Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Honestly, disable Archwings in the Vallis to give K-drives a real purpose.

Cryssoberyl

15 minutes ago, NotTungsten said:

Stop saying no.

Whats the point of travelling if u cant have fun doing it. 

I honestly think it would be a great idea to stop people from using the archwing in vallis, Its much more boring than the k-drive.

here this guy out, he makes a valid point.

You do realize that "fun" and "boring" are completely subjective, right? I see no fun in K-drive, so I don't use it to travel, not to mention that Archwing has useful skills, while K-drive is just a boring plank.

I respectfully disagree with the OP's opinion.

During bounties, it's important to be able to travel from one point to another to another as quickly as possible.  The Itzal Archwing's first ability (Blink) allows it to teleport as much as 400 meters in one use. This can greatly decrease the time required to get from one point to another. 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Itzal#Abilities

Also, any Archwing can equip the Hyperion Thrusters mod which can increase flight speed as much as 27.5% at max rank:

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Hyperion_Thrusters

In my opinion, K-drives are more fun to use than Archwings & I use K-drives when I'm on my own out in Orb Vallis or I'm in a bounty mission but I'm only traveling a short distance.

This is a mistake that a lot of "bosses" or "leaders" and even developers make.

to force someone to use x instead of y, remove y altogether. <--- this is the wrong approach any issue.

instead, you need to make the K-Drive more appealing to use over the Archwing.

How? I don't know and honestly, that's not my job to figure out. I'm just the paying customer, and what the paying customer wants is to be able to finish the mission as efficiently as possible. In this case, the Archwing is the most optimal way to do it and until the KDrive somehow becomes a better choice for making missions optimal, I'm going to stick with the Archwing.

Also, I think this is more of an oversight from DE. When I saw the reveal of Fortuna and the KDrive, The first thing that came to mind was, Whats the point in this if i can get there faster with the Archwing... must be some sort of fun minigame on the side. If DE would really wanted us to use the K-Drive for transportation, they would have made "atmospheric conditions" in certain areas of Vallis muck up the systems making the Archwing (still usable) but much slower. and in those areas the Kdrive would shine! So 
1- you don't remove the Archwing, only limiting the regions where they can fly
2- you make the Kdrive have a purpose of traveling faster within those "areas" in Vallis. 

I remember hearing when they first teased Fortuna, the stormy, wintery skies would make Archwing "difficult" to use and sort of encourage those to use the boards instead. Perhaps that could be a solution to make the boards actually have some use, with the windy, wild skies of Venus throwing around Archwing users a little, or generally making flight a bit more complex than just zipping and not using a fun mechanic at all. Or maybe even have it in tune with the temperature system, when it's warm skies are clearer for good flights, and as things get colder, flight gets harder to fly in a single straight line. Even just forcing players to fly "low" to the ground, having to weave around mountains, would make it interesting, with some hopping around on boards while others stay a few meters in the air, nobody really lagging behind.

Removing flight altogether seems counterintuitive, but a way to balance both boards and wings would really be a interesting change of pace and make the drives "useful" at least a tiny bit. 

Average tier 5 bounty with Archwings (thanks to bloody extractors):
16-17min

Average mission with K-Drive only (thanks to bloody noses and scratched knees):
30 min minimum

The grind is bad enough already and I'm not willing to waste extra time with K-Drives (or waiting for K-Drivers - no worries, I only play CC on bounties...).

Instead, K-Drives should get an archwing-competitive speed (don't think the 30% speed mod will cut it), how about a cruise mode with no tricks but jumps, higher ground distance and wider dampening and lower gravity to take on steep hills and do huge glide jumps?

11 hours ago, Toran said:

Instead, K-Drives should get an archwing-competitive speed (don't think the 30% speed mod will cut it), how about a cruise mode with no tricks but jumps, higher ground distance and wider dampening and lower gravity to take on steep hills and do huge glide jumps?

Now we're getting somewhere. What about a mod that lets you magnetize to any steep incline that isn't an overhang so you can get over those pesky mountains faster?

On 2018-11-12 at 3:08 PM, NotTungsten said:

Stop saying no.

Whats the point of travelling if u cant have fun doing it. 

I honestly think it would be a great idea to stop people from using the archwing in vallis, Its much more boring than the k-drive.

here this guy out, he makes a valid point.

