there been any hints on that there is something big with infested coming? Or are people just assuming that's the next faction to be expanded, despite already confirmed Railjack and that other thing, what was it called, oh right.. THE NEW WAR against Sentients? 

I don't mind the open worlds, but as mentioned DE does have a lot of things they need to fix with existing content, which I think should get priority for a couple of months before adding even more on that list. PoE also has room for a lot of additions, which can easily be made without having to design and implement another new world. Or else that's quite a wasted opportunity. Good thing some things were at least updated there along with Fortuna and Chimera. 

But if a new world would be inevitable, then I would really want to see what the Sentients have been up to. I assume they have occupied some planet or moon somewhere, and I would love if the upcoming war could mainly take place here, instead of existing tiles. Gods forbid it just be out in space using archwing along with Railjack.

As someone else mentioned, some well preserved Orokin city would be insanely cool as well. All these ruins we got so far are cool and all, but it just keeps you wonder how it all looked in full glory. If done through time rifts it could even be populated with the actual people!

5 hours ago, Corvid said:
Open world, or open-world, is a term for a video game in which a player can roam a virtual world and approach objectives freely, as opposed to a game with more linear gameplay.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

By the standard definition, Landscapes are open world. Just because they don't have all of the features you expect doesn't mean they're disqualified from using the label.

HAHAHA very funny... stop being so "i'm the biggest fan".

6 hours ago, Elenortirie said:

Well technically speaking calling free roams "open world" is one of biggest mislabels in the genre I have seen in while.

It's 4man instance. The only difference between these and literaly every other mission node in the game is that A) it is big chunk of premade map instead of randomised from a tileset B) it has no constant objective. if you someone wanted to be extremely picky, also smartly hidden loading screen.

Anyway this guy is 100% right.

Learn from him...