Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Beast Damage Mods

Spharin

I just got Frost Jaw to drop from some enemies in Vallis, it seems like they've added dual-stat status mods for Beasts. These mods would take even more slots up on our Beasts if we want to boost their damage a ton more. My assumption is that there's a dual-stat for every damage type as there are for every other weapon.

Do you guys think Beast attacks should be it's own melee "weapon", with these new mods? There's currently 6 mods now (excluding breed "augments" or mods such as Pounce, Sharpened Claws and Swipe, unsure if I'd be able to put these in the same catagory as the other mods.) that can affect our Beast damage, status and critical damage and chance.

The old damage mods prior to the addition of these dual-stats are Maul and Bite, which greatly increases our Beast damage, crit chance and crit damage.

Beasts currently get 2 extra mods slots though compared to our own weapons and warframes, though. What are all of your opinions on this? I don't believe there's enough mods for beasts that would push for beasts having their own weapons, so it would probably be silly and overpowered if they had their own melee "weapon."

• Like 5

New Beast Mods dropped from new Hyena variants in the Orb Vallis:

• Shock Collar (Beast): Increased Electricity/Status Chance 
  • Flame Gland (Beast): Increased Heat/Status Chance 
  • Frost Jaw (Beast): Increased Cold/Status Chance 
  • Venom Teeth (Beast): Increased Toxin/Status Chance 

These are really good on khora Venari. Snare procs the status effect and uses the damage. I am by no means against more slots for pets. There are a lot of companion mods I wish I could add to my Kavat and Kubrow. These make it even more wanted.

The problem is that pets even having 10 slots use those for too many different things together.

they have:

-precepts

- survivability (and don’t tell me atleast a couple of those are mandatory on contrary to the warframe ones)

-utility (fetch, animal instinct, hunter recovery, set mods)

-damage (bite, maul, kavat special attacks and now those)

dont nut get me wrong, choice is always a good thing but with the new mods it’s kinda getting ridiculous because for sure pets are meant to use their innate precepts and to survive and to attack, and that easily clutters 8/10 of those slots already.

some mods would be really fun and all to use, but there is no room. They should really just stop releasing mods for them or make it so we can actually use those mods

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JohnKable said:

dont nut get me wrong, choice is always a good thing but with the new mods it’s kinda getting ridiculous because for sure pets are meant to use their innate precepts and to survive and to attack, and that easily clutters 8/10 of those slots already.

some mods would be really fun and all to use, but there is no room. They should really just stop releasing mods for them or make it so we can actually use those mods

Fetch and Vacuum could have been easily removed from the game. All link HP mods could've been made into a single mod or removed completely. Precepts could have been moved to additional zero-capacity slots. There's a whole bunch of things that could have been done, DE just don't do them. 

14 minutes ago, AperoBeltaTwo said:

Fetch and Vacuum could have been easily removed from the game. All link HP mods could've been made into a single mod or removed completely. Precepts could have been moved to additional zero-capacity slots. There's a whole bunch of things that could have been done, DE just don't do them. 

Yep. IMHO precepts should have arcane-like slots so you can just choose to have them equipped or not.

link mods make no sense whatsoever, even if they want to keep this super dumb mechanic it should be built into companions as a passive (with lesser %) and have some real survivability mods that give you something regardless if you are using loki or inaros. 

I hope fixes, tweaks and a proper rework will happen soon. The horrible AI still has priority on everything else, then we can talk about mods, precepts etc

Edited by JohnKable

Yeah got to be honest, as much as I would like to try these new mods (I've got 2 so far) I just don't see any way I can fit them into the existing mod space except 'maybe' on venari (to be fair that's the only one with enough status to be useful) and even in venari's case it would only be 2 of them...

The thing is when I look at the benefit of these mods versus the builds I have, I'm just like, nope I'll stick with what I have. 

The issue like many others are saying is the fact we 'need' to have at least 2 of the link mods for health and armor/shields, then the precepts (especially on kavats), no matter what pet you run there are basically 5/6 mods we will always use... bite, maul, armor/shield link, health link, precept(s).  That's not even including beneficial utility mods like swipe, animal sense, hunter synergy/recovery, pack leader, medi pet, fetch etc. 

It really does feel like it's time for pets to get a separate mod page for 'attacking' or for some of the mods to be combined/removed with relevant adjustments to stats.  Maybe precepts need to be made into a passive like warframes have, that would gain us 1-2 slots depending on our builds, and combining the link mods into 1 'link' mod would free 1-2 slots.  Just those 2 changes alone would give us enough space to run 2 of the new mods or extra 'utility' mods if we prefer. 

