General Bug Report Guidelines - Please Read ×

Warframe causing Hard PC Freeze.

mlkzikflwvlw

This post is my last try before buying a whole new computer. I have literally tried everything I could, never found anyone with a similar problem in the forums, so take a moment and read my drama.

I started playing warframe around July, and the game ran smooth in the first 100 hours or so. All my other games ever had like 2 or 3 crashes of this exact type so It's worth knowing that.

The issue: Anywhere or anytime randomly into the game (missions, solo, public, cinematics, at the ship, at dojo, etc) my game will freeze with the last 0,1 seconds of audio repeating itself like Optimus Prime. After this, nothing works, not even the caps lock or numlock lights in my keyboards will respond. When this happens the only thing left to do is to manually shut down the computer by holding power button. This freeze leaves no logs in the system, no error screen. When I turn the computer on again, the only log in windows event viewer is the unexpected shutdown (because I manually turned it off). First, it only happened at Hydron in a very specific moment between waves when the elevator goes up. After some time it started happening everywhere to the point everything looks like coincidence now.

What I have tried:

• Optimizing/Verifying from launcher;
  • Reinstalling Warframe/Steam;
  • Installing Warframe Standalone version;
  • Updating Drivers;
  • Shutting down/uninstalling antivirus and other programs with common issues;
  • Reinstalling Windows;
  • Downgrading GPU driver to different highly stable versions;
  • Testing all combinations of Directx checkboxes in launcher options;
  • Changing graphics settings many times;
  • Buying brand new SSD and installing windows and warframe in it;
  • Temperatures are OK;
  • HeavenBenchmark PASSED;
  • Prime95 PASSED;
  • Memtest PASSED;

Worth noting that my other games very very rarely cause this, warframe is like kryptonite for my PC. It`s hard to have a session of at least 30 minutes where this won't happen, while in other games this happened once or twice this year. It never happens when I'm doing low stress stuff like watching videos or browsing the internet, but I also can't replicate the freeze by stress testing with the tools mentioned above. Outside of this, the game runs perfectly with no performance drops or lag.

My specs:

• AMD FX6300 cpu;
  • Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 mobo;
  • 2x DDR3 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1666mhz on Dual Channel (Factory Twins);
  • EVGA GTX 650 TI 2GB with factory OC;
  • 500w Corsair CX500 80 plus bronze PSU;
  • 120GB Kingston 2.5 SA400S37 500/320mb reading/writing.

The computer is 5 years old, and I know, pretty outdated but more than enough to run Warframe. If it were dying I believe the benchmarks would tell, so what the hell is happening here?

When you say Temps are okay, do you mean in Warframe? I ask because for some reason Warframe heats up my other 970 rig more than any benchmark or game. Still have no idea why either. Also, it's possible to pass faulty VRAM in benchmarks. You often have to let them go for hours but there's also programs specific to testing that.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/video_memory_stress_test.html

Also if your MB happens to use a Realtek chip like most. I recall an old ALC chipset had serious problems and required a drive / Bios update to fix. I know you said you updated drivers but a lot of people skip on sound. If all these boxes are checked then it might sadly be a faulty Motherboard, a full system crash like that is very rare and since experience it in other games. I'm smelling faulty hardware..

Do you happen to have other interchangeable parts?

[UPDATE]
Managed to somehow suspend the computer in the middle of the freeze, and it finally generated a windows log after restarting.

Got the error: "nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" multiple times in a minute.

My PCI express power management was on and I turned it off. Game worked like a charm for maybe 2 hours, then the crashes started again.

Oh, is that the old TDRdelay problem. Nvidia cards had that for various reasons. Take your pick honestly.

There's a couple ways to fix it but usually it doesn't cause a full system crash. It's more program crashes and black screens for a moment then it comes back up. There are a few different ways to try and fix it if that's the case. The Registry edit tends to have the most success. Sometimes video Bios updates.

1. Goto registry editor (start -> run -> regedit)
2. Navigate yourself to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers (make sure GraphicsDrivers is highlighted).
3. Right click -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) value -> Name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set it to A (hexadecimal) or 10 (decimal).

Might be a 64-bit DWORD as well. I had this problem with a 460 back in the day.

Also make sure your Power settings are set to optimal for the PC in Control Panel.

44 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Oh, is that the old TDRdelay problem. Nvidia cards had that for various reasons. Take your pick honestly.

There's a couple ways to fix it but usually it doesn't cause a full system crash. It's more program crashes and black screens for a moment then it comes back up. There are a few different ways to try and fix it if that's the case. The Registry edit tends to have the most success. Sometimes video Bios updates.

1. Goto registry editor (start -> run -> regedit)
2. Navigate yourself to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlGraphicsDrivers (make sure GraphicsDrivers is highlighted).
3. Right click -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) value -> Name it: TdrDelay -> double click it -> Set it to A (hexadecimal) or 10 (decimal).

Might be a 64-bit DWORD as well. I had this problem with a 460 back in the day.

Also make sure your Power settings are set to optimal for the PC in Control Panel.

Before I try this, I must say that I had a long session today with no crashes by installing EVGA Precision and setting -100mhz in GPU Clock Offset. Mine is OC from factory.

I'll preport here if I get more freezes.