No...  I won't stop saying no...  Particularly if it's a bad idea from the start.   And this is definitely a bad idea. 

When it comes to speed -- which the K-Drive doesn't have compared to even an Elytron -- the K-Drive seriously lacks.  Further, I don't want to be limited to ground movement when I can get aerial recon going on during any mission/incursion/bounty.  This is especially true during the Find the Caches Bounty mission which can easily be spotted from the sky.  

So unless we get serious speed mod to get up the various mountains -- it's far easier to fly over the mountain than traversing it on a board.

K-Drive is for fun, Archwing is for speed, you get the option for both. Removing one doesn't change that fact, and it's a yoke to use k-drive on Vallis, while it's 4 times bigger than PoE.

Edit: You know, DE honestly should have removed trade chat, to give Maroo's Bazaar a real purpose.

Edited by HaVVocado
For the sake of edits

This is a horrible idea, IMHO -- you're putting an artificial constraint on gameplay that will significantly impact player time spent on bounties.   It would be far better and more constructive to come up with ideas which make the use of K-Drives more appealing instead.

However, I would like to see a tweak to the grouping mechanism so that people *without* archwing launchers aren't grouped with people who have them if possible -- there are a lot of lower MR players who are going to have K-Drives *long* before they can acquire an Archwing launcher segment. (which requires MR5 and membership in a clan with it researched...)   And it is a good point that mixing the two is less than optimal - the people on the K-Drive will take significantly longer to get there (even if they can find the quickest route, which requires knowledge of the map...), which can make certain sub-missions fail.   (I would like to see a K-Drive mod which enables a visual "trail" in the Vallis, similar to those from the Prologue quests which can lead K-Drive riders to the next mission target...)

Or perhaps there might be new "bonus" types for missions which fail if Archwing use is detected, which would also encourage K-Drive use.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head.

Bit late to the party but another no here too, getting around OV is bad enough with archwing, let alone the even slower k-drives.... also why would I use k-drives over archwing, I have my hands free on both yet I can only use my guns on archwing...

Edited by LSG501

I honestly can't believe that people think this is a good idea. If I am with a group doing bounties I'm not trying to waste time being inefficient. If I am solo and just killing time or farming for resources I end up using the k-drive. It's a fun thing to use but in no way should it be forced upon players to use. If you're in a group doing bounties do not purposely be a burden in a group. Just like in PoE there were people that would join a bounty and make stops to go fishing or some other resource farm. That's not why you joined the group so do not be a pain. If you join a group not doing bounties and everyone does there own thing than I doubt there's any issues that will arise with preference of travel.  

On 2018-11-11 at 9:18 PM, Gnohme said:

I'm just a little bit confused by all this pushback that people "don't want to waste time getting from point A to point B" - okay... then why the open world? Why any of this?? There is NO gameplay taking place up in the air- that's all down on the ground.

When doing bounties I prefer to just get them done so the faster I can get from point A to point B the better. Then I can go exploring, mining, fishing and just take my time to enjoy the open world. That is how I do everything tbh; get the chores done asap so I can relax and have fun.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Leyvonne:

When doing bounties I prefer to just get them done so the faster I can get from point A to point B the better. Then I can go exploring, mining, fishing and just take my time to enjoy the open world. That is how I do everything tbh; get the chores done asap so I can relax and have fun.

Exactly. I don't consider Bounties fun but the annoying chore to get over with. Itzal for the win.

Still it would be nice if K-Drives could get at a competitive level with Archwings. Imagine a cruise mode where you could get to ridiculous speed using hills and mountains as ramps and zip Silver Surfer style across the map in a ballistic line, only a few seconds slower than an Archwing. Objectives are often 1km or further away and usually not in a straight line when sticking to the ground.

By now, I gave up waiting for others at containers or extractors too, only using CC-Warframes by now, I just zip there and start the stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I really like and enjoy K-Drives, DE made an excellent job there. I hope we see more work, wouldn't a K-Drive park be cool? New tricks, parcours, or races - cork screw loops?

Instead of taking Archwing away we need to make K-drives more useful.

K-drives should have their own abilities based on the parts used.
They could even add parts that would let players use Warframe specific K-drive abilities.