• Like 1

The current state of companion modding is really frustrating. I feel like my build is always incomplete because I have to sacrifice multiple mods which end up making my companion's survivability garbage, or its damage weak. Given the state of the AI for these pets and the scaling of the enemies, I have to lean towards survivability in my builds which forces me to lose out on a lot of damage and fun utility in my builds. All these new mods for companions are extremely helpful or fun, but there just isn't space anymore in my builds.

JohnKable made a ton of great points and suggestions, namely the fact that we have to fit all the different classes of mods into one loadout. Sentinels at least have two separate loadouts which at least make modding bearable (one for weapon and one for precepts/utility/survivability). At this point, we need to stop making mods that will become increasingly difficult to fit in, add more slots, or make a lot of simple things (like link mods and precepts) baseline. A while ago it made sense to have these mods as a choice to fit in, or something to work towards fitting into a build. Now, it doesn't make sense to have these taking up a slot in our builds, they make sense as a baseline tool, we don't need filler anymore since there is a myriad of options to place into these empty slots and potentially many more to come.

I'm bothered less by the amount of slots and more by the lack of capacity, personally. You pretty much can't use any of the bigger mods maxed out unless its a specialty build like a no-shields Inaros companion, because 60 capacity isn't enough for 10 slots. Lack of slots you can at least try to justify by forcing you to specialize your pet instead of making them a master of of all trades with every mod available, but 60 capacity just isn't enough to use half the mods without leaving slots blank or under-ranked.

• 3 weeks later...

I find the capacity to be enough when you forma 8-9 times, but pets having no melee weapon but sentinels having their own weapons is not good. Why do sentinels get special treatment? My friend formaed his sentinel weapon a lot just for the sake of it and made it strong enough to kill sortie enemies quickly with a riven, sweeper it was. That's on top of having a sentinel that can survive. Sure, sentinels dont get link mods but the moas do, moas win in everything except utility where smeeta and adarza shine most.

It's totally unbalanced, and I'm not saying there shouldn't be a best utility and best damage and best survival and whatnot like there is, but make others more viable. Pets will still be melee attackers anyhow without fancy ranged weapons even if you give them their own weapons, so they already lose there. Sentinels except for helios and carrier should have better utility likewise.

It's a good system but god there's room for improvement.

I thik the best way would be to give the beasts seperate weapons and cut back the mod slots to 8 on the beast itself. this would make them equal to Sentinels and also free up the capacity. This would probably lead to Bite being split into two MODs, which would be fine as you will have 8 slots for a weapon and I am not sure if we have enough MODs yet to fill them. And as some MODs would move to the weapon category this will free up some space on the beast iself. MODs that qualify for weapons :

• Bite,Maul, Flame Gland, Frost Jaw, Venom Teeth, Shock Collar, Hunter Synergy, Mecha Overdrive
  • I am not sure about Hunter Recovery, Pack Leader, Pounce, Sharpened Claws, Swipe

Giving them Auras would be nice, but I don't have any ideas what they could do without being to good. This counts also for precepts working like arcanes, would be nice but most likely to good, if in combination with separte moddable weapons.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2018-12-11 at 5:51 AM, Naneel said:

I thik the best way would be to give the beasts seperate weapons and cut back the mod slots to 8 on the beast itself. this would make them equal to Sentinels and also free up the capacity. This would probably lead to Bite being split into two MODs, which would be fine as you will have 8 slots for a weapon and I am not sure if we have enough MODs yet to fill them. And as some MODs would move to the weapon category this will free up some space on the beast iself. MODs that qualify for weapons :

• Bite,Maul, Flame Gland, Frost Jaw, Venom Teeth, Shock Collar, Hunter Synergy, Mecha Overdrive
  • I am not sure about Hunter Recovery, Pack Leader, Pounce, Sharpened Claws, Swipe

Giving them Auras would be nice, but I don't have any ideas what they could do without being to good. This counts also for precepts working like arcanes, would be nice but most likely to good, if in combination with separte moddable weapons.

Sharpened Claws would fit more on the Beast itself, while Swipe should be on the weapon. My reasoning is that the former gives a new attack ability, similar to a precept, while the latter acts like Reach/Primed Reach. When it comes to Hunter Recover and Pack Leader, that's a bit more complicated for sure. It could go both ways, since it can be considered a Beast ability but also a weapon ability (similar to Life Strike).

• 1 month later...