A suggestion maybe not everyone will agree with.

ZStormWizard

Hey everyone,

So I really love the idea of wildlife conservation and the hunting and capturing the animals of the Orb Vallis, however, advanced futuristic technology aside, I feel that the map being marked with trail start points kind of takes away from the experience. I was expecting to pull out the Tranq Rifle and have to search far and wide for some sort of tracks or scat to start the trail, but I was sad to realize it's all right there marked on the map for you, taking most, if not all, of the challenge away from the hunt.

As for my suggestion regarding this... 
I think it would be fantastic if the start points were NOT marked on the map, but instead were visible within a certain range using the Tranq Rifle's scope, and obvious enough to the naked eye, similar to how entities are highlighted every few seconds when zoomed in with a Codex Scanner. Also adding other methods of finding a trail, besides just piles of scat.
Perhaps a tuft of fur caught on a jagged rock or a branch, a set of tracks in some particularly deep snow or mud near riverbanks, maybe even a blood trail for wounded animals. I really feel that the "tracking" part of conservation was sorely missed with this iteration. 

I think that these changes would add a lot of depth and enjoyment to the conservation side of Fortuna and the Orb Vallis, but it wouldn't make it too difficult for people who want to participate, but also focus on other parts of the expansion. Feel free to add further suggestions and thoughts on my ideas below! Thanks for reading!

-XS

To be honest I feel just the opposite, trying to follow white tracks in the snow and then those tracks turning the same color as the ground actually gave me eye strain, since this is just suppose to be just for fun and not like your on safari I would prefer the tracks be a brighter color like Red or some other color that would stand out from the surrounding area.

in one of the devstream they had a build where there were no map marks like we have now, it turned into 1h? "poo" hunt, i suspect thats why they addet them?

as for your suggestion, you can do this without them having to change anything, dont equip the tranq rifle, but the scanner, go look for the "poo" and start the hunt, follow the foot steps and so on.

Me?  I think animals should always be there in certain areas where enemies dont go often.     Like Kuakas and Condrocs, but in specific locations.

If you scare them off they all hide and you have to wait before they "come out" in that zone.    

Lure will let you "attract" specific variation of currently hunted animal type.   Instead of that random stuff we currently have.  

Yeah...Just like Fishing.  But with animals and a bit harder due to stealth requirement.  And you will have to pick the "right" one, because once you shoot, rest will flee.

13 hours ago, Pendragon1951 said:

To be honest I feel just the opposite, trying to follow white tracks in the snow and then those tracks turning the same color as the ground actually gave me eye strain, since this is just suppose to be just for fun and not like your on safari I would prefer the tracks be a brighter color like Red or some other color that would stand out from the surrounding area.

I agree that the tracks are hard to follow, and it would be nice if they were highlighted a bit brighter for that phase of the hunt.

12 hours ago, imbressive said:

in one of the devstream they had a build where there were no map marks like we have now, it turned into 1h? "poo" hunt, i suspect thats why they addet them? ...

Yeah, I recall that devstream, when Reb stayed way past the end time searching for the starting point, which is why I suggested they be lit up in the scope like when you zoom in using a Codex Scanner. I like what Kainosh suggested to make this particular part of the hunt easier, in that animals, and their traces, are more easily found in unpopulated areas around the Orb Vallis. These areas could be lit up when you have the Tranq Rifle equipped, so you know where you can search.

For me, conservation as it stands feels like just another chore to get standing, rather than a fun optional addition to the game for people who enjoy that kind of activity. The problem with simply not equipping the Tranq Rifle and searching is that there's no sure way to know what kind of area to search in to find these animal traces, which is why it was such a problem on the devstream, I think. If DE were to limit the spawn areas to certain unpopulated areas of the Orb Vallis, mark these areas for us, and cause the start points to be highligted in the Tranq Rifle scope, it could make the activity much more enjoyable as a whole for many people.

Thanks for your replies and thoughts!

-XS

Edited by eXSive