Parts could give all sorts of abilities just to give a few ideas:

- Boosters ranging from really fast short distance boosts and slower but longer duration, this will be on top of the regular k-drive sprint speed.
- Glide attachments would let you glide long distances.
- The ability to jump off and let the k-drive explode with an element based on the part used.
- A part that will auto trigger and pull you back on a rail while grinding, then goes on cooldown.
- A part that will let you double jump.

I would also love to see a part that lets us use a Warframe specific ability.
A per Warframe k-drive passive would also make sense.

Edited by Souchie

Honestly, no. 

Disabling it is too harsh.

If a challenge is desired, Archwing may get a debuff. 

I for one would not be against a fuel meter which automagically replenishes - think Pharah on Overwatch, but with the amout of fuel adjusted for warframe mechanics.

Another compensation for the ultra-mobility of Archwing is the introduction of harsh weather which would negatively impact flight autonomy, stability and weapon accuracy.

I also advocate enabling weapons and abilities when riding K-drives. With some kind of tradeoff, like being more likely to be knocked down, and reduced accuracy the faster you go.

Edited by BrazilianJoe

Horrible idea.  This has to be the stupidest thing anyone has ever suggested.  

If you want to run K-Drive, then by all means do so.  If your mad your late to the party and miss out on the fun of warframe (shooter), to bad.  

You can't have it both ways.  K-Drive don't even have combat ability.  They are mastery fodder. Fun, ok, but still mastery fodder.

Shoot guns = no

Mod = no (without large grind first)

Still to be determined if after modding they can keep up with archwings 

Customization - not really.  Some odd taste artwork on bottom but no glyphs or clan logos

I wanna move fast.  If K-Drive can deliver speed equivalent to archwings and some other bonus to account for disabling all my weapons and skills, I'll use.  

Otherwise I'm grinding the master points, building a board I can have fun with, but ignoring it for most play!

This is one of those "extremes" ideas you hear about when people don't see the simpler solution. To be honest I do feel the K-drive is pretty useless right now. But removing archwing in Vallis is a bad idea, it'd make people drop it completely outside of if they need something specific from it. It's MUCH larger than PoE and people already complained about getting around there without Archwing or one of the traversal frames (Zypher, Volt, etc.) 

They could make the K-drive more appealing to use, such as giving it some actual utility. It's fun sometimes right now, but as it is it's woefully inefficient. Let it jump higher, or at least ignore certain terrain hights. The biggest benefit of the Archwing is that it can literally fly over the mountains and cross above rough terrain. Boost it's speed, more than the 30% mod does. Let the different parts actually effect how good it is instead of being literally just for looks. Set it apart from the Archwing by making it unique but also make it useful and viable in any significant way other than "It kinda looks cool, and you can gain mastery with it.. oh and vent kids rep... for more... board... stuff... yea..." To be honest, the K-drive would probably have done much better in PoE and Archwing would have been much better suited for Vallis in terms of release, PoE is much more flat and the few mountains aren't usually sheer cliff faces so you could go up or down them without falling off your board. Either way, the K-drive needs some serious work. More speed, more maneuverability, more mobility and maybe even a hover mode to give it the ability to compete with the Archwing a bit. You do have to do slightly more work to get the Archwing launcher though, unless that too was changed recently.

You could encourage people to use the K-Drive by adding some nice yet costly rewards to the Ventkids.  Maybe even as simple as relic packs, but the little squirts get everywhere so could be anything from weapons to blueprints to crafting parts.   Once such a carrot is in place players have a more interesting choice between bounty speed and potential syndicate rewards.  Or maybe they'll still use archwing and then just spend a few hours going round in circles at The Pearl.

Edited by Invisibleaxeman

My opinion on this is simple. archwing is my choice during missions since i just want to finish as fast as possible or when i was to go to a certain area that is far away. While fishing or mining i use k drive and farm vent some standing (i like doing things my pace).

There is no need to remove archwing. This whole thing is simply "preference". If you think archwing is a problem then consider mining and fishing too because i always stop during bounties whenever i spot a hot spot or check for things to mine near the mission place.

THIS IS HOW YOU TRULY GRIND KIDS LET THEM DO YOUR BOUNTIES WHILE YOU MINE AND FISH OR EVEN ENJOY YOUR TEA TIME.